• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Guardians of the Galaxy 2021 GOTY

Arsic

I just completed this game last night, and I have to say this is easily the best game of 2021. Previously for me it was Resident Evil 8, but this wins in spades.

The game wins in so many ways. An action comic game that isn’t open world with incredible visuals , fantastic dialogue & voice acting, wonderful soundtrack , great environments , and a satisfying combat system .

It could’ve used more refinement in enemy encounters to bolster use of the combat to its fullest because half way in you just destroy everything with no issues. I’d love to see more customization options if we get a sequel, and more challenging combat encounters to make use of abilities.

It’s possibly the most slept on game as of late. If you have Xbox Game Pass on PC , definitely play this. It’s one of the only games I’ve played on my 3080 that I can max out everything , with ray tracing, at 4K, and have 60+ fps without issues. This game rivals just about anything out there that’s a visual wower; and stand on its own two feet without issues.

I’m not a big fan of the Guardians lore either but this was a much better look for Peter. I think Chris Pratt just kinda sucks and the one in the game is a much more realized character. Looks way cooler to boot.

Anyone else slept on this game ?

I just completed this game last night, and I have to say this is easily the best game of 2021. Previously for me it was Resident Evil 8, but this wins in spades.

The game wins in so many ways. An action comic game that isn’t open world with incredible visuals , fantastic dialogue & voice acting, wonderful soundtrack , great environments , and a satisfying combat system .

It could’ve used more refinement in enemy encounters to bolster use of the combat to its fullest because half way in you just destroy everything with no issues. I’d love to see more customization options if we get a sequel, and more challenging combat encounters to make use of abilities.

It’s possibly the most slept on game as of late. If you have Xbox Game Pass on PC , definitely play this. It’s one of the only games I’ve played on my 3080 that I can max out everything , with ray tracing, at 4K, and have 60+ fps without issues. This game rivals just about anything out there that’s a visual wower; and stand on its own two feet without issues.

I’m not a big fan of the Guardians lore either but this was a much better look for Peter. I think Chris Pratt just kinda sucks and the one in the game is a much more realized character. Looks way cooler to boot.

Anyone else slept on this game ?
I got it when it first came out and completely agree, I loved it.

Last edited:

DerFuggler

Totally agree! I was initially put off by Starlord's VO but it quickly grew on me. I guess that was my biggest hangup.
But yeah, it's shame so many will miss out on this game because of the complete mess of a collaborative pseudo-human effort known as Marvel's Avengers.

ungalo

That's an average game for me. There is some heart in it though. In every Eidos game (except perhaps Thief, i didn't play it), even if it's not incredible there are still very enjoyable bits. But i think i even prefer Shadow of the Tomb Raider to Guardians.

Esca

From the little I remember I really enjoyed the game. Actually planning to replay it sometime soon

Verchod

I'm still working my way through it. I like everything about it except the combat. I think the combat is tedious and really puts me off

Reactions: Fbh

TexMex

I think it’s massively overrated and gets a huge lift because everyone thought it was going to be total shit and it ended up being pretty good. It’s definitely shocking how decent it is.

I think the fact that it tanked so hard initially was good because with word of mouth and a quick price drop it hit a perfect sweet spot. Definitely a very solid 7/10 game for the $30 or so bucks most people bought it for.

Larxia

Amazing game, I also played it not long ago, and we actually had a thread about this a few weeks ago :messenger_grinning_smiling:

I gave my final thoughts after finishing the game there

Really great game, loved it. For me it was actually a more memorable experience than Spider-Man, I did enjoy spider-man too but it wasn't as special for me, since I already played so many spider-man games before. But this one, I don't know, it had something, the characters, the writing, the atmosphere, it really felt like a love letter to this franchise and it was brillant.

Hoddi

I finished it a couple of weeks ago and I absolutely loved it. One of the better games of this type in recent years and it really nailed the overall vibe.

tmlDan

Loved the characters and the story but i hated the combat immensely.

Everything else was fantastic, it should have done better.

Wouldn't put it near GOTY tho personally.

hrab

Gameplay wise is not much more advanced then PAW patrol games, but visuals, dialogs and voice acting are top notch. If kingdom hearts games or FF7 remake had that kind of writing and voice acting quality, they could actually be playable, but this will never happen.

tommib

I played this for 45 minutes on PS+ and deleted it forever. It's a mix of everything and nothing. Completely vapid.

Winter John

It was average at best but, "Easily the best game of 2021."

G3ORpGb.png

Last edited:

GymWolf

It was a decent 7/10 with good banters and graphic and barely serviceable gameplay with zero challenge.

Last edited:

Certinty

I still maintain it’s the best game of the generation so far.

Attention to detail, dialogue, voice acting, story, characters, variety in locations and visuals are all top notch.

The combat isn’t great which is the biggest drawback but to be fair up until the final chapters there’s not much of it anyway.

If it were a Sony first party PlayStation exclusive (which it feels and plays like) I can’t help but feel it would have been a lot more popular.

Amazing game.

Fbh

The combat was lacking and it could have been better optimized on consoles, I also think the puzzles could have been better.
But the story, banter, writing and visuals were all great. I ended up liking these versions of the characters more than their MCU counterpart and in general found the story more fun and engaging than most MCU movies.

I said it in another thread but I played through Miles Morales like 2 months after finishing GotG, and while Miles has the MUCH better gameplay I was surprised by how bland the writing and story felt when compared to GotG

Included with PS+ Extra. Best deal in gaming.

See? We can play this game too now.

Or you could also just buy the game outright for less than the price of renting it for a month on either subscription plan.

Humdinger

I keep going back and forth on this game. Sounds like it might be something I'd like, but I get put off by the comments about the combat. I think the game is down to around $20 now, so I might as well give it a try. I miss the old style linear action-adventure games, especially ones with a sense of humor. They seem to be getting scarce.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Oh, so it's a visual novel, walking simulator, interactive movie? I'm playing God of War. Those are great!

It’s nothing like God of War. I finished GOG without ever really knowing what was going on with the combat and the game is over 20 hours, I mean it when I say the game is almost press X to advance.

I still liked it.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I stopped playing it part way through for some reason - some of the gameplay elements were a bit tedious if I remember rightly, but it’s in my backlog and I’ll gladly give it another go at some point.
For me, I was playing Far Cry 6 and Metroid Dread...then GOTG....them Forza Horizon 5 came out. So I was juggling games and dropped off. Need to get back to it

I played it on GP for about a half hour. Gave it up since the arcade shooting gameplay didn't hook me, and also because it made me sad that this is what we got instead of Deus Ex: Mankind Ascended
Don't let this ^^ guy's take put you off this game. Playing this a year later, and it's fantastic. I just wasn't in the right mood for a well-made, lovingly detailed, nonstop (good) dialogue-filled action adventure.

Looking at Metacritic, it has a higher user review score than critics. Not sure what happened there, but I agree with the proletariat.

bender

What time is it?
Maybe fandom of the source material will push you towards enjoying it, but I found it pretty dull mechanically and bounced off of it in the first few hours.

Flabagast

What a shame Deus Ex had to die for such a mid super hero game.

Put in the camp of those who think it's way too much overrated

Ozzie666

Pretty average game overall, but miles a head of the Avengers. It was able to be good enough to break the shackles and disappointment of Avengers. A lot of sponge enemies though.

Kusarigama

I started this game with great enthusiasm but I was let down by the gameplay. Gameplay of this game is just bad. Graphics were pretty and story was decent enough. They should have made a movie out of this as the dialogue was really amusing.

RagnarokIV

Whatever you do, drop the difficulty options to make the enemies less spongy and it'll improve the game so much. Without that, it's very tedious.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I liked it a lot more than I expected to.

The combat worked surprisingly well using my teammates abilities during battles, as well as getting around the environment. It was something that at least felt new.

The game itself looked great, and there were actions or decisions made that had affected outcomes based on your choices.

Throw in unlockable suits and entertaining dialogue, and it’s a winner imo.

PSA: PC version is still free for a few more hours.

Last edited:
Top Bottom