• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Love, Death + Robots

.Pennywise

Banned
I just finished watching the last season of Love, Death + Robots on Netflix (I highly recommend you to watch this series) and...

Our gaming graphics are still shit compared to pre-rendered.
Our games writing is abysmally far from other media.
I would want a ton of these stories to be an actual videogame.

But my biggest conclusion I could take out of this, also as a question:

Is it possible to have the 'Love, Death + Robots' treatment in the gaming medium?
AAA production values but with a self-contained short experience that doesn't get stretched out to the dozens (or even hundreds) of hours?

Closer I could think of this is Journey or Inside (and that's a stretch).

Would you like something like this? Do you think is it doable in games?

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
"You can't make money from games that look that good and have a story that can be compared to those." - Gaming Execs. Probably.

ParaSeoul

I need to watch this but the idea of going through shorts i might not like to see the good ones is kinda making me procrastinate on it

I just finished watching the last season of Love, Death + Robots on Netflix (I highly recommend you to watch this series) and...

Our gaming graphics are still shit compared to pre-rendered.
Our games writing is abysmally far from other media.
I would want a ton of these stories to be an actual videogame.

But my biggest conclusion I could take out of this, also as a question:

Is it possible to have the 'Love, Death + Robots' treatment in the gaming medium?
AAA production values but with a self-contained short experience that doesn't get stretched out to the dozens (or even hundreds) of hours?

Closer I could think of this is Journey or Inside (and that's a stretch).

Would you like something like this? Do you think is it doable in games?
Inside is like that. A 2-3 hours game (if you playing slow) with as good of quality as any. Theres alot of hiiiiigh quality A-AA games that exist. It's a bit harder to find but is getting easier. I don't think most studios would put their big budgets into short experiences like that which is sad cause I prefer them over the Modern AAA bloat. But Hellblade, Journey, Plauges tale, Inside and Limbo, Hades, Disco Elysium, binding of issac. some shorter games with quality of any AAA game to me.

LordOfChaos

The Jibaro one ranged from looking like Oblivion with an LSD filter to really good in other scenes lol, very game-ey looking

The ship one and some others were obviously above what realtime game graphics can do yet. But I don't agree that games writing is abysmal, some of my favorite stories come from games.

Kusarigama

Comparison is rather unfair. Sure pre-rendered have better graphics than games but then there's absolutely zero gameplay. Writing is debatable though

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
That series is so unique, weird, intimidating. Not sure how it'll work for gaming? It would be too expensive for episodic, totally different art style for each episode/level.

Luck

CGI in "Beyond the Aquila Rift" episode (S01E07) was superb, especially characters animation. I think we are still a years behind since that will be possible in real time (maybe even PlayStation 7 generation?):

Pelta88

Fun fact. Some of the studios that submit their animations for LDR also have a side hustle of creating game trailers.

We as a community mistakenly call them "CGI Trailers" in reality those trailers are animations created by these very same studios.

Top Bottom