• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP - Bloodborne

I gotta get into the mechanics more.

There's some funky stuff going on with moves being queued or something. Anyone know the details? Talking about dodging and then attacking after, or not.

Got crushed in Byrgenwerth by that guy before the wheelchair guy. But I did get Shadow of Yharnam and invite to Cainhurst where I met this dude who kills me.

Last edited:

Orpheum

I gotta get into the mechanics more.

There's some funky stuff going on with moves being queued or something. Anyone know the details? Talking about dodging and then attacking after, or not.

Got crushed in Byrgenwerth by that guy before the wheelchair guy. But I did get Shadow of Yharnam and invite to Cainhurst where I met this dude who kills me.

Inputs being queued is a known issue in soulsborne games. I experienced it most when regaining control after being staggered or rolling after blocking (in Dark Souls specifically).

I think the person in Byrgenwerth is yurie and yes she can fuck you up, If you don't know how to dodge "a call beyond" you're toast. I killed her by essentially getting close, hit her 2-3 times, shoot. rinse and repeat.

Cainhurst is awesome, be sure to continue the Alfred questline once you defeated the boss ;)

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
A recurring theme for me: I’m quite good at smaller & mid enemies, even groups of them and careful crowd control or using the environment to survive a hopeless situation. But I still suck at giant bosses. They just have so much reach, and there’s nowhere to regroup or plan an attack
Stick close to the giant bosses and dodge through their sweeps/attacks. Your dodge has invulnerability frames that will negate the attack. Closing the distance, hitting, and then trying to get away to a safe distance again will end up being more dangerous and wasteful of your time because you spend too much effort moving in and out looking for a chance.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Playstation Access had a stream i dont't know..., today. Or yesterday already?

I like them.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Stick close to the giant bosses and dodge through their sweeps/attacks. Your dodge has invulnerability frames that will negate the attack. Closing the distance, hitting, and then trying to get away to a safe distance again will end up being more dangerous and wasteful of your time because you spend too much effort moving in and out looking for a chance.

I ended up passing the next boss by ringing the bell for an NPC hunter to join me--and having that extra misdirection in the fight was enough to easily stay on top of things and find openings. I can't decide, however, if calling another hunter for my boss battles is like cheating...

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I ended up passing the next boss by ringing the bell for an NPC hunter to join me--and having that extra misdirection in the fight was enough to easily stay on top of things and find openings. I can't decide, however, if calling another hunter for my boss battles is like cheating...
Pay it forward to another hunter sometime. That's in line w the spirit of the game. I do prefer to play BB solo, personally, except in chalice dungeons (where co-op is a lotta fun).

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I just installed this on ps5 yesterday. i've finished it 2 times on ps4 years ago.
Coming fresh of Demons Souls remake... I do have to say - BB still looks incredible. just a little low res.
But the 30fps ?! How can 30fps game be so smooth and responsive ?! 30fps in demons souls is nothing like that.

Anyway - amazing game... and the cane ! the way it transforms. omg so good... is cane only playthrough viable ?

Last edited:

Handy Fake

I just installed this on ps5 yesterday. i've finished it 2 times on ps4 years ago.
Coming fresh of Demons Souls remake... I do have to say - BB still looks incredible. just a little low res.
But the 30fps ?! How can 30fps game be so smooth and responsive ?! 30fps in demons souls is nothing like that.

Anyway - amazing game... and the cane ! the way it transforms. omg so good... is cane only playthrough viable ?
I do wonder if the frame pacing issues that From has with their games is somehow made purposely to enhance 30fps...

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I do wonder if the frame pacing issues that From has with their games is somehow made purposely to enhance 30fps...
I never understood the framepacing issue. When I stand in place and slowly rotate with right stick, it moves smoothly. There is no typical frame pacing problems

Valonquar

I kinda wanna play through it again, but know that 2 days after I re-clear it a patch would get released making it betterer.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Haven't had a free block of time to dive in for a week now, due to work and family obligations... it's killing me. This weekend I'll fire it up on the big screen even if I have to creep out of bed at midnight when my wife is asleep.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Well, I said before that I suck at bosses, because they’re huge and give you no room to move.

At least I can now say that I’m pretty good at some bosses. I beat the witch tonight on my first time seeing her. Thrilling, but a fight I could manage and tackle strategically.

Well, I said before that I suck at bosses, because they’re huge and give you no room to move.

At least I can now say that I’m pretty good at some bosses. I beat the witch tonight on my first time seeing her. Thrilling, but a fight I could manage and tackle strategically.

Hell yeah! Someday I'll get back to it. Loved the game, but only got about half way through. I still prefer the other Souls games over it but it's still better than 90% of the games out there.

Brute

Playstation Access had a stream i dont't know..., today. Or yesterday already?

I like them.

These streams are great, I love the PlayStation Access guys.

It looks so much fun (if a little easy) playing with two co-operators. I'd love to play through a Souls game entirely in co-op but my friends never want to join me on there becuase they don't like the From Software games.

Con-Z-epT

These streams are great, I love the PlayStation Access guys.

It looks so much fun (if a little easy) playing with two co-operators. I'd love to play through a Souls game entirely in co-op but my friends never want to join me on there becuase they don't like the From Software games.
There is a second one up already!

Sadly you get disconnected after every boss. Would be really cool to play from start to finish together.

I have the same problem!

Brute

There is a second one up already!

Sadly you get disconnected after every boss. Would be really cool to play from start to finish together.

I have the same problem!
Yes I watched the second one last night. Rob cheesing that mini-boss? I actually didn't ever find that boss and I've played through Bloodborne 3 times now!

Con-Z-epT

Yes I watched the second one last night. Rob cheesing that mini-boss? I actually didn't ever find that boss and I've played through Bloodborne 3 times now!
He is even acting like he never had a controller in his hands. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

That is so cool in general for souls games. You look so close and turn around every stone and yet it is so easy to miss complete areas of their games.

Brute

He is even acting like he never had a controller in his hands. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

That is so cool in general for souls games. You look so close and turn around every stone and yet it is so easy to miss complete areas of their games.
Yeah Rob definitely isn't that bad at Soulsborne games!

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
So... I don’t want spoilers, and I have avoided all media about the game (no idea how many bosses ahead of, what they look like, etc). But I’m wondering if I can get a non-spoiler bit of hint advice: it seems like the only remaining path forward right now is into this room where I’m suddenly picked up and instantly killed by an invisible giant or something. Do... I need to keep trying to get through this, or should I be ignoring this place for now? I think I’ve cleared every other area I can access.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
So... I don’t want spoilers, and I have avoided all media about the game (no idea how many bosses ahead of, what they look like, etc). But I’m wondering if I can get a non-spoiler bit of hint advice: it seems like the only remaining path forward right now is into this room where I’m suddenly picked up and instantly killed by an invisible giant or something. Do... I need to keep trying to get through this, or should I be ignoring this place for now? I think I’ve cleared every other area I can access.
There's a stairway leading up to a huge cathedral on the main path, and you are taking a side path to the place you've described. There's a side path to the left and to the right of the main stairway at the foot of two giant cathedral doors, and if memory serves you've taken the one on the right.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
There's a stairway leading up to a huge cathedral on the main path, and you are taking a side path to the place you've described. There's a side path to the left and to the right of the main stairway at the foot of two giant cathedral doors, and if memory serves you've taken the one on the right.
Correct - but down the left side is where I found the witch’s layer and slaughtered her—and it seemed like I was finished with that area. Perhaps I missed another pathway somewhere in there?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Correct - but down the left side is where I found the witch’s layer and slaughtered her—and it seemed like I was finished with that area. Perhaps I missed another pathway somewhere in there?
Hemwick Charnel Lane is a dead end area until you receive a special item later in the game.

You are in the right place. There is a broad staircase (you can't miss it) between Hemwick and the side-path that led you to down those long stairs to that invisible grabby guy. Just keep heading up the central stairs if you want to progress the main story.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Hemwick Charnel Lane is a dead end area until you receive a special item later in the game.

You are in the right place. There is a broad staircase (you can't miss it) between Hemwick and the side-path that led you to down those long stairs to that invisible grabby guy. Just keep heading up the central stairs if you want to progress the main story.
I guess I’m confused - up the central stairs was a boss fight, and I I killed it, but there’s no further path in that cathedral. Perhaps I’m misunderstanding.

Have you been to Old Yharnam yet? You would remember it by a guy shooting a gatling gun at you from on top of a building. Sorry if its spoilerish but its hard to find out where you are at without asking something.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I guess I’m confused - up the central stairs was a boss fight, and I I killed it, but there’s no further path in that cathedral. Perhaps I’m misunderstanding.
Did you touch the skull on the altar in that room and watch the cutscene? There's a door somewhere in the ward that asks you for a password, which you should now have.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Have you been to Old Yharnam yet? You would remember it by a guy shooting a gatling gun at you from on top of a building. Sorry if its spoilerish but its hard to find out where you are at without asking something.
Yep I finished that area I think.

Did you touch the skull on the altar in that room and watch the cutscene? There's a door somewhere in the ward that asks you for a password, which you should now have.
Ohhh, that’s it. I did watch the cutscene but completely forgot about getting a password, since I didn’t play for another week. I don’t recall who needed it now but can track them down in that area I’m sure. Thanks.

Last edited:
Don't forget about the spot with the invisible hand though. Soon you will get an item that will change things with that hand. Out of pure curiosity what weapon are you currently using?

Last edited:
Ohhh, that’s it. I did watch the cutscene but completely forgot about getting a password, since I didn’t play for another week. I don’t recall who needed it now but can track them down in that area I’m sure. Thanks.
At the big courtyard with all the giants and tombstones, there's a path behind one of the sleeping giants that leads down to the password door.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Don't forget about the spot with the invisible hand though. Soon you will get an item that will change things with that hand. Out of pure curiosity what weapon are you currently using?

I alternate the cane / chain whip weapon (beasts, crowd control, quick use) and the spear (powered up thrusts for larger enemies). Both are powered up quite a lot with fortify / blood gems, since I explored & leveled for a long time in most areas before moving on (don't recall the numbers since I'm not on my game right now), and the combination serves me very well. For the gun, I use the one that consumes 2 bullets, can't recall the name of it.

For a long time I was using the sword/hammer thing as my secondary weapon alongside the cane, but the spear has just worked very well for contrast and for its depth of thrust when you charge a strong attack.

EDIT: Since I enjoy this game like a revival of the great Castlevania 8/16bit adventures of my youth (the atmosphere, difficulty etc), please understand that this is what I see when I use my whip and spear:
BL_Long_Spear.gif
SC4_Mystical_Whip_2.gif

Last edited:
Random: the sudden appearance out of nowhere of the witch's summoned demons all over the place after I killed the witch, reminds me a bit of the Yiga that start spawning all over BOTW.
This is actually related to the time of day: as soon as it becomes nighttime the demons start appearing. So people who kill Amelia first have a much harder time in Hemwick than people who go there while the sun is still out.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Ventured out into those woods behind the password door last night... and it seems like I'm a bit overpowered now for this stretch of the game. I tore through everything out there like that village full of traps without ever being in real danger---well, everything except for the cave with the poisoned water in it, since I wasn't sure what I needed to venture into that (better equipment, perhaps... didn't try to put on my most poison-resistant clothing, perhaps will next time along with packing antidotes). I guess all the time I spent exploring & leveling repeatedly in the main areas, cathedral areas, witch's lair, bagman's prison / lair, and old town built up enough levels that some newer areas I'm reaching just aren't a threat anymore. I'm sure it will change soon as I reach new terrain again or a boss.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Ventured out into those woods behind the password door last night... and it seems like I'm a bit overpowered now for this stretch of the game. I tore through everything out there like that village full of traps without ever being in real danger---well, everything except for the cave with the poisoned water in it, since I wasn't sure what I needed to venture into that (better equipment, perhaps... didn't try to put on my most poison-resistant clothing, perhaps will next time along with packing antidotes). I guess all the time I spent exploring & leveling repeatedly in the main areas, cathedral areas, witch's lair, bagman's prison / lair, and old town built up enough levels that some newer areas I'm reaching just aren't a threat anymore. I'm sure it will change soon as I reach new terrain again or a boss.
Just wait for it. :messenger_alien:

Soon you will be granted eyes!

In terms of difficulty and storytelling.

Last edited:
Don't forget the poison cave!

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Don't forget the poison cave!
After exploring the frontier area for a while (giants throwing rocks at me, squids in the water) I found that I was once again facing annoying poison water... so I actually circled back to that cave just last night, since it's evidently poison in front of either of my paths. I made it through, and was surprised to return to the starting area of the game, but saved at the clinic lamp since I need to sleep. I see that I now have access to more of the original clinic at last, so I'm looking forward to continuing.

tav7623

Just came across this thread and I'm also slowly playing through this game (essentially) for the first time. I got the game as a Christmas present about 4 years ago and started playing it, but since it was my first soulsborne game (I've since attempted to play all 3 Dark Souls game, but never even made it pass a single boss before giving up on playing them or any other soulsborne games) I sucked so much that I didn't make it past the opening area of Central Yarnham. After a few attempts I got so pissed that I refused to play the game (hell I almost traded it in at Gamestop) up until about a week ago after getting inspired from watching one of the Playstation Access streams where Nate & Rosie help fellow Bloodborne noob Rob play the game. With this current playthrough I'm playing it on a PS5, I went with a solo/offline playthrough (cause the whole @$$hole "invaders" thing annoys/pisses me off and is a sure fire way to get me to break the disc so I never have to touch the game again) and went with the cane whip as my weapon since it gave me serious Castlevania (which is one of my all-time favorite series) vibes. In the course of the past week I've actually made about 3 times the amount of progress than I did the very very first time I played the game. So far I've beaten 3 bosses (Father what's his face, The Cleric Beast, & The Blood Starved Beast) and am currently trying to figure out how to open that giant gate by the Cathedral Ward. So far I feel that things are slowly starting to click for me a little bit so hopefully I'll be able to keep making enough progress to beat/get to the end of the game without getting too pissed off/frustrated.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
With this current playthrough I'm playing it on a PS5, I went with a solo/offline playthrough (cause the whole @$$hole "invaders" thing annoys/pisses me off and is a sure fire way to get me to break the disc so I never have to touch the game again) and went with the cane whip as my weapon since it gave me serious Castlevania (which is one of my all-time favorite series) vibes.

7d6.jpg

Awesome, you sound exactly like me on this one. This game is the best Castlevania experience since at least the GBA / DS series. If only Lords of Shadow was like Bloodborne.

And I agree on the online bit -- I like my solo experiences to be truly solo and isolating, so I've been in offline mode the whole time as well.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

I think Im going to sit down and force myself to play through for a while longer to see if this grabs me.

I just finished Days Gone and glad I did as its an amazing game. I hated it in the beginning though.

Maybe BB will do the same. Yes I'm gonna try again.

Top Bottom