• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lord of the Rings: Does it hold up today?

Kimawolf

Lord of the Rings was an EPIC undertaking in movie making (If you don't believe me read the wiki or look at any numerous documentaries on the movie).
The Lord of the Rings is a film series consisting of three high fantasy adventure films directed by Peter Jackson. They are based on the novel The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien. The films are subtitled The Fellowship of the Ring (2001), The Two Towers (2002) and The Return of the King (2003). They are a New Zealand-American venture produced by WingNut Films and The Saul Zaentz Company and distributed by New Line Cinema.

Considered to be one of the biggest and most ambitious film projects ever undertaken, with an overall budget of $281 million (some sources say $310-$330 million),[2] the entire project took eight years, with the filming for all three films done simultaneously and entirely in New Zealand, Jackson's native country.[3] Each film in the series also had special extended editions released on DVD a year after their respective theatrical releases. While the films follow the book's general storyline, they do omit some of the novel's plot elements and include some additions to and deviations from the source material.
'

It is film making which we probably will not see again in the future. The locations, the costuming, it all is on a level not seen since imo. But does the film as a WHOLE it hold up today?

One thing which does not hold up is the CGI of course. It has aged badly, as seen in the scene below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LczScUdrWag The scene itself is still good, but its aged.

So do YOU think it holds up well today? or do some of the issues with the film make it tough to watch again?

If you want to see a documentary written about the trilogy, I recommend this one: http://screencrush.com/there-and-back-again-revisiting-the-lord-of-the-rings-trilogy-in-2014/

Spacejaws

I’d say absolutely it does. Moreso than the more recent Hobbit movies even.

It has aged incredibly well and I’d argue unlike other genres it’s imitators didn't really do a good job conveying the same atmosphere etc. For years afterwards we had large scale historic/fantasy warfare type movies like The Kingdom of Heaven, Alexander, Troy etc but they pale in comparison.

Game of Thrones and shows like Vikings probably proves there’s still a market for a quality, high fantasy, medieval inspired tv/movies. It’s just most that come out are dreadful (In The Name of the King is a great movie to get drunk to with mates and rip apart).

The movies are timeless, every one of them. Nearly all of the practical special effects and make up still hold up and even the CGI doesn't look that bad, most of the time.

Biske

For the most part. Fellowship is timeless,. Two Towers and Return of the King not as much, still pretty good, but suffer from increasing levels of goofyness.

Rush_Khan

I watched them all in May this year for the first time. By far one of the best films (as a whole) I've ever seen. So yes, they do hold.

The only thing I will say is that they are too long. If only they were originally made as a TV series or something, then they would be perfect.

PJV3

They must do, I keep watching when they come on the tv, the only thing that kinda grates is the singing.

Kadayi

Banned
For the most part. I don't care much for the things like Legolas surfing on the shield etc, or 'meats back on the menu' (like Orcs dine out a lot.) that sort of thing probably seems amusing at the time, but just comes across as increasingly risible.

Lucumo

Watched the final movie the first time like two years ago (including rewatching the first two right before it). Overall, they are okay. From my perspective, it starts off really great, then goes slowly downhill with the occasional bumps along the road.

For the most part. I don't care much for the things like Legolas surfing on the shield etc, or 'meats back on the menu' (like Orcs dine out a lot.) that sort of thing probably seems amusing at the time, but just comes across as increasingly risible.

Meats back on the menu is a classic line! And menu doesn't necessarily apply only to restaurants, definition-wise it's just a list of things that are going to be served at a meal. Orcs may not frequent cafes but they certainly have quartermasters who tell them what they are and aren't going to be eating (like moldy bread for THREE STINKIN DAYS!)

Barren Mind

I really don't understand the purpose of a question such as this. It's basically asking does MGS2 have graphics almost as good as Phantom Pain? No of course not. However like Star Wars A New Hope, Raiders of the Lost Arc, and The Matrix, they aren't films where it was all about the CGI/effects. They are timeless films that pushed the boundaries of creative thought and inspired millions of people.

The Lord of the Rings is one of the greatest epics of all time. It was that way when it released and it will be that way 20 years from now.

Taker666

The original LOTR looks better than the newest Hobbit film

True. That's largely because of the far greater use/overuse of CGI in the Hobbit. I don't think the make-up effects were as good in The Hobbit either (not weathered enough..they all looked a bit too fresh faced).

Still some of the CGI in LOTR looked really bad even back then. The first Warg scene was especially terrible.

It would be quite nice to see the LOTR films given a slight visual revamp. Not ala George Lucas with new CGI being forced in for no reason...but it would be nice to see the CGI redone in some of the more dodgy scenes if it gets a 4K release.

Kimawolf

True. That's largely because of the far greater use of CGI in the Hobbit.

Still some of the CGI in LOTR looked bad even then. The first Warg scene was especially terrible.

It would be quite nice to see the LOTR films given a slight visual revamp. Not ala George Lucas with new CGI being forced in for no reason...but it would be nice to see the CGI redone in some of the more dodgy scenes if it gets a 4K release.

Its one of the movies I WISH would get a huge re-release/remaster. I'd love it. And i'd pay to see it.

eso76

Legolas surfing made people cringe even back then though.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Like Star Wars yes, but you’ll never mistake it for a modern movie (also like Star Wars)

The worst that can be leveled at it is some CG doesn’t hold up.. but that’s going to be true of most pure CG pre-2010s.

Watched the series with my 8 year old last week, he loved it and I would say it holds up. CG is what dates it mostly, nothing else. It will not hold up in another 20 or so years like most films but for now.. it does.

For the most part. Fellowship is timeless,. Two Towers and Return of the King not as much, still pretty good, but suffer from increasing levels of goofyness.

This is how I feel.

Fellowship's CGI has not really aged because it was sparingly used. The rest of the series gets a little too wacky and abuses it for the battle scenes.

sirap

Absolutely. I'd argue they will hold up better than any of the Hobbit movies, especially Fellowship. Dated CGI can be forgiven, but whacky, over the top action scenes where digital doubles move like rubber dolls? Nah.

Couldn't say for sure since it's been years since I last watched them. They can't be worse than the horrid Hobbit ones tho so there's that at least.

I was reading LotR's lore the other day. I think JRRT made the lore 5x more complicated than it need to be.

IMO ASOIAF has right amount of background lore. They are actually matter to the plot and you can follow them.

Typical

Banned
I don’t think they will ever age, law of diminishing returns seems to apply. Unlike for example the original Star Wars which clearly dated.

WaterAstro

It holds up because of Peter Jackson's approach to showing the fantasy by using more practical effects than CG, but also making the CG work well with the practical effects too, which is why WETA is amazing.

Scenes like Hobbiton, Rivendale, and Lothlorien just look real.

T.v

Yes, they definitely still hold up. Some of the cgi is a bit rough, but overall it's still impressive. These are one of a kind movies, the like of which I don't think we will ever see again. Hell, reading some stories it's a miracle the trilogy was made at all. I'd highly recommend picking up the boxset, and going through all of the behind the scenes stuff. The passion displayed by everyone involved is remarkable. These movies were a perfect storm of filmmaking. And it's soundtrack might be unparralelled. And this all on a budget that these days would be incredibly low. Just compare the Trilogy to any movie made today with a similar budget.

The movies get nothing but praise from me, but I will say that as adaptations they are not even that good.

Top Bottom