• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looks like a new PS5 model is coming soon

kyliethicc

Seems a 2nd revision is coming. PS5 CFI-1200 model spotted in Japan.

Unclear yet what will be different.

Last year it was reported that Sony and AMD would be moving the PS5’s SoC onto TSMC’s N6 process. Apparently coming in 2022. Sony recently said they expect to produce more PS5s this year. Could be tied to this new revision.

Sony CFO even said in their recent report - “we have changed our source of procurement and also changed our design.”

Last gen was similar. The CUH-1200 model PS4 was introduced in 2015 with 2 main changes: reduced power consumption and a slightly different look. The 1200 model PS4 began shipping around June 2015 in Japan.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
As long as they don't take away backwards compatibility........................

---------------------------

Honestly, with the kinda enemic AAA releases, I've not been in a rush to pick up either console. There's still to have any "must-play" exclusives so I don't mind waiting for a "Pro Model" But I do look forward to one. I'd like a revision of the console itself, not just it's guts, as I'm not really enthusiastic about it's look.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Maybe these are 6nm PS5's.
Agreed, more than likely 6nm. Not really sure how they can bust out an additional 54% more any other way.
And could explain why last quarter PS5 shipment was so low. Sony said it would be too.

They may have stopped ordering 7nm wafers and moved onto 6.

They did say they’re confident that they can produce at least 18 million PS5s by end of March 2023.

kyliethicc

the Cell processor
Jim Ryan

i dont know her mariah carey GIF

This is not the PS5 Pro. It is the second revision of the existing hardware. The first one changed the heatsink. Current PS5's are made on a 7nm die. This is a 6nm die. The likely intent here is to increase available production by switching to a die that is not as high in demand.

You don't think the 6NM die will be in high demand? Microsoft has already been rumored to be going for a die shrink.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
We are still probably at least a year out from a slim or Pro revision, right?
Probably. PS5 is big as fuck because the hardware is not easy to make, so a Slim version should also be delayed too

We still have cross gen games as a normal thing two years later, so a Pro version should take more time than that

Smether

Although I do believe a PS5 pro is coming, I much more inclined to think this is the move to 6nm. Sony just wants to ship as many units as possible.

MrA

Banned
Not initially and it depends on specifications from other companies. Switching dies might ease the burden on 7nm dies for other companies
Maybe they'll keep the 7nm going and add 6nm as well just to increase availability, regardless i think a simpler board design and maybe they'll simplify the case as well (current one is way to complicated) but not a big enough revision to call it a slim

Varteras

Gold Member
Maybe they'll keep the 7nm going and add 6nm as well just to increase availability, regardless i think a simpler board design and maybe they'll simplify the case as well (current one is way to complicated) but not a big enough revision to call it a slim
Nah. Switching to 6nm improves output. For every wafer they create, they can create about 130 dies at 7nm. They can make about 150 dies at 6nm. So by switching to 6nm, for every 100,000 wafers they can get 2 million more dies. Switching to 6nm, especially if other companies are sticking to 7nm dies, which I believe are cheaper anyways, will be a good enough uptick in production. Sony is already expecting to ship (and thus sell) 56% more consoles this fiscal year. Which will be 18 million. That's almost as many PS5s in the next 12 months as there have been in the first 18 months. And I'm going to guess they're making moves to try and ensure the next fiscal year has at least the same amount. By 2024 we should see production seriously increase and supply begin meeting demand.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i'm waiting patiently for a PS5 Slim. the wait is made easier by lack of interesting PS5 exclusives. when a Slim model comes out I will buy one just so I can retire my PS4 Slim and I'll keep playing Bloodborne and Persona 5.

Varteras

Gold Member

Sounds like this is definitely part of Sony's expected uptick in PS5 availability this fiscal year. The CFO also claims they've changed who is making PS5s for them.

I know this was already pointed out in the OP but I think the fact that they have changed their source of procurement isn't something that should be overlooked.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

Although I do believe a PS5 pro is coming, I much more inclined to think this is the move to 6nm. Sony just wants to ship as many units as possible.
Yeah just like the PS6 is eventually coming. This 6nm is not the reason for the Pro. The supply and adoption rate of the PS5 is still in struggle town. You're looking at end of 2024 at best for the Pro.

NikuNashi

Anyone thinking you are getting a slim revision anytime soon are deluded. Once PS5's are readily available in stores and sitting then from that date add 1-1.5 years and you might see one. There is no incentive to make a slim version now as they sell out in seconds.

Oh also for the folks 'in no rush', the consoles been out for over a year and a half, I would hardly call that rushing! By the time you guys buy one we will be prepping for PS6 at this rate.

As for the old no games line.

Demons Souls
Ratchet and Clank
Horizon FW
GT7
Sackboy
Returnal
Spiderman Miles Morales

That's 3-6months worth of games there before GOW comes out this year.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Let's go bbe.

Maybe this will help increase yields and ultimately help sony turn more of a profit on the box. Second half of 2022 looks like its gonna be the big turn around for ps5.

skit_data

Probably just a minor revision, maybe they change the glossy inner part to a more matte black finish and a version with bigger SSD similar to the PS4 revision

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Sounds like this is definitely part of Sony's expected uptick in PS5 availability this fiscal year. The CFO also claims they've changed who is making PS5s for them.

I know this was already pointed out in the OP but I think the fact that they have changed their source of procurement isn't something that should be overlooked.

Just means they’re using some different parts or different factories for assembly.

Obviously the heart of the PS5 - the SoC - remains made by AMD via TSMC.

Last edited:

night13x

My sources tell me that this revision will actually be a "ultra" model with a gpu comparable to a rtx 3080ti. However, short supply will be available and sony expects all pre-orders to be presold by bots. Please check your ebay. Please be excited.

Does come with a free copy of suprise release knack 3 though.

Top Bottom