• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Ghost of Tsushima - It’s good but it’s missing a certain something

bitbydeath

I’m playing GoT through PS++ and it’s a great game, not good enough to take Days Gone’s crown of best last-gen open world game mind you, but it’s a lot of fun with a ton of things to unlock.

But it is missing something, and I don’t just mean the ability to skip cutscenes. The game is seriously lacking limb dismemberment. It’s almost jarring to see swords being swung around and no arms flying off.

How is this not an option at the very least?
Did anyone call the studio out for this?

Still enjoying the game but Sucker Punch should receive a lot of flack for this massive oversight.

Topher

Gold Member
I enjoyed it a lot more than Days Gone which I just could not get into at all. But I also love AC type games so….

Jesb

How does this run on a vanilla PS4? Just bought a $50 voucher and was thinking of finally grabbing this.

SpokkX

It is a boring Ass creed clone

It does not even improve on the formula one bit - same shitty mission design (even the follow and fail if spotted missions!!)

No ragdolls and no limb removal makes the somewhat ok fighting really stiff and repetative (same kill animations repeat themselves)

The world looks nice but it is way worse than days gone

6/10 is generous

Last edited:

SteadyEvo

The game is completely overhyped.

NPCs stiff as wood and other awful issues make the game just OK.

The thing was a massive hypefest, but it was the best Sucker Punch game.
Agree with being overhyped. It’s not a bad game. Does a lot well like combat, graphics and the wind for directions.

But it feels bland and repetitive after a few hours. Reminds me a lot of Days Gone. Not interesting enough for me to finish. Both games would’ve been better with shorter, more to the point stories. All this padding is killing otherwise excellent games.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The game is completely overhyped.

NPCs stiff as wood and other awful issues make the game just OK.

The thing was a massive hypefest, but it was the best Sucker Punch game.
That’s how it looks in every video I check out. Stiff and open world cookie cutter. Tbh I will for sure play it… just later.
Days gone was extremely overhyped too. It’s really kinda bad but more than sum of its parts and I got it full price lol

jaysius

Banned
That’s how it looks in every video I check out. Stiff and open world cookie cutter. Tbh I will for sure play it… just later.
Days gone was extremely overhyped too. It’s really kinda bad but more than sum of its parts and I got it full price lol
I mean it is a ton of fun even with all the drawbacks. Some people treat it like it's the best thing ever though, it's not.

bitbydeath

I bought it at launch and loved it, have probably played through it 5 or 6 times now which is rare for me to do with any game.

The gameplay is just so open that it feels fresh to play it over and over again.

The hundreds if not thousands of dynamic events probably help with that too.

Ezekiel_

Banned
Absolute masterclass open-world game, quite the opposite from other soulless/heartless 'by the number' open-world games.

Great visuals, gameplay and game design (very minimalist UI, animals guide you to point of interest, wind guides you, excellent and very satisfying combat), animation, story, characters, sound design.

Must-play, especially on PS5 with the Definitive Edition.

The Dualsense elevates your immersion, by reproducing the terrain under your feet or your horse. Furthermore, every block, parry, strike has an incredible feedback right to the controller.

Perfect Samurai/Ninja simulator.

And an awesome free multiplayer mode, called Legends!

Also, for OP, there's
some special moves you learn after progressing a bit in the game that absolutely dismembers!

I can't wait to see where Sucker Punch brings us next!
Ps4 Samurai GIF by PlayStation

Face Off Ps4 GIF by PlayStation

Galloping On My Way GIF by PlayStation

200.gif

PS : This is why we won't see an Assassin's Creed set in Japan : every possible comparison won't be favorable for Ubisoft.

Last edited:

A.Romero

I thought it was weird too but I think they decided not to go for the excess gore. I mean, you can see people cut in pieces in many places (I think including children?) and with some attacks dismemberment does happen but not as often as I would have expected.

I'm playing Days Gone these days, BTW. Any pointers?

Valt7786

Think my only complaint about Ghost of Tsushima is the lack of physics on enemy bodies. Hate seeing an enemy fall the same way over the entire game and have half his body over a ledge and have no reaction to it.

Razvedka

Banned
Full dismemberment is in the game. It's just not available immediately.

Ask me how I know all the people agreeing with you, and you yourself, have not played the game long enough (or at all as the case may be).

You can see a few people lose their limbs and one guy his head in this video here:

Last edited:

ClosBSAS

Loved it but yes, overrated. As a lot of Sony ganes are unfortunately. Good combat, nice graphics, it's still a great game. Dunno if I agree with op on days gone being better. Can't get myself to beat it, maybe I'll give it a second chance.

bitbydeath

I thought it was weird too but I think they decided not to go for the excess gore. I mean, you can see people cut in pieces in many places (I think including children?) and with some attacks dismemberment does happen but not as often as I would have expected.

The beginning you rely heavily on stealth, that changes later but it is definitely a skill worth learning as you’ll use it all throughout the game.

Ansphn

Ghost is missing creative boss fights. I hope SuckerPunch put some Kojima like personality on real and fake bosses in the 2nd game.

Last edited:

Pallas

Gold Member
How does this run on the PS4 Pro compared to vanilla PS4? I’ve been meaning to play this game for a while now.

I own GoT but it's on my backlog. Will check out sometime soon. Need to see if it lives up to the hype.

As for Days Gone , make sure to coast downhill until you upgrade the gas tank. I personally recommend the crossbow for many easy bandit camp clearings and just in general. Practice headshots.

Filldo

Absolute masterclass open world game.

Great visuals, gameplay and game design (very minimalist UI, animals guide to point of interest, wind guides you, excellent and very satisfying combat), story, characters, sound design.

Must-play, especially on PS5 with the Definitive Edition.

This is why we won't see an Assassin's Creed set in Japan : every possible comparison won't be favorable for Ubisoft.
I'm replaying on PS5 right now with the PS+ Extra and I'm loving it even more the second time around. I am especially appreciating the sound design this time, playing with headphones. Every strike feels so visceral. There are times where the music and sounds all hit perfect and feel choreographed to my actions. Its incredible. It was already a great game in my mind but PS5 version is really a major step up for me. And graphically gorgeous just so many moments where I'm just blown away. I've been a Sucker Punch fan since inFamous and can't wait to see what they do next.

Kumomeme

imagine once pc version released and someone somehow managed to make Metal Gear Rising slice mechanic into the game.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I enjoyed it a lot more than Days Gone which I just could not get into at all. But I also love AC type games so….
Same here. I couldn't get into Days Gone at all. It wasn't bad but it wasn't fun for me. I don't know how to explain it. GoT wasn't the best game I've played, either but I did enjoy it a lot because I also like the AC formula. And I thought a lot of the scenery was just stunning. I enjoyed moving around just so I could look at it.

theHFIC

Why?

Pussies would have been able to turn it off like they already can with blood.

Definitely should have included dismemberment
Because it weeded out the knuckle draggers who need everything drenched in blood to be considered playable… At least initially it did.

I'm looking forward to playing this at some point, but it came out when I had just played AC Odyssey to death (which I had a great time with) and AC Japan just didn't seem like something I could do yet.

Of course it's overhyped though, it's a Sony exclusive - goes without saying.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Last time I played it I did the mistake of trying to do every optional marker on the map and by the time I had to do a big story mission to go to the second island I was burned out and dropped it.

Am I alone?

that's where i dropped it too

i will probably pick it up on PC down the line and give it another whirl

kiphalfton

Last time I played it I did the mistake of trying to do every optional marker on the map and by the time I had to do a big story mission to go to the second island I was burned out and dropped it.

Am I alone?

I only do the character centric side quest (Masako, Kenji, Yuna, Yuriko, Sensei Ishikawa) and none of the other random ones. Also don't really do the fox den charm / collectathons since they aren't rewarding enough.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Never thought that I'd agree with Ezekiel's ass but here we are. I had to restart the game after doing like 3/4 of it on PS5 because I don't have PS Plus so I have yet to beat it but I love it.

Ywap

This and Forbidden West can´t come soon enough to PC :pie_drooling:

Huge fan of open world games, and even more so if they got that Sony magic behind them 🥳🎉

Last edited:
Top Bottom