• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Days Gone is an overlooked underappreciated gem of a game

Do you want a sequel to Days Gone

• Yes, sign me up

Votes: 204 65.8%
  • Need to play the original first

Votes: 61 19.7%
  • I am still unable to secure a PS5 :(

Votes: 18 5.8%
  • I want a new IP from Bend

Votes: 34 11.0%
  • Can we have a Syphon Filter Remake from Bend Studio

Votes: 34 11.0%

• Total voters

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I have all my consoles hardwired and it makes a big difference. You guys can probably get it done though if your both wireless.

I've used remote play and PSNOW, which is the same principle, many times wireless but much better wired.

Yea just virtually hand over your controller and sit back and watch.

A couple tips if you want them.

Some hoards I never fired a bullet at. Molotov, the other explosive jugs, and distractors are amazing for them BTW. Funneling them by explosives work well also.

Yeah my Pro is hardwired as well, that's a fucking great tip my man, cheers never thought to try shareplay

Mikey Jr.

I think the game went on for way too long. I think that hurt my overall impression of it.
I think it does a lot right for sure. But a lot of it didn't click with me. I'd personally give it a 6\10.

At the end of the day, I would prefer syphon filter. I really don't think that's going to happen though.

So I am very very cautiously optimistic that bend learns from their mistakes and builds a way better sequel.

Forsete

Game was buggy when it released, i waited somewhat 4months till they patched it

Zxi2TAL.jpg
Ah potato cars. I remember them from Cyberpunk.

Aenima

Love getting Boozer his pup. Such a feel good moment 🙂

dgN2snv.jpg
rcppyEV.jpg

What a game

8qiofOo.jpg
dfcqvyw.jpg
Nj6bQxu.jpg
Game still looks so good. And has one of the most impressive weather systems i seen in a game. When it snows you can see everthing getting a wet look and then slowly everething turning white from the snow. Then when stops snowing, back to melting untill its all wet and back to dry terrain again. So good.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
To me Days Gone is the most complete, narrative-driven open world with no shit fillers. And yes you clear areas and they'll be clean, even the random zombies on the streets if you kill them I remember they never respawn. Reminds me of clearing out BT areas in Death Stranding. Finished everything in the game, it was perfect to me with great characters, story, world, gameplay, everything!

Stuart360

I'm bummed about not making a sequel 'yet.

If I had to rank it would be my 3rd favorite game this entire gen.
The game sounds right up my alley. Open world, and zombies, love both.
Hows the whole having to fnd fuel, and constantly refuel' your bike mechanic?. Thats one thing that is sticking in my mind, it sounds annoying.

Gamerguy84

Hows the whole having to fnd fuel, and constantly refuel' your bike mechanic?. Thats one thing that is sticking in my mind, it sounds annoying.

In the beginning finding fuel is kind of a pain. You upgrade your bike as the game progresses though so it becomes less of a chore.

Still have to keep an eye on it because you do not want to run out with half of a pissed off horde coming after you.

The way all the systems work together though is extremely well done. Excellent game.

HotPocket69

Banned

It isnt tricky or annoying. If you have base level search and loot skills you won’t have a problem.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
'Need to play the orig game first'. And i will be when it comes to Steam.
If the game is as good as a lot of Sony fans say then yes they should damn well make a sequel!.

You love zombies, right? I don't, I fucking hate zombie games after it was new to me in 1997 with Resident Evil 2. I thought it would stay being theirs, I'm not well educated about who started that trend anyway.

But Ioved Days Gone so much, it's one of my top 10 of all times. And actually fighting the horde or getting surprised that there is actually a horde next to you and you've triggered them accidentally would fucking push adrenaline to the roof! You know it as their creepy soundtrack starts kicking in and you know that you're fucked if not fully prepared.

The best thing about it is that the number of zombies seems to be fixed, areas of random zombies or hordes when cleared out they don't seem to respawn, which adds a lot of realism and feel of accomplishment.

Like many have said, it's a victim of the far left extremists. Its main problem to them is being a white dude with a Christian name and he's straight and happens to want to ride his wife like he rides his bikes.🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
I just love the characters and writing so much. The people that say the dialogue is “cringey” and all that horseshit either only watched the church/marriage scene with the RIDE ME line or haven’t played much if at all whatsoever. Haters be damned 😤

Slight spoilers obviously for those who haven’t played yet :

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I just love the characters and writing so much. The people that say the dialogue is “cringey” and all that horseshit either only watched the church/marriage scene with the RIDE ME line or haven’t played much if at all whatsoever. Haters be damned 😤

The facial animation in this game for an open world is just phenomenal. It's so expressional and adds a lot to the density of the narrative. And yes I find the story, dialogues to be perfect and feel so organic like nothing in gaming.

Also you better put these videos in a spoiler for new players.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
To people who have hard time clearing one horde, you can kill them in phases, especially early one whey you don't have the arsenal to do so. Their numbers are fixed and I've finished the mills area in like 3 phases going back and forth until I got the tommy gun and another machine gun with upgrades throwables and bike storage.

It's a 7 or 8 I'd say, there are some bizarre design decisions made in the early game that make some parts a total slog (your bike can't ride more than 3km without needing fuel) but they become trivial by the end.

The atmosphere, activities and understated naturalistic dialogue all make it worthwhile to play. It did take the studio basically a whole generation to develop so it must have cost a bomb to finance, wouldn't be surprised if Sony don't take another risk like that.

I’m playing it now due to it being free from ps+ and I really am not getting the hype at the moment. Like the story is really bad imo and the world itself fairly uninteresting. The zombie horde stuff is cool but I feel like unless you’re getting invested in the story of the game or just love zombies it’s hard to get into it. Like it doesn’t really have a great open world or combat gameplay to keep me hooked. Maybe it’ll click I have around 5 hours or so? The gas conserving and general time of traversing from area to area, the crafting, the moving cars around, fetch quests and the combat encounters so far hasn’t been amazing for me but possibly I need better weapons - it looks very similar to the last of us games too so it feels like it should feel as good as those games with melee and stuff but I get that’s a high bar. Not too sad if Sony cancelled a sequel

Gamerguy84

I’m playing it now due to it being free from ps+ and I really am not getting the hype at the moment. Like the story is really bad imo and the world itself fairly uninteresting. The zombie horde stuff is cool but I feel like unless you’re getting invested in the story of the game or just love zombies it’s hard to get into it. Like it doesn’t really have a great open world or combat gameplay to keep me hooked. Maybe it’ll click I have around 5 hours or so? The gas conserving and general time of traversing from area to area, the crafting, the moving cars around, fetch quests and the combat encounters so far hasn’t been amazing for me but possibly I need better weapons - it looks very similar to the last of us games too so it feels like it should feel as good as those games with melee and stuff but I get that’s a high bar. Not too sad if Sony cancelled a sequel

5 hours? I've no idea where I was at that time but it wasn't anywhere significant. I was probably still mad at the game for guns not shooting correct and thought hit detection was off, it wasn't.

I was nowhere near fighting a hoard as of course you take them at your own pace and it's best to wait until you have to honestly.

Not to mention it starts out slow and in my experience drags for a while. It's worth going on because when it opens up it makes you want to keep coming back.

5 hours? I've no idea where I was at that time but it wasn't anywhere significant. I was probably still mad at the game for guns not shooting correct and thought hit detection was off, it wasn't.

I was nowhere near fighting a hoard as of course you take them at your own pace and it's best to wait until you have to honestly.

Not to mention it starts out slow and in my experience drags for a while. It's worth going on because when it opens up it makes you want to keep coming back.
Ok I will stick with it then - that is possibly what is throwing me off is the slowness

Ozzie666

I used to think a Sequel would be a good idea.

However, now I think a prequel, some sort of bridge game between Syphon Filter and Days Gone would be better. Not sure how it could work, but they've already hinted the two worlds are one in the same.

Could be two stories, how things came to be, and the early moments of the chaos.

HotPocket69

Banned
I used to think a Sequel would be a good idea.

However, now I think a prequel, some sort of bridge game between Syphon Filter and Days Gone would be better. Not sure how it could work, but they've already hinted the two worlds are one in the same.

Could be two stories, how things came to be, and the early moments of the chaos.

I’d prefer a sequel, especially after the O’Brien reveal. When you say your goodbyes to Kouri, he says he’s taking his men to Reno, Nevada. Maybe something drives Deacon to head out there to that desolate, empty city in the desert. And maybe it’s not so empty...

Top Bottom