• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Bloodborne - Filling Your Dark Soul With Light

Fandangox

hahahahahahaha MAJESTIC

KQMVUGm.png

C'mon guys he hasn't played the DLC. Don't look up the name of the boss in the dancing gif, OP.

I don't mind, I will usually end up spoiling myself in a lot of games, only really go out of my way to avoid them if they pretty much defeat the entire purpose once you know, like Ace Attorney.

Pilgrimzero

Still stuck on the first boss.

Got tired of having to go spend time refilling my items in between attempts to kill him.

And "asking for help" in coop is a fine idea, unless you aren't paying for PS plus.

Got tired of having to go spend time refilling my items in between attempts to kill him.

And "asking for help" in coop is a fine idea, unless you aren't paying for PS plus.

Once you've seen the first boss, you unlock the ability to level up in the hunters dream. Just in case you hadn't noticed. Otherwise, keep at it.

There are also two potential first bosses, you could go look for the other one if you wanted to do something else.

Fandangox

Which one the Cleric Beast or Father Gascione? The Cleric Beast is "the first boss" but its an optional one actually. Do take note that once you encounter any boss for the first time you will gain insight, so you can level up now at the Hunter's dream, or buy blood vials. Did you find the Hunter's set in the sewers? It has much better defenses than the starting set, I used it for most of my playthrough too.

Whichever of those two bosses you are having trouble with, stick close to them, and try using molotovs, they are both weak to fire.

Game is hard as fuck for me. I just got it too and have been getting my ass kicked. However, this game really helped my souls game. I get mad, go play dark souls 3 and kick the shit out of everyone.

Bloodborne forces you to scrap and Dark souls 3's pace is a bit slow imo. It made the "early" dancer of the borreal valley fight more bearable tbh.

Game is hard as fuck for me. I just got it too and have been getting my ass kicked. However, this game really helped my souls game. I get mad, go play dark souls 3 and kick the shit out of everyone.

Bloodborne forces you to scrap and Dark souls 3's pace is a bit slow imo. It made the "early" dancer of the borreal valley fight more bearable tbh.
What are you having trouble with in BB?

I'm replaying it right now for the first time since release and in the interim I've become completely obsessed with the Soulsborne games, to the point I've started watching live streams of people speed running the games, which is something I'd never thought I'd be into. It's great to go back and see how much better I am at the game, and how quickly I can tear through bosses that used to fuck me up for hours. One shotting Rom has to be one the most satisfying accomplishments I've had in gaming.

Replaying also makes me realize how amazing this game really is. I already loved it, but going back with broader knowledge of the game and just how much attention to detail their is... it's truly a masterpiece. It's my favorite From/Miyazaki game, and easily in my top five games of all time.

Once I'm done with the single player I'm going to head into the Chalice Dungeons. Maybe we can co-op sometime!

PSqueak

Banned
Started the game myself this month after buying it on december, was thinking of doing my own LTTP thread.

Im up to the Witch of Hemwick right now.

My absolutely fave part of this game that people rarely bring up is the level design/structure, like OP mentions the short cuts are amazing, they reward exploration and, in a game where save points are too far apart, it gives you sense of progression. Specially in the first Area where you spend a lot of time while you learn the game, you feel stuck because you're not finding new save points, but if you explore the shortcuts let you skip huge portions of the area and make reaching the first two bosses (Cleric Beast, Father Gascione) from the save point extremely quick. Exploring is really rewarding. Also, it's so easy to miss up things, i was talking about the game with a buddy and he mentioned you can get a music box to make Gascione easier, i looked everywhere and never found it, so i just said "fuck it" and killed the boss on my own only to much later find the box while revisiting the area to farm echos and items.

Another thing is, people blow up the "lol, soulsborne games are unfairly hard git gud" aura to the games, but playing them they feel sooo...like, if you die you don't feel cheated, you feel like YOU FUCKED UP, and even when you get the mechanics and areas become easy (like the mob at the burning thing mentioned in the OP), the game has no problem reminding you that even the slightest mistake will cause even the easiest enemies to kill you, and you will just feel shame, because you're supposed to know better. The Shovel Knight styled death mechanics of getting back your money also gives you a pretty good motivation to get better every time you die, because you want to enact revenge on what killed you and get your money back.

Jaraghan

An outstanding game all around. But Winter Lanterns can go fuck a cactus. Going for the vanilla blood rock is a right pain in the ass.

PSqueak

Banned

Later bosses in the game let you summon AI hunters in the same vein as online co-op.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Hands down, the best Souls game in the series and the best FROM game I've played. I cannot freaking wait for Bloodborne 2 with decent framepacing and a solid fps. That thought alone makes me hyped as hell for it.

Nose Master

I was in shock once I read up on everything that transpired throughout this game. The truth was always there yet I couldn't see/understand it. Grant us eyes, indeed.

Now go play The Old Hunters DLC, OP. Tell us once you've reached the setting found in H.P. Lovecraft's Shadows over Innsmouth...

EDIT: Oh, and although the Amygdala boss fight was easy the first time, it's absolutely one of the hardest bosses found in the chalice dungeons. It's a completely different fight.

Eh. Chalice
dog
is way worse. Amy still just hangs out while you wail on her crotch.

Gin

the game is amazing
the dlc is sublime

if you havent played the dlc yet - you are in for a treat
prepare your body for the last few bosses

Fandangox

An outstanding game all around. But Winter Lanterns can go fuck a cactus. Going for the vanilla blood rock is a right pain in the ass.

Oh I missed the blood rock the first time, I guess Im gonna have to go the chalice dungeons for it until I reach that area gain.

Socreges

Banned
Dude shit gets real right after that point . Its like the midpoint of the game and where it's true colors come to light.

Rom and its adorable tiny spids are weak from behind.

You can always ask people to help you out, you know :)

When it trouble, ask for help. Play Co-op.
Hmmm you're good people

OK I shall return this week. Will have to familiarize myself with the controls as it's been a while. Then I'll consult the OT.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I just stated this game and have never played a souls game. Killed the dudes at the bonfire then died. What tips do you all have for a beginner?

Fandangox

I just stated this game and have never played a souls game. Killed the dudes at the bonfire then died. What tips do you all have for a beginner?

Learn the enemies attack patterns and when is right to strike. For a first playthrough on this game specifically I recommend to ignore the bloodtinge and arcane stats and focus more on the other four, specially endurance. Keeping tab of the stamina is super important as you will want to have enough stamina to back out of an attack when you see the enemy is about to attack back.

Don't try to tackle multiple enemies at once, take your time with one or two. Pebbles will take an enemy's attention and drive them to you. Explore all you can, as you will find very useful stuff and unlock shortcuts that make it a lot easier to reach the boss.

- Sometimes running is the best course of action.

- Search everything. If it looks breakable roll into it. You may find a hidden path.

- Open shortcuts. They make the run back to the boss take significantly less time.

- You can level up in the Dream once you meet a boss for the first time or find an item called the Madmans Knowledge.

jviggy43

Started the game myself this month after buying it on december, was thinking of doing my own LTTP thread.

Im up to the Witch of Hemwick right now.

My absolutely fave part of this game that people rarely bring up is the level design/structure, like OP mentions the short cuts are amazing, they reward exploration and, in a game where save points are too far apart, it gives you sense of progression. Specially in the first Area where you spend a lot of time while you learn the game, you feel stuck because you're not finding new save points, but if you explore the shortcuts let you skip huge portions of the area and make reaching the first two bosses (Cleric Beast, Father Gascione) from the save point extremely quick. Exploring is really rewarding. Also, it's so easy to miss up things, i was talking about the game with a buddy and he mentioned you can get a music box to make Gascione easier, i looked everywhere and never found it, so i just said "fuck it" and killed the boss on my own only to much later find the box while revisiting the area to farm echos and items.

Another thing is, people blow up the "lol, soulsborne games are unfairly hard git gud" aura to the games, but playing them they feel sooo...like, if you die you don't feel cheated, you feel like YOU FUCKED UP, and even when you get the mechanics and areas become easy (like the mob at the burning thing mentioned in the OP), the game has no problem reminding you that even the slightest mistake will cause even the easiest enemies to kill you, and you will just feel shame, because you're supposed to know better. The Shovel Knight styled death mechanics of getting back your money also gives you a pretty good motivation to get better every time you die, because you want to enact revenge on what killed you and get your money back.

To your last point yes. Until the well, at least. *shudders*

Griss

Oh man, after so many attempts I finally beat defiled amy on my second play-through tonight, and then ran straight through the final chalice dungeon. Feels so, so good man, because the defiled chalice took me a few days.

Defiled amygdala was a perfect example of what makes these games so great. At first, it insta-killed me within seconds. Then, I got good at the first phase of the fight, but died shortly thereafter. Then, I could get it to the last phase, but would inevitably mistime one of its leaps and die in one shot. Then, I realised I had been fighting it the wrong way from the very start and once I got the technique down, I beat it without being hit. It went from seeming impossible, to very very hard, to doable... to easy. Easy! Fucking incredible game design. Truly astonishing.

BEST BOSS

No, this is

HOW had I never seen these before?! I might have just woken my neighbour...

Also, Orphan of Kos was a real motherfucker. Not as bad as those chalice bosses, but tough all the same. That and the fight down the well were the toughest parts of the DLC.

Afrocious

BB is my favorite of the series. I think the biggest issues the game has outside of chromatic aberration (which I can't see so it's not a big deal to me) is that the chalice dungeons are tedious despite holding bosses you wouldn't fight at all in the main game, and making it necessary to dedicate some time in collecting vials.

Ludwig:

horse-head-mask-takes-off-two-masks-13579959419.gif

Luminaire

One of the greatest games ever made. It's rare that something can come out and check all the boxes you didn't even know you had.

Figured I would post here instead of starting another LTTP thread.

This game is fucking awesome and completely justifies a PS4 purchase IMO. I had a PS4 at launch but sold it because I got a lot of free games on XB1 (another story), but recently picked up a Slim bundle for exclusives such as BB and UC4.

I just defeated the witch of hemlock or whatever it's called so I'm not very far in, but this game has its hooks in me. I played some of DS1 and beat DS3 so I'm not exactly new to Soulsborne games, but everything is so damn scary and/or disturbing in this game that it scratches a different type of itch. For example, every checkpoint or shortcut I reach ushers in a wave of relief. It's almost like beating a boss.

I have to say that I'm incredibly surprised by how active this game still is. I'll try a couple of times to beat a boss on my own, but if that fails (as it did with the witch) then I use the beckoning bell to summon some co-op. However, I didn't really expect that many people to still be playing the game, especially the earlier areas that I'm in. I couldn't have been more wrong as I almost immediately receive help from some sort of BB gods it seems. I know everyone isn't a fan of summoning help, but it helps alleviate frustration yet still provides immense satisfaction when a boss goes down IMO.

And a bit off topic- remote play is the shit. I am shocked that I can play a game like this via remote play where timing is so important. But I can and actually have played most of the game this way so far. I have to say I'm starting to favor my PS4 over XB1 for this reason alone, as Microsoft of course won't let me stream games to my MacBook.

In short, I get what the hype was about and can't wait to get off work so I can get back to it.

LordOfChaos

music boss quest

The who now? Or boss - box?

But yeah, it was grand, made me glad I got a PS4 nearly singlehandedly.

Funny how bosses go, I semi-accidentally beat the cleric beast the first time, I had planned on just getting the insight and levelling up but sticking near his legs made it easy. Father G I think took two or three times side-dodging like a mofo.

Ironic bit is, everyone seemed to say the One Reborn was one of the easiest (discounting the Witch non-boss), but it took me the most tries of all!

komorebi

As you once did for the Vacuous Rom...

I love the Micolash fight. The best is getting him caught in a running loop to where he doesn't drop down into the second cage match. I was actually able to kill him by chipping his health away in one of my playthroughs

EDIT:
AAHHHHHHHhhhhhhhh....NOOOO Now I'm waking up...!!??

LordOfChaos

EDIT:
AAHHHHHHHhhhhhhhh....NOOOO Now I'm waking up...!!??

I started thinking about that line and then started chuckling uncontrollably at work once.

It's delicious tragic irony. His main concern is about waking up and forgetting everything, but he doesn't realize, he's been a long dead corpse in the real world for a while since he stayed in a dream so long, he'll just wake up and - nothing - because he's actually dead in base reality.

SheHateMe

I don't want to derail the thread, but I also don't want to create yet ANOTHER BB thread, so yeah, here goes: I've been at the party since the DJ set up and started playing. (Bought it Day One.)

I played it for 45 minutes, died multiple times, and shelved it. Picked it back up very late last year and gave it another go. Got to the Cleric Beast and fell in love with game right then and there. Bought the Old Hunters DLC and one timed Father Gascione (thanks, tree, for taking all the damage).

And I'm stuck at some jerk ass shooting a Gatling gun from uptop a tower at me.

What do now? Is the Saw Cleaver worth going +4 for, or should I buy a new weapon? Am I screwed? Should I start over? (I'm level 28.)

Am I fashionably late?

Fandangox

Oh man Djura (Thats the gattling gun boss). You don't have to fight him at all in fact
you can even befriend him!
Just try to rush past the church below his tower to unlock the shorcut, making it a lot easier to reach the boss.

If you are having a lot of trouble with the area, you can buy a key emblem for 10000 echoes which unlocks the next door near the Cathedral Ward. Although I'd recommend not skipping Old Yarham if this is your first pkaythrough.

Also I have been trying to get summoned to help people, get some vermin, and just fight some of the bosses again, but man it takes a while to get summoned. A couple of times the host also died right away in the boss fight, booting me out.

LordOfChaos

I don't want to derail the thread, but I also don't want to create yet ANOTHER BB thread, so yeah, here goes: I've been at the party since the DJ set up and started playing. (Bought it Day One.)

I played it for 45 minutes, died multiple times, and shelved it. Picked it back up very late last year and gave it another go. Got to the Cleric Beast and fell in love with game right then and there. Bought the Old Hunters DLC and one timed Father Gascione (thanks, tree, for taking all the damage).

And I'm stuck at some jerk ass shooting a Gatling gun from uptop a tower at me.

What do now? Is the Saw Cleaver worth going +4 for, or should I buy a new weapon? Am I screwed? Should I start over? (I'm level 28.)

Am I fashionably late?

You're not screwed, practically almost ever, the starting weapons can all carry you through to the end of the game. You can certainly get a new weapon though, what's your build looking like? Something like the Kirkhammer is good for strength, if you have enough echoes Ludwigs can make a lot of things easier and is good for STR+SKL.

The gun guy killing you isn't because of poor levelling, he's supposed to be able to kill you when you get to that area, it's just about use of walls and running. Took me a few tries but if you dodge roll past all that crap under him (crows and the other hunter) you can go in a door in the tower under him and then continue from there to another area.

In fact, general pro tip for any newcomer to it - the game does encourage running past things if you get stuck on them. The vast majority of things aren't faster than you.

Goldboy

In addition to the advice others have given, I'd like to add that you shouldn't worry too much about dying--even if you lose your Blood Echoes. It's easier said than done but once you learn to look at each death as a learning experience rather than a failure, you'll find yourself getting through areas a lot faster and just having a better time in general.

Rippa

Don't mean to hijack this thread OP but I, like yourself and many others have just start this beautiful game and we must give it praise. I have to admit that this is my first Soulsborne game ever. I bought it in the Holiday December sale that Sony was having. From the very beginning, it's had its fangs dug. The lore of the game, it's just fantastic. It's giving me some nostalgia; back to when I first started Castlevania SOTN. Sans the platforming of course but just the lore of it all.

The sights to behold in this game is incredible. I'm not too far into the game (just smoked the bitch of Hemwick) as I'm still learning the mechanics of it all but I know to take each death as a learning experience. I share the same sentiment as many others in that this game must be experienced. Anyone reading this that's thinking of jumping in, do it. You'll thank yourself with the satisfaction of each beast you take down. DO IT!!

Top Bottom