• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Darksiders...Impressive.

Khal_B

Barrow Roll said:
The common fetch quest complaint which is fair but I never really have a problem with it. It's nice to be able to traverse the world and find all those extras at the end of the game since you now have all of your abilities. You could do that anyways even without the fetch quest but it's nice to have some incentive or reason to revisit that area beyond going "oh hey, I remembered something from earlier in the game I can check out now that I have this upgrade."

I was never bothered by the end game fetch quests in all 3 Metroid Prime games either. *shrug*

I was talking about the final dungeon actually, dragged on a bit too much for me. I didn't mind the fetch quest either, having an excuse to use Ruin is always a good thing.

DonMigs85

I loved the game and Platinum'd it, but sold my copy for some extra cash.
Word of advice: Start the game on Hard and try not to miss any collectables.

plc268 said:
Maybe they didn't play it far enough? I agree, the pacing at the beginning is terrible, and it gives you all the indication that it's just another God of War clone.

It is mostly about fighting and much less about puzzles, all of which are so easy as to be completely ignorable, so it really does feel more like an action game than a Zelda clone. I wasn't stuck for a second. Which is why I actually finished this game :)

szaromir said:
There aren't many Zelda like games at all and the ones out there are usually pretty bad (e.g. Okami).

Oh, fuck off, troll.

I thought it looked pretty good. I then tried the demo and thought it was utter shit. Never looked back. Oh and the main character is probably the worst looking main character from this gen.

NZNova

I got to the bit where you
get the horse
and for some reason was bored to death, gave up on it. Somehow it didn't click with me at all. Maybe I should give it another go someday.

ZealousD said:
It's totally a dungeon. There's puzzles. There's a special item you get. There's a boss.

Just because it totally sneaks up on you and the level doesn't have a roof doesn't mean it's not a dungeon! =P
Yeah I guess, but I do wish we got at least one more traditional dungeon before the final boss.

DieH@rd

Banned
Also, this is one of the only Zelda-ish games for PC crowd that has come out... in ages.
If we ignore the emulators.

Kid Ying

szaromir said:
There aren't many Zelda like games at all and the ones out there are usually pretty bad (e.g. Okami).
I also hated Okami. There a lot of good ideas in there, but the pacing is so awful that i didn't even manage to end the game. Also, that little bug was annoying as all hell and the dungeons were quite bad.

But i love Zelda, so i think i will like Darksiders(even though Joe Mad is the character designer. Argh..)

Dyno

How you met your trusty steed was a great chapter and that fight with the Stygian is one of the most memorable battles that I've played.

Overall a very good game and an incredible first game.

theDeeDubs

scar tissue said:
twilight princess - good but not as good as darksiders
the ds titles - crap, worst zelda games since the cdi titles

This is exactly how I feel. Sadly at this point, Zelda is more of a genre than a game series to me. I really loved Darksiders. My only gripe was that War's character design bugged me. His voice actor was amazing though.

I enjoyed the game once I finished it, but I hit a point about halfway through where I was bored out of my mind in one of the dungeons. It just took too damn long, and that may be due to the combat. Whichever dungeon had the combat rooms with the restrictions (which were interesting at least), took forever.

I hope the sequel has faster combat and more streamlined dungeons, plus a slightly easier to follow story. Game looked great though, and I liked the hub area.

plc268

PhoenixSFT said:
I enjoyed the game once I finished it, but I hit a point about halfway through where I was bored out of my mind in one of the dungeons. It just took too damn long, and that may be due to the combat. Whichever dungeon had the combat rooms with the restrictions (which were interesting at least), took forever.

I hope the sequel has faster combat and more streamlined dungeons, plus a slightly easier to follow story. Game looked great though, and I liked the hub area.

What does that even mean, "more streamlined dungeons?"

Gino

darksiders sucks as a zelda game. Once I started having to fight a big group of enemies before the time ran out, or do all those other weird challenges I lost interest.

Feels more like GoW than Zelda to me.

DieH@rd

Banned
Gino said:
darksiders sucks as a zelda game. Once I started having to fight a big group of enemies before the time ran out, or do all those other weird challenges I lost interest.

Feels more like GoW than Zelda to me.

Play some more, beginning of the game is very combat oriented.

Gino

DieH@rd said:
Play some more, beginning of the game is very combat oriented.

I'm defiantly not done with it but the first few hours have not impressed. I'm tired of hitting a button just to see what crazy violence happens. Escpecially when you have to hit it like 5 times for each enemy. I like the Strategic combat that Zelda has.

I've very glad SS will focus even more on strategic combat. DS is like GoW where you just hit the button and push in a direction, then maybe roll every once in a while.

Xapati

Dyno said:
How you met your trusty steed was a great chapter and that fight with the Stygian is one of the most memorable battles that I've played.

Overall a very good game and an incredible first game.

Wait people liked the fight with the stygen? Maybe it's easier to control that part with the controller than with the keyboard because I had a difficult time aiming.
The rest of the combat was excellent though, don't know why others are complaining about it. The only real issue with the combat was that neither the scythe nor the gauntlet were anywhere near as good as the sword.

Randomizer

Derivative, devoid of any originality, awful art design especially the lead character design(Dudebro Blood elf), it is in every way a mediocre, average game. I know Twilight Princess has it's fair share of problems (Pacing, lack of side quests etc.) but if you think this game is in anyway better than TP you are crazy.

I have said many times before that I find the Zelda comparisons a little off-putting anyway as it is much more similar to Soul Reaver. Which is also a game that borrowed certain gameplay elements of Zelda such as needing specific items/powers to solve puzzles and kill certain enemies but it also had some fresh interesting ideas, a great story and overall was much more original than this.

chuckywang

Neo Member
I dunno, Darksiders got repetitive pretty quick, and I didn't find the puzzles all that stimulating. With the puzzles in games like Portal 2, Braid, and Limbo ... I actually had to THINK for more than a minute. The puzzles in Darksiders just seemed to be made for mass appeal, and they didn't want to make things too hard. The repetition came from the fact that I spent a lot of time just in transit, either running or horseback riding. I did beat the game, but didn't plat it. It was just a big "meh" for me.

Erasus

Love this game! Agree on your good points!

And you are not supposed to upgrade everything, that would just be op

Massa

Hm, the
portal
level has some excruciatingly bad puzzles. I'm this close to getting rid of this game.

Otherwise it's been enjoyable. If I had to sum it up: fun combat, distinct art style, some terrible characters and puzzles, uninteresting world makes exploration not as fun as it could be.

.la1n

Massa said:
Hm, the
portal
level has some excruciatingly bad puzzles. I'm this close to getting rid of this game.

Otherwise it's been enjoyable. If I had to sum it up: fun combat, distinct art style, some terrible characters and puzzles, uninteresting world makes exploration not as fun as it could be.

You are a shame to gamers everywhere. They are far from "terrible." Actually, they are fairly easy compared to other games with similar mechanics. Stick it out because it's not worth throwing the game away for. You are entitled to your opinion but an uninteresting world? What games have you been playing lately?

Massa

.la1n said:
You are a shame to gamers everywhere. They are far from "terrible." Actually, they are fairly easy compared to other games with similar mechanics. Stick it out because it's not worth throwing the game away for. You are entitled to your opinion but an uninteresting world? What games have you been playing lately?

Oh boy, I think I may have to turn in my GAF gold membership card. :p

Dragon

Banned
I think I'm about to enter the first dungeon, I was told to go find Tiamat. I'm about to get in there and this thing that throws cars at me murders me every time. Thing has way too much health, and when I die it restarts me at a checkpoint five minutes away and I don't have any healing items anymore :(. I've died five times on this thing. Only one of the times did I get a circle above its head which I assume means he's about to die.

Help!

x-Lundz-x

I'm actually in the process of finishing it now, probably will tonight. Fantastic game, will be pre-ordering Darksiders 2.

I pretty much agree with everything in the OP, with the exception of the final boss as I have not been there yet.

02pheland

Neo Member
while i dont think it was as good as zelda games i still quite liked it but got the feeling that is was a bit rushed and unfinished which is why im really looking forward to Darksiders 2 that and they said it will be a bit more rpg focused with armor and such

Massa

.la1n said:

Just to clarify, now that my rage is over: there are two kinds of puzzles in this game. The ones that are easy and you quickly complete, and the ones that are also easy but take a lot of dragging stuff around and just feel like a chore. You spend 5 seconds to figure it out and minutes actually executing the solution.

The majority of the puzzles fall into the first category, but the ones that don't annoy the crap out of me. And this applies to any adventure game that introduces puzzle elements (I remember Prince of Persia 2008 being a big offender, Darksiders is not really that bad compare to it).

As for the game world, it's just lifeless. The characters are just terrible, and that's really bad as they could really have been used to add some character and life to the world. For example, one of the hearts you go after is for a spider lady you speak to once or twice. And she is the theme of the entire level, which is full of webs and everything... and I just don't care about any of it. In that case simply making that particular character stronger would have made the whole level more interesting, and this applies to most levels in the game. The only remotely interesting character you come across the whole game is
Uthane

Anyway, I realize my post here was quite negative but I think it's a very good game. There are low and high points, but overall it's been a pleasure to play and I'll definitely be getting Darksiders 2 eventually. As soon as I finish it (I'm at
Eden
now) I'll go check out some preview coverage for DS2, curious to see what they're changing.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I'm playing the game now, and enjoying it as well. It does a good job of blending a bunch of familiar gameplay mechanics into an enjoyable experience. Good times. =D

sn00zer

Disagree with the uninteresting charaters. They were actually my favorite part of the game, the Watcher, Samael, and the shop guy were really lively cool characters. And War while a badass, was interesting in that he was just as confused about his situation as the player

Absolutely adored this game. I feels like the creators basically took a look at everything I loved as a kid and made a game out of it:

Stylistic comic book art? Check.

All the fun parts of Christian mythology and heavy-metal mythos? Check.

Action and adventure videogames? Check.

I loved the art.

I loved the universe.

I loved the dialog.

I loved the gameplay.

I cannot fucking wait for part 2.

Yanksfan

Barrow Roll said:
-Pacing in the opening act. It takes far too long to get to the first dungeon.

I am pleased to see you say this. I tried playing Darksiders and was greatly unimpressed, but I didn't even get to the first dungeon. I have heard nothing but praise about it as well, but just figured it was not my cup of tea. I will give it another shot and push myself further with it.

Honestly, name a Zelda-style game that has had a great opening act lately.

Wind Waker, Okami, Twilight Princess, Darksiders -- all of them take awhile to show their true, awesome colors.

At least there's no goat-herding in Darksiders though. That's a plus.

The Antitype said:
Honestly, name a Zelda-style game that has had a great opening act lately.

Wind Waker, Okami, Twilight Princess, Darksiders -- all of them take awhile to show their true, awesome colors.

At least there's no goat-herding in Darksiders though. That's a plus.
Just because lots of games do doesn't mean it's ever a good thing. :p

I hate the stealth dungeon in WW.

The opening of TP is painfully slow.

And I haven't played Okami yet.

Barrow Roll said:
Just because lots of games do doesn't mean it's ever a good thing. :p

I hate the stealth dungeon in WW.

The opening of TP is painfully slow.

And I haven't played Okami yet.

Oh, I wasn't saying it wasn't worth criticizing. I'm just saying it seems to be a theme of this sub-genre.

Even Assassin's Creed, which is kinda-sorta Zelda-like, has a slow build-up.

If you love Zelda-style games, PLAY OKAMI.

Favorite game on the PS2. Adored that game. I bought a 60gb PS3, just so I could play it on a whim.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Randomizer said:
Derivative, devoid of any originality, awful art design especially the lead character design(Dudebro Blood elf), it is in every way a mediocre, average game. I know Twilight Princess has it's fair share of problems (Pacing, lack of side quests etc.) but if you think this game is in anyway better than TP you are crazy.

I have said many times before that I find the Zelda comparisons a little off-putting anyway as it is much more similar to Soul Reaver. Which is also a game that borrowed certain gameplay elements of Zelda such as needing specific items/powers to solve puzzles and kill certain enemies but it also had some fresh interesting ideas, a great story and overall was much more original than this.

Twilight Princess is boring as all hell. Darksiders is not.

Randomizer said:

Darksiders is a new world to explore, with new characters to encounter and interact with.

Twilight Princess is a rehash of the same kingdom we've been exploring for decades.

Darksiders has great comic-book style art-direction. If it's not your thing, fine, but there are plenty of people (myself included) who loved this kind of art in comics in our early teens. It's meticulously detailed, yet every character silhouette is filled with personality.

War's character design makes him appear powerful, ancient, weathered, and distantly connected to the strife on Earth. His armor is a combination of the robes, plating and leathers used as armor in a variety of regions and time-periods, you can see elements of Samurai and the Middle Ages. Obviously, it's been tattered and re-pieced as a result of battles.

Twilight Prince is my favorite Zelda. It's a perfection of every mechanic and element I love about the series. But it is not as enjoyable, ambitious, or creative as Darksiders is with its mythology. And by borrowing elements from games outside the Zelda franchise, Darksiders is a game that does more, and better.

plc268

I loved the game up until the end. The final dungeon with the
portals
was annoying as fuck as well as the fetch quest at the end because I apparently didn't find all the Vulgrim locations. The final boss battle wasn't too bad... took me 3 attempts because he took a bunch of seemingly cheap shots against me. I was perhaps too aggressive.

Those are really the only negatives for me though. The beginning was slow sure, but it was absolutely great after that. Even those challenge rooms weren't a big deal IMO because you don't have to do anymore after the first dungeon. They're essentially just tutorial rooms.

But yea, I can't wait for Darksiders 2.

Top Bottom