• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Going down the Kingdom Hearts rabbit hole for the first time...

Moogle11

Banned
So I never got around to playing any of the Kingdom Hearts games despite having some interest as an ARPG fan, and especially liking Final Fantasy and some Disney stuff. No reason why really other than I missed the first one back in the day and never felt ready to figure out how to play it all. Obviously that's easy now with the HD 1.5 and 2.5 Remix and 2.8 collections and 3 being out. The collection that includes all of that was on sale on PSN fro $30 a while back so I took the plunge. I finished up Final Fantasy 7 Remake the other day and I'm still in the mood for an ARPG so I fired up 1.5 yesterday and played 6 hours or so. Got through the first visit to Wonderland and saved at the start of the Colosseum world.

So far I'm really liking it! The remaster of a 2002 game looks better than I expected and it's aged pretty well (some camera issues aside) with the simple combat--especially since I prefer simplistic combat in ARPGs to complex systems as I'm mostly there for the characters and story anyway. I opted to play on default difficulty and to start at mid-day (gain levels at a steady pace vs. level up faster early on if starting in morning or gain faster later on with night). I figured that would keep it interesting and I don't care about any end game content which is what would benefit from leveling up faster late game. There's too many of these to play to try to be a completionist with them (I rarely 100% games anyway). I'll just see the stories through and YouTube any extra endings etc.

The one thing I don't like so far is the Gummi ship stuff. The controls aren't great and those sections are thus pretty clunky. The builder mode is confusing as hell. I went through the tutorial twice last night and still didn't understand it at all. Granted, I was tired and a little drunk. I'll go through it again the next time I need to fly somewhere and look for some Tutorials on YouTube if I still don't grasp it.

Finally anyone have thoughts on the best play order?

There didn't seem to be a firm consensus vs. chronological by story events (which I believe is how they're ordered in the 1.5 and 2.5 menu) or release order. I lean toward the menu order for simplicity and I'd assume that would make the story easier to follow (even if maybe it lessens some twists etc.). That seems better since I don't plan on binging straight through them. For now, assuming I keep enjoying it, I'll at least get through 1.5, and maybe Chain of Memories (which is 2nd in either play order decision) before TLOU2 is out next month. In any case, I'm interested to hear any thoughts from people with strong opinions on the best play order.

I imagine this thread will drop like a stone as LTTP threads don't seem to get much discussion here, and that's fine. I'll still bump it periodically to share my thoughts as I enjoy posting about things I play in OTs and like to do the same with older games the rare times I go back and play something I missed.

Aion002

Just play by the release order, and you might have fun.

Don't try to look too much in to the story.... That's the "real rabbit hole" and it's not worth to go after this mess, you would need to play even smartphone games.

Last edited:
I bought the complete collections on sale like a year ago. I played through them in order according to how they were listed in the collection menu. I skipped the card game one because I hated the combat.

I just finished it up recently and am going to play KH3 after I play FF7R

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
What I'm telling yah is from someone who aways plays KH games on critical mode.

The first one plays better than I though it would be. What really screws is the camera(like you say) and the lock target mechanic. Everything else plays fine to me.
For someone who already played KH2, I really prefer playing 1 than 2. In fact, even Re:Chain of Memories is better to play than KH2.

Also Gummi ship on KH1 is not as bad as it looks. You go straight line and simply defeat enemies while evading obstacles...easy as that. The real problem is creating your gummi and this is by far the worst creator ever made. Its depressing and discouraging to create things there.

This would be my best play order.
KHBBS(one of the best imo) -> KH1 - > KHRe:CoM -> KHDDD -> KH3

But KH2? Nah, I can skip that shit easly.

Also both 358 and Re:coded are not worth playing on DS. Might as well just watch the videos provided by the collections or wait until they released a proper rework.

Last edited:

Moogle11

Banned
I bought the complete collections on sale like a year ago. I played through them in order according to how they were listed in the collection menu. I skipped the card game one because I hated the combat.

I just finished it up recently and am going to stray KH3 after I play FF7R

Chain of Memories is the card one right? I'll probably just try that one on the easiest difficulty to blast through it for the story.

Moogle11

Banned
Also Gummi ship on KH1 is not as bad as it looks. You go straight line and simply defeat enemies while evading obstacles...easy as that. The real problem is creating your gummi and this is by far the worst creator ever created. Its depressing to create things there.

Yeah, I didn't have that much trouble with the first couple of Gummi ship levels. I just couldn't figure out the builder at all. I'll likely not mess with it until I get stuck and need a better ship to clear a level and then see if I can find a decent tutorial for the builder on Youtube.

I never play games on harder difficulty, so I definitely won't with these where I'm just there for the story, characters and Disney charm. That said, I definitely don't play on getting to deep into the story either. Will just play through the games in whichever order I settle on and take the story for what it is.

Chain of Memories is the card one right? I'll probably just try that one on the easiest difficulty to blast through it for the story.

I believe so, I’m bad with names

this is what I bought and played through

7WhPd8c.jpg

wyGZf8l.jpg

“The Story So Far”

it was bundled with KH3 for 30 bucks at the time

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Yeah, I didn't have that much trouble with the first couple of Gummi ship levels. I just couldn't figure out the builder at all. I'll likely not mess with it until I get stuck and need a better ship to clear a level and then see if I can find a decent tutorial for the builder on Youtube.

I never play games on harder difficulty, so I definitely won't with these where I'm just there for the story, characters and Disney charm. That said, I definitely don't play on getting to deep into the story either. Will just play through the games in whichever order I settle on and take the story for what it is.

If you ever had headaches or problems during Gummi missions, I suggest you looking up for videos on youtube. Because even me who Platinate the game can't really do anything about it. Theres no way around it when building Gummi, you have to watch step to step to build something decent with the parts droped/provided by you.

Yup. Chain of Memories is not a good game by any means, as it uses cards to attack instead of attacking normally. Whats is worse is that card skills(which are somatory of 3 cards resulting on a particular number for say skill) saps your first card used, so when you reload your cards you won't be having it until the battle ends.

Last edited:

Moogle11

Banned
I believe so, I’m bad with names

this is what I bought and played through

it was bundled with KH3 for 30 bucks at the time

Yep, I got the same--Just the PSN version. Usually goes for $99.99 and was on sale for $29.99 a few weeks ago.

It has Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 and 2.5 ReMIX which includes:

• KINGDOM HEARTS FINAL MIX
  • KINGDOM HEARTS Re:Chain of Memories
  • KINGDOM HEARTS 358/2 Days (HD remastered cinematics)
  • KINGDOM HEARTS II FINAL MIX
  • KINGDOM HEARTS Birth by Sleep FINAL MIX
  • KINGDOM HEARTS Re:coded (HD remastered cinematics)
Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue which includes:

• KINGDOM HEARTS Dream Drop Distance HD
  • KINGDOM HEARTS χ Back Cover (movie)
  • KINGDOM HEARTS 0.2 Birth by Sleep – A Fragmentary Passage –
And Kingdom Hearts 3 (not the DLC for it though).

Last edited:

Sign

Do NOT play these games out of order. The order is:

KH > KH: Chain of Memories > KH 2 > KH 358 / 2 Days > KH: Recoded > KH: Birth By Sleep > KH: 3D > KH 0.2 BBS > KH: X Back Cover > KH 3

I've been playing this series since the first one and I can tell you definitively that playing this series out of the original release order will spoil and ruin the experience.

Moogle11

Banned
Do NOT play these games out of order. The order is:

KH > KH: Chain of Memories > KH 2 > KH 358 / 2 Days > KH: Recoded > KH: Birth By Sleep > KH: 3D > KH 0.2 BBS > KH: X Back Cover > KH 3

I've been playing this series since the first one and I can tell you definitively that playing this series out of the original release order will spoil and ruin the experience.

That's convincing enough for me. I wish they'd put the menus in the collections in this order if it's that essential. But I'll just refer back to this as needed.

Thanks!

Sign

That's convincing enough for me. I wish they'd put the menus in the collections in this order if it's that essential. But I'll just refer back to this as needed.

Thanks!
The collections are pretty close to the right order, but if memory serves it places 358 before KH 2 which will spoil major elements of KH2. 358 is technically a prequel to KH 2 but was made after it and assumes you already played it. The series has a lot of mystery to it, and playing things out of release order removes all the fun of the various revelations.

Moogle11

Banned
Tonight’s session saw me finish up the first visit to the Colosseum and save and call or a night at the first save point in the Tarzan world. The Cerberus fight was a bitch but I got through it after several reloads.

D.Final

Banned
So I never got around to playing any of the Kingdom Hearts games despite having some interest as an ARPG fan, and especially liking Final Fantasy and some Disney stuff. No reason why really other than I missed the first one back in the day and never felt ready to figure out how to play it all. Obviously that's easy now with the HD 1.5 and 2.5 Remix and 2.8 collections and 3 being out. The collection that includes all of that was on sale on PSN fro $30 a while back so I took the plunge. I finished up Final Fantasy 7 Remake the other day and I'm still in the mood for an ARPG so I fired up 1.5 yesterday and played 6 hours or so. Got through the first visit to Wonderland and saved at the start of the Colosseum world.

So far I'm really liking it! The remaster of a 2002 game looks better than I expected and it's aged pretty well (some camera issues aside) with the simple combat--especially since I prefer simplistic combat in ARPGs to complex systems as I'm mostly there for the characters and story anyway. I opted to play on default difficulty and to start at mid-day (gain levels at a steady pace vs. level up faster early on if starting in morning or gain faster later on with night). I figured that would keep it interesting and I don't care about any end game content which is what would benefit from leveling up faster late game. There's too many of these to play to try to be a completionist with them (I rarely 100% games anyway). I'll just see the stories through and YouTube any extra endings etc.

The one thing I don't like so far is the Gummi ship stuff. The controls aren't great and those sections are thus pretty clunky. The builder mode is confusing as hell. I went through the tutorial twice last night and still didn't understand it at all. Granted, I was tired and a little drunk. I'll go through it again the next time I need to fly somewhere and look for some Tutorials on YouTube if I still don't grasp it.

Finally anyone have thoughts on the best play order?

There didn't seem to be a firm consensus vs. chronological by story events (which I believe is how they're ordered in the 1.5 and 2.5 menu) or release order. I lean toward the menu order for simplicity and I'd assume that would make the story easier to follow (even if maybe it lessens some twists etc.). That seems better since I don't plan on binging straight through them. For now, assuming I keep enjoying it, I'll at least get through 1.5, and maybe Chain of Memories (which is 2nd in either play order decision) before TLOU2 is out next month. In any case, I'm interested to hear any thoughts from people with strong opinions on the best play order.

I imagine this thread will drop like a stone as LTTP threads don't seem to get much discussion here, and that's fine. I'll still bump it periodically to share my thoughts as I enjoy posting about things I play in OTs and like to do the same with older games the rare times I go back and play something I missed.

Good luck

Gandih42

This would be my best play order.
KHBBS(one of the best imo) -> KH1 - > KHRe:CoM -> KHDDD -> KH3

But KH2? Nah, I can skip that shit easly.

Damn dude, my mind is blown by your ranking and dislike of KH2. I love it.

Kingdom Hearts 2 is by far my favorite of them all, especially the remixed version with really awesome additional content and the Critical Mode difficulty which breathes new life into the game.

I'm very curious, what is it you dislike about it? For me it was a refinement of the gameplay and story telling in KH1, that surpassed the emotional impact the first game had on teenage me. That being said, in retrospect I don't think any of the later games surpasses the charm of the first game.

As to you OP, I would definitely recommend playing the games in release order (which I think is the menu order), as many other people have suggested. That way story will have its intended beats. I do think the story telling really starts to fall apart after KH2 but if you can see the charm of it all and get a kick out of the cringe you'll have a good time. Also I didn't care much for the Gummi ship sections of KH1 but thought they were much improved for KH2. And otherwise you'll eventually be able to mostly ignore them.

Super excited to see a Kingdom Hearts thread as I've only ever met one person in real life who was into it.

Saber

Gold Member
Damn dude, my mind is blown by your ranking and dislike of KH2. I love it.

Kingdom Hearts 2 is by far my favorite of them all, especially the remixed version with really awesome additional content and the Critical Mode difficulty which breathes new life into the game.

I'm very curious, what is it you dislike about it? For me it was a refinement of the gameplay and story telling in KH1, that surpassed the emotional impact the first game had on teenage me. That being said, in retrospect I don't think any of the later games surpasses the charm of the first game.

Yeah, I hope some people don't take it personal. I played KH2 and didn't like at all. Lots of stupid and unnecessary mechanics for nothing, cringe scenes that serves no purpose, lame magic mechanics, bad start, weird mechanics for leveling forms, bosses needing a full combo in order to be defeated(which leads to players be forced to use magic to finish or reducing the amount of hits your combos can do), etc. My brother played the game as well, didn't like it much but didn't hate it like me.

So you see, its a question of taste. Most of people pretty much hate BBS, but for me its one of best KH I ever played.

Gandih42

Yeah, I hope some people don't take it personal. I played KH2 and didn't like at all. Lots of stupid and unnecessary mechanics for nothing, cringe scenes that serves no purpose, lame magic mechanics, bad start, weird mechanics for leveling forms, bosses needing a full combo in order to be defeated(which leads to players be forced to use magic to finish or reducing the amount of hits your combos can do), etc. My brother played the game as well, didn't like it much but didn't hate it like me.

So you see, its a question of taste. Most of people pretty much hate BBS, but for me its one of best KH I ever played.

Haha, no reason anyone should take it personal. Thank you for your explanation, I think it's interesting given how unusual your opinion is.

It's definitely a matter of taste, most of your issues with the game don't exist for me. I totally get how someone might not like the start though. It's sooo long and slow. But the payoff in terms of the story was worth it for me.

I also agree on the cringe factor. Especially for the Little Mermaid world 😂 It's hard to believe someone thought that was a good idea.

BBS is one of my least favorite KH games but I think the hate for it is unwarranted. In my opinion its a good game with lots of cool ideas, especially in the context of it originally being on a portable console.

D.Final

Banned
Haha, no reason anyone should take it personal. Thank you for your explanation, I think it's interesting given how unusual your opinion is.

It's definitely a matter of taste, most of your issues with the game don't exist for me. I totally get how someone might not like the start though. It's sooo long and slow. But the payoff in terms of the story was worth it for me.

I also agree on the cringe factor. Especially for the Little Mermaid world 😂 It's hard to believe someone thought that was a good idea.

BBS is one of my least favorite KH games but I think the hate for it is unwarranted. In my opinion its a good game with lots of cool ideas, especially in the context of it originally being on a portable console.

Little Mermaid......

Moogle11

Banned
Man that vine swinging section in the Tarzan level sucked. Especially since once I looked for help I saw it was apparently optional as I just had to turn around after climbing up from the hippo lagoon and climb up to the treehouse. I’m sure there’s more chests in the vie se room I didn’t find when lost and repeatedly falling down to the lagoon and climbing back up, but I’m not going for any completionist stuff. The camera in this game just isn’t suited for swinging around or platforming.

There's a scene that's unintentionally hilarious in KH3 in the winnie the pooh world. Pooh is all bummed out because Sora left him and when Sora returns to visit with him Pooh tells Sora that he "Wants to be together, forever"

The way he says is just hilariously creepy. I copied the timestamp.

njean777

Play them in the order they were released, the only thing I can say is skip the cell phone game and just watch a YouTube summary.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
BBS has some good stuff in it but it's buried deep in a bloated game. DDD is kinda the same but much less bloat so I say it's worth a play.

Moogle11

Banned
Thanks all. As above I’m going to try and play/watch everything in the complete collection and going in release order.

I’m about 11 hours into 1.5 and just finished up the return to Traverse Town. Saved in Merlin‘s house as I want to check out the book world before moving on. I’m mostly having a great time with it, some jank aside. Having more fun after keeping the IGN walktneough handy as it can be a little obtuse on where to go/what to do at times for my liking. I’m not looking at it constantly to spoil things, just when I’m clueless on what to do As I dint want to waste too much time with aimless wandering.

D.Final

Banned
Thanks all. As above I’m going to try and play/watch everything in the complete collection and going in release order.

I’m about 11 hours into 1.5 and just finished up the return to Traverse Town. Saved in Merlin‘s house as I want to check out the book world before moving on. I’m mostly having a great time with it, some jank aside. Having more fun after keeping the IGN walktneough handy as it can be a little obtuse on where to go/what to do at times for my liking. I’m not looking at it constantly to spoil things, just when I’m clueless on what to do As I dint want to waste too much time with aimless wandering.

In your road to KH 2 remember to localized all the treasure chest, the secret diary and the figurines, to the other side things, for unlock the secret ending.

Moogle11

Banned
In your road to KH 2 remember to localized all the treasure chest, the secret diary and the figurines, to the other side things, for unlock the secret ending.

I’ll probably just YouTube secret endings in these games. Hunting for all collectibles is one of my least favorite things in games.

Falcs

Banned
I picked up KH3 a few months ago on a sale, and I just couldn't get into it. I played for about 5 hours or so, but I had no idea what the hell was going on. I even watched summary vidoes of the previous games before starting and I was just so confused. KH has to be the most convoluted story I've come across.
I couldn't make any sense of it so unfortunately I wasn't able to enjoy it. Maybe I should have started with the first one like you, OP.

Moogle11

Banned
Maybe I should have started with the first one like you, OP.

Yeah I don’t think watching story recaps is a way to get into a series. Be it movies, tv shows or book series. Too much story telling gets lost. That said, it may just not be your cup of tea of course.

Anyway, with tonight’s session I figured out some stuff In the clunky ass gummi ship builder in 1.5. Tried to build a ship from scratch but it wasn’t flyable for a reason I couldn’t figure out. Ended up just adding armor, weapons and scanner to the default ship and made it to Monstro and beat the first boss there and called it a night.

Moogle11

Banned
Haven’t posted an update for a bit. I finished up Halloween Town and the Little Mermaid worlds. Really loved the former as that’s easily my favorite Disney movie. The Little Mermaid world was fun to and a nice change up with swimming around.

I’ve also been doing the Pooh stuff as I find torn Oates (have done 4 I think). And will tackle Neverland next. Having a great time with it overall.

Vawn

Banned
I forced myself to finally finish Kingdom Hearts 1. That's it. I'm done. I absolutely do not get the appeal at all - and I'm a huge Square and Final Fantasy fan.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
I forced myself to finally finish Kingdom Hearts 1. That's it. I'm done. I absolutely do not get the appeal at all - and I'm a huge Square and Final Fantasy fan.

TBH, you should keep going. It gets less Disney and more Final Fantasy as the franchise goes on. The combat also gets far better in 2 and 3.

In retrospect, 1 might be the weakest of the entire franchise's numbered games since it was trying to be half and half.

Moogle11

Banned
TBH, you should keep going. It gets less Disney and more Final Fantasy as the franchise goes on. The combat also gets far better in 2 and 3.

In retrospect, 1 might be the weakest of the entire franchise's numbered games since it was trying to be half and half.

I’m having a great time with it and have the full collection so I’ll definitely keep going. Probably not all in a row, but I’ll get through them.

LordKasual

Banned
Play Kingdom Hearts

Play Kingdom Hearts 2

Watch a Lets Play of Kingdom Hearts 3.

KH1 and KH2 are the absolute heights of the series and are touched nowhere else.

Kingdom Hearts 3 is the lowest point in every aspect but visuals.

Last edited:

Gandih42

Totally agree that the combat gets better, but if he didn't like KH1 at all I think there's a very slim chance he'll get into any of the sequels. Especially with how convoluted the story gets.

Also, glad to hear you're still progressing OP! The Little Mermaid world is quite good in KH1 and the swimming works surprisingly well IMO.

Moogle11

Banned
Made it to the string of bosses at the end of the story. Think I’m under leveled (lvl 52 and it looks like 60+ is suggested looking online) for my low skill level and patience for learning boss patterns as I’m getting slaughter at the 2nd Ansem fight with just Sora. Annoying to have to fight the piss easy giant shadow before him every time.

Guess I’ll zone out and grind some levels in the Hades cup. Grrrr. I hate when games don’t let you change difficulty on the fly as I’m ready to see this through. Will give strong consideration to playing the others on easy instead of standard since I’m really just here for the story and charm.

Last edited:

Moogle11

Banned
Finished up the story in 1.5 last night. Grinded for a bit and went back to the bosses at level 65. Still had a pretty rough time with the 2nd phase of Ansem, fucking Disney Souls! I just suck at anything that requires precise timing dodges so his rush back and forth attack was a bitch for me. Got him on the third try that time. Final boss phase I got through the first try, but probably wouldn't have if I hadn't leveled up as I came very close to dying a few times.

All in all I enjoyed the game. Solid 8-8.5 type game. Story was a bit thinner than I expected, but the game had a lot of charm and was mostly fun to play aside from bad camera angles and the difficulty spike at the end.

I started up Re:Chain of Memories. Doing that on Beginner as I don't like card based stuff much. Overall, my current plan is to play 2 and 3 on default difficulty and probably the others on beginner since the gist I get is they aren't as good and mostly just for the story. I didn't play enough of Re: Chain of Memories to get a sense for how much I'm going to like it. I was surprised the combat was action based with moving around etc. as being card based I figured it would be more of a turn based thing.

Last edited:

Gandih42

Nice job man. Ansem can definitely be a bit of a prick. The dodge mechanics in KH1 aren't great which makes it extra hard to dodge some of his attacks.

I've got a "no-gear" where I'm stuck on him at the moment. My last attempt was me wailing on him for half an hour because I do next to no damage and then died at one of the last phases 😂

Chain of Memories can be a bit dull to get through (I enjoyed it but you can feel it was originally a GBA game) but you need the story to understand wtf is happening when you get to KH2. Your plan for the difficulties should be fine though. If I recall correctly, even on the default difficulty KH2 is fairly easy. Critical mode is excellent for replaying it more like an action game where you want an intense challenge.

Top Bottom