• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Call of Duty Black Ops III

makaveli60

First of all, I’m the odd guy who plays CoDs almost for their campaigns only. I really enjoy the blockbuster movie like experiences they provide, so this is just about that, I haven’t touched multiplayer.

I think I never waited this much to play a CoD. It is because when it was announced and released in 2015 all talk was about multiplayer and that the campaign sucked because it focused on coop and it’s not a real CoD in this sense. I was also not a fan of Black Ops II so I just skipped this instalment as I was under the impression that it was not for me.

Then I think in 2017 Sony offered it in PS Plus so I jumped in and played a couple of missions but I was not too impressed, though I didn’t find it bad at all. However, I lost my save for some reason (at least it seemed that way at the time, for some reason it had my progress now, but I restarted the campaign from the beginning anyway), and I didn’t want to restart it so I just left it alone for later.

Now that Cold War released, I wanted to finish this first and I just did, and I’m really impressed by it. What I thought was entirely wrong. This is definitely a real CoD campaign with arguably the best story (batshit crazy in a good way) in any of the instalments. It is not for everyone I guess, but if you have an open mind you will enjoy it. It’s like fate wanted me to play it now, since we are so close to this being reality (no, really, look up who Klaus Schwab is, and what he and his globalist friends plan for the future...): AI, chips in humans, control through them etc.
This was Treyarch’s take on cyberpunk and I think they nailed it.

The world design is awesome, the developers enjoyed making this game and it shows. The levels are meticously designed and ooze atmosphere. What really surprised me was how good it holds up graphically even nowadays. Strange because at the time I felt it was a step back after Advanced Warfare, but that’s not true at all.

Gameplay-wise there were some frustrating segments, one hit killed by unknown forces, enemies teleporting behind me, frustrating checkpoint locations. Fighting robots is not that enjoyable (though I don’t know if any game ever managed to make it enjoyable), and I don’t like the loadout system because it restricts your weapon usage during missions. But these are all the negatives I had. It’s the same CoD like the others, if you like them, you will like this too.

If you have a PS5 and haven’t played it yet now is a good time I guess since it is offered “free” in the PS Plus collection. Looking forward to play Cold War as well, but first I will replay Infinite and Modern Warfare.

Gloomnivore

It’s the only mainline COD campaign I haven’t finished. All I remember is tedium of the missions, bland robot enemies, the dull set pieces and it not having much to do with Black Ops.

makaveli60

It’s the only mainline COD campaign I haven’t finished. All I remember is tedium of the missions, bland robot enemies, the dull set pieces and it not having much to do with Black Ops.
I think the set pieces were awesome, but I enjoy them in every CoD. Yeah fighting robots is not the best, but I think the game deserves another chance. By the way, do you know any game that nailed fighting robots? I never enjoyed it in any.

Last edited:

Fbh

This is one of those COD campaigns that almost everyone seemed to hate but I really enjoyed.
The story is silly but the missions themselves were a blast to play in coop with 2 friends.

I'd love to get more coop games like this. Give me less boring live service games about playing the same missions over and over for 500 hours grinding for loot, and more fun action packed 10 hour long coop campaigns.

Last edited:

makaveli60

This is one of those COD campaigns that almost everyone seemed to hate but I really enjoyed.
The story is silly but the missions themselves were a blast to play in coop with 2 friends.

I'd love to get more coop games like this. Give me less boring live service game about playing the same missions over and over for 500 hours grinding for loot, and more fun action packed 10 hour long coop campaigns.
The story is awesome. Though I’m someone who is a Twin Peaks fan, so I know my tastes are not for the masses. :)

Valt7786

Story was weird, but I didnt hate it, I like when Treyarch do CoD Campaigns, they put more effort into it than "Russian Bad, America FUCK YEAH".

Best CoD MP for a long time too IMO.

PSYGN

BO III is one of the few COD games where an LMG does well too in MP.

BRM is a good starting gun.
Yup. BRM when you had to carry your team against thirsty tryhard enemies chasing you down. Infinite Warfare being another game with very good LMGs. The Titan was slept on. Really enjoyed the RAW, too.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yup. BRM when you had to carry your team against thirsty tryhard enemies chasing you down. Infinite Warfare being another game with very good LMGs. The Titan was slept on. Really enjoyed the RAW, too.
I was a beast with BRM. Pretty sure my KD was over 2 and my win/loss % was about 65%. And that was playing with total randoms.

Only time BRM wasn't great is if you ran into some enemies who were good at jumping around Halo style where it was tough to adjust aiming high up the screen. Oh well, that's the nature of slow guns.

But for matches where it's more standard boots to the ground gameplay, I think I used BRM the whole time and rocked it. DP28 in World at War and FAL in BO 2 were great too..... until they nerfed FAL twice!

v_iHuGi

Banned
i loved the online, level 520 Master Prestige.

Installed on Ps5 and played a game, feels so good even to this day.

Removed it already because i feel that it was a game that fucked my social life altogether back in the day even with my ex lmao

Certinty

Since Call of Duty 2 came out there’s only two campaigns I couldn’t finish, Ghosts and Black Ops 3. Both just bored the shit out of me. Can’t even really remember what in particular with BO3 but it’s a shame.

Top Bottom