• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Banjo-Kazooie

daTRUballin

After seeing how pleasant and fun this game is, Grunty's Furnance "Fun" takes that and grinds to a screeching halt. By far my least favourite part of the game. It's mostly the timed challenges and instant death pits that annoy me, especially when you've made such good progress.

Are you serious? You didn't like Grunty's quiz show? That was by far one of the best parts of the game ._.

Did you not collect any of the joker cards? You could skip the instant death pits and the timed challenges with those.

Chuckie

You might enjoy this video. It does a great job talking about the creative differences between Mario 64 and Banjo and why Banjo resonates more with some people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KefouzkH7k

Got that was nice to see! Haven't played the game since the N64 days but have always had fond memories of it. Especially Click Clock Wood. Seeing the video I realised how much awesome stuff I had actually forgotten....including that damn Ice Key haha.

I agree with her though. Mario 64 was the more important game and B-K owes everything to it... but B-K was an improvement on Mario in almost every way.

Are you serious? You didn't like Grunty's quiz show? That was by far one of the best parts of the game ._.

Did you not collect any of the joker cards? You could skip the instant death pits and the timed challenges with those.

Going from enjoying the levels to this quiz show is jarring (in a bad way) for me. It wasn't fun for me and found it quite annoying at certain points (timed challenge where I have to beat the boxes is ridiculously strict and drains health so fast).

Kinsei

Banned
Going from enjoying the levels to this quiz show is jarring (in a bad way) for me. It wasn't fun for me and found it quite annoying at certain points (timed challenge where I have to beat the boxes is ridiculously strict and drains health so fast).

You should know to expect this in every future Banjo game.There are also going to be quiz show segments in Yooka-Laylee.

daTRUballin

You should know to expect this in every future Banjo game.There are also going to be quiz show segments in Yooka-Laylee.

It's also worth mentioning that all the quiz shows are different in each game. Maybe the OP will like Tooie's better. I dunno.

Silvawuff

What a treat for you, OP! I'm really glad you get to experience this game.

I personally 100%ed every single save file on my cart.

That'll definitely temper my expectations for Banjo Tooie's endgame. I finally managed to get over GFF and risked the final instant death pad praying for RNG to give me an easy question. I'll never take that kind of risk again lol.

Off to Gruntilda.

yophlow

Banned
Tooie is a great sequel OP. As it actually implies you played through the previous game, the first area is much more complicated than Mumbo's Mountain. If you enjoyed Kazooie for being more of an adventure game rather than purely a platformer, you'll enjoy Tooie as well. While some people prefer Kazooie's faster pacing, Tooie is essentially "bigger and better" with its very unique and expansive levels. The things you need to do in that game to get jiggies are much more elaborate than in Kazooie, sometimes there is even interactions between two different levels as some are connected. For some people it was too long/big for what was a simple platformer/adventure, but if that's the aspect you enjoyed the most about the game you'll feel right at home, the humor, the levels' settings and the compelling nature of the challenges are just as good, if not better than Kazooie's.

Kazooie is my favorite 3D platformer ever. Tooie I got bored of within a few hours. It's a superbly crafted game, but it's not just bigger and more elaborate, it is that x1000. It crosses the "to a fault" line and then shits on it.

The point when I stopped? Somewhere around the 6-7th world, when I had just unlocked my 37th new move, and trekked for 30 mins across the hub world to the new level. To be met with no Jiggies or way of advancement. I literally had no idea what to do.

Looking up a guide, I have to go back 3 levels, activate this weird switch that opens something else in another level, then go talk to this NPC in the hub, which activates a thing in another world, then walk 20 minutes back to the first area, so I can open the door. And then start the process for the next Jiggy.

I made all that up but it's not really an exaggeration. I discovered what I had to do next, and it was such a massive slog and burden of work across these ridiculously massive and sprawling levels I just stopped and walked away.

Mohasus

GFF was really hard for me when I first played the game. Mostly because I didn't speak english at the time, so mini-games were my favorite tiles. Sounds/places were fine too, but anything else was pretty much luck. It took me a while to finish the game thanks to it.

When I replayed the game on 360 it was a breeze. But fuck Gruntilda's questions, I think I skipped those because I'm not going to speak to her sister to learn more about her.

ramparter

Banned
Yea, I don't get it.
The strong aspects of each game are quite different. Its clear that people who prefer Banjo Kazooie are more into exploration/adventure than platforming. Also after so many years only the last days I realized something: I like Banjo Kazooie a lot and I also like open world games. Banjo Kazooie was kinda open world. Each world was an open world, you were thrown in a certain point but you could go anywhere, there was no direction, you would go around, collect things, observe stuff, learn new moves, no particular order.

DonMigs85

I think Tooie was a bit more humorous and had more innuendo. Some really impressive graphics and bosses as well, but the framerate often tanked on N64.

RedToad64

They're good. There is a glitch in the 360 version of the first game that makes it impossible to 100% if you do things in the wrong order though.

they patched this iirc
Actually, the Rare Replay version is missing the patch for some mysterious reason.

To anyone interested, the 360/Xbox One versions are fantastic. Stable frame rate, better controls, and crisp visuals are all intact.

Banjo-Tooie is basically a 3D platformer metroidvania. Expect a lot of backtracking, upgrades, plus a huge interconnected world.

daTRUballin

I think Tooie was a bit more humorous and had more innuendo. Some really impressive graphics and bosses as well, but the framerate often tanked on N64.

Haha yeah. I just recently watched a friend of mine play through the XBLA version of Tooie (it was his first time playing the game) and we turned on the N64 version of the game because I wanted to show him something, and we were amazed at how bad the framerate was in comparison lol. It was so jarring going from a nice and steady framerate with cleaner and crisp graphics to the slow and blurry N64 version haha.

Finally finished the game after a couple of tries against Gruntilda. Now that's what I'm talking about, a nice and challenging boss fight. The only annoying thing was getting hit by the fireballs in really inconvenient spots, such as when you're feeding the Jinjonator statue at certain angles and unable to see where Gruntilda is firing the fireballs, and when she fires them while you're in the air.

Other than that, what a freaking amazing game. The ending cutscenes do such a fantastic job hyping up Banjo Tooie while cranking up the humour and lack of seriousness. Too bad Stop N' Swop doesn't work, but I was told that the exclusive stuff in Banjo Tooie can still be accessed on N64.

Finally finished the game after a couple of tries against Gruntilda. Now that's what I'm talking about, a nice and challenging boss fight. The only annoying thing was getting hit by the fireballs in really inconvenient spots, such as when you're feeding the Jinjonator statue at certain angles and unable to see where Gruntilda is firing the fireballs, and when she fires them while you're in the air.

Other than that, what a freaking amazing game. The ending cutscenes do such a fantastic job hyping up Banjo Tooie while cranking up the humour and lack of seriousness. Too bad Stop N' Swop doesn't work, but I was told that the exclusive stuff in Banjo Tooie can still be accessed on N64.
In the XBLA versions of KAzooie and Tooie, they actually added the Stop and Swap back into the games so that they connect with Nuts and Bolts. All it does is unlock some pretty mediocre items for your vehicles, but it's still cool they had it.

There are hidden things in Kazooie that people can see but couldn't do anything with for years (ice key behind the walruses cave, the little island in the beach level, a door in the desert, etc.). But with the right code in the sand castle you could actually get into those areas and collect the key and some eggs, but they didn't do anything because of the scrapped Stop n' Swap functionality.
Kazooie is my favorite 3D platformer ever. Tooie I got bored of within a few hours. It's a superbly crafted game, but it's not just bigger and more elaborate, it is that x1000. It crosses the "to a fault" line and then shits on it.

The point when I stopped? Somewhere around the 6-7th world, when I had just unlocked my 37th new move, and trekked for 30 mins across the hub world to the new level. To be met with no Jiggies or way of advancement. I literally had no idea what to do.

Looking up a guide, I have to go back 3 levels, activate this weird switch that opens something else in another level, then go talk to this NPC in the hub, which activates a thing in another world, then walk 20 minutes back to the first area, so I can open the door. And then start the process for the next Jiggy.

I made all that up but it's not really an exaggeration. I discovered what I had to do next, and it was such a massive slog and burden of work across these ridiculously massive and sprawling levels I just stopped and walked away.
Pretty much my experience with Banjo Tooie as well.

My first time playing the game was when it came to XBLA and Banjo Kazooie was one of my favorite games of all time, so I was really excited to play it for the first time (never had an expansion pack for the N64).
I wanted to play the whole game without a guide, but I didn't last long before being forced to use one. My main complaints are the overly massive levels as well as the unreasonable amount of moves you collect throughout the game. There was a sick dinosaur quest that had so many steps to complete that I think I stopped playing once I read how to do it in a guide.

There were quests that required me to use a power that I had no memory of even having because it had such limited use and I forgot how to even perform it. And I got stuck for a while because there was a fence I didn't realize could be knocked down with a certain type of egg and there was no indication that it would work to my knowledge.

And not only are the moves themselves annoying, but collecting them is a chore too. I can't count the number of times I found a mole hill only for it to be a move for Banjo OR Kazooie, which meant I had to backtrack, find a splitting platform, and then remember the route back to the mole hill as the specific character.

I'm crossing my fingers that Yooka Laylee's levels are all Bajo Kazooie sized and not Tooie oversized. There are some good ideas in Tooie, like the interconnected aspects of the levels, that Yooka Laylee could build upon, but they just need to keep it tight and not make the game a chore.

Banjo-Tooie is basically a 3D platformer metroidvania. Expect a lot of backtracking, upgrades, plus a huge interconnected world.

Haha, you have a point there! Also Tooie is almost an open world game. Exploring is even more fun in this one than in Kazooie. It's ambitious...not perfect but overall a very charming and great experience! I prefer the soundtrack over Banjo Kazooie's as well.

OP, play them back to back if you can!...Btw, the quiz in BT is much much easier than BK's.

tumblr_mt6ryqhnKv1rezdhvo1_500.gif

Seriously, FUCK THAT SHARK. Gave me my first real heart attack in gaming.

Banjo is one of my all time favorite games, glad you're enjoying it. I know I had more fun with it as a kid than I did with Mario 64. Click Clock Woods is one of my favorite level designs, and I used to love going back and forth between the different seasons to see what small things had changed. I think Banjo was the first ever game guide I bought too, since I was legit stuck for weeks on the Haunted Mansion.

ramparter

Banned

+1000
For made up crap this post demonstrates very well what I didn't like about Tooie. Gotta say I didn't find it thaaaat bad but you should know that in N64 I stopped playing after facing Grunty with probably 10 jiggies left to be found and in XBLA I stooped around world 6 and I ve finished the original Banjo Kazooie more than 10 times. I also have to admit that DK64 > Tooie.

Xane

The remake of Banjo-Kazooie on the 360 is the sole reason I bought an XBox 360 in the first place.
I absolutely adore that game and re-play it almost every year. <3

Definitely my favorite 3D platformer to this date.

_Rob_

You know you can poop out an egg and kill Snacker, right?

Also whilst I'm here, I'll throw my hat in the "I love this game ring". Fantastic mix of everything I love about games from tight controls to interesting cohesive level design, humour and characters. Not the mention it's the main reason I started game development!

+1000
For made up crap this post demonstrates very well what I didn't like about Tooie. Gotta say I didn't find it thaaaat bad but you should know that in N64 I stopped playing after facing Grunty with probably 10 jiggies left to be found and in XBLA I stooped around world 6 and I ve finished the original Banjo Kazooie more than 10 times. I also have to admit that DK64 > Tooie.

Wow. Those are some different opinions. I mean I really like DK64 (there are not many people who do :D) but still I have to admit Banjo Tooie wipes the floor with it. I think BT realized to its full potential what I liked about BK.

Just spreading some love. Look at all the characters. It's so full of quirky scenes and surprises!

ednt9KF.jpg

In the XBLA versions of KAzooie and Tooie, they actually added the Stop and Swap back into the games so that they connect with Nuts and Bolts. All it does is unlock some pretty mediocre items for your vehicles, but it's still cool they had it.

There are hidden things in Kazooie that people can see but couldn't do anything with for years (ice key behind the walruses cave, the little island in the beach level, a door in the desert, etc.). But with the right code in the sand castle you could actually get into those areas and collect the key and some eggs, but they didn't do anything because of the scrapped Stop n' Swap functionality.

Must've been pretty annoying for those who weren't big fans of Nuts and Bolts. Though it's nice that you can still get some of the neat bonuses in N64's Tooie.

Kinsei

Banned
Must've been pretty annoying for those who weren't big fans of Nuts and Bolts. Though it's nice that you can still get some of the neat bonuses in N64's Tooie.

It was. They actually locked some of the stuff from the N64 version of Tooie away and forced you to buy Nuts & Bolts to get it.

It was. They actually locked some of the stuff from the N64 version of Tooie away and forced you to buy Nuts & Bolts to get it.

What the hell. I might have dodged a bullet then. I was originally planning to get an Xbox One with Rare Replay justifying the purchase, but I couldn't justify the cost of the system and the game when I still have a working N64. For me personally, Nuts and Bolts doesn't appeal to me with its boring overworld and car gameplay (which seemed off to me in a series that's about exploration and platforming).

Stopdoor

Does anyone remember how Tooie XBLA has Stop 'n' Swap II? I forget if it connected to Nuts & Bolts or not, but kind of a weird curiosity if it exists without ever being fulfilled like the original.

Kinsei

Banned
Does anyone remember how Tooie XBLA has Stop 'n' Swap II? I forget if it connected to Nuts & Bolts or not, but kind of a weird curiosity if it exists without ever being fulfilled like the original.

It connected with the Nuts & Bolts DLC.

Stopdoor

It connected with the Nuts & Bolts DLC.

I'm reading that SnS1 unlocked vehicle parts from BK to N&B, and when you actually did the original Swop to Banjo-Tooie, it now also unlocked vehicle blueprints for N&B if you had the DLC.

But SnS2 was a separate thing from that entirely, with new coloured eggs replacing the original BK eggs you re-collected in Tooie, and a few extra challenges. It doesn't seem like they actually did anything in N&B since both of those rewards were covered by SnS1.

I think I've got that correct, it sounds familiar. So Rare actually implemented another ill-conceived "Swopping" mechanism that won't be fully satisfied, haha.

Kinsei

Banned
I'm reading that SnS1 unlocked vehicle parts from BK to N&B, and when you actually did the original Swop to Banjo-Tooie, it now also unlocked vehicle blueprints for N&B if you had the DLC.

But SnS2 was a separate thing from that entirely, with new coloured eggs replacing the original BK eggs you re-collected in Tooie, and a few extra challenges. It doesn't seem like they actually did anything in N&B since both of those rewards were covered by SnS1.

I think I've got that correct, it sounds familiar. So Rare actually implemented another ill-conceived "Swopping" mechanism that won't be fully satisfied, haha.

The Stop 'n' Swop II eggs unlocked vehicle parts in the LOG's Lost Challenges DLC in Nuts & Bolts (according to the wiki anyway).

Top Bottom