• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[LTTP] Demon’s Souls PS5 - most of the level design is pretty awful

GermanZepp

Nah bro. This ain't chief.

You wanna see none existing level desig?
vwc5Za7.jpg
But it opens after 40 hours!! /s

fart town usa

Gold Member
Playing through Demon's Souls on PS5 years after the PS3 version made me remember how ruthless the game is with gravity deaths.

That wasn't really an issue in ER for me and I don't remember it happening a ton in Dark Souls.

Example:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Wut? You can be another player’s boss?
Yea, the final boss of world 3. It summons a player at random and that's who you fight.

Sucked for my recent playthrough, the guy it was summoning kept leaving before I could actually get to the boss room. I fought the AI summon instead and it was pretty underwhelming.

Fredrik

You should definitely give Dark Souls 3 a try if you preferred Elden Ring, it’s got a similar vibe to the world of being a load of proper environments where you can actually see more than 10ft in front of you.
Don’t know how much story it is, can you start on 3 or do you need to play the previous games first? I do want to play something similar to Elden Ring.

MagnesD3

Demons Souls is my second favorite souls game after elden ring for its atmosphere, level design and brilliant Megaman style alone. But I recommend the ps3 version.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Don’t know how much story it is, can you start on 3 or do you need to play the previous games first? I do want to play something similar to Elden Ring.
No need to play previous games. The story and lore is connected, but not in the typical way.

GametimeUK

You can for sure tell it's from 2009, but I kind of like that about the game. I don't think it's necessarily "bad", I actually really enjoy the ways the level design adds to the challenge, but it's certainly of its time. I adore the game, but it just feels some of the levels like 4-1 are a bit short. If that level design was expanded into a lengthier level I think it would still hold up today. 3-1 still holds up today in my opinion.

Actually I just flat out love this game <3

I’ve played this before on PS3 back in the day, so I was keen to see how much nicer it looks on PS5. And boy does it! Such a pretty game, and 60fps is transformative.

I trotted through the first few levels of Boletaria have a great time, until progress gets gated. So I moved on to Shrine of Storms, and really enjoyed the first level. Then it starts getting super difficult and honestly kind of dull visually.

So I moved to Stonefang, similar story. I enjoyed the first few areas, but then it seems to just decend into “random rickety walkways over lava” for most of the rest of it, apart from that annoying tunnel maze.

Again, same with Latria, I like the prison section but Upper Latria is fucking awful. I suddenly remembered when I got there, and noped straight back to the Nexus.

So where’s left to have a go of making some progress? Oh brilliant, fucking Valley of Defilment. A load of random rickety walkways and sudden death drops into the plunging darkness, oh fun!

Listen, it’s a beautiful game at times, and a really enjoyable game initially. But for me the level design just falls off a cliff after the opening few hours, I look at each of my options for progress with absolute dread.

The game is too much like hard work; it’s too oppressive, it’s too frustrating, it’s seems too much like some of the levels were just shrugged into existence.

And that world tendency mechanic, urgh…. I actually forgot about that! That’s absolutely bollocks too.

I think I’ll play something more fun and rewarding.

Discuss/mock.

Ta.
Use a guide. The game can be surprisingly easy if you know how.

Jormatar

It has bad level design for FromSoftware games but it still beats most other games in level design. In most games you don't even have to think or look around where you are going.

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

How do I push world tendency to black? I want to get the beast talisman from Scirvir.

I’ve killed myself 7 times in body form in Stonefang but the tendency doesn’t seem to have shifted an inch. Am I doing something wrong?

iHaunter

I’ve played this before on PS3 back in the day, so I was keen to see how much nicer it looks on PS5. And boy does it! Such a pretty game, and 60fps is transformative.

I trotted through the first few levels of Boletaria have a great time, until progress gets gated. So I moved on to Shrine of Storms, and really enjoyed the first level. Then it starts getting super difficult and honestly kind of dull visually.

So I moved to Stonefang, similar story. I enjoyed the first few areas, but then it seems to just decend into “random rickety walkways over lava” for most of the rest of it, apart from that annoying tunnel maze.

Again, same with Latria, I like the prison section but Upper Latria is fucking awful. I suddenly remembered when I got there, and noped straight back to the Nexus.

So where’s left to have a go of making some progress? Oh brilliant, fucking Valley of Defilment. A load of random rickety walkways and sudden death drops into the plunging darkness, oh fun!

Listen, it’s a beautiful game at times, and a really enjoyable game initially. But for me the level design just falls off a cliff after the opening few hours, I look at each of my options for progress with absolute dread.

The game is too much like hard work; it’s too oppressive, it’s too frustrating, it’s seems too much like some of the levels were just shrugged into existence.

And that world tendency mechanic, urgh…. I actually forgot about that! That’s absolutely bollocks too.

I think I’ll play something more fun and rewarding.

Discuss/mock.

Ta.
It's the first Souls game. It created the genre. What do you expect? It was their first attempt.

Demon's Souls still has the best atmosphere of any Souls game to date.

Thief1987

How do I push world tendency to black? I want to get the beast talisman from Scirvir.

I’ve killed myself 7 times in body form in Stonefang but the tendency doesn’t seem to have shifted an inch. Am I doing something wrong?
Strange, it should work. Killing NPC's or other players as a Black Phantom also shifting tendency to black.

M1987

I can't get into Demon's Soul's at all, the combat feels so clunky.Started Dark souls yesterday, and the combat is so much better, and that's a 2011 game

R6Rider

Gold Member

Go back to the Nexus and then return to the area you want and it should update.

Top Bottom