• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lttp: Fallout 4

Jaxcellent

Fallout 4, hated the dialog options, loved the crafting. I put too much time in picking flowers to make lots of drugs for my char.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Fallout 4 is much better then its reputation makes you believe. First and foremost: it's a (virtually) bug-free, well written, well designed open world action RPG. Not many games on PS4, that can say the same. I finished it over the christmas break and it was a really enjoyable ride.
I can agree about fun factor, graphics, presentation, atmosphere and open world gameplay but it has some of the worst characters and writing possible.
The institute is horrible. The old psychic lady is horrible, The Railway... omg

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Never played Fallout 4. Is it better than 3?
Yes 3 was trash. If you take into account New Vegas, then 3 is absolutely useless game. F4 on the other hand is far more fleshed out game. With pretty cool graphics (you can install mods on the top of that), leghty meaty gameplay and so on. Only think which is dumb is that base building, but you can easily just do that once and never again.

Yes 3 was trash. If you take into account New Vegas, then 3 is absolutely useless game. F4 on the other hand is far more fleshed out game. With pretty cool graphics (you can install mods on the top of that), leghty meaty gameplay and so on. Only think which is dumb is that base building, but you can easily just do that once and never again.
I am triggered by your statement. Yes, New Vegas was better, but at least Fallout 3 had skill checks and more memorable quests than Fallout 4. I'm so upset right now, I need to go lie down.

The real answer is to replay New Vegas.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Spent some time doing a settlement build at the castle last night. I always thought the builds would be stupid and boring but I'm really enjoying it actually at the castle and vault 88. I keep running out of resources though, I have supply lines in place but if you plan on doing something it gets expensive. I rebuilt the walls using cement and then set up a kill zone for the one entrance. Should work good. One question I have is about traps, do settlers set them off too or just the bad dudes?

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Well, I FINALLY got the 100% happiness trophy. Costed me like 20k caps once I figured out how to do it (I know there are guides but I wanted to do it myself).

Promptly took most of it apart to make better use of settlers.

One question I have is on the tier 4 merchants. I met one at the cannery and sent her to sanctuary but she has never arrived. Am I doing something wrong or is it a known glitch

laynelane

If you want a Gauss Rifle, they're available for purchase from the weapon vendors in the game. At your level, if you routinely check their stock, one will turn up. Another way is to join the Railroad, do some missions for them, and their weapon vendor will carry them consistently. As for guns, it's probably best to use what you like and pick the appropriate perks to get the most out of them. Since you like Laser Rifles, you might like Plasma Rifles too (and you get a great resource from most enemies you kill with it). The Railway Rifle is fun too and very effective against animals, humans, and ghouls.

There is a specific point you can save at to do all four endings, but it would be a gigantic spoiler to tell you when that is. I guess the best option would be to join all the factions, do their missions, and that point will become clear as time goes on.

laynelane

Well, I FINALLY got the 100% happiness trophy. Costed me like 20k caps once I figured out how to do it (I know there are guides but I wanted to do it myself).

Promptly took most of it apart to make better use of settlers.

One question I have is on the tier 4 merchants. I met one at the cannery and sent her to sanctuary but she has never arrived. Am I doing something wrong or is it a known glitch

Rylee, right? It's a known glitch. I've only managed to keep her at a settlement for two days before she disappeared. Most of the time she never shows up.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
If you want a Gauss Rifle, they're available for purchase from the weapon vendors in the game. At your level, if you routinely check their stock, one will turn up. Another way is to join the Railroad, do some missions for them, and their weapon vendor will carry them consistently. As for guns, it's probably best to use what you like and pick the appropriate perks to get the most out of them. Since you like Laser Rifles, you might like Plasma Rifles too (and you get a great resource from most enemies you kill with it). The Railway Rifle is fun too and very effective against animals, humans, and ghouls.

There is a specific point you can save at to do all four endings, but it would be a gigantic spoiler to tell you when that is. I guess the best option would be to join all the factions, do their missions, and that point will become clear as time goes on.
I got a gauss rifle last night that does 521 damage and then adds 100 more radiation damage... It's pretty solid.

Also got an exploding shot gun too that I modded to around 250 damage plus the explosion. Tied with bloody mess it is awesome.

laynelane

Yeah, that's too bad. I guess there is no solution as I'd love another good merchant

There are two other Tier 4 General Store merchants you can recruit. Both are easy to find too. That said, one of them is buggy too although I've had great luck with the other one. I'm not sure if you want names because of spoilers. If you keep exploring, you'll eventually run into them and the other merchants too.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
There are two other Tier 4 General Store merchants you can recruit. Both are easy to find too. That said, one of them is buggy too although I've had great luck with the other one. I'm not sure if you want names because of spoilers. If you keep exploring, you'll eventually run into them and the other merchants too.
I found the vault tec one and the clothing lady. Thought I had found Rylee too but nope lol. I'll keep wandering for the other.

TheContact

FO4 is a great game! Not as good as 3 or NV, but still a great game. Had a lot of fun with it.

Many a True Nerd, a youtuber who does a good job at analyzing the series, released two videos. One praises it, the other criticizes it. Both are great and worth watching

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
FO4 is a great game! Not as good as 3 or NV, but still a great game. Had a lot of fun with it.

Many a True Nerd, a youtuber who does a good job at analyzing the series, released two videos. One praises it, the other criticizes it. Both are great and worth watching

Oxhorn and wasteland dovehkin both do great stuff too

Didn't you get the memo? Anything that isn't the best is absolute garbage now. If something doesn't improve on the previous installment in every way imaginable it's a complete failure and should never have been released.

strange , using vivid fallout all in one and now the loading has impoved.

Vivid Fallout textures don't just look better than the pudding textures that came with the vanilla game, they also use less space so they free up memory and help with performance. This is expecially true when comparing to the vanilla HD texture pack that Bethesda released after launch.

One of the best things you can do for this game after the unofficial community patch is download a good texture optimization mod. They will replace the pointlessly large textures on tiny items like forks/pencils/small items that you can't really see in-game with simple textures freeing up horsepower for the other texture improvement mods. They also replace most of the textures with a lighter version that looks identical. Optimization isn't one of Bethesda's strengths. When I was done setting up my game I had over 500 mods, some of which covered just about every single texture in the game, but my load times were the same as vanilla if not better.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
Didn't you get the memo? Anything that isn't the best is absolute garbage now. If something doesn't improve on the previous installment in every way imaginable it's a complete failure and should never have been released.

Vivid Fallout textures don't just look better than the pudding textures that came with the vanilla game, they also use less space so they free up memory and help with performance. This is expecially true when comparing to the vanilla HD texture pack that Bethesda released after launch.

One of the best things you can do for this game after the unofficial community patch is download a good texture optimization mod. They will replace the pointlessly large textures on tiny items like forks/pencils/small items that you can't really see in-game with simple textures freeing up horsepower for the other texture improvement mods. They also replace most of the textures with a lighter version that looks identical. Optimization isn't one of Bethesda's strengths. When I was done setting up my game I had over 500 mods, some of which covered just about every single texture in the game, but my load times were the same as vanilla if not better.
the loading screens are quicker now definitely , altho for the fps judder i had to use the ifpsclamp=61 edit in the ini , cant believe they still did nothing for this since fallout 3

Top Bottom