• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Death Stranding aka Punished Kojima's Magnum Opus

Yes! That what all should. I never seen a video talk about it myself. You end up 100% focusing on your deliveries. I went out of my way to clean the whole map. If you beat the main story they all respawn again, so finish all side missions first, I would suggest.
That's really cool! Would it make building the highway harder as you need the resources they drop?

I actually really enjoyed the BT fights believe it or not😆. They were visually amazing and it was fun when you could use the blood mist to make normal bullets really effective. I know I am the exception here though!

This is like the mules and terrorists you could wipe them out permanently but you had incinerate the bodies but then they wouldn't gather resources you needed again for the highway and other structures.

This is what's so good about the game nearly everything you do changes the map in some significant way affecting gameplay choices later down the line.

Again players that just bee line the story would probably see none of this. It was very revealing when a bunch players whined about delivering Mama across the map. No doubt these were the players that hadn't built up the highway or zipline network so they had to walk the whole way!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
That's really cool! Would it make building the highway harder as you need the resources they drop?

I actually really enjoyed the BT fights believe it or not😆. They were visually amazing and it was fun when you could use the blood mist to make normal bullets really effective. I know I am the exception here though!

This is like the mules and terrorists you could wipe them out permanently but you had incinerate the bodies but then they wouldn't gather resources you needed again for the highway and other structures.

This is what's so good about the game nearly everything you do changes the map in some significant way affecting gameplay choices later down the line.

Again players that just bee line the story would probably see none of this. It was very revealing when a bunch players whined about delivering Mama across the map. No doubt these were the players that hadn't built up the highway or zipline network so they had to walk the whole way!

I completed the highways! So satisfying doing so. No BT's don't gather shit AFAIK, and I think the Mules respawn again even if you kill them, some replace them. But I as you said if that is possible after some patches it's better to go non-lethal and enjoy their supplies!

Most of the ones hated about Death Stranding the same people that complain about "unskippable" cutscenes! Why even play the game if you won't see the cutscenes and enjoy the story!

Biggest mistake of your miserable life 😁
It not just about walking it's about building cool shit😁. The walking has to be a slog because you wouldn't appreciate all the cool gadgets you get later on that let you zip through the environment.

It's like in a first person shooter the first pistol you get is shit but your thrilled when you find a shotgun.

To be fair a reasonable criticism of death stranding is you can finish the game just walking which is why I think alot of players really hate it.

If you do get it I would advise to complete the side missions and build the highway. The game will naturally force you into playing in a more interesting way and you will unlock even more fun gadgets.
I may give it a try when i can buy it for 10 euros in a sale or something. Then i can decide if it was the best 10 euro i ever spent or not.
Biggest mistake of your miserable life 😁

I completed the highways! So satisfying doing so. No BT's don't gather shit AFAIK, and I think the Mules respawn again even if you kill them, some replace them. But I as you said if that is possible after some patches it's better to go non-lethal and enjoy their supplies!

Most of the ones hated about Death Stranding the same people that complain about "unskippable" cutscenes! Why even play the game if you won't see the cutscenes and enjoy the story!
Lol people complaining about cut scenes in a kojima game have nobody to blame but themselves! Even if you think there nonsense there still good fun.

Interesting about the mules. I killed 2 bases of terrorists and they never respawned maybe they do eventually.

Never played Death Stranding but OP has made me curious to finally give it a go. I like Kojima, even if I think he has a bit of an ego and is a bit too close to Hollywood for my liking, but his games always stand out no matter what he makes - for better or worse.
It's a high risk high reward purchase! You may love it but you may hate it as well lol

WoodyStare

The game is something of an acquired taste. It takes some getting used to with the traversal/gameplay aspects, but once you’ve grown accustomed to it and unlock certain abilities, the game really opens up and even becomes fun when you need to look for certain materials. I spent so many hours simply building roads to each city for others to use and I wouldn’t mind doing it again.

I don’t blame people for disliking the game though. It’s not for everyone, but I was personally never bored by it. I still think about that beautiful yet eerie atmosphere with the soundtrack. Playing it during lockdown was surreal.

Jokerevo

Banned
I loved the game, personally. It delivered an experience I haven't had 10,000 times already like every other game released these days. Kojima is batshit crazy for making this game - no other AAA studio/game would ever do something like this. Yes, it's flawed as hell and could seriously use some editing (fuck me for beating this game on a weekday and having to sit and watch the 2 hour finale at like 3 am) - but damn, it's one of the few games I will remember from this generation of derivative, soulless games that gets puked out, swallowed and shit out again every year.

I'm so glad Kojima gave us this game when he could've just re-skinned Metal Gear Solid to appease the masses and win an easy GOTY. Instead he released a bizarre, divisive game that stands alone. I understand people for hating it, in fact I'll probably agree with most of their arguments. All I can say is for me, it was the game I never knew I wanted and it gives me a sliver of hope the AAA industry can break through the cycle of big budget reiteration and down a path to big budget innovation.
Agreed on all points. It is a new genre. Makes you wonder what else HK has prototyped but could never make because of MGS. Leaving Konami was the best thing that ever happened to him.

I wouldn't class it as masterpiece because the story is a mess but technically and in gameplay terms it has that HK stamp of class.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

I love this game, and its not even close to a GOAT. You must be kidding.

I'm sorry but story and storytelling was a mess period.
The only good thing about the game was music, graphical vistas and actual walking from one stop to another. I am a slow player and damn I loved this game.

Javthusiast

Banned
It was my goty 2019. I adored the gameplay. The late night sessions I had, with my bike breaking down and me turtle crawling with too much Cargo to a center. Fighting off enemies on the way. Or me spending hours gathering materials to fully build the road. Sometimes using two trucks at the same time to carry materials, switching between them on the road by driving with one getting out and running back to the other truck, lol. While also fighting off enemies with their electro spears.
To then come back the next day and get showered with hundreds of thousands of likes from other people.

Genuinely getting emotional at the last story beats with Cliff, Die-Hardman and especially the last BB sequence. Despite laughing at some Kojimbo typical cringe like Princess Beach etc. xD Which I am perfectly used to btw, cause MGS is my favourite gaming franchise and Jimbo my favourite director, flaws and all.

Good times.

Last edited:
Love him or hate him. It's undeniable that Kojima is a creative powerhouse.

I remember watching those first death stranding trailers years ago thinking "no way this makes any sense". But it does.

I think the story is overly dramatic at times. But that's a Japanese thing I think. And I really hated the boss fights.

But it's a masterpiece in my opinion. It's very unique and creative.

This might be the game I get vorpx for to play in VR. I've seen videos of people playing it using vorpx and it looks great. I know it's not 6dof but still, it might be a good way to experience this.

makaveli60

!
It was my goty 2019. I adored the gameplay. The late night sessions I had, with my bike breaking down and me turtle crawling with too much Cargo to a center. Fighting off enemies on the way. Or me spending hours gathering materials to fully build the road. Sometimes using two trucks at the same time to carry materials, switching between them on the road by driving with one getting out and running back to the other truck, lol. While also fighting off enemies with their electro spears.
To then come back the next day and get showered with hundreds of thousands of likes from other people.

Genuinely getting emotional at the last story beats with Cliff, Die-Hardman and especially the last BB sequence. Despite laughing at some Kojimbo typical cringe like Princess Beach etc. xD Which I am perfectly used to btw, cause MGS is my favourite gaming franchise and Jimbo my favourite director, flaws and all.

Good times.
Haha, it’s crazy you can do things like this. Superb game design.

It’s so good to see that many GAF users appreciate this masterpiece the way it should be. I hope Kojima or someone from his team is reading this thread and feel proud.

Ezquimacore

Banned
I saw the mario and princess beach video and I thought "why would I play this?" But for some reason I still wanna try it. Is that scene super important to the point of spoiling the whole thing?

Last edited:

Hugare

I loved the gameplay, map, presentation, acting, cutscene direction ...

But the story is fucking shit. Convoluted, full of nonsense, terrible dialogue, cringy one liners ...

That "Princess Beach" shit. The game lost some points with me on that scene alone.

I love some campy stuff sometimes, but context is important, and that aint it.

Kojima is amazing at world building and gameplay design, but the guy needs to stay away from anything regarding writting

I am convinced that if this game did not have Kojima's name on it along with his dedicated fanbase, the game would have scored 6's and 5's across the board.

One of the fans in this very thread, just asked Kojima to save them from cinematic experiences when this game is the definition of a cinematic experience.

Azurro

Banned
Death Stranding is what happens when an industry legend believes his own hype so much that he overindulges on every little whim.

It might have attempted to make traversal interesting, it just didn't succeed at it. Not that it's a terrible game or anything, it's still ok, but far below any of the MGS games released. It's just boring, and incredibly boring and annoying experience.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

You don't just walk. You have time fall, BTs, scavengers, your cargo, and the geography to worry about. You plot your route and try to be as efficient as possible.
I would argue there is even more than that but probably worth a spoiler just in case.

Quite early on, you get to use anchored ropes and ladders to help with climbing, but typically the straight route you want to go, is blocked by terrain you can't instantly climb with a back load of cargo - even using a ladder.

If you time things well before time fall, you can quickly unload cargo - without it deteriorating too much - at the foot of terrain, blocking you.

Then you climb up, either using a ladder or just freeclimb, and then at the top you place ropes and abseil down the anchored rope/s. Then reload packages, and then climb up the rope/s - and retrieve any ladders/ropes you still need going forward on your journey

bender

What time is it?
It has the most interesting online mechanics since Demon Souls. That's the nicest thing I can say about Death Stranding. It really wasn't my cup of tea otherwise.

Top Bottom