• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LOTR Prequel Anime Film "The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim" in Development at New Line & Warner Animation

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
The Lord of the Rings will return to theaters with an anime prequel film titled The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim, directed by Kenji Kamiyama (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex & sequels), with Philippa Boyens (writer on all of Peter Jackson's Middle-earth films) consulting. Jeffrey Addiss and Will Matthews (The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance) are writing. Animation will be done by Sola Entertainment.

Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh, who collaborated on New Line's LOTR and Hobbit trilogies, are not currently involved.

The story will be set 250 years before the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and follows the adventures of Helm Hammerhand, a legendary king of Rohan for whom Helms Deep is named.

Per Deadline:
The War of the Rohirrim focuses on a character from the book’s appendix, the mighty King of Rohan, Helm Hammerhand, and a legendary battle which helped shaped Middle-earth heading into LOTR. The anime pic will expand the untold story behind the fortress of Helm’s Deep, delving into the life and bloodsoaked times of Hammerhand. Overall, the movie is a companion piece to New Line’s LOTR trilogy and is set roughly 250 years before that movie during the third age (Note Amazon’s upcoming Lord of the Rings mini-series is set during the second age).
“This will be yet another epic portrayal of J.R.R. Tolkien’s world that has never been told before. We’re honored to partner with much of the incredible talent behind both film trilogies, along with new creative luminaries to tell this story,” said Sam Register, President of Warner Bros. Animation. “And so it begins.”

Armorian

Banned
2vA.gif

Same goes for that Gollum game...

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
The stuff about Helm in The apendices was cool. But I would have rather had a story about the friendship of Eorl and Cirion

Fbh

At least it's a sequel.

Because with the power of friendship between Frodo and Sam the plot from the book would be like 10 minutes long as they both just walk into Mordor and detroy everything as they scream "NAKAMAAAA" with tears in their eyes.

Pagusas

Elden Member
2vA.gif

Same goes for that Gollum game...

I'm convinced the Gollum game is a money laundering scheme. No publisher or studio head would look at that proposal and see anything but a huge fiscal loss on their hands. It has to be some Uwe Boll style tax scheme/laundering.

The Hobbit already got rebooted though. They turned it from a simple children's bedtime story into an epic trilogy.

I know a lot of people bag on that trilogy (it really should not have been a trilogy, just a LOTR-length film), but at least it was done with standards and handled by the guy who did the LOTR trilogy.

To me it's like the Dark Knight Trilogy... you can't really top it. You have to go in a totally different direction or just rehash shit (see: Andrew Garfield Spider-Man).

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
A new fantasy film, regardless if it's based on Middle-earth or not, needs to reflect our modern world and appeal to a global audience, so adapting an original (ish) story could be a godsend in that regard.

Certainly looking forward to seeing more. The story outline sounds epic AF.

Top Bottom