• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lori Loughlin to plead guilty in college admissions scandal

JORMBO

Darkness no more

Actress Lori Loughlin, who maintained her innocence for 16 months, will plead guilty to fraud in the college admissions scandal, according to a plea agreement filed in federal court.

Loughlin was arrested in March 2019 and charged with conspiring with William “Rick” Singer, a Newport Beach consultant at the heart of the admissions scandal, to pass off her two daughters, Olivia Jade Giannulli and Isabella Rose Giannulli, as promising rowing recruits, all but guaranteeing their admission to USC.
Loughlin and her husband, Mossimo Giannulli, paid Singer $500,000 in all, prosecutors charged. Giannulli has agreed to plead guilty as well, court documents show.

For 16 months, the couple had insisted Singer misled them into believing the money was destined for legitimate university purposes, not bribes to corrupt school employees. Earlier this month, a judge batted down their request to have the charges dismissed for outrageous government misconduct.

Last edited:

Amory

Interesting timing. With the COVID concerns I wonder if there was a wink from the prosecution that the 'prison time' would end up as house arrest + a large fine

chitzy

Banned
Shouldn't the daughter face charges too? There's no way she didn't know about this, she had to participate in the fake photoshoot.

iconmaster

Banned
I’m willing to bet she found out she was going to get serious jail time. This prevents that from happening.

Sure. The prosecutors said that outright:

In an interview in October on WCVB, an ABC affiliate in Boston, Andrew E. Lelling, the United States attorney for the District of Massachusetts, warned that his office would ask for a longer sentence if Ms. Loughlin went to trial and were convicted than if she pleaded guilty.

“If she’s convicted, I don’t think I’m giving her any state secrets by saying we would probably ask for a higher sentence for her than we did for Felicity Huffman,” Mr. Lelling said.

Grinchy

Banned
Imagine spending an extra $500K to get your kids into some ivy league school (on top of the already inflated tuition costs) just so they can go and learn some gender studies bullshit that was made up on the spot and passed off as "scientific research."

HarryKS

Imagine spending an extra $500K to get your kids into some ivy league school (on top of the already inflated tuition costs) just so they can go and learn some gender studies bullshit that was made up on the spot and passed off as "scientific research."

It doesn't really matter what they pick if they still get into an Ivy League institution. The brand name carries all the weight.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member

Its not about anything but the degree and school name.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Whoa. It really seemed like she meant to fight this all the way.

Crumpling like Danny's fashion choices under Kimmy Gibbler's withering eye.

If I was Jesse I would have waited all day in the car for Gibbler to walk up the driveway and "accidentally" backed over her.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters

Say what you will about gender studies, quite a bit of anthropological work goes into the field. It's hardly made up on the spot

Top Bottom