• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LOL: Half-Life: Alyx New Mod Allows Game to Be Played Without VR Headset ---- [IT ONLY TOOK 5 DAYS]

Except they are not 2d games. lol
They are 3D rendered, however they are designed and meant to be experienced on a 2D plane.

This is like trying to explain 3D to a being that can only experience the world in 2D, you're not getting it.

In VR you're in the 3D plane, you control and experience within the 3D plane. This method of control and experiences is not possible while experiencing it outside of it.

Keihart

but-why.gif

I've been playing the game these couple of days, like 1 or 2 hours a day, and to be frank, i've though about this game being not in VR and it would be a pretty mediocre game. Your would be probably more entertained playing Black Mesa.

In VR tho, it hits various milestones iterating on things learned through the generation about VR games. It has amazing performance as well. Reloading your gun manually and dodging head crabs by actually getting out of the way are some of the things that make the combat worthwhile for example.

Making VR native games playable without it it's as lame as making non VR games playable in VR without reworking the entire systems.

i'll swap to mouse and keyboard controls...

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
That's understandable. I've had all Oculus headsets since 2013 and always sold em. But half-life makes me repurchase S. That game is worth 400$ to spend on a very good headset. The feeling of being inside is great.
It's no hl2 for sure but it's just something else and new

Yeah but that 400 dollars could buy a PS4 pro and that gives me dozens of games to play that are way more interesting than corny looking VR games that all look like it could be played just as easily as a controller.

Everyone I know with a VR headset talk's so much shit about it, that it's the future yet all they do is let it collect dust for weeks or months on end, talk about how much that every game would benefit from VR and then acting like their expensive paperweight is worth pushing on others.

Shit, I got buying dance pads, donkey Kong bongos and guitar hero controllers, end even the steel battalion cock pit back in the day because they enabled experience's that just couldn't be matched with a controller. Every VR "experience" just looks like hot garbage.

rofif

Banned
Yeah but that 400 dollars could buy a PS4 pro and that gives me dozens of games to play that are way more interesting than corny looking VR games that all look like it could be played just as easily as a controller.

Everyone I know with a VR headset talk's so much shit about it, that it's the future yet all they do is let it collect dust for weeks or months on end, talk about how much that every game would benefit from VR and then acting like their expensive paperweight is worth pushing on others.

Shit, I got buying dance pads, donkey Kong bongos and guitar hero controllers, end even the steel battalion cock pit back in the day because they enabled experience's that just couldn't be matched with a controller. Every VR "experience" just looks like hot garbage.
It's a real deal not like the gadget's you describe. The selection of great games is indeed small but I've seen people but consoles for bloodborne alone.
I've always sold vr because it was a gimmick for me. But now with alyx I am sold again

VN1X

Banned
No, but the controllers are part of the ~200 price. You want to be in VR yet have it play as in the video in this thread with mkb?
Ah no thought it might be possible to play that way. Genuine question that was believe it or not!

But yeah VR is still a long ways off for me to even consider it. The units are too big and having to 'set it up' every time seems like a hassle. Maybe once they shrink the units down to the size of normal glasses and and it doesn't require any additional sensors then I'll jump on board for sure.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
You don't have to set them up every time, do you build your PC every play? And already kits like Rift S (which for some people does require setting up frequently, it's a bug though, normally it saves your play space) and the cheap WMR suggested to you don't require additional sensors.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

rofif

Banned
You don't have to set them up every time, do you build your PC every play? And already kits like Rift S (which for some people does require setting up frequently, it's a bug though, normally it saves your play space) and the cheap WMR suggested to you don't require additional sensors.
yeah. Setting boundaries in rift S is great. You just draw your borders in passthrough+ mode and touch the floor. setup DONE.

Romulus

When I hear people talk about VR across the internet, it's so out of touch. Its like they played some 2013 dev kit VR headset and just assumed it didn't get better since then. I just imagine dozens of wires and some massive headset that takes forever to setup. I can set my VR up almost as fast as my audio headset and controller on console, its maybe 8 seconds longer. Not to mention the Rift S is super comfy and I can wear it for hours on end with no issues.

Last edited:
just a friendly reminder to VR users in this thread
don't fucking gatekeep that shit let people do what the hell they want ..

thank you..

or you might come off as those DARK SOULS SHOULD NEVER GET AN EASY MODE guys.
don't be like that...
I was with you... until you brought up Dark Souls like that and.... nah man. Dark Souls doesn't need an easy mode.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
just a friendly reminder to VR users in this thread
don't fucking gatekeep that shit let people do what the hell they want ..

thank you..

or you might come off as those DARK SOULS SHOULD NEVER GET AN EASY MODE guys.
don't be like that...
Do you also go in every first person game's thread to demand full VR support (head & hand tracking, room scale, etc.) as if that comes for free and doesn't require a full reworking and it's up to the user to not gatekeep it rather than the developer/publisher to want to do it (and invest)?

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Do you also go in every first person game's thread to demand full VR support (head & hand tracking, room scale, etc.) as if that comes for free and doesn't require a full reworking and it's up to the user to not gatekeep it rather than the developer/publisher to want to do it (and invest)?
why do you care? i don't

Nobody fucking cares how you play your game
Not your game. The game developer makes their game with their vision. If you don't like it don't buy it.

I don't go for games I don't like and expect them to change it for me. I can provide constructive criticism but that is a far cry from it being "my game."

Top Bottom