• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Judgment Honors Sega's Past With Eight Master System Classics

Bullet Club

Lost Judgment Honors Sega's Past With Eight Master System Classics​

2NY5rL3.jpg

Lost Judgment is the follow-up to the very well-received Judgment, which looks to continue a tradition by the developer of including classic Sega games within the title.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio has been one of the most well respected in the industry in recent years with the Yakuza series and the spin-off Judgment, which has people always excited for what’s next from the developer.

One of the coolest elements of these games has been the usage of retro Sega games in some fashion and now we know that Lost Judgment will be honoring the Sega Master System this time around.

b4vOioR.jpg

Lost Judgment Sega Master System Games​

Being set in Japan, the Yakuza series and Judgment took advantage of the popularity of arcades in the country as a method to introduce classic games into the mix.

In those games, you would have to search the cities in the games to find specific arcade locations that housed the arcade machines for you to play classic games like Space Harrier and Out Run. That will still be a part of Lost Judgment, where you can play games like Sonic The Fighters, but the Sega Master System games are going to be elsewhere.

The Sega Master System games will be found connected to a CRT television in the game, which will have the following eight games playable as revealed on the Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio Twitter.

• Alex Kidd in Miracle World
  • Fantasy Zone
  • Penguin Land
  • Quartet
  • Enduro Racer
  • Woody Pop
  • Maze Hunter 3-D
  • Secret Command
This is a solid lineup of 8-bit games for players to play from the Sega Master System, which is one system many gamers have likely never experienced before. The Sega Genesis is what put really pushed Sega onto the scene as competition to the SNES, while the Sega Master System was much more niche compared to the NES in the years before that.

It is a bit surprising that there were no Sonic games from the Master System included, such as just Sonic The Hedgehog or spin-offs like Sonic Chaos. These are some of the least released of the Sonic games over the years, so perhaps they would rather have more known versions like the Genesis ones out there instead.

Lost Judgement will release for PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, and PC on September 21. While the original did not release for Xbox One, the remastered version did come to Xbox Series X/S, so it’s no surprise to see this one be launching on Xbox platforms alongside PlayStation and PC.

Source: Dualshockers

nowhat

I should probably hurry up and finish the first one.
Do it! I think the plot goes bit too crazy towards the end (sometimes less is more) and the tailing missions suck, but otherwise it's a great game.

And of course you must date all the waifus. Sure, a dick move if it were life, but it isn't so go to town.

Soodanim

Cool. I've recently been playing Yakuza 0, and noticed one of the characters had a Megadrive. I always thought that was a wasted opportunity, to have the console but no games.

I'm disappointed that they left out this gem though:

iu

I think it's aged much better than Miracle World and deserves some love.
One of my first ever games. Brilliant music, fun gameplay, better looking than Miracle World.

Miracle World always ends up on every list and compilation, but it never clicked with me. Shinobi World is the connoisseur’s choice.

Little Chicken

Gold Member
Cool. I've recently been playing Yakuza 0, and noticed one of the characters had a Megadrive. I always thought that was a wasted opportunity, to have the console but no games.

I'm disappointed that they left out this gem though:

iu

I think it's aged much better than Miracle World and deserves some love.
It's also the best Alex Kidd game imo

The OST slapped too

Kazza

One of my first ever games. Brilliant music, fun gameplay, better looking than Miracle World.

Miracle World always ends up on every list and compilation, but it never clicked with me. Shinobi World is the connoisseur’s choice.

The only real criticism I have of it is that it was a little too short (only 5 levels, IIRC). The Master System Shinobi is another obvious ommision.

It's still a cool feature though. I really think Sega should just release a Master System/Game Gear compilation. It would be easy for them to do, and would make them some decent money. Maybe they want to go the mini console route instead.

Goalus

The only real criticism I have of it is that it was a little too short (only 5 levels, IIRC). The Master System Shinobi is another obvious ommision.

It's still a cool feature though. I really think Sega should just release a Master System/Game Gear compilation. It would be easy for them to do, and would make them some decent money.
They absolutely should, but only if they include the system's gorgeous RPG library like Golvellius, Lord of the Sword, Phantasy Star, Miracle Warriors, Golden Axe Warrior, Y's, Ultima 4.

nowhat

That (and other Ultimas) is/was a property of Origin Systems, so now owned by EA - Sega cannot make it happen. And judging by how active EA has been with the franchise, they're not going to re-release it either.

Goalus

That (and other Ultimas) is/was a property of Origin Systems, so now owned by EA - Sega cannot make it happen. And judging by how active EA has been with the franchise, they're not going to re-release it either.
I know, that's why I named it last.
I have fond memories of the game as the SMS version of Ultima 4 was my introduction to the series and my first taste of western RPGs. Coming from an exclusively Japanese RPG background, Ultima 4 felt like virtual reality at that time.

Kokoloko85

Why doesnt Sega carry on releasing those Sega classics like they said they would?
They released a few games and then stopped. They have so many Master System, Megadrive, Saturn and Dreamcast games they can port over on a store or do a virtual console like service.

Aenima

I still have my Master System 2 with that Alex Kid bundled somewhere in my grandparents house. I wonder if i can still beat the game without losing any lives like i did about 20 years ago. Great game.

nush

Gold Member
b4vOioR.jpg

This one looks like an odd choice as I doubt there will be any 3D support. I guess it's included as M2 already made a version of this for the Sega 3D classics on 3DS, except you could only play it if you brought the compilation cart. Which for me meant a hell of a lot of double dipping as I'd brought most of the games from the e-shop already.

Master System is a great console, just had bad support in the Nintendo dominated US. Euro gamers had a completely different experience.

Fake

Hope they don't make the same mistake as the dev behind the awful Alex Kidd DX. PAL 50hz is kinda absurd.

SkylineRKR

Alex Kidd is an awful game. I never enjoyed it one bit. Both Miracle World and that shitty 16-bit game. Shinobi world is better.

Jaxcellent

Why doesnt Sega carry on releasing those Sega classics like they said they would?
They released a few games and then stopped. They have so many Master System, Megadrive, Saturn and Dreamcast games they can port over on a store or do a virtual console like service.
And it would be cool if they would be accessible through the club Sega arcade in- game, would be cool if you buy a arcade game in the playstation store it is automatically added inc the right cabinet to the in-game arcade.

Rayderism

That's pretty cool that the SMS games are in addition to the arcade games, and not instead of having arcade games. Really refreshing how these Yakuza-style games still pack tons of content into the base release.

One concern I'm having right now though....I pre-ordered the ultra deluxe (most expensive version, whatever they call it), and it's not showing in my library. PSN says it's pre-ordered, but why isn't it showing in my PS4's library?

Kazza

Also, has to be mentioned….. no OG Phantasy star?

I think it takes too long to play (it may even take longer than a barebones playthrough of the main story of Judgment 2). I'm guessing these MS games are just meant as a quick distraction. Would've been cool to have it though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom