• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Final Fantasy IX (spoilers)

Redd

Loved stealing from bosses in this game but hated it against timed bosses. Had to reset so many times to get items.

Forkball

That it's "the point" (as if it's done by accident) doesn't make it good as you could easily say that the other limit breaks can't possibly break their game design since the games make a point of allowing you to save your limit breaks. In that case, we can never question the purpose of anything in a movie or game since stuff was put in on purpose, thus is beyond criticism.

They became pretty much pointless in the game; rarely did I use them because of how broken the system was. I could even barely use them in a regular battle in 9. One of the worst limit break systems and one which will always be a negative mark on an otherwise very good game.
I felt trances were fairly pointless, but we can at all agree that Quina has the best Trance outfit.

Malawhur

Try playing on PC. Fast battles, can turn encounters off, etc.

Love ffix. Wish we would get another one like it, setting wise.

Does not that break the game? I mean, normally I would assume that you need that many encounters to level up proportionally or is that not the case?

Rezae

As a fan of the classic FFs, I remember finding the game extremely charming when it initially came out - although I never replayed it after beating it and have largely forgotten most of the game.

I tried going back through it a few times on Vita and never could quite get the patience to deal with the slow pace and random battle frequency and at times excessive dialogue. With the recent Steam/mobile re-release with the FF and no-encounter options, it's much more tolerable and I'm probably 3/4 through it again.

It's a tough FF for me to pin down. On paper it's everything I could ask for in a traditional FF game. I do find the story a bit all over the place though. The amount of dialogue is also a bit overboard. I want to like it more than I do for everything else it does right. Overall I'd still place it in the upper tier of FF games.

Currently playing through this for the first time, at Ipsen castle so near the end of disc 3. It's really quite a game. Absolutely gorgeous in places. The last FF to have 2d backgrounds, they went all-out, and it shows. Ofc music is incredible as well.

My only criticisms: It's a bit linear for my tastes. There is a lot of dialog and forced "Now you control X characters" swapping. Plus the story while on the whole being very cool kind of looses its steam at points. Disc 3 feels like the wheels are starting to spin and even though I'm nearing the end it doesn't have that build-up or dread that FFVI or FFVII had.

Rn I'd rank it above FFX, where I enjoyed the combat more but IX doesn't have anything as bad as blitzball or the temple puzzles. The card game is actually a lot of fun!

That it's "the point" (as if it's done by accident) doesn't make it good as you could easily say that the other limit breaks can't possibly break their game design since the games make a point of allowing you to save your limit breaks. In that case, we can never question the purpose of anything in a movie or game since stuff was put in on purpose, thus is beyond criticism.

They became pretty much pointless in the game; rarely did I use them because of how broken the system was. I could even barely use them in a regular battle in 9. One of the worst limit break systems and one which will always be a negative mark on an otherwise very good game.

My argument was not that it was good because that's how they designed it.

I stated that the change was intentional, and then went on to argue for how it was a good change in design. You may not agree that it's a good change, but it's clear that the designers do, as limit breaks have really gotten a reduced role in these games after X.

Currently playing through this for the first time, at Ipsen castle so near the end of disc 3. It's really quite a game. Absolutely gorgeous in places. The last FF to have 2d backgrounds, they went all-out, and it shows. Ofc music is incredible as well.

My only criticisms: It's a bit linear for my tastes. There is a lot of dialog and forced "Now you control X characters" swapping. Plus the story while on the whole being very cool kind of looses its steam at points. Disc 3 feels like the wheels are starting to spin and even though I'm nearing the end it doesn't have that build-up or dread that FFVI or FFVII had.

Rn I'd rank it above FFX, where I enjoyed the combat more but IX doesn't have anything as bad as blitzball or the temple puzzles. The card game is actually a lot of fun!

(For everything except overdrives vs trance) I would agree with you that the battle system is a lot better in X. I enjoyed blitzball and temple puzzles though. If you like the card game you should play VIII. The card game there is a LOT better
and also the only good thing about the game except the final dungeon

I tried to play this game on my vita couple of years ago because of all the good things I heard about it but I could not progress much because of the extremely high and annoying random encounter rate.
The charm was there, the music was great but the gameplay felt too tedious.

What IX has to have one of the lowest I've played in the series. After playing it again last year, I'm convinced that there are no random encounters. With over a dozen playthroughs it seems like I run into enemies at the exact same spot in a dungeon each time. For example in Gizamaluke's Grotto I always run into an enemy at the arch of the bridge in the third room.

Loved stealing from bosses in this game but hated it against timed bosses. Had to reset so many times to get items.

Isn't Tantarian the only boss with a timer in the game. No boss really has any exclusive items on them, so whatever you missed you could get later.

Top Bottom