• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lord of The Rings Gollum New Gameplay Trailer

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.

Gameplay trailer not coming at the end of the show my bad

Last edited:

Calverz

The transition from cinematic 30fps to 60fps gameplay was jarring to say the least. Also the “play has no limits” tag at the end was embarassing. It clearly does in this case 🤣🤣

skit_data

I still cant get over how strange of a game idea this is

-You like LoTR? You like games?!
-Yes!
-Well here is a game about Gollum

I know Gollum is pretty much the central character alongside Bilbo and Frodo in terms of what ideas the book tries to convey but still, will it really translate to gameplay?

Boneless

-Yes!

I know Gollum is pretty much the central character alongside Bilbo and Frodo in terms of what ideas the book tries to convey but still, will it really translate to gameplay?

Exactly, this is like someone creating a new Star Wars game, with lead character being Jar Jar Binks, like who in the right mind?

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member

-Yes!

I think they wanted to make a stealth game and, in regards to the story, this was the best character to fit that mold.

Kev Kev

so is this basically how Gollum escapes from barad-dûr? If so, hell yeah I’m in!

next, I’ll take a third person style game (souls, god of war, etc) of how Gandalf fights the Balrog from the lowest dungeon to the highest mountain please and thank you

Kimahri

Banned
Don't really get the hate. Sounds like an interesting starting point.

I just wish they'd differentiate themselves more from the movies. This is basically a kiddy cartoon version of movie Gollum. Kinda weak. The rest looks nice enough.

jaysius

Banned
At least J.R.R Tolkien is too rotten now to roll over in his grave. Poor Tom Clancy is probably rolling still from every bastardization of his name.

Looks like a remastered 360 game.

The concept of a gollum game could be really cool if pulled of correctly. This does not look very promising at all but hell, I'll still hold out hope that it plays well.

Hasn't this game been in development for a while?

Batiman

Banned

-Yes!

For real.

Im in a crazy LOTR mode. Watching all the movies again. Now I gotta see this shit. What a waste of the IP. It could be a good game but still.

This IP has so much wasted potential, I hope the new MMO from Amazon is going to be amazing, New World looks promising.

Those graphics don't look good at all.
They look like typical current gen graphics, Gollum does look really bad though. It's not good when the game's protagonist looks like a plastic toy.

Last edited:

Raven117

Gold Member
This will always be a dumb as shit complaint. Let studios create what they want. Even if it's a miss, it's still more interesting than Sequel X or Remake Y
You missed the point of the phrase entirely. It’s not actually inquiring whether people actually wrote in and asked for this. It’s asking whether a studio, who makes games for profit, actually think that this type of game was the way to go. They can still make whatever they want, but they have to sell games to stay in business.

you can stuff that attitude

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Could be interesting. I hope they can stick to the lore decently wel instead of making a travesty of a series like the previous few games did.

Rickyiez

The transition from cinematic 30fps to 60fps gameplay was jarring to say the least. Also the “play has no limits” tag at the end was embarassing. It clearly does in this case 🤣🤣

"Play has no limits" has clearly jinx the whole PS5 campaign .

420bits

Who asked for this? there is so much stuff going on it LOTR that they could have picked anything else and it would have been (probably) a more interesting game.

I like when they try new stuff but this is as wanted as the Nosgoth game we got instead of a remake or a sequel to the Kain-series.

Hunnybun

Is that last scene they showed CGI or something? If not I don't understand the complaints about the graphics, as that looks fantastic. I mean, all the other footage looks nice too, but that scene especially looks excellent.

Honestly, the vitriol for this seems way OTT at this point.

Mmnow

Don't love the voice. It's close enough to movie Gollum that it sounds like a impersonation, but far enough out that it's off. The performance is fine, but it reminds me of those licenced-but-not Harry Potter voices from the Ps1 era.

Aside from that, I'll probably still play it. They've got the pressure of accessing one of the biggest fantasy franchises for an AA platformer. You've gotta go in with that outlook.

Top Bottom