• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Loot River - Announcement Trailer

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Set in a series of procedurally generated labyrinths, Loot River is a dungeon crawling action roguelike that combines tense, real-time combat and dark fantasy settings with spatial block-shifting.

Coming to Xbox and PC!

MultiGif-b.gif
LR-500x281-opt_04.gif
LR-500x281-opt_03.gif

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Very impressed with this when I saw it, I love the water shader and the ferocity of it is appealing to me, I love slamming people and the gameplay looks like it makes you feel like a stylish badarse.

Slam Dunk Basketball GIF

TwistedSyn

This actually looks neat. Using the platforms for actual dodging and attacking is interesting. Added to my wishlist.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Start exploring Loot River on May 3rd!

Set in a series of procedurally generated labyrinths, Loot River is a dungeon crawling action roguelike that combines tense, real-time combat and dark fantasy settings with spatial block-shifting.

Coming to Game Pass, Xbox and PC!

reksveks

AJUMP23

Loot river, wider than a mile
I'm crossin' you in style some day
Old dream maker, you heartbreaker
Wherever you're goin', I'm goin' your way

SJRB

Gold Member
Steam review aggregate went from "very positive" to "mixed" in about 12 hours.

Seems this is a swing and a miss based on many of the reviews. Visually awesome but lacklustre gameplay.

Steam review aggregate went from "very positive" to "mixed" in about 12 hours.

Seems this is a swing and a miss based on many of the reviews. Visually awesome but lacklustre gameplay.
That's fair.

I'm trying to love it. The game is super original, given that you surf around a dungeon on tetris pieces lol. I've never done that before! I love the look of the game too. But the gameplay is a bit rough, and it's hard to make it past the first boss even.

I've swapped some buttons around, and put light attack on X and heavy attack on Y and it's helping but I have a ways to go still. I don't hate it, but the gameplay is not great. Still going to keep trying to get better and see if it clicks.

Kuranghi

That's fair.

I'm trying to love it. The game is super original, given that you surf around a dungeon on tetris pieces lol. I've never done that before! I love the look of the game too. But the gameplay is a bit rough, and it's hard to make it past the first boss even.

I've swapped some buttons around, and put light attack on X and heavy attack on Y and it's helping but I have a ways to go still. I don't hate it, but the gameplay is not great. Still going to keep trying to get better and see if it clicks.

Good to know, I was going to buy it for my friend as a cool off game from Old Rusty Brown's Ring but maybe not a good idea if it's frustrating.

Do you find it hard or just frustrating? To be fair I don't know if that will matter that much to my friend he's quite stubborn in Antique Bumhole and likes when he dies a lot lol, so maybe he's love Loot River.

Good to know, I was going to buy it for my friend as a cool off game from Old Rusty Brown's Ring but maybe not a good idea if it's frustrating.

Do you find it hard or just frustrating? To be fair I don't know if that will matter that much to my friend he's quite stubborn in Antique Bumhole and likes when he dies a lot lol, so maybe he's love Loot River.
It's just so early in the game that I don't want to judge it yet. There's things about it that I like, but it's a very unique game. The character is very small on the screen and most of your moves are pretty slow. It doesn't seem particularly complicated so if I managed to figure out the rolling and parry, I could see it being manageable. But as of right now, I got to the first boss and he dashed quickly from off the screen when I didn't even see him and he killed me in one hit lol. Then back to the beginning and start over since it looks like a roguelike again.

Get whenever the price wont hurt. It's not great combat, but it has some potential. Need to play more to see how it goes. Barely even seen the game.

jaysius

Banned
The game will be cool when it's finished. Your entire character TELEPORTS when you dodge, the maker didn't understand how to create a DODGE animation so they just fucking skipped it. You're locked into movements way too long to make the dodge effective anyway. The lack of a dodge animation is very disorienting as you don't always think of where you'll end up.

I like the clever concept.

Also the level the game is zoomed out permanently sucks.

The game shouldn't be released it, it's a great concept but too many things are half-assed right now.

Last edited:
I completely missed the part where this is a roguelike which now has killed any interest in it. Thought id woulbe like Hyper Light Drifter but with an interesting mechanic, that tetris thing.

Relique

Tried it on gamepass and it's not for me. Combat is a bit jank in that enemies do the same pattern of attacks, like you hit them twice and parry and it works every time. The artstyle makes it a bit hard to see the enemies' attacks. Maybe it's just the early game but the world is a bit too barren with nothing to loot. I played like 40 minutes in one general direction without getting a single health pickup. The roguelike elements are what completely killed it for me though. Maybe there is some persistent progression hidden in there but I didn't see it right away.

Hope you guys find more fun in it than I did

Last edited:

Jaybe

But the gameplay is a bit rough, and it's hard to make it past the first boss even.

Thanks for your write up. I try to check the difficulty level before even bothering. Seems to be a trend by indies to make these games difficult which isn’t what I want to spend my playtime on. At least Tunic had some assists.

Thanks for your write up. I try to check the difficulty level before even bothering. Seems to be a trend by indies to make these games difficult which isn’t what I want to spend my playtime on. At least Tunic had some assists.
The art of correctly balancing difficulty levels has been lost, that's for sure. There's a place for difficulty but it doesn't hurt to let people get past the first boss and ramp things up at a more gradual pace, and also maybe include some higher difficulty options for new game+ or something. Just basics of action game design that have fallen out of fashion lately.

Fredrik

This game is so unique! One of the most unique games I’ve ever played.

I love it.

And I also hate it.

Why are so many devs now thinking people like and have time to play the same sections over and over?
Like holy crap, could someone please erase the roguelike genre? I played for like 45 minutes and reached a whole bunch of new areas, found cool weapons, leveled up 4 times, then I messed up and died and was at the start as a starter level character. Wat? Stop wasting my time! Bah! 😤

Thanks Gamepass for helping me keep my wallet closed though 👍

Top Bottom