• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looks like meat's back on the menu, boys!

iconmaster

Banned

[O]n Monday, in a remarkable turnabout, an international collaboration of researchers produced a series of analyses concluding that the advice, a bedrock of almost all dietary guidelines, is not backed by good scientific evidence.

If there are health benefits from eating less beef and pork, they are small, the researchers said. Indeed, the advantages are so faint that they can be discerned only when looking at large populations, the scientists said, and are not sufficient to tell individuals to change their meat-eating habits.

And of course, the new findings are going over well:

The new studies were met with indignation by nutrition researchers who have long said that red meat and processed meats contribute to the risk of heart disease and cancer.

“Irresponsible and unethical,” said Dr. Hu, of Harvard, in a commentary published online with his colleagues. Studies of red meat as a health hazard may have been problematic, he said, but the consistency of the conclusions over years gives them credibility.

Nutrition studies, he added, should not be held to the same rigid standards as studies of experimental drugs.

😂

"Stop confusing me with the facts!"

BRB eating a whole brisket

z0yw59B.png

The article claims no outside funding was involved: "The investigators reported no conflicts of interest and did the studies without outside funding." You can see funding disclosures on the study page.

There's a confusing bit in the article: "Dr. Allison has received research funding from the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association, a lobbying group for meat producers." I think Dr. Allison is just somebody commenting on the study, not involved in the research; but it's unclear.

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
I never listen to diet advice aside from the glaring obvious advice that we all know like sitting around d just eating big mac's a d twinkies is bad, or that fruits and vegetables are good.

The problem with diet advice is that its fad driven for one. Whatever diet fad is popular is what you hear people say is the best for you and its driven by advertising for infomercials and books and website traffic. And those people can phrase and word anything to sound how they want to. They show some fat bitch in one pic and in another pic she isn't so fat and people believe it and will do it and they will say it works but the reality is they stopped eating big mac's and twinkies all day and nice and lost weight. Every 2 years food information drastically changes. Meant has been good and bad for you like 5 or 6 times in my life. Milk has been good and bad and good again, then its soy milk is best. Drinking coffee is good for you, then it's bad. Then wine is good for you then its bad.

There are only general rules of health. One person can eat 3 steaks a day and drink a gallon of wine and be perfectly fine but that will kill the person next to them.

I will eat whatever the hell I want to eat but I am also responsible. Yeah I'll eat 2 big mac's in one day, but I won't do it every day. Yes I'll drink a Pepsi with a hamburger but I drink water or tea with my other meal that is a salad and some grilled salmon. Portion control and not overdoing it on something is all anyone needs unless they have some other underlying issue.

But anyone who says meat is bad is a fucking retard. We have eyes in the front of our heads because we are predators, we have canine teeth and molars to tear meat and grind it, our digestive system is designed to be omnivores, we legs to run and arms and hands to catch prey. We are meat eaters, were are evolved from carnivores. Monkeys are also omnivores we evolved from and do eat meat as well.

iconmaster

Banned
I never listen to diet advice aside from the glaring obvious advice

The NYT actually goes into some of the difficulty with nutritional research, which you don't usually get from mainstream reporting.

At the heart of the debate is a dispute over nutritional research itself, and whether it’s possible to ascertain the effects of just one component of the diet. The gold standard for medical evidence is the randomized clinical trial, in which one group of participants is assigned one drug or diet, and another is assigned a different intervention or a placebo.

But asking people to stick to a diet assigned by a flip of a coin, and to stay with it long enough to know if it affects the risk for heart attack or cancer risk, is nearly impossible.

The alternative is an observational study: Investigators ask people what they eat and look for links to health. But it can be hard to know what people really are eating, and people who eat a lot of meat are different in many other ways from those who eat little or none.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I went low-carb in 2011 and over the years have increased the proportion of meat (mostly beef) in my diet to the point that I mostly eat just meat. Every year since going low-carb, I've only become healthier and stronger. I was fat and sickly once, but never again. And, yeah, my lipid profile is great, although overall LDL is considered slightly over the recommended value (I have suspicions about the validity of that recommendation).

Obviously correlation is not causation, but more meat and less carbs has been wonderful for my health and wellbeing.

Vegans are coming

RIP TC

Nah. That brisket is way too powerful. It's capability is damn amazing. I wager it is so great that it can turn a limpy cuck into ALPHA BUCK! AND HE IS HERE TO CHUCK STEAK INTO A GOOD MARINADE AND COOK THAT SUMBITCH TO PERFETION. AND THEN WATCH YOU ENJOY ALL THE PLEASURE cause that's his fetish.

Great power, but it's still not powerful enough to cure cuckitis. That infectious disease is persistent. Adaptation is a powerful tool, especially when you go unnoticed. Hybrids are even more difficult. Doubt that a cukhold's externalvaries and outiegina are easily fixed.

The brisket made me hungry. I want brisket now.

Papa

Banned
The NYT actually goes into some of the difficulty with nutritional research, which you don't usually get from mainstream reporting.

I wonder how much racial demographics play in modern diet research. Our ancestors evolved in different environments and adapted to different diets. Obviously, people of a particular racial group will process certain foods better than other groups. With the increasing racial diversity in the US, I imagine there are all kinds of complexities when it comes to diet and I doubt there's a one-size-fits-all solution. This isn't a complaint about immigration (duh), just wondering how it's controlled for in these kinds of studies.

daveonezero

Banned
I never took that one seriously.
If a study isn’t discerning traditional soy fed meat vs pasture raised and grass fed it doesn’t concern me anyways.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I never listen to diet advice aside from the glaring obvious advice that we all know like sitting around d just eating big mac's a d twinkies is bad, or that fruits and vegetables are good.

The problem with diet advice is that its fad driven for one. Whatever diet fad is popular is what you hear people say is the best for you and its driven by advertising for infomercials and books and website traffic. And those people can phrase and word anything to sound how they want to. They show some fat bitch in one pic and in another pic she isn't so fat and people believe it and will do it and they will say it works but the reality is they stopped eating big mac's and twinkies all day and nice and lost weight. Every 2 years food information drastically changes. Meant has been good and bad for you like 5 or 6 times in my life. Milk has been good and bad and good again, then its soy milk is best. Drinking coffee is good for you, then it's bad. Then wine is good for you then its bad.

There are only general rules of health. One person can eat 3 steaks a day and drink a gallon of wine and be perfectly fine but that will kill the person next to them.

I will eat whatever the hell I want to eat but I am also responsible. Yeah I'll eat 2 big mac's in one day, but I won't do it every day. Yes I'll drink a Pepsi with a hamburger but I drink water or tea with my other meal that is a salad and some grilled salmon. Portion control and not overdoing it on something is all anyone needs unless they have some other underlying issue.

But anyone who says meat is bad is a fucking retard. We have eyes in the front of our heads because we are predators, we have canine teeth and molars to tear meat and grind it, our digestive system is designed to be omnivores, we legs to run and arms and hands to catch prey. We are meat eaters, were are evolved from carnivores. Monkeys are also omnivores we evolved from and do eat meat as well.
Going by Canada's history of food guides and recos, to me it's not really about fads. It's about all these so-called food experts having no idea what the fuck they are talking about.

Decades ago, it was about a well balanced meal with frequency/serving size recos, skewing to more fruits/veggies/whole grains.

The latest guide is now a pie chart reco of foods, zero frequency serving size and dairy is not recommended anymore in any fashion.

So after probably 100 years of promoting milk and cheese, suddenly they are absent. So in the past couple years, there's been miracle scientific evidence that dairy is suddenly shit?

healthy-plate-proportions.jpg

Last edited:
I went low-carb in 2011 and over the years have increased the proportion of meat (mostly beef) in my diet to the point that I mostly eat just meat. Every year since going low-carb, I've only become healthier and stronger. I was fat and sickly once, but never again. And, yeah, my lipid profile is great, although overall LDL is considered slightly over the recommended value (I have suspicions about the validity of that recommendation).

Obviously correlation is not causation, but more meat and less carbs has been wonderful for my health and wellbeing.

High LDL is pretty normal for people on ketogenic and HFLC diets. For one, LDL from a standard lipid panel is a calculated value which is thrown off by the biochemistry of the diet. You can have actual LDL done, but it costs more and really is not necessary because without inflammation from sugars atherosclerosis is not really a concern.

But yeah, most days I eat mostly meat, eggs, and cheese. I get a 2-4 servings of your typical keto plant foods, but it is mostly meat.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Going by Canada's history of food guides and recos, to me it's not really about fads. It's about all these so-called food experts having no idea what the fuck they are talking about.

Decades ago, it was about a well balanced meal with frequency/serving size recos, skewing to more fruits/veggies/whole grains.

The latest guide is now a pie chart reco of foods, zero frequency serving size and dairy is not recommended anymore in any fashion.

So after probably 100 years of promoting milk and cheese, suddenly they are absent. So in the past couple years, there's been miracle scientific evidence that dairy is suddenly shit?

healthy-plate-proportions.jpg
Good luck getting most orgs to concede that you don't need grains.

The "choose whole grains" is just a comparative improvement. It is healthier than white bread, but most of our grain-based and legume-based foods still aren't all that good for us (look up phytic acid for grains and saponins for soy). Your body doesn't need carbs. It can synthesize as many as it needs through the liver.

I love meat. I'll keep eating it as long as I live.

Humans originated as hunter/gatherers and rarely ate large quantities of grains, because they used to only eat what they could forage for and gather to supplement what they hunted. The true Paleolithic human diet, and I don't mean the fad diet named after that time period, was largely protein and fat (from meat) and very minimal amounts of carbs.

When humans settled down and invented agriculture, this completely changed the human diet. And not for the better. We now know thanks to the people who consume ketogenic diets that you literally do not need carbs whatsoever to survive, although carbs are very nice yes and taste good. In general, humans today consume way too many carbs compared to their caveman ancestors, but only the truly morbidly obese and severely diabetic need to really remove all carbs from their diet. Most of us....could probably just stand to eat fewer carbs.

The long read follows. Enjoy, and remember, meat is good for you. It's not the ground beef patty in the hamburger that's killing you. It's the bun.

Last edited:

betrayal

Banned
The studies that said red meat is bad are crap anyway and everybody with a functioning brain who can think for themselves knew it. Scientifically it was pure scam. They took a few thousand people, questioned them on their eating behavior and found out, that people who eat a lot of red meat died earlier and got more cancer. Looking at these filtered number, this it absolute correct, but as always there was a lack of context. In a nutshell, people who eat a lot of red meat tend to eat more unhealthy in general, are not very active and follow a more unhealthy life style. That's why they die earlier are get cancer more often. It has nothing to do with red meat.

Top Bottom