• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: ESO…this game is massive

I’ve dabbled in MMOs before but as a solo player who wants an experience that feels as close to a solo game as possible nothing really spoke to me. Then I tried ESO expecting a typical mmo built around fetch quest, kill 10 of these and raids , I wasn’t expecting a game the recreated Bethesda’s solo rpgs as well as it does with a larger world allowing me to explore areas I’ve heard of in lore but never seen in a game. For an MMO I can enjoy this game fairly well as a solo experience and currently playing as a magic build necromancer and having a blast. This might be the MMO I finally stick with.

TVexperto

i thought it got bad reviews because it actually has lots of fetch quest?
not sure why its an MMO if everything is a solo experience... i always want to do stories with other players

Kagey K

Banned
I've played through it a bunch over the years, did all of Tamriel, but never really got too far into the expansions (even though I own them all) and while I appreciate it for what it is, the One Tamriel, go anywhere system doesn't appeal to me as much.

After playing a bunch of FFXIV lately (just finished ARR), it's basically the same where you can solo anything so far, but I appreciate the levelling areas and how some things are gated off until you become stronger.

The enemies scaling with you in ESO don't give you that feeling of strength as you level up.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I honestly forgot this game existed. Does it have any high difficulty content like savage/ultimate fights in ff14?

Drizzlehell

Banned
Yeah, the fact that it plays like a solo Elder Scrolls game is the reason why it's pretty much the only MMO I ever got into. I like that it doesn't pressure me into interacting with other players and I can just enjoy story quests at my own pace, and as an added bonus the writing and voice acting that's on par, if not better than the solo games. And if I really have to complete a raid or a quest that requires a party, the community has been pretty solid and I never had a bad experience teaming up with random people.

I also love it for being this cozy game that I can get into like a nice pair of slippers whenever I have nothing else to play, and traversing this huge epic world always feels like an adventure. There's a decent variety in environments and enemy types and experimenting with different character skills is also fun. Even after playing it for a few hundred hours, it didn't get even remotely boring or like I'm just going on autopilot. It almost takes me back to the days when I played Morrowind for the first time and everything about that game felt so grandiose and epic. ESO just takes that feeling and elevates it by letting you explore a whole damn continent.

Last edited:

Filben

It's completely ruined for me due to its difficulty. You can do 90% of the content totally brain dead.

It's a shame, really liked the worlds and many quests. But that scaling thing they did with One Tamriel basically killed the game for me. Equipment literally doesn't matter because it's so easy.

Mossybrew

It's completely ruined for me due to its difficulty. You can do 90% of the content totally brain dead.

It's a shame, really liked the worlds and many quests. But that scaling thing they did with One Tamriel basically killed the game for me. Equipment literally doesn't matter because it's so easy.

Yep. I tried twice to get into this game. I put in enough hours to progress through a few zones each time, and it just becomes incredibly boring because no matter where you go or what you do, enemies are just incredibly easy. There's zero challenge so it becomes mindless and then it's easy to lose interest. I'm sure there's some challenging endgame things but I could never make it that far.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
You know what else is massive..... *wink* *wink*

this growth on my hand... I should probably get it checked out.

poodaddy

Dreadful game. Gave it a shot as I love Skyrim, Oblivion, and Morrowind, found it utterly boring. Felt like game MMO design by numbers, but then I've hated every MMO I've ever tried. Just not a genre for me, I suppose I thought an Elder Scrolls take would be different, but it's the same soulless check list time sink bullshit as every other MMO.

OP enjoy the game for the first 30-40ish levels, then I suggest looking up build websites. Like Guild Wars, after a certain period of time it's good to invest in certain builds. Thankfully you don't have to commit to a skill build fully and you can change weapon styles at any time to try out something new.

Now to clear up a few things that people will bring up from the 2014 version of the game...

I honestly forgot this game existed. Does it have any high difficulty content like savage/ultimate fights in ff14?
Yes, the DLC areas has more of what you're asking for.

i thought it got bad reviews because it actually has lots of fetch quest?
I tried it for about 2 hours. Had a lot of boring fetch quests. Uninstalled
The original 3 campaigns have these sorts of quests. A lot of the DLC stuff (since 2016?) has mixed it up since then. The DLC makes for about 70% of the full game at this point. You can now start anywhere, go anywhere, and begin any questline, so that you're not funneled down the boring ones too much. It's better to use those 'kill 10 x' quests for grinding something instead.

It's got 3 factions to play, Thats 3 campaigns.
Yes, and this has been changed since launch. You are now able to access all 3 campaigns with one character now, since the 'One Tamriel' update years ago.

not sure why its an MMO if everything is a solo experience... i always want to do stories with other players
There is less and less of a requirement to play with other people in newer MMOs. There's been tons of videos on the subject but it comes down to this: Younger players don't want to bother with keeping up with a group and don't care to socialize as much, and older players simply don't have the time anymore to plan with friends to grind and raid for hours and hours. There have been a few recent MMO startups that have tried to bring back older things like 'the good old days' and appeal to those older players(WoW, EQ, FFXI, Asheron's Call, etc fans) but they mostly end up as dead games within 3-6 months once the novelty wears down.

The simple fact is this: ESO was a game that was a product of right time, right place, right platforms. It is mainly for people who like interacting with Elder Scrolls-style storytelling with a Guild Wars esque skill bar system Frankensteined with a semi real-time combat system. The quest design, like most people here mentioned, is very old and outdated. However this is as expected as it released on the tail-end of the mid 2000s MMO boom. It released on consoles back when console-MMOs were still very new and very unintuitive. It is the third best selling pillar of MMOs right now aside from WoW and FFXIV.

It is easy to pick up and play a few quests, and put down. It is also easy to get back into considering you're not juggling hundreds of skills at one time. It has it's issues, but as someone who has grinded to three max character levels and to account level 749(once you reach max character level you keep leveling for passives for all characters, including those under max level), it has it's fun moments.

Yes, there are communities. Yes, it's fun to randomly encounter a world boss and fight it with 50 other people. Yes, there's housing, dungeons, raids, and all the bells and whistles you expect from a usual MMO. But you don't have to mandatorily participate in these things if you don't want to, and to many that's part of the allure of this game.

Dreadful game. Gave it a shot as I love Skyrim, Oblivion, and Morrowind, found it utterly boring. Felt like game MMO design by numbers, but then I've hated every MMO I've ever tried. Just not a genre for me, I suppose I thought an Elder Scrolls take would be different, but it's the same soulless check list time sink bullshit as every other MMO.
Really good MMO overall, but the combat killed it for me.

Unfortunately this isn't Skyrim online. It never will be and it's been almost a decade since ESO released(2014). The combat will never be as good as Skyrim's on ESO's engine and servers that it's on. I know it sucks to hear, but just because people think this isn't a good thing, doesn't mean the game isn't doing well for what it is and works with what it has. It's just not what the Skyrim audience wants and I fully get that, because at first I was disappointed too. It's been a chip on the devs shoulder for the entirety of the game's existence and I'm sure that will be a number 1 priority if they ever end up making ESO 2. Honestly I have a working theory that Fallout 76 had to suffer massive amounts of criticism and dev time, in order for the next Elder Scrolls game to potentially have co-op or for the next ESO to run on that engine. I'm hoping I'm right.

Last edited:

caligula13

Gold Member
i started ESO two days ago. is there a community to play together in a team because i am not that much into solo play.

Top Bottom