• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Low audio volume on PS5

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I noticed when playing R&C that my PS5 outputs really low volume audio. Compared to when watching TV I have to turn the volume up significantly more on my receiver to get the same experienced volume. It's a bit of an issue because when I then turn the PS5 off whether TV channel I'm switched to will be way too loud.

Anyone else noticed this issue or know if it can be fixed? I don't believe you can change the HDMI audio volume, only the headphone audio?

(I didn't actually check if R&C defaults to lower than max master volume, but that would be weird.)

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Are you doing any sort of screen sharing/party chat? The game audio can be minimized and party chat audio maximized depending on your controller settings.

Nope, just playing the game. It's not like it's VERY quiet, just a lot quieter than a regular TV channel. Like, instead of having the volume at 20 I have to go to 30-35.

And this is not when going through the controller. That audio is also rather low when using decent headphones, but that's expected.

Last edited:

Billbofet

I don't have a PS5 yet, but I have a very similar issue to what you have with my PS4. I have my XSS, PS4, Shield TV Pro, and Switch all on the same receiver and the volume on my PS4 is way lower. It does help a bit that I switched it to bitstream DTS (vs. linear PCM) and then have my receiver do faux DTS: X.

gt86

I noticed when playing R&C that my PS5 outputs really low volume audio. Compared to when watching TV I have to turn the volume up significantly more on my receiver to get the same experienced volume. It's a bit of an issue because when I then turn the PS5 off whether TV channel I'm switched to will be way too loud.

Anyone else noticed this issue or know if it can be fixed? I don't believe you can change the HDMI audio volume, only the headphone audio?

(I didn't actually check if R&C defaults to lower than max master volume, but that would be weird.)
I don't have that issue, it is the first game that will shutdown my ps5 and has graphical glitches sometimes.

PSYGN

My headset does this on the PS5. It's connected to a USB hub switcher that's connected to all my consoles and PC. I have to replug it in for it to get normal volume again.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Maybe it depends on what audio format you're using then. Will try DTS vs LPCM and see if there's any difference.

My receiver is getting the audio from my TV through HDMI ARC, maybe that's also a factor.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I had exactly the same problem, switching to bitstream audio fixed it.

EDIT: sorry I mean change FROM BITSTREAM to PCM

Last edited:

Inviusx

What output method is set on your PS5? PCM, dolby or dts?

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Yes, but audio is already fine for Pulse 3D. I usually have to lower the volume one bar, but yes R&C some how has lower volume or too wide audio range. It's not low, but it's lower than most games.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Yes, but audio is already fine for Pulse 3D. I usually have to lower the volume one bar, but yes R&C some how has lower volume or too wide audio range. It's not low, but it's lower than most games.

See when you plug the Pulse 3D into the Dualsense do you get a lot of bass? I have 1000XM3s and when I connected them into the controller physically I felt like there was hardly any bass response, but if I connected them via BT to my ZF9 soundbar then its way better, but I can't get the 3D audio that way.

Or does the Pulse 3D do the 3D audio wirelessly?

Banned
different games have different audio levels, this can be a side effect of compressed audio making it more quiet than other games, or it could simply be a settings thing behind the scenes.

an example for the opposite that I can think of is Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown on 360, that game is extremely loud so I always have to turn down the volume on my TV or the menu sounds and intro animation will blow out my eardrums

like imagine this playing at like 50% higher volume than you'd feel comfortable with lol

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
See when you plug the Pulse 3D into the Dualsense do you get a lot of bass? I have 1000XM3s and when I connected them into the controller physically I felt like there was hardly any bass response, but if I connected them via BT to my ZF9 soundbar then its way better, but I can't get the 3D audio that way.

Or does the Pulse 3D do the 3D audio wirelessly?

It does 3D audio wirelessly with the 2.4GHz dongle, but even when connected to the controller the bass remains relatively the same. I use it wirelessly of course until my session goes beyond 12 hours and the battery dies.

MistBreeze

I instantly realized ps5 has low volume audio connected to my tv sony x900e compared to my ps4 pro

I need to raise the volume 25 plus to be acceptable

I do not know why really

bitbydeath

If it’s just that one game doing it then I would suspect the issue is with that particular games audio settings, did you end up checking those?

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck

I've noticed with a few PS5 games the volume is lower but the audio quality itself is much higher. I'm specifically thinking of ratchet and clank, Returnal and demons souls. In each case the audio setting was on the home theater setting. This is using a receiver and speaker setup instead of tv speakers though.

LOLCats

Banned
are using audio passthrough the TV to a reciever? i had a low sound issue with FF remake, had to modify tv settings for the passthrough to PCM...

Last edited:
If you are just outputting to the tv speakers you should use the simple LPCM. Could it also be something with the game options being lower than normal? Some games default to less than 100% audio output.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I instantly realized ps5 has low volume audio connected to my tv sony x900e compared to my ps4 pro

I need to raise the volume 25 plus to be acceptable

I do not know why really

We have almost the same TV hmm (I have an X930E), interesting.

Last edited:
PSA: In order to fix this sort of audio issues, you need to mail Cerny a photo of your ears, inside and out.

Hit like if this helps solve the problem, thanks :messenger_sunglasses:

Cyberwoo

Neo Member
I have the same issue. PS5 is connected to TV via HDMI, then Panasonic's TV optical out to my NAD C368 amplifier. I have to turn it up a good five notches to get the same volume as my Switch or Sky TV box. The PS5 is set to PCM as my NAD C368 doesn't decode DTS. But as the Switch and Sky Tv box are set to PCM and are louder that's not the issue.

reektann

I noticed this right away with Ratchet. I'm using PS5 > HDMI > AMP > TV as I always do. It specifically seems to be Ratchet though with quite a low audio mix. I had to notch it up about 30% higher than i always have it for it to sound correct.

Melchiah

I've noticed the same. I usually keep the TV volume at 7-8 on PS4, whereas on PS5 it has to be at 13-15 to sound the same.

Have you tried turning off 3D Audio? it only works when using headphones plugged into the pad anyway, it should make the audio louder over the Stereo output.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Wide audio range does this for you, especially when you receiver/TV supports it.

I guess people like the LOUDNESS, which is why mastering everything today starts and ends with Limiter and Compressor.

But I do understand that not everybody wants more natural mixing.

Justin9mm

Yes noticed specifically on Rachet and Clank also, it needs to go up in volume a few more notches compared to other games and sources like TV. I've noticed specifically with PS5 with some other games also, RE Village was another one.

This is on my 5.1 surround sound set-up.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yes noticed specifically on Rachet and Clank also, it needs to go up in volume a few more notches compared to other games and sources like TV. I've noticed specifically with PS5 with some other games also, RE Village was another one.

This is on my 5.1 surround sound set-up.

I noticed this right away with Ratchet. I'm using PS5 > HDMI > AMP > TV as I always do. It specifically seems to be Ratchet though with quite a low audio mix. I had to notch it up about 30% higher than i always have it for it to sound correct.

Alright, it's probably just this game then. Maybe I should have checked some other games before making this thread, but laziness is one helluva drug! Lol.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

Nope. It's all games I've played on PS5, including Demon's Souls, Astro's Playroom, Control, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, and Remnant: from the Ashes.
It's probably to do with the mixing of the Tempest 3D audio.. I don't think it's as good as Sony says it is.. Even when I don't use my 5.1 surround and use my Pulse 3D headset the audio volume is too low with the 3D audio enabled.

Top Bottom