• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Final Fantasy 7 Remake (2020) PS4 Slim

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Final-Fantasy-VII-Banner.jpg

This is originally a 1998 game, Square released an HD version in 2020 and today, 2021, it feels very new. Moving to a HD, but still traditional world. This is an A+ game and am very pleased with it. Obviously I have never played a final fantasy game before and I still can’t figure out the story but it gives you enough pieces (avalanche, cloud’s soldier history etc.) Barret overall btw is a beast. And I’ll get into the characters below.

final-fantasy-7-remake-characters-uhdpaper.com-4K-39.jpg

I like how they get other characters involve (Tifa from 7th Heaven, and Midgar, and also Aea in the Sec.) and it can draw comparisons to cooperative gameplay in another game.
Tifa I mistook as Cloud’s girlfriend than it dawned on me she’s married to Barret with a kid so it’s more of a relationship dating back to their childhood. What? Ok. Than you have Aerith, another avalanche member but also an ancient which is supposed to get people excited, but to someone new it’s a pretty unknown fact but I’ll allow it because you’ll do jumping jacks for her magic powers and consistent healing powers.

4.gif

Cloud burnt all his bridges and has baggage from his past and yet he’s still by far the most pro merc. out in final fantasy 7, constantly catching enemies like Shinra (and I’ll get into the enemies below) slipping. Cloud is a classic hero with a kinda resume that sends enemies packing, the ladies want him and there ain’t many characters like him, his big sword gives you so many benefits. Clouds allies look to him for help and he’s a classic box office character.

122751-1212246-ff7r-orig-1-article_image_t-1.jpg

I think the game has so many villains, enemies is definitely not one of Final Fantasy 7’s problems. Since the beginning of the game you are hit over the top of the head knowing that shinra (government) is the bad guy. Now this company or government has villains that belong to them.
Shinra_MP.jpg
No one accused these guys as being the best but I believe they’re capable.
final-fantasy-vii-remake-screenshots-info-456-740x416.jpg

this guy controls the soldiers above.
They hit you with robot mechanical enemies, ghosts that all strike fear in you.
8fe6e0461737617566aee7dc47dec8de.jpg

final-fantasy-vii-remake-reno.jpg

There’s also these turks who are bad news.
I’ve played RPGS (Dragon Age Origins, games today that include RPG elements) and the key to this game is embracing patience, Cloud will cut through enemies and that’s exciting but I can’t advocate for the linear world. Final Fantasy 7 is the kinda game that would benefit from open world the most.
thumbnail

just look at that, luckily they do a good job of getting the world building right seem below
FINAL-FANTASY-VII-REMAKE_20200412135731-1024x576.jpg

You see lots of areas that have feelings, really well developed, the unbelievable atmosphere but you think about the reactors that’s apart of the main quest.
71096_90_final-fantasy-7-remakes-midgar-is-city-made-into-world_full.png

Never has a plot been more clear yet confusing.
What’s happening is a big company is taking energy from the planet and point is you’re trying to restore the planet to its “natural” ways. You are gonna want to get Cloud’s buster sword fully intact by assembling core pieces and you can respect the simple upgrade system.
Final-Fantasy-7-Remake-Weapon-Upgrade-Guide.jpg

Final-Fantasy-VII-Stuff.jpg
You’re asking for trouble.

Discovering mantra in the middle of the map keeps you involved, the soundtrack is amazing and moving forward I’ll put myself in final fantasy conversations in the best interest of the series because the sheer volume of the franchise is MASSIVE and beyond everything said, FF7 reminds me you can hurt some people in the waiting process but overall get a pass for providing something old fresh again. It’s a powerhouse of a game I just hate it’s a linear world.
8-E583-AE4-274-C-4293-9-A1-C-91191-EB1-F7-AE.jpg

Ellery

Looking forward to the PS5 update 4K, better textures, 60fps, RayTracing and new content (all for free !).

There are some segments that a very slow where you just walk a linear path and that takes away from the game a little bit. It came pretty close to being a worthy masterpiece remake and it is a fantastic game that most people should check out. Way better than XII, XIII, XIII-2, XV

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Final Fantasy XIII but with a VII reskin and smash X to win combat with some light menu navigation. So many people are deluded into believing it's good because it's FF VII.

1/10th of a game spread thin across 40 hours, in that time you can beat FF VII and get KotR. lol.

Same ol G

Final Fantasy XIII but with a VII reskin and smash X to win combat with some light menu navigation. So many people are deluded into believing it's good because it's FF VII.

1/10th of a game spread thin across 40 hours, in that time you can beat FF VII and get KotR. lol.
That's insulting towards FFXIII yeah sure the game was linear but the gameplay was a lot better than the stripped down Kingdom hearts gameplay we got here.
Also OP is writing fan fiction and it's bad.

Shut up, you clearly didn't play the game. You can't beat it just with x, it's not that easy.

Last edited:

Fbh

Game is great.
Really looking forward to part 2.

And yeah, hopefully they improve the linearity. I have no problem with the game itself being made in a linear way, but they could definitely open up locations themselves and allow for more and better exploration.
At times it felt like it might have been a hardware issue. As much as I liked it, you could often tell they really struggled to get it running on the hardware with the relatively small areas and constant "hidden" loading in the form of constant squeezing through places, slowly walking over planks, etc.

How is it a XIII reskin? Because it's rather linear?
The combat is nothing alike, the leveling/upgrade system is nothing alike (I guess the weapon upgrade menu looks visually similar?), the structure is nothing alike with this one actually having urban locations with NPC's, real shops, sidequests and activities, minigames, etc.

Combat was fantastic too, WAAAAAAY better than the one in the original game and while it wasn't too hard I wouldn't call it "smash X to win". FFXIII on the other hand was, in fact, mostly press X to win for the first half.

Last edited:
Excuse me, did i say anything personal to insult you?
Or are you triggered because people actually liked some aspects of FFXIII?
Excuse me for my behavior, but to say that is an insult to fxiii, like it was a good game lol and trash ff7 remake, is just too much for me and who understands good rpgs.

Same ol G

Excuse me for my behavior, but to say that is an insult to fxiii, like it was a good game lol and trash ff7 remake, is just too much for me and who understands good rpgs.
As i said the world was linear but the story felt more like a Final Fantasy game to me than something like FF15 will ever be.
Also i don't count the gameplay as a traditional RPG but at this point it's just an action game and a bad one at that compared to DMC or Bayonetta.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

200.gif

someone clearly havent played the game. probably didnt even play the demo.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

"Tifa married to Barrett"

... married?

Not ... in a relationship?

Friends with benefits?

Just living together?

But married.

... okay, then.

Krizalidx11

Banned
Thank you Nomura for spoiling the F outta the story and making the game a hair away from being a FF7 simulator with tons of jokes for people who played the original

TheAssist

Plz record some gameplay of you defeating a mid to late game boss by only hitting x, while not being completely over leveled. Also explain how the menu navigation in this is different from the original FF7.

And btw. you can win most fights in any of the PS1/PS2 Final Fantasies by hitting the x button, since it defaults to attack and if you have the right level, most everything will die to enough basic attacks, even hard bossfights.

Also, how is this in anyway similar to FFXIII. Just because its not open world? Different combat, completely different story and characters, there is hardly any resemblance.

But sure, exaggeration will win any argument right? Its ok to not like the game and have opinions, but at least make a decent effort and dont just spill nonsense.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
You cucks are really hinging upon that smash X to win thing I said in hopes to liberate this mediocre game from criticism. lol.

Some of you are really sounding like snobs.

OP clearly said that this was his FIRST Final Fantasy game and therefore has had ZERO prior knowledge of the original.

And as someone who played the original, I couldn't even fully remember the storyline when playing the remake and even I got confused with the changes they made to the story - so I dont blame OP for being confused to the story by the end of it.

He misunderstood a few key points in the story and even didnt quite grasp the relationship of Tifa and Barret, it happens.

The game is literally just tip of the iceberg of the original and padded out with really mundane sidequests, so I dont blame anyone who never played the original to be confused.

It's like being a parent and taking your kids to watch Pokemon: The First Movie.

You just dont know what the fuck is going on, but it's cool you guess.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

You cucks are really hinging upon that smash X to win thing I said in hopes to liberate this mediocre game from criticism. lol.
explain please. dont worry i dont care if you think this game is mediocre. everyone has preferences but i curious how you can play the combat and beat the game by smashing X.

if there some unknown trick or anything please do share here.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I heard that others prefer the original, I decided to buy that one even though I thought that FFVII Remake looked like it would be a better experience. Fans are pretty divided here with this game? How much of the original content was altered or left out? And was the combat simplified as much as Werewolf Jones Werewolf Jones says? Curious to hear which is better from fans who have played both the original or the Remake

fart town usa

Gold Member
Finally finished this over the weekend. Played about 60% at launch and then started fresh in 2023.

Wow, what a game. Combat is a bit sloppy and messy at times but that's really my only issue. Thankfully the last boss rush was easy.

I know there were changes in narrative but I really didn't care. I've played through OG FF7 numerous times and I've always thought it was barely competent with the script. Remake on the other hand is like Ghibli/Disney magic to me.

Booted up the Intermission DLC. Stoked to finish that and then dive into Rebirth next month.

I think my favorite thing about FF7r is the script and voice actors. I've seen complaints on that too but I don't get it. I thought they nailed it and I loved the comradery and character development. It really was a magical gaming experience for me.

Top Bottom