• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lttp: Fallout 4

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Got into Fallout 4 and I've really been enjoying it. I just hit level 40 but really haven't progressed much on the storyline or the other quests. I've just been doing side quests essentially. I have all the dlc and just did the initial stuff there, seems good.

I think I'm going to do a bos playthrough but is there a specific point where you can save so you can do each factions path?

I'm also completely lost on the freedom road quest. It says follow the path... Any non spoilery tips on that?

My brother also remind me about the x-01 armour you can get so I think I'll go hunting for that tonight.

Also, anyone have a comment on guns and which to focus one? I really like justice and the laser guns but don't know if they are the right path. I'd like to find a gauss rifle for sure.

Last edited:
The game will give you a “no return” warning before you permanently choose a faction. I always stuck with the guns that worked for my play style. Weapons didn’t feel nearly as important or unique as past titles since there’s no weapon degradation.

I really liked this game. I think it was unfairly criticized as a whole.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Shit tier RPG mechanics. They dumbed it down even to levels below Skyrim.

Shit tier dialog for a Fallout game. And even for most RPGs.

But man, exploration and immesion? Fucking amazing. I spent like 80 hours in this game. Didn't completed nor the main quest nor the factions or whatever. I just explored the world, taking all it's environmental narrative into my veins and exploring every nook and cranny.

Bethesda might do shitty wannabe rpgs but man, they really nail their worlds. And yeah, for this reason I prefer Fallout 3 over New Vegas any day.

EDMIX

But man, exploration and immesion? Fucking amazing. I spent like 80 hours in this game. Didn't completed nor the main quest nor the factions or whatever. I just explored the world, taking all it's environmental narrative into my veins and exploring every nook and cranny.

Bethesda might do shitty wannabe rpgs but man, they really nail their worlds. And yeah, for this reason I prefer Fallout 3 over New Vegas any day.

Their world building is on another level.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I still had fun with the game, but overall it wasn't as good as New Vegas or 3.

I did like the changes to the Power Armor, and the new designs for the Death Claws. I hated the weapon crafting and limited weapons. I much prefer simple mods/attachments. The layer armor was great change, but the armor system itself with upgrades and crafting was a mess. The legendary weapons being random effects was also a stupid change. Shooting is the best improvement.

As for the location, characters, and story, I felt like it had good stuff, but also plenty of bad stuff. Valentine was a cool character, but overall I generally didn't take a companion. Factions were mostly bad, and the Institution could have been so good. The story was too restrictive for this type of RPG, even more so than 3. Voice acting was pointless, and dialogue options were bad.

The perk system change wasn't the best, but some of the new abilities were really cool. Although, certain combos would completely break the game.

Aesius

Fallout 4 is a very mediocre game.

Fallout 4 on Survival mode, on the other hand, is a very, very good game. Suddenly the crafting system becomes extremely important and every encounter is tense. You have to be stealthy and play smart to avoid crippling injuries, losing progress, or getting a disease that you can't easily cure.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I had a blast with it personally. Even created some small mods myself.

Playing with NCR Ranger Armor and Anti Materiel Rifle from Nexus is great, and my favorite place was Far Harbor.
The only downside to me was that factions are all somehow involved with the main story, not seperate like in Elder Scrolls, making the game kinda boring once the story is though.

Last edited:

Vyndktvx

Neo Member
I’m playing through it for the second time ever. First time I was left really disappointed, the world was fun to explore and Bethesda finally built a combat system that wasn’t total dogshit, but the story was appallingly bad and the quest system was mainly a repetitive series of fetch quests. The factions felt underwhelming and I hated the voiced protagonist. I did like the companions, they felt like a major step up from ES’ followers and F3’s companions, while still being massively inferior to Bioware or Obsidian at their best imo, but I would like to see that companion system used in Starfield, ES, and future Fallout games going forward.

This time around I knew going in what I was in for, so I’m enjoying it more this time around. I got the GOTY edition from a friend for free so I figured I’d play through the game and it’s DLC again just to get a definitive opinion. Haven’t played through Far Harbor or Nuka World so I’m looking forward to those. I’ve heard Far Harvor was a massive step up over the base game, but haven’t heard anything about Nuka, anyone play through that?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

None of this shit matters. The customization (even with console mods) is decent and so is the gameplay.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
None of this shit matters. The customization (even with console mods) is decent and so is the gameplay.
You think? I dunno man, I would have get bored of it's gameplay if it weren't for it's world. Perfect game to chill while exploring the wasteland.

And yeah, it must be amazing with mods! Too bad I haven't those on launch when I played it on ps4. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
You think? I dunno man, I would have get bored of it's gameplay if it weren't for it's world. Perfect game to chill while exploring the wasteland.

And yeah, it must be amazing with mods! Too bad I haven't those on launch when I played it on ps4. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Yeah too bad Sony restricted the mods you could use on the Ps4. Hopefully when F5 hits the Ps5...oh wait lol.

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:
The problem with following the freedom road quest is you can begin it accidentally and then lose any indicator of where it is. That's what happened to me, I started it accidentally when going for Nick Valentine, eventually had to look it up.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Are you playing Vanilla?

I reinstall FO4 usually at least once a year and check out the new mods.

FO4 vanilla is kinda boring in my opinion unless you use the Survival Mode that was released. It gives purpose to water and food and the ability to rest. But even then, Bethesda's implementation leaves a lot to be desired. Luckily you can mod their survival mode too.

I look at FO4 as a great base line for me to mod the game how I think it should be. And thank god for that, as I'm not a huge fan with some of the drastic changes they made to core gameplay established from 3 and New Vegas.

Last edited:
One of the most disappointing games this gen imho. Graphics and art style are absolutely appalling. Load time was disgusting also.

When I saw how underwhelming the graphics looked at the time it was first revealed, I actually fist pumped. I was like "yes! They've focused on performance and optimization over pretty graphics!" But then it still runs like a bethesda game lol

Last edited:
Reactions: MrS
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
18 posts of people telling us how they feel about the game, and not one person answered his questions, or even tried to.
Somebody did answer him without hand holding him!
It's literally the freedom trail in Boston. Go to Boston commons and follow the red line on the ground. Read/interact with the plaque, go to the next location following the trail.

Neolombax

Played the game on base PS4, the game ran horribly. But because my wife got it for me for my birthday, I was sort of compelled to finish it. It was an ok game, I remember having a better time exploring in Fallout 3 though.

Kev Kev

Got into Fallout 4 and I've really been enjoying it. I just hit level 40 but really haven't progressed much on the storyline or the other quests. I've just been doing side quests essentially. I have all the dlc and just did the initial stuff there, seems good.

I think I'm going to do a bos playthrough but is there a specific point where you can save so you can do each factions path?

I'm also completely lost on the freedom road quest. It says follow the path... Any non spoilery tips on that?

My brother also remind me about the x-01 armour you can get so I think I'll go hunting for that tonight.

Also, anyone have a comment on guns and which to focus one? I really like justice and the laser guns but don't know if they are the right path. I'd like to find a gauss rifle for sure.
Any pipe weapons you come across, I want you to punt them into a trash can.

Fallout 4 was a mediocre game with a great environments, great art direction, a shit ton of stuff to do. Unfortunately it had some poor writing that took a lot of charm out of the game and it had some clunky controls (so much better than Fallout 3 or New Vegas, but still a bit clunky). I have over 2000 hours in the game thanks to mods and the sheer magnitude of crap you can do in the game with the settlement system. With mods the settlement system is just about limitless.

Fallout 4 with a few mods can become an entirely different game from what Bethesda shipped. Stability mods can get the game to the point it never crashes. Visual mods can make the game look really good without a performance hit (in some cases improving it). There are mods for vastly improved gameplay and a true survival experience with much better FPS controls.

I ran over 500 mods in my game. I used a lot of the gameplay mods, but kept my game looking as much like the vanilla game aesthetically as possible as I really do love the designs and architecture in the game.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
It's literally the freedom trail in Boston. Go to Boston commons and follow the red line on the ground. Read/interact with the plaque, go to the next location following the trail.
Thanks, this was super helpful. Took me a bit to get the last puzzle bit but I got it.

Seems like A kinda fun part of the game, shame the bos will make me wipe them out lol

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks, this was super helpful. Took me a bit to get the last puzzle bit but I got it.

Seems like A kinda fun part of the game, shame the bos will make me wipe them out lol
I mean you'd do this regardless because that entire faction is full of toaster fuckers who even the toasters think they are insane.

You can finish the game with only the Institute defeated. It's hard to get and requires things to be done in a specific order, but there is an ending with all factions, BOS, Railroad and Minutemen all on the same side.

It's hard to call it a Fallout game for OGs that enjoyed Fallout 1 and 2.

The world is too vibrant and too whacky for my taste. I prefer Fallout 3 and would play it over 4.

Beardsalt

I loved Fallout 3 but Fallout 4 is such a mess of a game that it constantly crashes on me. I recently started a replay with mods and the save files got corrupted 20hrs in which pissed me off because I had just remodeled Concord so I just stopped my replay!

nowhat

Weapons didn’t feel nearly as important or unique as past titles since there’s no weapon degradation.
I'm not a huge fan of weapon durability (or fragility, rather) mechanics, especially if they're taken to the extreme (yes, looking at you BOTW). But I thought in the Fallout setting it made sense, it's a quite terrifying feeling to be at the bottom level of a vault when your weapon suddenly gives up the ghost. In FO4, you just end up making your weapon better and better - it does end up being awesome, but there's no element of risk involved. I would have expected, what with being a "next-gen" Fallout game (as opposed to 3/NV) that I could actually see weapon degradation, like, it starts out looking pristine, then as the condition gets worse you start to see blemishes and duct tape applied, until the weapon becomes completely useless and the barrel crooked. Alas, that was not to be.

I really liked this game. I think it was unfairly criticized as a whole.
To each their own, but I thought it was just completely underwhelming. The base building mechanics may interest some, but really didn't add anything for me personally. And regarding the ending, it's really insulting that no matter what faction you end up siding with, you still get the same cutscene at the end.

Paasei

I really like the game. Not as much as F3 or FNV, but it's still a very cool game to play.

The biggest improvement is definitely the gunplay.

Another great game to mod the shit out of to keep it interesting even today.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The institute, the railroad... that game is so fucking bad.
It's just fan world to shoot around but that's about it

Soodanim

Gold Member
I never did do Nuka World, and I think it's because although it's a choice I associate that DLC with a bad character and F4 makes it harder to role play because of it's voice protagonist. Truly a terrible choice.

Fallout 4 is a very mediocre game.

Fallout 4 on Survival mode, on the other hand, is a very, very good game. Suddenly the crafting system becomes extremely important and every encounter is tense. You have to be stealthy and play smart to avoid crippling injuries, losing progress, or getting a disease that you can't easily cure.
I don't enjoy the base Survival mode, because like any Beth RPG they just throw extreme values on the damage multipliers and everyone becomes a bullet sponge while you become a paper target. Having said that, I don't think I ever tried it modded to base 1x values so maybe that's the way forward.
Are you playing Vanilla?

I reinstall FO4 usually at least once a year and check out the new mods.

FO4 vanilla is kinda boring in my opinion unless you use the Survival Mode that was released. It gives purpose to water and food and the ability to rest. But even then, Bethesda's implementation leaves a lot to be desired. Luckily you can mod their survival mode too.

I look at FO4 as a great base line for me to mod the game how I think it should be. And thank god for that, as I'm not a huge fan with some of the drastic changes they made to core gameplay established from 3 and New Vegas.
Speaking of modding, I'm particularly impressed with the mods that change the levelling system to more closely match previous games. Fallout 4, despite how much of a mess the modding scene is, has some decent framework mods that can allow for some really nice improvements.

For those that aren't aware, these are some of the framework mods:

• LevelUpMenuEx (3/NV style level up is back)
  • HUD Framework, for changing the HUD
  • Armor and Weapons Keywords Framework (for a lot of inventory related things)
  • Dialog mods (back to lists that reflect what you actually say, and extended past the 4 limit)
  • Unlimited Companion Framework
  • Workshop Framework (and Workshop Plus). One man made a shit ton of workshop stuff here
  • Pip-Boy Tabs (one of a number of framework mods that are necessary for Fallout 3 in F4, currently being made)
That's just some of them, and that's just the stuff that is something for others to build on top of. But at this point pretty much everything you can think of has had a mod released to change it.

I forgot one of my biggest annoyances with vanilla - inventory sorting. Mods allow item/weapon grouping, and it's infinitely better. Who needs to see every single key they've collected in an unsorted mix with other items?

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I've been building my vault 88 up and it's been great. Now I'm running the power and I'm having some issues. I have a "floating" over seer office that is connected by a stair way. I assumed stairs would carry power too but I guess not? Is the a way I can do this or do I need to add a support or something?

Also, I have a long walk way with lights hanging from it. I can't attach a vault power relay so do I get power to the ones that are out of range of the other ones?

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Got some oof this figured, still don't understand some of the connections around doors though. They seem to be almost random in how they work.

You also can't make a super duper huge vault can in vault 88? There is a size limitation

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Was watching a video of a person building a vault on PC (no mods) and they a bunch of different options that I don't have on ps4. I was going to build some of these in vault 88 but I can't find them. I own all the dlc, do I have to just unlock them or something? Or did the PC just get more options?

tbh, I agree.

I can see why people are disappointed when comparing this to New Vegas. And I can sorta agree, I love NV's roleplaying and story choice, and it's still my favourite Fallout.

But Fallout 4 is great in it's own way. I think it's a drastic improvement from 3, especially the combat, vats, and loot systems, along with a better open world city to explore, with no stupid subway tunnels.The rpg aspect is weak, but then again, it's not like Fallout 3 is some mind blowing RPG with complex choices that amount to more than just good or evil.

Caio

Almost 12 days in(280 hours), and can't stop playing it. Completely finished Far Harbour and Nuka World, and exploring everything. I need to upgrade a weapon I like a lot, but I need "Fuciliere" Talent at maximum to do so, other 4 little stars for that one. Preston Garvey doesn't want to be my friend anymore, he was not happy about my choice in Nuka World ah ah :messenger_beaming:

GenericUser

Fallout 4 is much better then its reputation makes you believe. First and foremost: it's a (virtually) bug-free, well written, well designed open world action RPG. Not many games on PS4, that can say the same. I finished it over the christmas break and it was a really enjoyable ride.

Fallout 4 is much better then its reputation makes you believe. First and foremost: it's a (virtually) bug-free, well written, well designed open world action RPG. Not many games on PS4, that can say the same. I finished it over the christmas break and it was a really enjoyable ride.
Well written? Fallout 4 is many things but it's definitely not well written.

Writing and story in this game is some of the worst I've seen in a modern AAA release. It's actually quite painful to expierience this trainwreck.

It's a cool looter shooter with building and crafting mechanics. I enjoy it for what it is but to call it well written RPG is just lunacy.

Spaceman292

Banned
You must be thinking of a different game

Top Bottom