• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: gaming PC. Please recommend must have PC games

Hello Gaf,

I have been a console gamer all my life, and never tried to get into PC gaming. I was afraid of being complicated to build one, and expensive. Plus, I wanted the convenience of plug and play.

However, I did a lot of reading and found out it is not that hard to build a gaming PC. In fact, I felt it was kind of easy, and had no major issues building my first one!
this is what I came up with:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Ngw6WX
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Ngw6WX/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $185.00)
Motherboard: Asus - STRIX B350-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For $82.00)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (Purchased For $140.00)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $147.00)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $40.00)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB WINDFORCE OC 8G Video Card (Purchased For $465.00)
Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400S TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $75.00)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $82.00)
Case Fan: Thermaltake - Riing 12 LED White 40.6 CFM 120mm Fan (Purchased For $14.00)
Other: Phanteks RGB LED 4 Pin Adapter, Specified for Phanteks Cases with RGB (Purchased For $5.00)
Other: AUKEY Mechanical Keyboard with Blue Switches, 104-key RGB Backlit, Customizable with 9 Presets for PC & Mac Gamers (Purchased For $46.00)
Total: $1281.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-08 08:41 EDT-0400

ffa7833d55ea53ba07183cda2a2ea111.jpg

d903c0c32dfa1a2c3440ad9b1adc4f3e.jpg

Now that I have a very good rig, what games do you recommend for me to play on PC?
I am not a fan of RPG games, MMORPG, or strategy ones, everything else I play. I own ps4, xbox one and switch, so I probably have played most exclusives of each console.

What are PC exclusives that are must have?

Thanks !!!

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
cool build man!

Civ V Complete is a wonderful entry to PC gaming.

League of Legends is tough to get into but super rewarding.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Nice build. There are so many exclusive games for the platform it's difficult to find a start. Do you mind older games or are you only looking for newly made ones?

LordRaptor

I mean... looking for exclusives to test run on your fancy new rig, that aren't in the more populated genres, I'd have to say Star Citizen immediately springs to mind if you don't mind (heavy air quotes) Early Access

Nice pc. Good work.

I'll recommend some smaller profile or older games:

Audiosurf 2 if you like rhythm action games
Quake 1 single player (can download some mods to make it look nicer if you like)
System Shock 2 holds up far better than it has any right to
StarCraft Remastered when that drops this month, and StarCraft 2 if you don't mind that the story is horrible
Recettear - charming and addicting
The Shadowrun Returns series is great fun and works as a great intro to isometric RPG's on the PC
One or more Diablo game, either Diablo 3 proper, or Torchlight, Grim Dawn, Titan Quest, Path of Exile, etc

And it doesn't matter what it is, but I strongly recommend you make time for some large AAA multi platform game and play it at max at 60fps. Your brain will melt. Not really a pc exclusive, so consider it a bonus.

Edit: balls, should have waited until OP listed their tastes.

Essentially any and all multiplats you should get on PC, but never pre-order. Some ports are f*cked and an absolute mess, though Steam's refund policy (get to know its terms) is a godsend.

Games? Absolutely rebuy DOOM for your PC, it was $10 on sale earlier this week. Also play Skyrim with mods and look at snagging some of the previous Crysis games. Be on the lookout for Destiny 2, the port appears to be legit.

Also check out the best of competitive gaming: League, DOTA, Overwatch, CS:GO, Starcraft 2, etc. Also be on the lookout for Quake Champions, Lawbreakers, and Gigantic.

And a personal recommendation: Path of Exile. F2P cross between Diablo with FF7's Material system.

JoeBoy101

not a fan of strategy games. :(

Good lord man, so what are your tastes?

Path of Exile / Diablo III / Grim Dawn are all fine entries into the Action-RPG loot heavy games.

For shooters, you can go Doom, Wolfenstein: TNO, and Half-Life 2 (episodes included) to name a few. Depending on what games you like, I would recommend double-dipping to see them on the improved clarity and image resolution on your PC. That, and depending on the game, dipping your feet on modding. PC Exclusives tend to hone more towards RPGs, Strategy, and MMOs.

Essentially any and all multiplats you should get on PC, but never pre-order. Some ports are f*cked and an absolute mess, though Steam's refund policy (get to know its terms) is a godsend.

Games? Absolutely rebuy DOOM for your PC, it was $10 on sale earlier this week. Also play Skyrim with mods and look at snagging some of the previous Crysis games. Be on the lookout for Destiny 2, the port appears to be legit.

Also check out the best of competitive gaming: League, DOTA, Overwatch, CS:GO, Starcraft 2, etc. Also be on the lookout for Quake Champions, Lawbreakers, and Gigantic.

And a personal recommendation: Path of Exile. F2P cross between Diablo with FF7's Material system.

I finished Doom on my PS4. is it worth to rebuy it?

RPGs, MMOs, and strategy games are pretty much all I play on PC, where those genres play the best. I play everything else on console.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
off the top of my head, the exclusives that I will recommend are not showcases for your PC, but are cheap and well worth your time:

Gunpoint
(has a demo)

FTL
(I think this is also available on tablets)
I am not into strategy games either, I don't know if this even fits into that genre, but this game is likely to grab you)

Typing of the Dead: Overkill

Non-exclusives that are worth your time on PC:

GTA V

Vanquish

Bayonetta

Do you like 2d shooters? Check out Astro Port's games.

Also, playing Dariusburst across two screens is incredible.

Excellent job on the PC. I'm in the same boat as you (all three current-gen consoles plus a gaming PC) and for games, I've been checking out GOG.com for old gems that I've overlooked or didn't have a PC to play.

The thing is, there's not too terribly many non-strategy, non-RPG games that didn't make the leap to console. If anything, start looking to buy your cross-platform titles on PC (e.g. Street Fighter V, Nier, Recore) and you'll be able to potentially save yourself money down the road by not getting new consoles.

For classic stuff, Doom, Wolfenstein, Quake, Hexen, Deus Ex, and System Shock.

But there have been a lot of PC versions of console games, so if you don't remind replaying some with better visuals, I'd say do it.

patapuf

Try PUBG for a great competitve MP game (Playerunknown's Battlegrounds).

STALKER and FEAR are pretty old by now but if you like FPS's those are great classics to go back to. Especially STALKER is pretty different from your usual action game.

More pleaser titles that fit the genres in the OP:

Outcast
Giants: Citizen Kabuto
SHOGO
The Stalker series
Hexcells

Plus there are a few games I'd recommend because the pc version is just so much better or the console version was a no go:

FEAR
The whole half life series
Red Faction Geurilla
The whole Crysis series
Vanquish
And potentially, the Bioshock series

Ladekabel

If you're not appalled by Early Access I can recommend Dead Cells and Playerunknown's Battlegrounds though they might come to other platforms later. Cook, Serve, Delicious is great, too. Just played Dark Messiah of Might & Magic and while I think it aged poorly it still might be worth checking out.

And like hardcastlemccormick said, definitly check out AAA games on PC. The increase in performance is worth it. Doom, Max Payne 3, etc. And play shooters with keyboard in mouse. It is so much better you'll wonder how you could ever play shooters with a controller.

If you're not appalled by Early Access I can recommend Dead Cells and Playerunknown's Battlegrounds though they might come to other platforms later. Cook, Serve, Delicious is great, too. Just played Dark Messiah of Might & Magic and while I think it aged poorly it still might be worth checking out.

And like hardcastlemccormick said, definitly check out AAA games on PC. The increase in performance is worth it. Doom, Max Payne 3, etc. And play shooters with keyboard in mouse. It is so much better you'll wonder how you could ever play shooters with a controller.

I can;t get used to that man. I played dishonored 1 , and just could not get used to, It feels weird, and I can't play as fast as I play with controller. I don't know, it is just too many buttons for my left hand. shift, control, wsad, tab, f, c a, damn it, can't do it fast enough, sometimes I am looking at the keyboard

Outside of the games already mentioned above, I would recommend Origin Access. There's a lot of AAA games but also some indies and older classics worth trying out.

DOOM and Overwatch played basically like different games than their console counterparts.

Everyone should play Kentucky Route Zero.

I can;t get used to that man. I played dishonored 1 , and just could not get used to, It feels weird, and I can't play as fast as I play with controller. I don't know, it is just too many buttons for my left hand. shift, control, wsad, tab, f, c a, damn it, can't do it fast enough, sometimes I am looking at the keyboard
It takes a little time to learn, but not as much as you may think. Fire up a game you know and like, perhaps a slower shooter. And just play.

The Bioshock series would be a good one to play to get used to mouse and keyboard. Or a third person shooter like Max Payne or Alan Wake.

I promise, it's worth the small time investment to learn how to play with a mouse and keyboard. Quake 3 with those controls is just goddamn heaven.

llien

Original XCOM:Enemy Unknown, XCOM:Terror from the deep.
Prince of Persia. =/:^)
Half Life 2
If you feel like trying RTS genre, Starcraft.
If you feel like tyring MMoRPG genre: World of Warcraft

I finished Doom on my PS4. is it worth to rebuy it?

The game itself is the same, but the experience is vastly improved when you push 60 frames and higher. So yes, definitely worth a low cost rebuy.

Next up, upgrading your monitor to a 144hz panel. A good entry point is Dell's S series in 24" and 27" options which have been offered, respectively, at $300 and $450. The latter is currently available at that price at Best Buy and you could almost certainly price match with a no tax online retailer.

Nice PC.

There is a sheer amount of quality PC games out there. You should check some p&c adventure games, they are not pushing your pc to the limit, but they are fun and with some unique settings. There is a nice thread on gaf.

Unfortunately you dont´t like strategy games, they are very strong on pc.

Anyway, have fun.

NotUS

Looking at your sig, Bioshock series in 4k is incredible compared to consoles.

Without much info on what you really like you could go for something like:

Arma 3 or PUBG
Hollow Knight
Darkest Dungeon
Total War Games
Amnesia
Half Life
Crysis
Mark of the Ninja

and just about very multiplat game feels like a next gen experience on PC. Pick your favorites, and be amazed all over again.

elyetis

No RPG or strategy game ? it's making things hard, not that other genre aren't there, but they are far more likely to be multiplatform.

maybe :

spacechem

TIS-100

Titan Quest / Diablo 2 / Grim Dawn

I don't know if Arma III is really a must have, it has many problem, mostly with it's IA. But it has some very neat aspect, and Zeus allow for some really cool things in multiplayer.

Giving a try to a moba is probably worth it dota 2 / hots / lol all have their own strength.

Most other game which comes into my mind as must have, are either in the rpg/strategy genre ( and mostly oldies ), and/or not exclusives.

edit : the first Crysis is probably a good recommendation

STALKER franchise

Counter Strike Global Offensive

Team Fortress 2

Dota

Her Story

Bayonetta and Vanquish (definitive versions)

REmake

Penumbra: Black Plague

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream

System Shock 2

Ladekabel

You'll get used to it. Don't expect it to work right off the bat. You have been used to playing shooters with a controller probably for years so it might get some time. When I went from console gaming back to PC gaming it took me a few shorter first person games to get used to it. Now I can't go back to a controller.

And it might help if you turn down the sensitivity a bit.

What mouse are you using? I have a friend who insists that kb+m is uncomfortable but he uses an office mouse and refuses to buy another one.

Nice PC.

There is a sheer amount of quality PC games out there. You should check some p&c adventure games, they are not pushing your pc to the limit, but they are fun and with some unique settings. There is a nice thread on gaf.

Unfortunately you dont´t like strategy games, they are very strong on pc.

Anyway, have fun.

are the telltale games on PC fine? because the console versions are a mess, lag everywhere

Looking at your sig, Bioshock series in 4k is incredible compared to consoles.

Without much info on what you really like you could go for something like:

Arma 3 or PUBG
Hollow Knight
Darkest Dungeon
Total War Games
Amnesia
Half Life
Crysis
Mark of the Ninja

and just about very multiplat game feels like a next gen experience on PC. Pick your favorites, and be amazed all over again.

I don't have a 4K monitor, I was told it is better to buy a 1440p gsync monitor than a 4k monitor (saving money for that)

You'll get used to it. Don't expect it to work right off the bat. You have been used to playing shooters with a controller probably for years so it might get some time. When I went from console gaming back to PC gaming it took me a few shorter first person games to get used to it. Now I can't go back to a controller.

And it might help if you turn down the sensitivity a bit.

What mouse are you using? I have a friend who insists that kb+m is uncomfortable but he uses an office mouse and refuses to buy another one.

how do you position your left hand over the keyboard so you reach all main buttons easily?

I use a regular mouse, which one do you recommend? the ones with more buttons so I can decrease the "stress" over my left hand?

PhaZZe

Banned
Hollow knight
Ori and the blind forest
Batman games will amaze you
Same for tomb raider (booth of them)
Max payne series
Manual samuel is a fun game
Pubg if you have friends
Dragon dogma in pc is sooo goood
Try shank series (booth of them)

I don't have a 4K monitor, I was told it is better to buy a 1440p gsync monitor than a 4k monitor (saving money for that)
One thing to look into, because your graphics card is so good, is that on PC you can super sample which means you are running the game at a higher resultion than your monitor supports.

The end result is cleaner and resolves more detail. I played Bioshock 2 Remastered at 4k despite only having a 1440p screen and it looked spectacular.

Just another thing to look into later. ;)

Ladekabel

how do you position your left hand over the keyboard so you reach all main buttons easily?

I use a regular mouse, which one do you recommend? the ones with more buttons so I can decrease the "stress" over my left hand?

I use my middle finger for w, ring finger is on a and index is on d. Thumb for space bar and pinkie on shift. For the rest of the buttons I use middle and index finger.

I have a Logitech G300 but plan on picking up a Logitech G203 soon. Heard good things about the G900 and Proteus. Don't have any experience with Steelseries or Zowie, sadly. But maybe check out this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1367779

It might make things easier to bind a few actions to the extra buttons on your mouse. I don't think you need a MMO mouse with a bunch of buttons on its side.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Forza Horizon 3
PUBG
GTA V - while an older game is great on PC
FTL
Star Citizen
Rising Storm 2 Vietnam
Nier, bayo and Vanquish are all great
Hollow Knight
Shadow Complex was pretty fun

There's so much, I suggest you should check GOG for some older games as well as some newer ones. SWAT 4 is a great one to pick up there.
One thing to look into, because your graphics card is so good, is that on PC you can super sample which means you are running the game at a higher resultion than your monitor supports.

The end result is cleaner and resolves more detail. I played Bioshock 2 Remastered at 4k despite only having a 1440p screen and it looked spectacular.

Just another thing to look into later. ;)
4k sample scales great with 1440p so I'd get that and gsync.

Top Bottom