• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lone Echo / Echo Arena |OT| Ender's Game + Ultimate Frisbee + Tron + Quidditch

Putosaure

Game is really great. I'm satisfied to get what I had for the entry fee, and I just
entered the anomaly vessel
. Guess I'm stuck, it means I need to take a break and come back later ! :)
The vessel emergence sequence
was AMAZING.

Lakuza

IGN Review

Game got an 8.9. Nice!

Great game, and Echo Arena is my top 3 favorite multiplayer VR games thus far.

oh wow, surprised to see a review :) Hopefully more start reviewing it too.
I think 8.9 is a fitting score for the game, big steps for vr and the potential upgrades/ improvements in the sequel are huge.

charpunk

Finally got back to playing the single player over the last two nights, and holy shit it's incredible. Ready at Dawn did such a great job with this. Hit a plot twist that was the coolest moment I've had in VR since launch.

Finished it last night. Incredible experience.

Disappointed there hasn't been more coverage though, it feels like a fairly big leap for VR and proof long form games can exist in this space without the need to limit the player's movement (the opposite in fact).

I'd also say the player's relationship with Liv is one of the most satisfying I've come across in gaming for a long while.

charpunk

Finished it last night. Incredible experience.

Disappointed there hasn't been more coverage though, it feels like a fairly big leap for VR and proof long form games can exist in this space without the need to limit the player's movement (the opposite in fact).

I'd also say the player's relationship with Liv is one of the most satisfying I've come across in gaming for a long while.

i just started fixing the ai in the alien looking ship
approx how much longer do you think I have?

Izuna

Banned
I really want this game but...

Is there any chance it comes to Steam? I wanna gameshare with my brother.

Lakuza

I never realised this but Liv responds to hand gestures like thumbs up etc. :O

i just started fixing the ai in the alien looking ship
approx how much longer do you think I have?

You probably have an hour or 2 max before the end i think.

Always use the wrist straps with Echo Arena. I learned this the hard way after I forgot I was holding the Touch controllers and opened my hand to catch the disk, sending my controller flying 8 feet into my ceiling. Still working like a champ though.

Putosaure

Biomasses
are a pain in the ass. Especially the
cock shaped one that push you away.
Trying to find my way between all this is starting to look like a graveyard. Why do there need to be
radiation
on top of that ? :(

Feels like the first VR game as horribly wrong as that is and sounds. Incomparable experience so far, RAD gets it and some. Perhaps I would say they were meant for VR.
I find it similar to how Guerilla games went from making a less than stellar Killzone to making a potential GOTY with HZD. This game really deserves a ton of attention for what it accomplishes in such a tight and concise package. It drips with atmosphere and immersive details. Really next level VR stuff going on here. And by the way, echo arena is the bees knees man.

Just finished the single player today. Man, what an awesome game from start to finish. I want to go back and find all the service bots and audio logs I missed.

Lakuza

Biomasses
are a pain in the ass. Especially the
cock shaped one that push you away.
Trying to find my way between all this is starting to look like a graveyard. Why do there need to be
radiation
on top of that ? :(

I enjoyed those sections, added some needed stress to the game :D Even better is propelling yourself from one of those corridors to the other whilst boosting to max speed.

I find the
exploding growths/penis easier to deal with if you laser it up. overheats them and explodes them allowing you to pass through (whilst taking some radiation). Otherwise boosting past them before they can explode works too.

Putosaure

Finished the game in less than 6 hours if I check the save slots timer. It was a great experience, and the story was neat. I was expecting this twist from the moment you realize
the ship is somehow human
, but it was alright. I was excited as a 8 years old when
I was about to launch FTL, little disappointment not to get in a random part of the universe. The ending comes a little bit abruptly,
but a great experience nontheless. Everybody have to try it out !

NimbusD

How is this game doing in terms of playerbase?
Never have trouble finding a match, at least not since launch day where the servers where fucked.

Tho... Are matches ever supposed to be more than 3 on 3? Not sure if I've seen that yet, tho I haven't played super a lot.

Hoping for more courses eventually.

Lakuza

Finally got round to playing echo arena last night. kept getting matched against the same group of people (about 7-8 others so there was some slight variation atleast).

I already knew about launching/jousting from what I've read online so was able to understand that quickly but pulling it off reliably is another thing. I did manage to win 2 jousts out of 6-7 games I played XD On the downside the matchmaking is awkward, my very first game I was placed in a match against 2 lv40+ and 1 lv17 and theres only one other player on my team who was lv40 himself so I was completely useless lol.

This game really gets me spinning in comparison to lone echo, I lost my orientation to be facing forward constantly. Need to keep my feet fixed and rely on quick turns more so i dont punch the wall.

New update coming out for both games. The most important part is that it adds proper skill based match making to echo arena:

https://medium.com/echo-games-blog/draft-aug-10-2017-change-log-94cd76beb7a2

They've also fixed the framerate death that happens when you exit the space station for the first time

This is fantastic! Is that frame rate issue in the SP? When I first got to the mining area I had to put the headset down for awhile because things were so unstable it made me nauseated

Lakuza

This is fantastic! Is that frame rate issue in the SP? When I first got to the mining area I had to put the headset down for awhile because things were so unstable it made me nauseated

yeah that entire open area was causing issues for some players. For me it was only a problem the first time I entered the open space, after reloading it never happened again. Still, this should make it playable now for everyone else :)

Wow, just finished it. Excellent experience. I think it must be the combination of good voice acting, facial animation, writing and VR, but I felt more of a connection with Liv than I have with most other characters in games that I spent a lot more time with. There's just something about having a character right there in front of you that makes a huge difference.
It hit me most when we got separated and I lost her for awhile. The feeling of relief and joy when we were finally reunited. Then the feeling of loss again when she was losing oxygen. The ending (while abrupt, left the door wide open for what could be a very cool sequel story wise.
While the length was short, I enjoyed every moment of being in that world. One of the best experiences I've had in VR.

Lakuza

Wow, just finished it. Excellent experience. I think it must be the combination of good voice acting, facial animation, writing and VR, but I felt more of a connection with Liv than I have with most other characters in games that I spent a lot more time with. There's just something about having a character right there in front of you that makes a huge difference.
It hit me most when we got separated and I lost her for awhile. The feeling of relief and joy when we were finally reunited. Then the feeling of loss again when she was losing oxygen. The ending (while abrupt, left the door wide open for what could be a very cool sequel story wise.
While the length was short, I enjoyed every moment of being in that world. One of the best experiences I've had in VR.

The oxygen part was definately more intense thanks to vr, I didn't know if the game wanted me to stop trying to bring her back but I kept trying again and again because I wanted to. Then during the end part when the ship jumps in time, I felt the need to hang on to her and make sure she wasn't lost in the process in case the game would have her seperated again if you didn't XD

Whatever you do, no matter how tempted you might be, don't use the (non-story based spoiler)
extreme drifter. The name is well earned. If your hand is pointing even slightly off axis when you pull that trigger - WHOOSH -
vomit comet

Lakuza

Whatever you do, no matter how tempted you might be, don't use the (non-story based spoiler)
extreme drifter. The name is well earned. If your hand is pointing even slightly off axis when you pull that trigger - WHOOSH -
vomit comet

I loved using that :D Spent atleast an hour
flying that around to test my limits (turns out I could handle it for that duration perfeclty fine complete with barrel rolls). I unfortunately placed it on top of a roof and it fell through the roof so I could never use it again (even when loading it would be just below the surface of the roof lol).

I also wished they could have made use of the hammers and drill like gun for the story, those were fun to use for breaking random floating rocks.

The oxygen part was definately more intense thanks to vr, I didn't know if the game wanted me to stop trying to bring her back but I kept trying again and again because I wanted to. Then during the end part when the ship jumps in time, I felt the need to hang on to her and make sure she wasn't lost in the process in case the game would have her seperated again if you didn't XD

yeah, I'm curious what would have happened if I didn't keep trying. I'll have to give that a try next time. I was also hanging on to her as we were trying to make it to the bridge and she kept losing consciousness. I just wanted her to make it and I was expecting the story kill her in order to draw an emotional response. Glad I was wrong about that. I was also wrong as I didn't trust Apollo and thought that maybe the humans from the future spread the infection in order to stop a rougue AI.

I don't have Lone Echo yet, but played a game of Echo Arena... is this the norm? I was watching my son play it and I just busted out laughing.

Echo_tickle.gif

fluffthetiger

Neo Member
Ah I found the proper thread for this. Now that I am outside the space station the game has become a super addictive walking simulator ( er, actually floating I know ) and reminds me a lot of Firewatch With the dialogue.

As I better with the controls there is something very satisfying about flying past a space structure and slowing down at just the right time to catch it and hang on. I kind of wish that they had modelled the hand scraping across surfaces to slow yourself down and redirect your character to add another element of control but that would probably not be realistic and cause motion sickness.

Kind of shocked how good it is, such a same it didn't get reviewed by more major sites as its head and shoulders above other VR games.

Lakuza

Ah I found the proper thread for this. Now that I am outside the space station the game has become a super addictive walking simulator ( er, actually floating I know ) and reminds me a lot of Firewatch With the dialogue.

As I better with the controls there is something very satisfying about flying past a space structure and slowing down at just the right time to catch it and hang on. I kind of wish that they had modelled the hand scraping across surfaces to slow yourself down and redirect your character to add another element of control but that would probably not be realistic and cause motion sickness.

Kind of shocked how good it is, such a same it didn't get reviewed by more major sites as its head and shoulders above other VR games.

yeah, its a game that I think anyone interested in vr should experience. Its also a shame that people will remember ready at dawn for Order 1886 since outside VR circles, games like Lone Echo are kinda unknown.

Also be sure to find this outside the space station, it lets you fly manually at transport ship speed (may cause motion sickness for some though so use with caution):
So I just saw this on reddit, its a hidden device that lets you boost around the space station as alternative to the fury. Only for players who can handle it since you'll be doing tons of barrel rolls with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_cy_zUUTmo

You can die from boosting too hard into a wall too

If you find yourself disorientated after using it and you dont have the option enabled, you can correct your rotational position by enabling the advance control scheme via the options menu.

Lakuza

Also for anyone unaware: a sequel to Lone Echo has been announced, alongside a new multiplayer counterpart: Echo Combat.

Echo Combat will be a multiplayer first person shooter using the movement mechanics of Lone echo (and being tied to the universe of the 2 games). This also implies that Lone Echo 2 could have some first person shooter elements added to the mix too (completely speculative though).

Also, for clarification, its still unclear whether the sequel is Lone Echo 2 or a dlc expansion. All they announced is that the "Lone Echo's story will continue", when they revealed Echo Arena at the oculus conference.

NimbusD

Really liked echo arena, I'll give it another shot. I had to bow out due to the community getting too toxic too quickly due to no/barely any MMR.
Also reminds me I gotta finish lone echo.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
HOLY FUCKING SHIT i just got this game
what the actual fuck all other vr games are trash compared to this game (besides robo recall)

i can't believe this stuff this is mario 64 all over again.
my brain is still adjusting to this magic.

i am legit try to grab my desk irl to move around

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Yup, its not an overstatement to say it is the best VR game released so far.

Top Bottom