• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looks like a new PS5 model is coming soon

Papacheeks

Banned
Just means they’re using some different parts or different factories for assembly.

Obviously the heart of the PS5 - the SoC - remains made by AMD via TSMC.
Wonder if they have new supplier and design all together for cooling solution as they took measures last year to decrease Copper heatsink imprint, wonder if they have shrunk the board itself and form factor itself is changing? Maybe no liquid metal?

David B

An Idiot
There's not much too it. I read somewhere that it's just a new audio system in it. Anyways, since I can't post yet, I hate the PS5 controller. It's way too big for me and causes me to stretch my hand from controller sticks to R2 L2. It just plainly hurts. Crappiest controller ever.

Max_Po

Banned
My Dualsense that came with my PS5 is from June of last year and still has no drift issues. Put significant hours into Demon's souls,Returnal,Spider-man,Elden ring,RE2 and 7. So I think they might have done a minor update? Maybe the new controllers they released last December are better.
Mine from 2020 launch are working perfectly.
I have atleast 1000+ hours and all 3 are perfectly working. I play all sorts of games Call of Doody as well.

I bet people like him just chime in to throw a ranch in conversation

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Hopefully you can get it! Stock is getting better and smaller european countreis might start to get more units. Hopefully the same happens where i live (Portugal).that

That's so kind to say man! Yeah I'm getinng annoyed refreshing my email! Lol! Still 650 or so with GT7 and a black and white dual sense. Not sure shit's going to be much cheaper coming months. Wish you all the luck!
Bomb dia dude

Reactions: Isa
That's so kind to say man! Yeah I'm getinng annoyed refreshing my email! Lol! Still 650 or so with GT7 and a black and white dual sense. Not sure shit's going to be much cheaper coming months. Wish you all the luck!
Bomb dia dude
Oh i pre-ordered it day one and got one back in 2020. My country doesn't care for pre-ordering these things so i was lucky and got one with no problem. But my friends never pre-ordered and thought i was being paranoid about it selling out...and here we are in 2022 and they are still trying to get one so i keep trying to help them. Jim Ryan is focusing on countries where Xbox sells some units, so most folks in europe getting PS5 are from the UK basically, which means smaller countries like yours and mine get some left over units...so i know your pain.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Oh i pre-ordered it day one and got one back in 2020. My country doesn't care for pre-ordering these things so i was lucky and got one with no problem. But my friends never pre-ordered and thought i was being paranoid about it selling out...and here we are in 2022 and they are still trying to get one so i keep trying to help them. Jim Ryan is focusing on countries where Xbox sells some units, so most folks in europe getting PS5 are from the UK basically, which means smaller countries like yours and mine get some left over units...so i know your pain.

Ahh I see! Great you got yours. I was in the same camp as your friends. And look how that turned out lol! Oh well. Fingers crossed!!!!

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Entered a lottery here that'll send out emails to the "winners" today. Fingers crossed. 1200 units, 300.000 people

Alas no dice friends. Otherwise paying 650+ while I really want a 400€ DE doesnt make it that bad in the end I guess.. Thanks for your support all

Back to Elden Ring and getting 3 shot in Halo lol

Last edited:
  • Empathy

VFXVeteran

Banned
This is not the PS5 Pro. It is the second revision of the existing hardware. The first one changed the heatsink. Current PS5's are made on a 7nm die. This is a 6nm die. The likely intent here is to increase available production by switching to a die that is not as high in demand.
The PS5 Pro won't be a totally new architecture if that's what people are hoping for. PS5 Pro won't be drastically better than PS5 (if it even is a reality). For those looking for a better hardware SKU, they'll have to wait till PS6.

VFXVeteran

Banned
If the PS5 Pro is a thing, I see no reason why it won't be drastically better over the regular PS5. Otherwise what would be the point? The PS4 Pro was significantly faster then the regular PS4 after all.
Nah, it wasn't significantly faster. It only allowed a small step up in resolution by increasing clock speeds with an added price tag $100 more. Nothing even remotely in the vein of extra graphics features like a different GPU. We have to keep things in perspective. A Pro is only assumed on these boards because last gen had one but no other gen had a "Pro" model. That's because Sony/MS undershot power designs. This generation isn't underpowered like last gen was. Secondly, there will not be a change in architecture with a GPU. So people should stop expecting a pre-PS6 console with faster RT or hardware AI cores. I'd just expect something in the way of increased clocks and/or larger storage with overall architecture being the same to justify a $100 increase.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Nah, it wasn't significantly faster. It only allowed a small step up in resolution by increasing clock speeds with an added price tag $100 more. Nothing even remotely in the vein of extra graphics features like a different GPU. We have to keep things in perspective. A Pro is only assumed on these boards because last gen had one but no other gen had a "Pro" model. That's because Sony/MS undershot power designs. This generation isn't underpowered like last gen was. Secondly, there will not be a change in architecture with a GPU. So people should stop expecting a pre-PS6 console with faster RT or hardware AI cores. I'd just expect something in the way of increased clocks and/or larger storage with overall architecture being the same to justify a $100 increase.
It was significantly faster though and did include architectural changes. The GPU was 2.3 times as faster in pure numbers and it included several new features from Polaris and Vega such as double FP16 compute and DCC.

The PS5 die is rather small, a die shrink is all that is needed to up the clocks and double the GPU again, which basically results in a 6800 XT assuming no changes from RDNA3. 5/4nm has some really good improvements over 7nm.

Faster memory is easy as well, instead of 14 Gbps modules that they have now, 18 Gbps is available.

CPU is no problem either, AMD is making great improvements there.

Making a PS5 Pro would be easy enough, the question is if Sony (or Microsoft) would attempt to do so and if they want to sell a $599 console. I can see arguments for either side.

VFXVeteran

Banned
It was significantly faster though and did include architectural changes. The GPU was 2.3 times as faster in pure numbers and it included several new features from Polaris and Vega such as double FP16 compute and DCC.
Perhaps they had that already in the pipe because they knew their original SKU was underpowered. Nevertheless, it wasn't enough to make a difference in added visual features.

The PS5 die is rather small, a die shrink is all that is needed to up the clocks and double the GPU again, which basically results in a 6800 XT assuming no changes from RDNA3. 5/4nm has some really good improvements over 7nm.
You need more than upping clocks in order to gain any traction with RT, native 4k resolution, and AI ML needed for handling RT.

Faster memory is easy as well, instead of 14 Gbps modules that they have now, 18 Gbps is available.
Not going to be enough to make a difference in gaming other than possibly approaching 4k native.

Two things you have to consider is:

Cost - We are limited by budget and making a Pro model with a limit of $100 more isn't going to make any dramatic difference in game demands for rendering. For example, the things you mentioned won't make a game like Spiderman with RT reflections render at native 4k/60FPS. Let alone render another RT feature like RT GI.

Compatibility - They can't add to a SKU (i.e. $100 worth of upgrades) too much without changing the entire graphics pipeline code. This would most certainly need a revision in the SDK and studios right now are already busy trying to implement the basics of the new SKU architecture.

Last edited:
I personally can't wait for a model that's twice as big and half as power efficient. The current model is too small as it is. Let's call the new, improved version PS5: Director's Cut

but seriously, I think it's too early for a pro/boosted/director's cut model.. we still haven't left last gen behind completely as yet. Still think we have a lot of games to see before they tap out the base PS5

• LOL

kyliethicc

Business wise the Pro was to offer a $400 PS4 after they price cut PS4 to $300 with the slim.

They’ll only do a PS5 Pro if they plan to cut the price of the PS5. Which won’t happen anytime soon, if ever.

The DE is already their lower priced option. Regular PS5 might never be officially cut below it’s $500 price.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Perhaps they had that already in the pipe because they knew their original SKU was underpowered. Nevertheless, it wasn't enough to make a difference in added visual features.

Those features were obviously on AMDs roadmap and Sony saw the benefits it would bring and thus included them. The exact same thing could occur with any future additions from RDNA 3.

You need more than upping clocks in order to gain any traction with RT, native 4k resolution, and AI ML needed for handling RT.

Upping the clocks and doubling the GPU compute units would make a significant impact. It would be the equivalent of going from a 6600xt to a 6800xt. That's also assuming no performance improvements to AMDs RT implementation.

Also dedicated AI ML is not needed for RT, unless you are referring to upscaling technology in which case RDNA 2 already suffices as it has DP4a support (XeSS) or can just rely on FSR 2.0 or TSR, which is like 80% of the way there already.

Not going to be enough to make a difference in gaming other than possibly approaching 4k native.
30% increased bandwidth will of course help with RT. If they can include Infinity cache then that is a help as well.

Cost - We are limited by budget and making a Pro model with a limit of $100 more isn't going to make any dramatic difference in game demands for rendering. For example, the things you mentioned won't make a game like Spiderman with RT reflections render at native 4k/60FPS. Let alone render another RT feature like RT GI.

Compatibility - They can't add to a SKU (i.e. $100 worth of upgrades) too much without changing the entire graphics pipeline code. This would most certainly need a revision in the SDK and studios right now are already busy trying to implement the basics of the new SKU architecture.

The above arguments could have been made against the PS4 Pro as well, and yet it happened.

Diddy X

shaddap-shutup.gif

Never thought about how big that cock is.

iorek21

Speaking of revisions, is the Dualsense getting any kind of new build?

One of my controllers is already drifting like crazy. Meanwhile, my 5-year-old DS4 is still working perfectly.

• Empathy

Just please stop with that. With DLSS, FSR, CBR and Dynamic resolutions native 4K means nothing even on PC. And DLSS is not "native" either. And you don't need AI ML for RT, is that your new "moved goals" for PS5 Pro, PS6?

"It has no AI ML so it has no real RT" :messenger_winking:

Last edited:

Skifi28

Just please stop with that. With DLSS, FSR, CBR and Dynamic resolutions native 4K means nothing even on PC. And DLSS is not "native" either. And you don't need AI ML for RT, is that your new "moved goals" for PS5 Pro, PS6?

People are still arguing with VFX about playstation? Come on, you should know better by now,

VFXVeteran

Banned
Upping the clocks and doubling the GPU compute units would make a significant impact. It would be the equivalent of going from a 6600xt to a 6800xt. That's also assuming no performance improvements to AMDs RT implementation.
Doubling the GPU compute units is a change in architecture. They did NOT do that last gen at all. They didn't touch the board design GPU.

Also dedicated AI ML is not needed for RT, unless you are referring to upscaling technology in which case RDNA 2 already suffices as it has DP4a support (XeSS) or can just rely on FSR 2.0 or TSR, which is like 80% of the way there already.
Are you trying to go on record like most of the console warriors here implying that there is no more requirement to advance GPU performance because the games that are out are underutilizing the hardware? Please say you aren't in that camp. I have yet to see any game on the console running at native 4k/60FPS with any sort of heavy duty RT - which would be a sound argument if there is proof of such a game. How much GPU design you think would be needed to make the Matrix demo run from 1080p/30FPS to native 4k/60FPS? Certainly not a PS5 Pro.:messenger_grimmacing_

The above arguments could have been made against the PS4 Pro as well, and yet it happened.
Previous generations aren't a guarantee of future requirements. Have you ever heard of this before when buying stocks that are risky? "Past performance is no guarantee of future performance". Why do a lot of you guys think requirements, costs, design, etc.. are completely 100% linear in time? I don't understand this logic.

It seems a lot of the console warriors on these boards shoot for the moon whenever something new hardware-wise comes out in their respective camps. And 100% of the time, it's shooting way too far. I don't know if you guys actually believe you'll one day get a supercomputer at the price of $500 or if you are just creating an illusion of getting such luck. The PS4 Pro, despite being 2.3X the performance of the PS4, was not a brand new architecture that advanced gaming for the last part of the generation. It's results spoke for itself - just some added pixels and options for performance/quality for the most part without anything else special. It was afterall only a $100 more.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned

I speak of native 4k because that tells you how good the bandwidth on a GPU is. I'm not saying that DLSS isn't doing anything to remedy the low bandwidth of Nvidia GPUs. For the 1000th time, even Nvidia boards lack bandwidth for RT and have to resort to DLSS as well. However, there will be a time that the latest GPUs boards WILL have enough bandwidth and will run a lot of these games today at native 4k/60FPS without using DLSS.

I just wish a lot you guys would also admit the shortcomings of your preferred box instead of trying to fool yourself in thinking it can handle everything just fine. Just like last generation, you'll slowly realize that with the entry of the PS6, that the PS5 was slow and lacked bandwidth to do anything remotely complicated that rivals excellent CG visuals instead of declaring it does it now when it's far from it.

CPU is no problem either, AMD is making great improvements there.

Making a PS5 Pro would be easy enough, the question is if Sony (or Microsoft) would attempt to do so and if they want to sell a $599 console. I can see arguments for either side.

A PS5 Pro with 2X+ GPU, 5nm chip, 18 Gbps (from the current 14 Gbps) will be a hell of a lot more than $100 extra. The PS4 Pro was released at $400, with the PS4 reduced by $100, you can say that the PS4 Pro took a $100 loss, or in other words, the components were at least $100 more. With what we are talking about with the PS5 Pro, it has to be at least $300 more. And if Sony is still willing to take a $100 loss, then the PS5 Pro could probably launch at $700. And that is still quite a bargain vs similar PC specs.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Doubling the GPU compute units is a change in architecture. They did NOT do that last gen at all. They didn't touch the board design GPU.
That's exactly what they did, please at least do some research if you are going to debate a point.

Are you trying to go on record like most of the console warriors here implying that there is no more requirement to advance GPU performance because the games that are out are underutilizing the hardware? Please say you aren't in that camp. I have yet to see any game on the console running at native 4k/60FPS with any sort of heavy duty RT - which would be a sound argument if there is proof of such a game. How much GPU design you think would be needed to make the Matrix demo run from 1080p/30FPS to native 4k/60FPS? Certainly not a PS5 Pro.:messenger_grimmacing_

How on earth did you get any of that from what I said? I merely stated dedicated tensor cores are not a requirement for RT or good upscaling algorithms.

Previous generations aren't a guarantee of future requirements. Have you ever heard of this before when buying stocks that are risky? "Past performance is no guarantee of future performance". Why do a lot of you guys think requirements, costs, design, etc.. are completely 100% linear in time? I don't understand this logic.

It seems a lot of the console warriors on these boards shoot for the moon whenever something new hardware-wise comes out in their respective camps. And 100% of the time, it's shooting way too far. I don't know if you guys actually believe you'll one day get a supercomputer at the price of $500 or if you are just creating an illusion of getting such luck. The PS4 Pro, despite being 2.3X the performance of the PS4, was not a brand new architecture that advanced gaming for the last part of the generation. It's results spoke for itself - just some added pixels and options for performance/quality for the most part without anything else special. It was afterall only a $100 more.

There is nothing stopping console manufactures from creating a more powerful console with better RT acceleration. The PS4 Pro took features from newer GCN revisions and it worked just fine, so I see no reason they cannot do the same for RDNA 3. Once again I am not certain if they will actually do it though.

Lastly calling me a console warrior is a laugh, I likely have a better PC then you do (which I just finished Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters on).

solidus12

The PS3 fat had the PS1 and PS2 chips so no. It was not because of the Cell CPU.
PS1 emulation was handled by the Cell while earlier PS3 models had the EE + GS for full PS2 backwards compatibility.

Though later, Sony managed to completely emulate the PS2 though the Cell. That’s how we got PS2 classics.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I think it would be smart for Sony to try to get a different smaller model out especially if it can bypass some constraints. Current constraint issues are allowing Microsoft to gain some market share it seems.

Edit: Typo.

Last edited:

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Speaking of revisions, is the Dualsense getting any kind of new build?

One of my controllers is already drifting like crazy. Meanwhile, my 5-year-old DS4 is still working perfectly.
Yes mate there has been a small revision under the radar for the three new daulsense colours with stronger springs and improved stick drift. Of course just like the fix with the analog sticks pealing on the DS4 controllers, it hasn't been made official.

K1Vvm3n.jpg

I bought two purple controllers and the triggers felt stronger and the analog sticks feel firmer with no wobble. Two white daulsense's broke on me and I sold the replacement along with a red daulsense.

Last edited:

WitchHunter

It's time for Sony to buy those companies that dare to allocate wafer space from TSMC, therefore hindering the PS5 manufacturing process. And just drop them in the graveyard like google does with promising tech. Or someone should find the wafer eating monster lurking in the shadows and feed it something else, like used cars.

If this reduces the likelihood of coil whine then I'm excited. I returned two PS5 systems near launch and I've been patiently waiting for Sony to care about the issue and for fanboys to stop going after every gamer that has experienced this.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
That's exactly what they did, please at least do some research if you are going to debate a point.

Good point. But the upgrade did nothing special for games other than what I stated. You need a completely new architecture if you are going to hope on getting PC-like performance with full on RT and a Pro isn't going to do it. End of story.

There is nothing stopping console manufactures from creating a more powerful console with better RT acceleration. The PS4 Pro took features from newer GCN revisions and it worked just fine, so I see no reason they cannot do the same for RDNA 3. Once again I am not certain if they will actually do it though.
I would be surprised if they wasted the time doing it tbh.

Lastly calling me a console warrior is a laugh, I likely have a better PC then you do (which I just finished Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters on).
I doubt that.

Three

Imagine if Sony secretly included the Cell processor in the motherboard to have full backwards compatibility with PS3, PS2 and PS1…

I would buy it for 599$
The Cell will be in the PSVR2 breakout box.

jk it will be a Sega 32x attachment that fits into the PCIE x4 NVME slot on top of the console

David B

An Idiot
Yes mate there has been a small revision under the radar for the three new daulsense colours with stronger springs and improved stick drift. Of course just like the fix with the analog sticks pealing on the DS4 controllers, it hasn't been made official.

K1Vvm3n.jpg

I bought two purple controllers and the triggers felt stronger and the analog sticks feel firmer with no wobble. Two white daulsense's broke on me and I sold the replacement along with a red daulsense.

I can respond by saying I absolutely hate the PS5 controller. It's way too big. The stretch between the triggers and the sticks is way too far and hurts my hands. I'm a smaller man 5 feet 3 inches. So my hands are as small as most women. The Xbox Series controller wow is excellent best ever.

Top Bottom