• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"LOCKE & KEY" (Netflix) - Welcome to Lovecraft

For those interested, you can get Locke and Key, as well as Joe Hill's other work, on Humble Bundle this month.

Great deal, it is e-reader versions (ipad, Kindle, etc)

I bought the main Locke and Key volumes after Ailynn Ailynn said they were her favorite, and was blown away by how much I love them. I didn't know Dog Days, Heaven and Earth, and Small World were out there too, gonna buy those now. Need to check out The Cape and The Wraith

Admission:

I haven't gotten around to watching the show yet. I meant to when it launched but I just got side-tracked and it fell down my backlog

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
For those interested, you can get Locke and Key, as well as Joe Hill's other work, on Humble Bundle this month.

Great deal, it is e-reader versions (ipad, Kindle, etc)

I bought the main Locke and Key volumes after Ailynn Ailynn said they were her favorite, and was blown away by how much I love them. I didn't know Dog Days, Heaven and Earth, and Small World were out there too, gonna buy those now. Need to check out The Cape and The Wraith

Admission:

I haven't gotten around to watching the show yet. I meant to when it launched but I just got side-tracked and it fell down my backlog

Just a word of warning...if you watch the show, please go in with the lowest expectations you can muster, and be prepared for much of it to have been changed fairly drastically. :messenger_pensive:

I went ahead and bought the two side Locke and Key issues I didn’t have on comixology. We’re like 4 bucks total.

My subscription had The Cape covered and The Wraith: Welcome to Christmasland

was gonna do a binge read of Locke and Key before I finally watched the show anyway, so just more Joe Hill goodness to consume

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I went ahead and bought the two side Locke and Key issues I didn’t have on comixology. We’re like 4 bucks total.

My subscription had The Cape covered and The Wraith: Welcome to Christmasland

was gonna do a binge read of Locke and Key before I finally watched the show anyway, so just more Joe Hill goodness to consume

I haven't read the extra comics after the main series yet, but please let me know what you think! I trust your opinion completely. ❤

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I really liked the show! I finally watched it. I knew something was up with that boy... The way he wormed himself into Kinsey's good graces and agreed with everything she said or suggested. Kinsey went with him because he wasn't calling her out on her bs.

Otherwise, I agreed that sending Ellie out alone was stupid. Why DID she have the key with her? Freaking stupid. And those kids were dumb. Usually the youngest was the smartest ... But even HE didn't figure it out.

GymWolf

So is this thing any good, from the trailer it doesn't look better than retarded stuff from cw or similar networks.

Is it serious or light hearted?

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I really liked the show! I finally watched it. I knew something was up with that boy... The way he wormed himself into Kinsey's good graces and agreed with everything she said or suggested. Kinsey went with him because he wasn't calling her out on her bs.

Otherwise, I agreed that sending Ellie out alone was stupid. Why DID she have the key with her? Freaking stupid. And those kids were dumb. Usually the youngest was the smartest ... But even HE didn't figure it out.

So is this thing any good, from the trailer it doesn't look better than retarded stuff from cw or similar networks.

Is it serious or light hearted?

The graphic novels it is based off of can get very dark, but it is very intelligent and incredibly well done in all aspects. The show takes the base ideas from the source material, severely dumbs down the characters, makes several plot hole errors...and ultimately left me disappointed and a bit numb as a huge fan of the original material. :messenger_pensive:

For people who haven't read the graphic novels, it seems most people find it entertaining if they can ignore the problems. Even though I was let down by the show, there were still parts of it I found enjoyable. :)

Last edited:

Tenaciousmo

Just finished the show this week after finally getting around to it.

The changes here and there from the comics are not always for the better, but the the show is good (if not compared to the comic.) I am an extremely easy public to be honest
I was hoping for a darker tone considering initial material. Wish they kept how the head key's effect was originally portrayed, it felt more personal and intrusive than a simple door to walk through. Did i miss the part where dodge can't forcibly take a keys from the Lockes in the comic?

I would be interested to hear what plot hole you seem to be having problems are, maybe I was auto-filling those with prior knowledge of the books.

Mato

I watched this show awhile back and thought it was ok. Surprisingly, the last episode dispelled all the tension and I got my closure, so I don't really feel like watching a season 2.

Top Bottom