• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

London riots spreading through UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the Guardian and read it every day, but this 'main story' about their riots study needs to be nuked from orbit. Asking chavs why they looted shops, them blaming the police (THE FUCKING POLICE? HUH?), and them putting it up as a big headline?

They've had a fair amount of terrible stuff on there lately. The interview with Philip Seymour Hoffman was a travesty, then the interview with Johnny Depp (where the interviewer criticised him for not wanting to pay taxes in France - taxes which would actually amount to a ludicrous amount and hugely disproportionate to how long he's in the country)...

Chinner

Banned
well i think it's a pretty interesting idea. journalism is all about sourcing, getting different perspectives and all that kind of shit. i mean if you think they ( the SCUM) are talking shit fair then enough, but the fact that guardian is trying trying to focus it and give a perspective we haven't seen before is something that i respect.

Bleepey

I think the last option is sort of bred or justified from a mix of the first two as well. An element of resentment and antagonistic disregard for the system which they feel has let them down hence breeding the, yea, why not attitude. But sure, lets not research and ask the people involved in these things why they did it and just make it up ourselves. Great idea.

Please don't make excuses for them. The police IMO were too soft and far from heavy handed, if the police started cracking skulls like Judge Dredd this shit would not have happened. All i know is next time a dickhead or two acts up and gets their ass beat i pray the newspapers don't try to make a martyr out of them. It had nothing to do with the police it was selfish, irresponsible cunts who saw other people acting up and thought they could join in and get away with it and were smashing up their own fucking neighbourhoods. Hurhhh?! I remember this motherfucker:

186537_1380102142_4393253_n.jpg

Who claimed the riots were fixing broken britain. Shame i can't find a screeenshot from his fb.

nib95

Banned
Please don't make excuses for them. The police IMO were too soft and far from heavy handed, if the police started cracking skulls like Judge Dredd this shit would not have happened. All i know is next time a dickhead or two acts up and gets their ass beat i pray the newspapers don't try to make a martyr out of them. It had nothing to do with the police it was selfish, irresponsible cunts who saw other people acting up and thought they could join in and get away with it and were smashing up their own fucking neighbourhoods. Hurhhh?! I remember this motherfucker:

186537_1380102142_4393253_n.jpg

Who claimed the riots were fixing broken britain. Shame i can't find a screeenshot from his fb.

I seriously hope knee jerk reactions such as yours do not lead to a more heavy handed approach. Last thing I want to see is Britain turn in to more of a police state akin to what we've seen in the US, Israel and Arab countries of late.

Always amuses me how these illiterate fucks try to come up with a political reason for the riots.

Then they go and say "It felt good blud, like Call of Duty, you get me fam".

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I seriously hope knee jerk reactions such as yours do not lead to a more heavy handed approach. Last thing I want to see is Britain turn in to more of a police state akin to what we've seen in the US, Israel and Arab countries of late.

Says one of the most heavily surveillanced nations on the planet. (edit: THE most surveilled country?) The amount of CCTV cameras in the UK would embarrass the US. Not even about us and them... but the UK is just as much on the police state road as America (I'm not American btw).

Bleepey

How is it heavy-handed, you break the law, you act like a dickhead, you get punished.

SmokyDave

Someone needs to ask those goons for their nuanced opinions on political matters that they haven't been coached on. Should be good for a laugh.

Is it really a 'knee-jerk reaction' months later?

nib95

Banned
How is it heavy-handed, you break the law, you act like a dickhead, you get punished.

Knee jerk Heavy handed is rushing or changing the legal system to speed through convictions which could potentially destroy lives, innocent included. Add to that, increasing sentencing, removing benefits etc. Pointless exercises that just antagonise things further, not less. There's enough evidence out there to show that the UK prison system does sweet F A to deter repeat offenders and often even makes them worse!

And when I say knee jerk it's not just referring to a time span, but also being limited to a specific event. A lot of these changes were ushered through specific to this case but the repercussions of which are much graver and inflict on wider liberties.

Knee jerk reactions to singular events often lead to a terrible outlay of amended law, just look at 9/11 as a prime example, especially with how it corrupted US law and impeded on human rights for the worse. It even filtered through to UK politics. Fact that anyone can be detained and imprisoned for a stupid amount of time (40 days?) without trial or reason simply on suspicion of terrorism is farcical. Fact that a recent Police list had Occupy St Pauls protestors listed in the same light as Terrorists is a joke too.

Point is, the current (and past government) is trying to steer us towards a more US style set of laws and government control/dominance. We need to ensure we stand against that sort of change. Right now the balance is still a relatively fair one in the UK where if we strongly disagree with something we can still amass to stand against it with more clout than many nations (countless protests and riots over the year have shown this), and strike a bit of fear of forced acknowledgement in to the government or police, and that's exactly how it should be. The government after all is working for US, not the other way around.

Bleepey

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...mits-killing-pensioner-London-riots-2012.html

Killer: Darrell Desuze can now be identified as the rioter who punched Richard Mannington Bowes to the ground
This is the 17-year-old rioter who killed a 'hero' bystander as he tried to put out fires at the height of last summer’s riots.
Powerfully built Darrel Desuze, known to his friends as 'Smokey', punched Richard Mannington Bowes, 68, knocking him to the ground and leaving him with brain damage after he banged his head on the pavement in Haven Green, Ealing, west London.
The 68-year-old was attacked at about 10.30pm on August 8 after being surrounded by a group of youths. He never regained consciousness and died in hospital three days later.
The photograph of Mr Mannington Bowes' unconscious body lying unconscious on the pavement became one of the most shocking images of last summer's riots.
Desuze, who admitted manslaughter and violent disorder but denied murder, can now be named after an order banning his identification was lifted at Inner London Crown Court.
Brian Altman, QC, prosecuting, today announced that his pleas were acceptable to the Crown.
Mr Justice Saunders then lifted an order previously banning publication of his name.
The killer, of Hounslow, west London, previously admitted burgling an Ealing branch of Tesco Express, William Hill bookmakers, a Thai restaurant called Fat Boys, and a Blockbuster store.
His mother Lavinia Desuze, 31, is to stand trial accused of perverting the course of justice by hampering the police investigation into Mr Bowes’ death next week.
Lavinia, a student at South Bank University, is alleged to have destroyed and disposed of clothing her son wore, and an Adidas bag, on the night of the attack
She remained in the dock next to her son today as Mr Altman opened the case.
Among those seated in the public gallery at Inner London Crown Court today was Mr Mannington Bowes’ sister Anne Wilderspin, from Matlock Bath, Derbyshire.

Read more:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ensioner-London-riots-2012.html#ixzz1p0JMEPk6

Bleepey

If i knew a family member of mine did such fucked up shit i'd report them nto try to get them off. Fuuuuuck.

I know this guy. Have known it was him for a while but haven't been allowed to talk about it. Real shame.

How well do you know him, can you give a bit more of an insight into it and his mother if you can/

jorma

is now taking requests
So, he's 17 and his mum is 31, meaning she was 14 when she had him.

Huh. I wonder where his life went wrong. Hopefully mummy will be joining him behind bars.

so you find that adidas bag and the clothes that makes you realise that your own son is involved in the killing of an old man

what do you do?

Personally, there is zero chance i turn anyone in my immediate family in for anything less than genocide.

SmokyDave

so you find that adidas bag and the clothes that makes you realise that your own son is involved in the killing of an old man

what do you do?

Personally, there is zero chance i turn anyone in my immediate family in for anything less than genocide.

1; Kill him for being fucking scum.

2; Kill myself and the mother for raising fucking scum.

There's "I kicked a ball through a window Dad" and then there's "I punched a 68 year old man to death for trying to extinguish a fire". The latter is totally unforgivable.

Bleepey

There's "I kicked a ball through a window Dad" and then there's "I punched a 68 year old man to death for trying to extinguish a fire". The latter is totally unforgivable.

The only reason i would have to not report my child would be the shame that would arise as a result of it being public knowledge i raised such a piece of shit.

jorma

is now taking requests

I'm pretty sure these are all lies and actually not true.

I'll reserve my sympathies for the pensioner that he killed. A pensioner that was attempting to put out a fire for the good of his community.

I meant that it was a real shame that he did this. He should have known better. My sympathies are definitely with the family of the victim.

How well do you know him, can you give a bit more of an insight into it and his mother if you can/

I have met him quite a few times, he went to my old school and I saw him a fair bit. We shared a few mutual (albeit not close) friends and he was even in a class of mine for a few months iirc. He was definitely into the wrong crowd and it was obvious even to me that he was quite a shady character but I had never expected anything like this. I didn't know his mother though. I'll try to give more insight later if anyone has any questions.

I imagine you cant talk about the specifics of the crime? Did you sign something? What can you tell us about him

I wasn't asked to sign anything. It was just a general consensus that it wouldn't be wise to speak of the incident until his name was revealed. Like I said, I wasn't close to him but we met and talked a few times. He seemed quiet and was resistant to authority for the most part - but he never seemed violent to me until I found out about this incident. I remember hearing about a man who killed in Ealing and thinking of how much of an atrocity it was, only to return home from holiday and find out it was him. Crazy stuff.

SmokyDave

I meant that it was a real shame that he did this. He should have known better. My sympathies are definitely with the family of the victim.
Ah, I see. Hard to know better when your mum is only 14 years older than you.

I'm pretty sure these are all lies and actually not true.

I have close family that I'm not in contact with because of their 'lifestyle choices'. I'm not fussed if you doubt me.

Student Ashraf Rossli's muggers jailed

Two men have been jailed for robbing a Malaysian student as they pretended to help him during the riots in London.

Ashraf Rossli, 20, had been in the UK for just a month when he was attacked on 8 August in Barking, east London.

As he lay injured, John Kafunda and Reece Donovan, of east London, stole items from his bag. Both had been found guilty of robbery and violent disorder.

Kafunda, 22, was jailed for four years and three months and Donovan, 24, received a five-year sentence.

Video here, in case you need reminding: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15232750

Jme

Awesome to hear some justice finally being brought to these assholes.

SmokyDave said:
So, he's 17 and his mum is 31, meaning she was 14 when she had him.

Huh. I wonder where his life went wrong. Hopefully mummy will be joining him behind bars.

I know that teen parents aren't always a shining example, but as a 29yo with a 14yo child - who I'm fairly certain won't be murdering anyone - I can't help but take a little offense to blanket statements like this.

I'm not saying that I don't think her age didn't play a role in his shitty upbringing. I'm saying it's not always the case, and there are some people who deal with a bad situation (teen pregnancy) in a good way (like, complete school, get jobs, and raise the child in a positive environment).

SmokyDave

Awesome to hear some justice finally being brought to these assholes.

I know that teen parents aren't always a shining example, but as a 29yo with a 14yo child - who I'm fairly certain won't be murdering anyone - I can't help but take a little offense to blanket statements like this.

I'm not saying that I don't think her age didn't play a role in his shitty upbringing. I'm saying it's not always the case, and there are some people who deal with a bad situation (teen pregnancy) in a good way (like, complete school, get jobs, and raise the child in a positive environment).

I know some successful single parents in a similar situation so I understand it isn't applicable to everyone, but, it just doesn't surprise me to see such a small age gap in cases like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom