• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Been going through the Darksiders games that I skipped the first go around and I really like them

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I'm playing them in backwards order, I already beat 3 and 2. I know 3 is considered the weakest of the 3, but so far I've actually enjoyed it the most. Maybe it's because I didn't play the first two when they first released, so they didn't feel outdated with graphics or gameplay.

I'm currently in the middle of Darksiders 1 and I have to say I'm really liking this series. I know they made Genesis, I haven't gotten around to that yet, I doubt I will for a while. But I hope they make another mothership Darksiders title in the future. I like how it has a little bit of the Metroid type elements in it. Upgrades, backtracking, unlocking new areas with new abilities, etc. And a little Zelda elements mixed in too.

I do think the equipment system in 2 could've been much better. Too much redundant crap and choosing when you want to upgrade. I think the series is better served with set weapons you can't upgrade. And 2 bothered me with only being able to scale parts of walls that had the little wooden coverings on them. Can't tell you how many times I see a perfectly scalable wall only to be pissed I can't climb up at that section. Even Darksiders 1 you have more freedom to scale walls.

But minor gripes.

Sucks I missed these first go around, but better late than never.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

I really liked Darksiders 1 back in the day, enough to recently buy 2 and 3.

However I haven't played any yet :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
Darksiders 2 was like a deep dive.

Every time I got back to it I was clueless as to where was I and where I was headed to.

I never finished it.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member

Every time I got back to it I was clueless as to where was I and where I was headed to.

I never finished it.
Say what you want about hand holding games. But having a way point can be crucial in games. Too many times I didn't know where to go in a game. I just end up quitting.

Too lazy sometimes to look at YouTube walk throughs

At least have an option to turn the way point on/ off to appease everyone.

Say what you want about hand holding games. But having a way point can be crucial in games. Too many times I didn't know where to go in a game. I just end up quitting.

Too lazy sometimes to look at YouTube walk throughs

At least have an option to turn the way point on/ off to appease everyone.
Just an overall straightforward summary of what happened and what's the current goal is very helpful, yes.

Some games are worse than others, but I remember with Darksiders 2, two weeks was enough to not having a clue as to what is going on when you are in the middle of the game.

I wish I played it in one go, but it was gigantic, and sleep inducing at times.

I'm actually getting the itch to turn it on and try again.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell

I never finished it.
I did the same thing, but got back into it recently.

Borrow a method from me. When you stop certain games, write down where you are, what you have to do, all the controls and nuances of the game so you can have a little cheat sheet handy to get you back to speed.

radewagon

Man... Darksiders II. What a great game. Michael Wincott's performance alone would have been enough. Luckily the rest of the game is great too.

BabyYoda

Banned
1st is my fave and what I regard as the best in the series, a very worthy Zelda/Metroidvania style game. Genesis is well worth playing as well btw, in coop or solo! Glad you finally gave this series a chance, if only more did!

Another greatly underappreciated game is Prey, the more recent one (I loved the original as well when it came out, but it hasn't aged well imho), give that a go as well if you haven't already, it's superb!

Kagey K

Banned
I like all 3 games. Specifically because they were so different.

1 was like a zelda game. 2 was like a dungeon looter and 3 was a Dark Souls clone. I really wanted to see a Strife shooter game and then a Diablo like with all 4, but Genesis happened instead.

Top Bottom