• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Days Gone is an overlooked underappreciated gem of a game

Do you want a sequel to Days Gone

• Yes, sign me up

Votes: 204 65.8%
  • Need to play the original first

Votes: 61 19.7%
  • I am still unable to secure a PS5 :(

Votes: 18 5.8%
  • I want a new IP from Bend

Votes: 34 11.0%
  • Can we have a Syphon Filter Remake from Bend Studio

Votes: 34 11.0%

• Total voters

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Must be a minority complaining about any of those things. I haven't seen such silly complaints.

I thought this game was a solid 7/10. It starts off slow gets really good for a while but gradually gets repetitive. It's maybe too long with too many samey missions. I liked the story and the characters and am eager to see more. I want to see more variety in everything and less padding. The challenge mode is good but I'd like to see better stuff to unlock in it.

The critics on Metacritics that gave it the low score. If you dig you'll find them.

Must be a minority complaining about any of those things. I haven't seen such silly complaints.

I thought this game was a solid 7/10. It starts off slow gets really good for a while but gradually gets repetitive. It's maybe too long with too many samey missions. I liked the story and the characters and am eager to see more. I want to see more variety in everything and less padding. The challenge mode is good but I'd like to see better stuff to unlock in it.
Reposting this from other threads.
jurn-daysgonedlkjx.jpg

EDMIX

Right next to FFVII remake, I think this is the best looking Unreal Engine 4 title.

I wonder how folks feel about Days Gone now seeing just how shitty other games can really be. I don't think this game deserved the hate it got as sure it might not revolutionize anything, they didn't go around lying to be people claiming it would or anything like that. Days Gone released like how they marketed it, we saw hundreds of freakers on screen when it was first shown, thats what we got when the game came out. They have room for improvement, but for a new IP, I think they did pretty good and have so much that can be added that would only help.

Even more hype for Days Gone 2 running on Unreal Engine 5. Just give me more vehicles, more indoor locations and an ability to camp and hunt in the open world and I'm set.

Right next to FFVII remake, I think this is the best looking Unreal Engine 4 title.

I wonder how folks feel about Days Gone now seeing just how shitty other games can really be. I don't think this game deserved the hate it got as sure it might not revolutionize anything, they didn't go around lying to be people claiming it would or anything like that. Days Gone released like how they marketed it, we saw hundreds of freakers on screen when it was first shown, thats what we got when the game came out. They have room for improvement, but for a new IP, I think they did pretty good and have so much that can be added that would only help.

Even more hype for Days Gone 2 running on Unreal Engine 5. Just give me more vehicles, more indoor locations and an ability to camp and hunt in the open world and I'm set.

speaking of Unreal Engine 4, let me tell you Jedi Fallen Order looks equally stunning if not better. Just started jedi fallen order on PS5 a few days ago, jaw dropping visuals so far.

Hakiroto

You should keep playing to see the final ending for how it sets up the sequel. One last meeting with O’Brien.
Oh, really? Thanks for the heads up! I usually stick around in open world games and clean up any remaining side missions after the credits but I’ve had Immortals Fenyx Rising sat looking at me since Christmas so jumped straight to that. Guess I’ll go back. Thanks!

EDMIX

speaking of Unreal Engine 4, let me tell you Jedi Fallen Order looks equally stunning if not better. Just started jedi fallen order on PS5 a few days ago, jaw dropping visuals so far.

Agreed. ReSpawn did some damn black magic with that game lol

I'm hoping they expand their team and we get a much more epic Fallen Order 2.

Cyborg

Finished the game and got my Platinum! Such an amazing experience, much better than some reviewers were writing about it. Only complaint was the lenght of the game (20% to long).

Ok and whats up with Manny saying all the time '' Let me fill you up'''! :D

D.Final

Banned
So this game launched exclusively on PS4 early last year and was critically panned. Some even questioned the writing in the game(which clicked and connected with me, the writing was good imo). Some criticized it for performance issues like frame rate drops here and there, frame rate hitches, texture pop ins and some audio dropping off type issues. I waited for the audio and other performance-related issues before I could play it on PS4 and then the game fell off my radar.

A little over a month ago I was lucky enough to get a PS5 and that's when and how I discovered this underrated gem. The game is a free PS Plus game as part of the PS Collection for anyone who'd buy a PS5. 57 hours later the story concluded, credits have rolled, platinum trophy got unlocked. The ending was so well rounded.

Things that clicked with me:
-The beautiful bleak world of Oregon with a stunning time of day, dynamic weather conditions, volumetric fog, and god rays.
-Voice acting by main cast was spot on in many scenes. Deek has plenty of emotional moments in the game. Rikki Paatil, Boozer and Iron Mike voice actors knocked it out of the park.
-The shooting is very satisfying and the precision you get thanks to 60fps, has to been seen and experienced.
-Melee combat is fun too, weapon craft system is quite nice.
-The characters in the world are memorable. They've got an emotional arc in them as you progress through your questline.
-Clearing out Hordes is tense and satisfying.
-Riding the bike across the vast open-world is actually quite fun and the bike physics and handling are quite good.
-Enjoyed the realism in the bike mechanics, you run out of fuel you stop and you got to continue your journey on foot until you find a gas station around or find a fuel can.
-Games audio design can lead to scary encounters with infected humans, infected and noninfected wolves, and bears.
-Skill Tree upgrade was easier to understand and without this taking out the hordes would've been extremely taxing.

What I am neutral about?
-The game is long, like really long. I approached this game from the start as somewhat of a completionist mindset. Searching everywhere, collecting items, and crafting weapons. Exploring every nook and canny from the start till the end. I never got bored, not once. My sessions with the game were 2 hours during week days and 12 hours during weekends. I enjoyed every minute of it. That being said this game could be tedious for some.

Things that were weird
-I ran into some bugs. One had Deek flying like superman tossed by Zod up in the air, he'd then go fall on the far side of the world and die
-In another bug, deek would become invisible, the mouse aim reticle would go missing along with deek. I'd to multiple restart from checkpoints to address this and then it never happened after that. This happened fairly early on in the game.
-Random NPC's whom we save from marauders and rippers, they all look the same. I'd have saved this dude and a few minutes later, it's the same dude whom I saving again despite having told him to go and stay put in one of the camps around lost lake or crater lake.
-Cleared out a crucial horde that's dependant on main mission in the end. But the dialog conversation failed to acknowledge that I'd cleared out the horde well in advance.
-Transition from cinematics to gameplay leaves a lot to be desired. Too many loading between cinematics to gameplay to cinematics (Fade to black).

So yeah I think Days Gone is a game that people need to experience it on the PS5. The higher frame rate, the sharper resolution really makes the game world pop and feel alive than ever before. The texture pop ins have greatly reduced on the PS5 and loading is reasonably fast. I wholeheartedly recommend this gem to anyone who'd missed out on. But please make sure you're first experience of this is on PS5 and not PS4. Playing this on PS5 has been so damn transformative!

Sony Bend Studio being a relatively smaller sized studio pulled this major AAA game off. Kudos to them. I now badly want a sequel to this!
Yes.

It's a good zombie game, after all

Melubas

I got it on a sale a few months ago and went in with basically no expectations. I was floored by how good it was. The world felt just big enough without being empty, the characters were likeable, the gameplay was cool (especially the hordes), and the feeling of vulnerability while sneaking through a town or something with a horde in it at night is just impeccable. Would love a sequel and warmly recommend it to those of you who kept away from it due to the meh reviews it got.

I got it on a sale a few months ago and went in with basically no expectations. I was floored by how good it was. The world felt just big enough without being empty, the characters were likeable, the gameplay was cool (especially the hordes), and the feeling of vulnerability while sneaking through a town or something with a horde in it at night is just impeccable. Would love a sequel and warmly recommend it to those of you who kept away from it due to the meh reviews it got.
are you playing it on PS5? The visuals and gameplay at 60fps feels so damn good. Super precise shooting mechanics with low latency thanks to 60fps

Last edited:

Melubas

are you playing it on PS5? The visuals and gameplay at 60fps feels so damn good. Super precise shooting mechanics with low latency thanks to 60fps

Played it on PS4 Pro, but it worked just fine. I can imagine it being awesome in 60 fps though! Sadly it looks like I'll get a ps5 next year or something due to scalper assholes buying up everything here in Sweden.

Played it on PS4 Pro, but it worked just fine. I can imagine it being awesome in 60 fps though! Sadly it looks like I'll get a ps5 next year or something due to scalper assholes buying up everything here in Sweden.
ah man that sucks. I will keep my eye out for PS5 pre order for you.

D.Final

Banned
Maybe a PS5 upgrade soon

NT80

I think that Easy Allies Review was the best and closest to what I felt about the game.

Apparently the early reviews were done on a pre release version of the game which would've been buggier and missing extra features the game got later on. I think the fact that they also had to finnish the game in about a week or so would only have magnified the flaws the game has.

Last edited:

Kerotan

I think that Easy Allies Review was the best and closest to what I felt about the game.

Apparently the early reviews were done on a pre release version of the game which would've been buggier and missing extra features the game got later on. I think the fact that they also had to finnish the game in about a week or so would only have magnified the flaws the game has.

Respect for them being happy to give reviewers an early copy. They could have pulled a Konami and only let them review certain parts of it.

One of the rare examples where the end product far exceeds reviews. Nice for a change.

HotPocket69

Banned
I love how unwoke it is and stays committed to it throughout. Let’s be real, the whole reason you lost Sarah all this time was because bros before ho’s. How fucking great is that?

Boozer is a good egg though. And you bring him a puppy.

JayK47

The game is not perfect, but it is a lot better than the critics made it out to be. I am hopeful for a sequel, but I have doubts we get one, much less one that would do the series justice.

Jaysen

Banned
It was one of the absolute worst open world games I've played in awhile unfortunately. Fortunately thanks to PS+, I got to find that out for free.

SkylineRKR

Its not the most beloved Playstation game but Days Gone PS5 is easily 9/10 for me. Platinumed it and then there are still the challenges. The game does start off kinda weak though, as does Deacon. Some basic stuff is gated behind upgrades, like an ex military who can't shoot for shit. But other than that, I had a blast. Loved upgrading my bike.

Chemult. I’m supposed to burn them up with the super Molotavs. 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

You want to funnel them. And then unload with molotovs and explosives, and a good LMG with focus. Also helps to let them run past barrels to kill a few in one go. Or place remote explosives on an escape route you plan to make. Or throw a lure so that they pile up at an explosive truck or something.

Last edited:

Matt_Fox

You want to funnel them. And then unload with molotovs and explosives, and a good LMG with focus. Also helps to let them run past barrels to kill a few in one go. Or place remote explosives on an escape route you plan to make. Or throw a lure so that they pile up at an explosive truck or something.

I'd say keep your bike parked nearby and then creep carefully into the horde area. Rig it with explosives and then hit them with everything you've got before you beat a retreat to the bike, and then return to do it again.

Being a hero and trying to wipe out a big horde all in one go gets you killed.

TVexperto

Does this game ever get out of the woods? The location kinda seems samey and boring. Wondering if I should continue playing (i like the gameplay though)

TheZink

Thank yuu
I'd say keep your bike parked nearby and then creep carefully into the horde area. Rig it with explosives and then hit them with everything you've got before you beat a retreat to the bike, and then return to do it again.

Being a hero and trying to wipe out a big horde all in one go gets you killed.
thank you sir

TheZink

Its not the most beloved Playstation game but Days Gone PS5 is easily 9/10 for me. Platinumed it and then there are still the challenges. The game does start off kinda weak though, as does Deacon. Some basic stuff is gated behind upgrades, like an ex military who can't shoot for shit. But other than that, I had a blast. Loved upgrading my bike.

Thank you 🙏

TheZink

Does this game ever get out of the woods? The location kinda seems samey and boring. Wondering if I should continue playing (i like the gameplay though)
You enter a completely different section of the map later on. Still in the country but does feel different.

Dthomp

I just finished platinuming this game on the PS5, and this is easily in my top 2 or 3 first party Sony games. I can't believe how well the characters were written and acted, so many characters with great depth to them that I actually cared about finishing their story arcs. Is the game long? Yes, but no longer then the average Ubi open world borefest, but with many many more memorable characters, and interesting things to do. So glad I waited til after the PS5 upgrades to play this, was worth the wait for sure.

One of my favorite games on PS4. I just love the world they built and the horde stuff is so much fun. Got the platinum back when the game was new, now I'm really looking forward to playing the game again on PC.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Got to add that DG has one of my favourite end-credits/theme sequences of the entire gen.

No spoilers, but I just felt it nailed the battered and bruised ragtag heroic feeling they were going for in the story.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Absolutely loved it right up until my first horde, I hadn't really put any points into helping me kill them and the game won't let me out of the mission so it's groundhog day everytime I die and I just can't get that fucking horde beat so ended up giving up, which is a pity as my previous save is fucking ages away and my aim whilst under attack from all angles is woeful and these old ass reflexes of mine just can't get cycling through bombs/moltovs/guns quickly enough before being killed... Ffs

Malcolm9

Absolutely loved it right up until my first horde, I hadn't really put any points into helping me kill them and the game won't let me out of the mission so it's groundhog day everytime I die and I just can't get that fucking horde beat so ended up giving up, which is a pity as my previous save is fucking ages away and my aim whilst under attack from all angles is woeful and these old ass reflexes of mine just can't get cycling through bombs/moltovs/guns quickly enough before being killed... Ffs
The hordes really aren't that hard, you just need to upgrade your bike as well to carry extra ammo. The game even slows down when you are on the weapon/item select menu.

Possibly the most boring open world game ever. Just before the main character changed camps or something I thought that the game was ending but when I realised that I am just halfway through the I felt ....desperate.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
The hordes really aren't that hard, you just need to upgrade your bike as well to carry extra ammo. The game even slows down when you are on the weapon/item select menu.
Yeah I have a work colleague who takes the piss as he loves mowing through the horses, like I said I went into the mission not expecting to face a horde and now can't get out of it, my skills are set up for other shit and my guns aren't the heavy type machine guns as I was playing the game mainly stealth or long range, I believe there's a skill that allows a bullet to hit 1 target and travel through it and kill the next behind.. that'd be handy along with a decent weapon, tbh I parked it in the hope of getting a PS5 and playing it at 4k/60 as I really want to finish the storyline which I was enjoying, definitely one of the best open world games I've played in a long while, just a pity my skills are fucking lacking

Gamerguy84

Yeah I have a work colleague who takes the piss as he loves mowing through the horses, like I said I went into the mission not expecting to face a horde and now can't get out of it, my skills are set up for other shit and my guns aren't the heavy type machine guns as I was playing the game mainly stealth or long range, I believe there's a skill that allows a bullet to hit 1 target and travel through it and kill the next behind.. that'd be handy along with a decent weapon, tbh I parked it in the hope of getting a PS5 and playing it at 4k/60 as I really want to finish the storyline which I was enjoying, definitely one of the best open world games I've played in a long while, just a pity my skills are fucking lacking
Lol I hear you. They can be frustrating until you figure some things out.

If it gets too bad and you just wanna watch someone beat one so you can pick up some tips just shareplay the game to someone and sit back and watch. There are 40 of them so you get plenty of chance. But you don't have to fight them all.

It's a totally new game on PS5.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Lol I hear you. They can be frustrating until you figure some things out.

If it gets too bad and you just wanna watch someone beat one so you can pick up some tips just shareplay the game to someone and sit back and watch. There are 40 of them so you get plenty of chance. But you don't have to fight them all.

It's a totally new game on PS5.
I totally forgot about shareplay, that was something advertised waaay back at the start, can I share my game to my work colleague and just let him roll through it??? Wonder would it work with lag and whatnot

Gamerguy84

I totally forgot about shareplay, that was something advertised waaay back at the start, can I share my game to my work colleague and just let him roll through it??? Wonder would it work with lag and whatnot

I have all my consoles hardwired and it makes a big difference. You guys can probably get it done though if your both wireless.

I've used remote play and PSNOW, which is the same principle, many times wireless but much better wired.

Yea just virtually hand over your controller and sit back and watch.

A couple tips if you want them.

Some hoards I never fired a bullet at. Molotov, the other explosive jugs, and distractors are amazing for them BTW. Funneling them by explosives work well also.

Top Bottom