• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Death Stranding

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
i wouldn't recommend it for someone looking for story heavy games regardless
Then it puzzles me even more about why would they need to have celebrities in this game the first place! they have god tier character artist like Yoji Shinkawa on the project and still they went with celebrities as characters......why?

Miles708

Well they are people who won’t touch a game just because it has “anime” artstyle, it’s kind same for me with celebrities in video games.
While I share the sentiment (mostly because I think the best games are the ones distancing from cinema as much as possible), if you don't like those goons you probably don't know them either.

I surely don't (except for the protagonist, and only because of PT), so the fact that they're based on actual people is just a "trivia info" for me.

But yeah, if I would have already watched them on tv (or watched tv at all, lol) I would be put off much more.

Last edited:

Danjin44

While I share the sentiment (mostly because I think the best games are the ones distancing from cinema as much as possible), if you don't like those goons you probably don't know them either.

I surely don't (except for the protagonist, and only because of PT), so the fact that they're based on actual people is just a "trivia info" for me.

But yeah, if I would have already watched them on tv (or watched tv at all, lol) I would be put off much more.
And thats the issue, I did watch most of the TWD episodes and seeing his face in the game it kind of turns me off and I cant help it.

Guilty_AI

Then it puzzles me even more about why would they need to have celebrities in this game the first place! they have god tier character artist like Yoji Shinkawa on the project and still they went with celebrities as characters......why?
I mean, celebrities or not, good story or not, the character design IS pretty good, so is the direction and artstyle:

01-11-2019-death-stranding-higgs-boss.jpg

death-stranding.jpg

0xox2qnem7h41.png

latest

Last edited:

Miles708

And thats the issue, I did watch most of the TWD episodes and seeing his face in the game it kind of turns me off and I cant help it.
In this case I agree with you, "detaching" a familiar face from a famous previous role requires a bit of constant mental effort. Also, modern actors are mostly as charismatic as a wooden block.

It's also kind of cheating, from a creator's perspective, and an easy way to get your free "cinematic" points from movie connoisseurs.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I mean, celebrities or not, good story or not, the character design IS pretty good, so is the direction and art:
For me it just looks like scan faces of those celebrities, for me personally its huge turn off.

Its like if in FF7R, instead of having unique character design, you have celebrities for their faces.........
ChillyScrawnyGroundhog-small.gif

I just can't.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
My GOTY 2019. 9/10. Only issue is the side quests are all trash tier.

Kadayi

Banned
Sunk a fuck tonne of time into it but lost my mojo probably about 3/4th of the way through (it's on the list to return to this year) had a good time with it, and it's beautiful looking, however, it's not without its flaws, not the least of which is the at often times cumbersome UI that seems to delight in making you jump through unnecessary loops time and time again, which given you're doing it a lot gets quite wearing after a while.

Guilty_AI

For me it just looks like scan faces of those celebrities, for me personally its huge turn off.

Its like if in FF7R, instead of having unique character design, you have celebrities for their faces.........
ChillyScrawnyGroundhog-small.gif

I just can't.
Even if you say that, two of the faces i've show were covered.
Then theres also the details of their outfits, their color scheme and so on. Overall, i'd say the shape of the face is one of the least important aspects.

In fact, i believe the lack of proper facial features in anime artstyles is what led to characters in those works having such outlandish outfits and weird haircolors in the first place.

longdi

Banned
I did not like MGSV, the way the game is structured, the story, the motion sickness camera work.
Worst MGS by far.
Will i like DS?
Has Kojima lost his mojo?

It is $20 on Epic store, not sure if i should wait for it to be free? 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I did not like MGSV, the way the game is structured, the story, the motion sickness camera work.
Worst MGS by far.
Will i like DS?
Has Kojima lost his mojo?
If you didn't like how MGSV was structured, you might not like this one either.
Like MGSV, it also puts a heavy emphasis on player agency regarding how to complete objectives.

It is $20 on Epic store, not sure if i should wait for it to be free? 🤷‍♀️
I don't think this game will be free anytime soon.

Last edited:

kyussman

The most addictive gameplay loop I've ever experienced in a game.The way the progression was done with your items and abilities ramping up as the terrain became more and more hostile was brilliant and kept me totally engaged.....for all 164hrs!

Esca

I finally decided to give this game a go but now I'm wondering if there will be a ps5 remaster or just pick it up when I can get it for $20 on sale

dalyr95

Good game, but there's a massive fucking grind after the 6-8 hour mark to progress the main story which gets tedious very quickly. I spent around 50 hours on it, really enjoyed it for 25, but the extra padding without being able to skip it, urgh

longdi

Banned
Good game, but there's a massive fucking grind after the 6-8 hour mark to progress the main story which gets tedious very quickly. I spent around 50 hours on it, really enjoyed it for 25, but the extra padding without being able to skip it, urgh

Oh dear.
I just bought from Epic store, figure to support Kojima.
Stopped at the end of Ep1. Holy shit, it was a wild ride, Kojima is back!
Also the camera work is miles better than MGSV. No motion sickness.
Decima engine is great with high details cutscenes.

How many more Episode till it turns to shit? :messenger_unamused:

x@3f*oo_e!

I don't remember the grind other people talk about, but I did start S ranking missions early on, which probably helped build up resource.

And don't try to build roads before they've come on the chiral network -the additional resources needed are throught the roof.

Stolen image from reddit

I could have picked any random image - but this one brings it all back.
lhnAdFl.jpg

Such a gloriously ridiculous game and premise.

Not a Kojima fan and not even my goty. But thanks for the opportunity to do stupid shit like this.

Last edited:

Halo0629

I did enjoy it for what it is. It's pretty unique and it's trying to be different over the formulaic triple a games a lot of companies are just churning out every year. Game is quite slow and boring at the first few chapters but does pick up after that.

dalyr95

Oh dear.
I just bought from Epic store, figure to support Kojima.
Stopped at the end of Ep1. Holy shit, it was a wild ride, Kojima is back!
Also the camera work is miles better than MGSV. No motion sickness.
Decima engine is great with high details cutscenes.

How many more Episode till it turns to shit? :messenger_unamused:
The coasts are fine, when you're in the mid west it becomes a snooze fest.

Javthusiast

Banned
It was my goty last year. I loved the gameplay loop and never found it boring or just a walking sim. It was fun, unique and challenging. Bosses were definitely a huge weak point though.

Story was a little weak, had some cringy lines by the end, but overall I still enjoyed it. Especially the last couple sequences in terms of performances made me emotional. Specifically the last mission combined with the song playing.

Regarding real actors, it doesn‘t bother me in games. Sure completely original characters are always preferable, that is after all how iconic characters like Snake are born, but just like actors can play in different movies so can they in games no big deal. It never pulled me out of the story.

Can‘t wait for Kojimas next game.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
The coasts are fine, when you're in the mid west it becomes a snooze fest.

Yeah i could sense it when i watched the briefing for Ep3.
Going to play a bit more when i have time.

I read PCGamer gushing goty awarded to DS, going to shoulder on abit more.

So far, up till Ep2, it has been better than MGSV.
Better story laid out, better cutscenes, better acting, better controls, better environments, better music, playing on 21:9 pcmr setup helps. :messenger_bicep: :messenger_grinning_squinting:🤜

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I don't remember the grind other people talk about, but I did start S ranking missions early on, which probably helped build up resource.

And don't try to build roads before they've come on the chiral network -the additional resources needed are throught the roof.

Stolen image from reddit

I could have picked any random image - but this one brings it all back.
lhnAdFl.jpg

Such a gloriously ridiculous game and premise.

Not a Kojima fan and not even my goty. But thanks for the opportunity to do stupid shit like this.
Why not use trucks to transport the material to rebuild roads? I'd basically take a truck, load it up with materials and go from construction point to construction point, no point in carrying it by hand.
That said, i did only start after connecting the chiral network

Last edited:

x@3f*oo_e!

Why not use trucks to transport the material to rebuild roads? I'd basically take a truck, load it up with materials and go from construction point to construction point, no point in carrying it by hand.
That said, i did only start after connecting the chiral network
I did always uses (or bikes) when possible. Lot of those settlers were in the mountains in the second half though, and, for the bonus for quick delivery sometimes the road was too roundabout. [also no roads in first map at all]

..yeah re-read post - I did use truck for building (and carrying a huge arsenal of weapons too :) )

Ziplines mostly for fast deliveries and mountains etc

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I did always uses (or bikes) when possible. Lot of those settlers were in the mountains in the second half though, and, for the bonus for quick delivery sometimes the road was too roundabout. [also no roads in first map at all]
Was there a bonus for quick delivery? I never noticed, even when i supposedly delivered the cargo quickly using zip-lines.

x@3f*oo_e!

Was there a bonus for quick delivery? I never noticed, even when i supposedly delivered the cargo quickly using zip-lines.
Not sure (google says just more likes) - at least for the premium delivery (not sure I remember name right) - just did it for the extra challenge mostly

[edit - premium includes more cargo -which probably means the delivery center ends up with more resources you can withdraw too]

[edit-2 might need to play on hard for this - it wasn't hard at all though]

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Not sure (google says just more likes) - at least for the premium delivery (not sure I remember name right) - just did it for the extra challenge mostly

[edit - premium includes more cargo -which probably means the delivery center ends up with more resources you can withdraw too]
I remember premium was more about guaranteeing cargo would be delivered in better conditions (like, you weren't allowed to lose any cargo and had a max of 3% damage or so instead of 50%).
Well, either way i never bothered with delivering cargos quickly, except when it specifically established a time limit (though they were always pretty lax ones anyway)

Last edited:

Sebsal1874

Neo Member
Loved it, played for about 40 hours then stopped playing for some reason. Now I can't remember how to play it and I'm at a stage that seems to have an unskippable boss fight

Tried playing through it twice. Still have yet to really get past that 1st hour/hour and a half or so. I'm just so bored. But maybe I've yet to give it a fair amount of time.

Top Bottom