• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LOL: Half-Life: Alyx New Mod Allows Game to Be Played Without VR Headset ---- [IT ONLY TOOK 5 DAYS]

https://wccftech.com/half-life-alyx-new-mod-no-vr/

It didn't take very long. In just five days, Half-Life: Alyx has become playable without a VR headset and with mouse and keyboard controls.

The first Half-Life: Alyx is still very rough around the edges, as it uses Half-Life 2 models for weapons and jumping doesn't work properly. Still, this is a great way for those without a VR headset to enjoy the first entry in the series in a very long time.

For the mod to work, players will have to install these files and follow the instructions shared by Icedwhisper in a video that you can find below.
Launch Options: -novr -console -nocrashdialog -retail -allowdebug -vconport 29000 -vcon -dev -w 1920 -h 1080 -sv_autojump 1
Please make sure you add them AFTER the quotation marks!
There are some limitations to this, such as not being able to see the hands, which can be fixed by using the command: vr_enable_fake_vr_test 1
But by using this command, collisions get turned off and you are unable to walk on the floor.
You can also enable weapons by using the following command: impulse 101
I'm going to try and find ways to fix all these issues, until then, you're going to have to play like this! p.s: Some objects can't be interacted using this method, I'm trying to fix it and will post a video soon after I find a way to do it!
The release of a no VR Half-Life: Alyx mod was something that Valve anticipated. According to designer Robin Walker, no VR mods will make players understand why they made a VR game.

The answer to this diverges significantly depending on which members of the team you talk to, so this answer is definitely just from me. There are a set of people on the team that are concerned about that. Personally, I’m not concerned about it at all. It will clearly demonstrate to people why we did Half-Life: Alyx in VR. It will be a very crisp way of seeing all the stuff we got for the move into VR. If people play a modded version on a standard display and say this is is just as good, that will teach me a lot. I will realize I’m wrong, and we didn’t get as much as we thought, and I love to know whenever I’m wrong.
Half-Life: Alyx is now available on Steam.

Well, it really took long.

PC Modders remain undefeated

Neva lost

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Hey guyz, this is me in the 90s, you can play Time Crisis/Virtua Cop/House of the Dead/Point Blank on your own Saturn and PlayStation with a d-pad if you "can't afford" a lightgun, fun!

Hey guyz this is me in the new 20s, you can just watch a stupid streamer play a game for you if you can't afford to play it yourself, fun and it makes the streamer money so just go do it!

Not sure what the LOL is for? This is barely a mod, just enabling the functions left by Valve hence them knowing it will happen and doing nothing to prevent it because it's just irrelevant.

But sure, go buy the game just for this unenjoyable bs without VR so that it sells more and we get more VR games like it, from Valve and other companies that want in on the goodness!

Last edited:

nani17

are in a big trouble
This looks like fucking shit.

"See guys, it works. Oh wait my gun is gone. Let's enter 30 more things into the console. See, it totally works"

5 days what did you expect it will get better. Did a better job than fucking Anthem. Every so often I believe in disrespecting Anthem no matter what the topic.

"Babe you face looks like Anthem "

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
I'm not interested in VR. I'm old fashioned. Gimme a monitor and kb/m.
I'm not into trying out new things, I don't have to try something to see that I don't like it.
That's understandable. I've had all Oculus headsets since 2013 and always sold em. But half-life makes me repurchase S. That game is worth 400$ to spend on a very good headset. The feeling of being inside is great.
It's no hl2 for sure but it's just something else and new

Chun Swae

Banned
I think if they had weapons working this would be pretty much playable. I'm an owner of VR and I don't subscribe to the idea that vr games modded for non-vr is wrong, because when you boil it down VR is just head tracking + motion control. Head tracking can be replaced with the analog stick while replacing VR arms is harder.

nani17

are in a big trouble
You say gimmick like that has an intrinsic negative connotation.

gimmick
(Entry 1 of 2)

• b: an ingenious or novel mechanical device
  • 2a: an important feature that is not immediately apparent

Fail

hest.png

in terms of gaming yeah it's a gimmick like motion control was or 3D remember that years ago. Go get your 3D tv or monitor with your 3D Nvidia glasses and 3D games. How about your 3D movies even Jackass took the piss out of it

What?

This is a high quality game.

What is it about VR that makes people lose all sense of rationality?

If you don't want to or can't handle wearing a headset then move the fuck on and play something else that is suitable for you instead of behaving like a degenerate.
I'm interested in the game but I'm not interested in VR. I realize that it's a VR game.
What's so wrong in playing the game the way YOU want? That's the whole point of pc gaming, if you don't like something, you can always mod/tweak it.
Personally, I think VR is cancer. It's a gimmick like 3d and motion controls. But I got nothing against people who use VR. You do you and I'll do me.

Romulus

in terms of gaming yeah it's a gimmick like motion control was or 3D remember that years ago. Go get your 3D tv or monitor with your 3D Nvidia glasses and 3D games. How about your 3D movies even Jackass took the piss out of it

VR isn't a gimmick at all. I'm an on old-school KB mouse player that laughed at Wii, 3DTV, and Kinect. Those were gimmicks. VR has ultra hardcore flight and racing sims, and AAA exclusives(not just half life either). The only difference is you're inside the videogame with VR, everything is life-sized and has depth perception.

GHG

Gold Member
I'm interested in the game but I'm not interested in VR. I realize that it's a VR game.
What's so wrong in playing the game the way YOU want? That's the whole point of pc gaming, if you don't like something, you can always mod/tweak it.
Personally, I think VR is cancer. It's a gimmick like 3d and motion controls. But I got nothing against people who use VR. You do you and I'll do me.

Nah man I don't have an issue with you playing it however you want, however there are two fundamental issues at play here that need to be taken into consideration:
  • The game was not created to be played in 2D so the "quality" of said game while playing it via an unintended method is not a reflection of the games actual quality. A lot will be lost in translation so to speak.
  • If you buy the game to modit and play it in 2D then you are sending out the wrong message if you are "against" VR and it's growth. In doing so you are actually supporting a VR game and future VR projects, even if that wasn't your intention.
So play the modded game by all means, just don't go crying if your experience is pants compared to those playing it from the intended perspective. Also don't cry when the next game is also VR, you helped support it.

Last edited:
There's a fundamental differences here because this aids the mechanical depth of a game simply not possible in other ways.

There are things you can do with VR which are exclusively prohibited in a "2D" space. You're going to take a complex piece of software and have to radically tear it down and strip it to reach the levels of simplicity required to possibly play it.

I don't even see completing this game being possible outside of VR.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Nah man I don't have an issue with you playing it however you want however there are two fundamental issues at play here that need to be taken into consideration:
  • The game was not created to be played in 2D so the "quality" of said game while playing it via an unintended method is not a reflection of the games actual quality. A lot will be lost in translation so to speak.
  • If you buy the game to modit and play it in 2D then you are sending out the wrong message if you are "against" VR and it's growth. In doing so you are actually supporting a VR game and future VR projects, even if that wasn't your intention.
So play the modded game by all means, just don't go crying if your experience is pants compared to those playing it from the intended perspective. Also don't cry when the next game is also VR, you helped support it.
pretty sure he does not care.. so why do you?

Nah man I don't have an issue with you playing it however you want however there are two fundamental issues at play here that need to be taken into consideration:
They don't even know what's coming, anyone who has beat this is in on the implications, anyone who has not...

Well...

tom.png

GHG

Gold Member
pretty sure he does not care.. so why do you?

You missed the point, I'm actually agreeing with him from the perspective of "he can do him". I'm explaining the rationale behind my previous post which was in response to someone saying the "quality" of the game could be an issue after it's modded.

People act all kinds of dumb in VR threads and I can't understand it. I wish people would attack shit that's actually harmful to the medium as a whole like pay 2 win and microtransactions with the same level of energy.

There are so many more options for non-VR players than there are for people who want to game exclusively in VR. Let people enjoy their shit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom