• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looks like a new PS5 model is coming soon

Trogdor1123

your answer : "Probably more than that"

Maybe I got you wrong, but the guy above was referring to a slim or Pro model, which has nothing to do with the PS5 revision we are talking about here, which is still a base PS5 model...
I never said it did. I said we are more than year out. And we are.

I just want Sony to announce ps5 pro. Hope it will come within a year and a half.
Did PS3 slim then PS4 pro so it makes sense to jump on PS5 pro. I like the idea of jumping into the middle of the generation to have a mature library. But the wait is killing me ( a bit)...

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
It will be some small internal change that will operate exactly the same, but will be very slightly cheaper to manufacture.
Maybe they are just trying to improve yields. That would give more consoles.
Edit: just realized this is old so ignore it.

Last edited:
I just want Sony to announce ps5 pro. Hope it will come within a year and a half.
Did PS3 slim then PS4 pro so it makes sense to jump on PS5 pro. I like the idea of jumping into the middle of the generation to have a mature library. But the wait is killing me ( a bit)...
Not worth the wait, it's better to just enjoy the PS5 and then upgrade it later.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Not worth the wait, it's better to just enjoy the PS5 and then upgrade it later.
I think if you don't have any hardware to play next-gen games, a PS5 is a no-brainer, but if you have a Series X or a capable PC, waiting for the Pro model wouldn't be too difficult. Just about everything released over the last 2 years has been cross-gen anyways... Hopefully 2023 is the year we see the hardware actually being utilized.

I think if you don't have any hardware to play next-gen games, a PS5 is a no-brainer, but if you have a Series X or a capable PC, waiting for the Pro model wouldn't be too difficult. Just about everything released over the last 2 years has been cross-gen anyways... Hopefully 2023 is the year we see the hardware actually being utilized.
I think games just add up and you'll end up not appreciating them enough once you get a PS5 Pro many years from now and have to go through 4 years of releases.

I guess it would make sense if your were playing the crossgen games on the PS4 Pro but to me that's even more incentive to just start playing on the PS5 instead, since the experience is much better already.

Last edited:

Paulxo87

I think spiderman is going to surprise big time. I thought the trailer looked great But I think the best is yet to come. I think they are going to make that city come to life with the ssd tech

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I think games just add up end you'll end up not appreciating them enough once you get a PS5 Pro many years from now and have to go through 4 years of releases.

I guess it would make sense if your were playing the crossgen games on the PS4 Pro but to me that's even more incentive to just start playing on the PS5 instead.
If I had a PS5 right now, I'd literally simply replay Ghost of Tsushima and Last Guardian just for the 60fps goodness. I lost my O.G. PS4 in a fire in a move years ago and it was right when the PS4Pro came out so it was perfect to replace the original. As it stands, still, feels like all these years in, the best PS5 games are still PS4Pro games upgraded. I just haven't felt the same urge this generation for a PS5 yet.

I think spiderman is going to surprise big time. I thought the trailer looked great But I think the best is yet to come. I think they are going to make that city come to life with the ssd tech

I really look forward to what Insomniac will do now that they aren't tied to previous hardware. It should be amazing.

Last edited:

mitchman

Gold Member

A youtuber teaching Sony engineers a lesson. His version is much smaller, sleeker, looks more premium, and it runs significantly cooler.

The fat version will age terribly. The crazier the design the worst it looks over time. A conservative and minimal approach is timeless.

Sorry if posted before.

It also uses an external power supply and is water cooled. Sony could do it if it made any kind of sense and price point was not an issue, but alas it is.

Last edited:

Banned

that sounds to me like they shrunk down the heatsink again... which makes me really scratch my head...

the 1100 model heat sink already was significantly smaller, how small can they make it without the need for the fans to become too loud.

because they can cheap out on material for the heatsink and compensate it with a faster fan of course. but that would mean a less pleasant noise level.

but then again, people bought the PS4 1000, 1100, 7000 and 7100 without too much of it backfiring... even tho the 1000 especially could literally sound like it's about to explode.
maybe Sony thinks it's not a big deal for most people to have a somewhat louder PS5.

maybe it is a completely different thing they changed, but what else could it be tho 🤔🤔

Elios83

It will be interesting to find out if this new model uses a 6nm SOC.
They stated a while ago during financial reports that they were going to improve production through a new design.
This is probably the key behind the expected 18m units.

Speaking of slim, back when I used to play disc games, I miss when the slim model came with an accessible disc tray that either popped open or slid open. PS4 stopped the trend.

PS2Slim.JPG

maxresdefault.jpg
giphy.gif

edit: oops, already replied to this post months ago, ha.

Last edited:
I have no doubt in my mind that the chip shortage and extremely high demand for both Xbox Series X/S and PS5 has prolonged the lifespan of this generation of consoles. I don't think either Sony or Microsoft are in any rush whatsoever to release a "Pro" version of their consoles until Holiday 2024 at the earliest. Hell, we don't even yet know what these current consoles are capable of pushing out as nearly all AAA games released so far have been cross-gen. Once we start getting the first Unreal Engine 5 games next year and current-gen exclusives like Forza Motorsport, Starfield, and SpiderMan 2, we'll know if we even need Pro consoles.

Hohenheim

A version without any coil whine would be quite pro enough. I don't usually have OCD-symtoms, but that annoying buzzing sound which change in pitch when moving around in a game.. it's terrible. And the pitch / tone is in such a way that it penetrates through a decent amount of volume.

It's so bad that I actually consider waiting for PC releases of Last of us remake and GOW Ragnarok.

Last edited:
Top Bottom