• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Assassins Creed Valhalla 2020 (PS4)

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Assassins Creed Valhalla 2020
Assassins-Creed-Valhalla-All-Info-Characters-Playable-Release-Date-Price-Editions-Story-Trailer.jpg

Assassins Creed Valhalla continues the historical theme from Assassins Creed Origins (2017, and my game of the year) and this is again taking the franchise away from the original concept of the AC franchise and in my opinion this makes it fresh and actually takes the franchise further.

ac-valhalla-the-alliance-map-quest-walkthrough.jpg

The first 15 hours of Valhalla are seriously terrible, really leans on exploring and again the game comes down to powering up your character, making it possible to beat bosses and sort of emerge as a champion, by 20-30 hours in you can lean on your abilities.

ADCB2082-0464-4803-80-FA-EE2-B152-A043-D.jpg

Anywhere between 79-100 is considered successful.

The raiding design is an all time achievement. It’s about traveling to distant lands, collecting loot, finding keys to open doors and basically going through environments where you get to use traditional combat to advance.

I like how they get other characters involve (Sigurd in the Raven clan, and early on, and also Ragnar’s children in England.) and it can draw comparisons to cooperative gameplay in another game especially during raids.

SpitefulRealisticBaboon-size_restricted.gif

You're going to get wiped out of playtime with this game just like Assassins Creed Odyssey (2018), I don't know people's schedules enough but I'm not sure 1 hour to 2 hour game times fit this game, you're gonna want to put some heat on this game, and that takes 4 to 8 hours out of you. The game tries to take the focus out of you, overwhelm you and that can happen to you, it's a HUGE bombshell, distraction of a game, you're trying to get minerals for your clan, every location is a distraction riddled with supplies, loot etc. and by mounting side quests that you love and feel for and this is ok because the more you invest in the game, the more the game becomes ok and at worst you’re overwhelmed, which isn’t an insult.

Ubisoft is in position to continue these historical games but unfortunately need to shave off the fat if they hope to retain some fans, at 60-70 hours in the game I ask if Ubisoft is willing to cut back the game to 20-35 hours. You’re still gonna get side quests just on a different timeline not spread out into the main story. You have options in 2022, 2023 if you’re Ubisoft.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Assassins-Creed-Valhalla-All-Info-Characters-Playable-Release-Date-Price-Editions-Story-Trailer.jpg

Assassins Creed Valhalla continues the historical theme from Assassins Creed Origins (2017, and my game of the year) and this is again taking the franchise away from the original concept of the AC franchise and in my opinion this makes it fresh and actually takes the franchise further.

The first 15 hours of Valhalla are seriously terrible, really leans on exploring and again the game comes down to powering up your character, making it possible to beat bosses and sort of emerge as a champion, by 20-30 hours in you can lean on your abilities.

The raiding design is an all time achievement. It’s about traveling to distant lands, collecting loot, finding keys to open doors and basically going through environments where you get to use traditional combat to advance.

I like how they get other characters involve (Sigurd in the Raven clan, and early on, and also Ragnar’s children in England.) and it can draw comparisons to cooperative gameplay in another game especially during raids.

You're going to get wiped out of playtime with this game just like Assassins Creed Odyssey (2018), I don't know people's schedules enough but I'm not sure 1 hour to 2 hour game times fit this game, you're gonna want to put some heat on this game, and that takes 4 to 8 hours out of you. The game tries to take the focus out of you, overwhelm you and that can happen to you, it's a HUGE bombshell, distraction of a game, you're trying to get minerals for your clan, every location is a distraction riddled with supplies, loot etc. and by mounting side quests that you love and feel for and this is ok because the more you invest in the game, the more the game becomes ok and at worst you’re overwhelmed, which isn’t an insult.

Ubisoft is in position to continue these historical games but unfortunately need to shave off the fat if they hope to retain some fans, at 60-70 hours in the game I ask if Ubisoft is willing to cut back the game to 20-35 hours. You’re still gonna get side quests just on a different timeline not spread out into the main story. You have options in 2022, 2023 if you’re Ubisoft.

I'm playing this now on PS5. It's not great...

Anyone else noticed the playtime counter is broken? I hate when games keep increasing the counter when the game is paused or on the console home screen, but this one seems to run it up even if you quit to the main menu.

If I want an accurate game count, I have to close and reload the entire game every time I take a break.

Last edited:

Certinty

Think you’ve summed it up great.

These new RPG Assassins’s Creed games are quantity over quality and it’s a huge shame.

I can’t believe by now Ubisoft haven’t realised by now that cutting out 75% of these games and improving the quality heavily on the 25% they keep would make a game miles better than what we actually get.

It’s a huge shame anyway, I somehow completed Origins and Odyssey despite being overly repetitive with all the grinding needed but with Valhalla I couldn’t even get past the half way mark before I gave up and sold it.

D.Final

Banned

It's more about the place rather than anything else, in the end

Roufianos

Think you’ve summed it up great.

These new RPG Assassins’s Creed games are quantity over quality and it’s a huge shame.

Spot on. Absolute fucking idiots. What's the point of giving us a 100 hour game when the combat is shovelware quality.

Did they never stop to think instead of giving us yet another forgettable region to explore they could have just spent those resources actually making the game fun to play?

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
Spot on. Absolute fucking idiots. What's the point of giving us a 100 hour game when the combat is shovelware quality.

Did they never stop to think instead of giving us yet another forgettable region to explore they could have just spent those resources actually making the game fun to play?
Maybe..
Just good

nemiroff

Gold Member
Definitely checking this one out on PS5 soon, missed out on AC since completing AC3 in 2012.

Yeah, me too (played a tiny bit of Odyssey tho, was pretty good). I got burnt out years ago, used to fall asleep looking at all the icons on the HUD. I wonder if that's why I enjoyed Valhalla so much, slightly different formula, good graphics, several biomes, and can turn off most of the HUD crap.. Don't get the length argument, just play through the story, it doesn't take 100 hours.

Last edited:

martino

it's not an action game....
Here there is unique content , choice , exploration than has uniqueness and make the world less video gamey where you can leave a mark

Last edited:

Roufianos

it's not an action game....
Here there is unique content , choice , exploration than has uniqueness and make the world less video gamey where you can leave a mark
Doesn't matter if it's not an action game. You spend large chunk of the game in combat.

There's no excuse for a game with a budget this high to have such weightless and janky combat, even by open world standards.

Last edited:

sunnysideup

Banned
Does this have the lame overarching storyline and lame scifi theme?

Or is it a self contained viking game with assassins creed gameplay?

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Does this have the lame overarching storyline and lame scifi theme?

Or is it a self contained viking game with assassins creed gameplay?
AC hasn‘t had a real overarching story AC3. I haven’t played Valhalla yet but I really doubt Ubi started with this again here. Were prolly to busy figuring out how to make it the most profitable GaS.

highrider

Banned
I’ve got about 15 hours in. I’m really enjoying it except the combat it’s pretty awful. I’m hoping as the character gets stronger it gets better but it’s borderline game breaking for me. For this type of game they need to radically simplify combat, something like the Shadow of Mordor combat would be more suitable. I’ve always been ok with AC jank in combat but this is a step down in a game where there’s a heavy emphasis on combat.

GymWolf

I always find funny when people consider the new ac quantity over quality...

Like, do you forget the absolute trashy combat or the tail missions or all the shits they put in older ac games to make the games bigger?! it was never a quality over quantity series, NEVER.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

I like the game, but I have lost 10 hours to a save glitch at multiple times. Save and quit, I will come back and progress is rolled back. I had to get the Excalibur tablets twice. This save glitch is infuriating.

I also wish is Excalibur was a stronger sword. It’s Excalibur make it broken levels of power.

Top Bottom