• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP Bravely Second: Layers and Layers of glory

Zebei

So a few years back my friend went on a rant on how much he hated Bravely Default, a game I had never heard of. His description of an utter bullshit finale intrigued me on what could get someone to that point and so I tried the first game (his copy, which I now own :p).

It's world and gameplay hooked me in so many ways. When a sequel was annnounced, I knew I wanted it instantly. Of course i'm super stingy so I only got the game a little while ago because of a sale.

I beat Fire Emblem Birthright pretty dissapointed in a lot of ways and then came to this game. And Luxendarc once again enveloped me. The gameplay and characters are still so stupendous.

https://youtu.be/-RuNHMPvaWQ
Bravely Second continues like the last game with its turn based combat system that lets you gamble turns and act multiple times at once at the price of being helpless for a while. Unless you defend yourself and let your amassed turns (BP) build up. It's a fun system that lets you do some crazy shit the more and more you master the system and dare to risk it all on a single action to try and save yourself and, even though it's "just" turn based action it gets pretty damn tense sometimes.

It also, once again has a plethora of Jobs to chooses from. The amount of options you get, and all of the available playstyles that come from the multitude of jobs and the BP system is amazing and makes you feel great. Of all the new jobs, I loved prety much all of them, except the catmancer and Patissier, which I didn't try. Oh, and magic is actually good in this game from beginning to end because of the Bishop and Wizard giving you so many options. :p

And the story and characters and the world. . .they are so good. Every character is extremely enjoyable down to their very last line. It's so hard to not fall in love with these characters. And once again, Square nails the party dynamic this game. Yew and Magnolia are adorable together but are mpre than just lovebirds, Edea is as fun as ever (easily one of my favorite characters in gaming), and Tiz is IMO, much better in this game than Default. So many enjoyable moments from beginning to end. Plus there is a bunch of fanservice to the first game. And the story is never afraid to throw a curveball or 4 along your way. I want get into it because of spoilers but I will say I though I had reached the end at least 3 times before something crazy happened.

And of course, that one part that needs to get mentioned EVERY time a Bravely game gets mentioned, how much the game is steamlined for players. Default was good with this. It let you lower the encounter rate of random battles or raise it if you wanted to grind. Or you could turn off battles entirely. Plus you could fast forward to make simple battles finish faster instead of waiting through 10 years of attack animations. You could also get streaks to make grinding faster. But Second cranks it up a bit, by completely trivializing grinding. It will still take a few minutes, but you can power level so easily and so quickly in this game, that you could probably just skip through every dungeon i you wanted.

Honestly, the only negatives I can throw towards this game are that its sidequest system is a little wonky, and that the music isn't as good as Default's IMO (Second's special move themes are so lifeless compared to Default's which were so unique)

The ending
Fuck the 4th wall amiright? I loved the insanity of the moment and seeing every character we've saved rooting us on for a climactic ending. Also a sequel hook is always appreciated if it means I get to return to a world I do not wish to leave.

There are just so many good things about this game. I just wish I had the skill to articulate why this game is so amazing and now in my top 3 of all time better.

TL:DR guy beats game he loves pretty much everything about and doesn't want to say goodbye to its world so he made a thread where he gushed about it being amazing (simple and quick yet complex gameplay, fun characters and story, customization and streamlined gameplay) to give himself a little bit longer.

Alt TL:DR Chomp Chomp!

Flarin

I have Bravely Second staring at me on my shelf. I really loved the first one, up until the ending. I agree with pretty much everything you had to say. It's a shame that the 2nd game's OST isn't as good. I would honestly say BD is one of the best, if not the bets, OST on the system. I'll have to get around to Bravely Second one of these days.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I bought the damn collector's edition and still haven't started this. Still didn't even finish BD despite mostly enjoying the gameplay.

I grew to really dislike the story in this game. The mix of light-heartedness and serious moments worked in the previous game, but this game it got old really quick. I ended up shelving it.

After thinking the first game was kind of disappointing (and not just because of the second half), I wasn't sure what to make of a sequel. I gave it a try and was pleasantly surprised. The world was more interesting this time around, combat was still pretty solid and I thought the story was a big improvement. They fixed my issues with the characters with a less annoying Tiz and by bringing back Edea and making Agnes absent most of the time. Both Yew and Magnolia were pretty good. The 'gimmick' was actually really neat and not at all a slog like Default's.

If the next game is as big of an improvement over this as Second was over Default, I am 100% in. I just hope there is a next game.

im still playing through Default, but i preordered and own the collectors edition of Second. On chapter 8 right now, stuck on the fight with
salvemaker, summoner, conjurer, and black mage

been stuck on it for quite a while, but outside of some cheese strat involving alot of
rise from the dead
i cant see myself being able to beat it without grinding out some more JP (tried to not grind throughout the whole game though, so hesitant)

really excited for the sequel though, if its supposedly even better than default

I love the combat and the job system of of the Bravely series, everything else not so much, the dungeons are boring as fuck for example.

Top Bottom