• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Amnesia Collection (2014) PS4

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Boy what a blast lot of complex yet simple parts to this game. Amnesia hardcore fans please take a step back with this LTTP.

Dark decent is better than machine for pigs.
Starting out in the castle and almost dying at every corner is way better than the more recent machine world that plays more fast paced is good but it’s not better than the original. Dark decent is survival on full display where getting things like tinder boxes is huge, the game is set up to scare you and is classic horror.

9-E5-C672-B-4888-44-B6-8-BF1-ED5-F9-D9-BD9-F5.jpg

This game gives value to the horror genre. Resident Evil games (not 7) are viewed as action games now that’s kinda where they are now, well this game is like nah. There’s a reason why Amnesia has a cult following.

Amnesia is about collecting notes, finding keys to open doors and basically going through corridors (wine cellar, refinery etc.), where you get to traditionally solve puzzles to advance.

092414.jpg

I like how Alexander of Brennenburg gives you a anxiety trip and a rush to get the game done. Gathers (zombies) stop you in your track and feels like a real horror character. To me they carry a certain horror charm not many games manage to do properly.

The main mission in Amnesia is collecting orbs to basically escape. You don’t really have any quests and the game is 110% linear and I love it. Like other horror games you need to bottle health, restore machinery and very basic tasks that you’ll do over and over a

D7318-C99-5033-4630-8-A98-B35-ED7115-D62.png

Amnesia is a horror powerhouse and I give it a 9/10.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Have you played Clive Barker’s Undying? How would you score that? I’m curious because I’ve started Amnesia a couple times over the years and I always end up uninstalling it. I’m a big survival horror fan too. Dating back to the PS1 days.

Skifi28

I already had the games on PC but I found them on a really cheap sale and double dipped for the platinum. It was great experiencing them again after several years. The two games are very different but I think they're both great in their own way and have aged rather well. I didn't really care for Justine though.

Astral Dog

Amnesia is an awesome game! more impressive that it was made with a very low budget the sequels lose some of its charm..(Machine for Pigs is interesting though 🐷)

Anything Frictional makes gets my attention they clearly have a lot of love for classic horror.

Last edited:

peronmls

First one was nice.
Second had a nice atmosphere but was boring.
Third was garbage.
These horror games are a hit or miss for most.

I highly enjoyed their Penumbra games along with SOMA having great writing and atmosphere.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Have you played Clive Barker’s Undying? How would you score that? I’m curious because I’ve started Amnesia a couple times over the years and I always end up uninstalling it. I’m a big survival horror fan too. Dating back to the PS1 days.

Have you tried this?

I never played it all but seems kinda in the same ballpark as Undying. The powers remind me of Bioshock quite a bit, there is a blood boil power later on that looks great.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
First Amnesia is an incredibly good game, I think it's the best horror game Frictional Games has ever produced. SOMA was also very good, but not as a horror game. I was fascinated by the storyline and definitely kept on playing wanting to find out what would happen next, but the scary encounters were the weakest part and I actually wouldn't mind replaying the game in the "safe mode" (or whatever it's called) to avoid having to bother with them again.
I haven't tried Rebirth yet and since the game is getting mixed reviews I'll be waiting for the price to get a bigger drop.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Have you tried this?

I never played it all but seems kinda in the same ballpark as Undying. The powers remind me of Bioshock quite a bit, there is a blood boil power later on that looks great.

I forgot I owned this on GOG. The atmosphere and the themes were the reasons I purchased it. If I remember correctly I had issues running it. I’ll have to give it another shot.

Kuranghi

I forgot I owned this on GOG. The atmosphere and the themes were the reasons I purchased it. If I remember correctly I had issues running it. I’ll have to give it another shot.

I was gonna say the guns part of it is just par for the time it came out, you could mod it and make it so you can just use the powers probably for more fun and to get that atmosphere.

What an opening! Reminds me of OG Prey in a way.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I was gonna say the guns part of it is just par for the time it came out, you could mod it and make it so you can just use the powers probably for more fun and to get that atmosphere.

What an opening! Reminds me of OG Prey in a way.
I played the first 10 minutes. The stuff on the walls is pretty creepy. The powers you use are interesting. The little bipedal monsters with no arms are the only enemies I’ve seen so far.

Top Bottom