• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LittleBigPlanet Official Thread: Live in your world, play in ours.

darkwing

13268storystory_full-9289951..jpg

LOZLINK

Just got it, if anyone wants to play with an australian, drop an invite
LOZLINKSW

That said, this game is enormous amounts of fun :D

Mikey Jr.

Hey guys.

Just a few questions.

1. Ok, I am literally starting making my first level ever so I'm learning from scratch. I'm learning from playing other peoples levels, and trying to mimic the ideas in there. Problem is that I cant copy the levels, so its hard to see how they actually work.

Any websites or anything that have guides on creating? Somewhere I can go and just learn?

2. Any way to create magnets. I want to create a crane that picks up and drops boxes. Any way to create that? I really dont want to use the pincers type, but more of a magnet type.

They should include magnets in LBP2, that would be sweet.

Ranger X

Mikey Jr. said:
Hey guys.

Just a few questions.

1. Ok, I am literally starting making my first level ever so I'm learning from scratch. I'm learning from playing other peoples levels, and trying to mimic the ideas in there. Problem is that I cant copy the levels, so its hard to see how they actually work.

Any websites or anything that have guides on creating? Somewhere I can go and just learn?

2. Any way to create magnets. I want to create a crane that picks up and drops boxes. Any way to create that? I really dont want to use the pincers type, but more of a magnet type.

They should include magnets in LBP2, that would be sweet.

First, did you follow all the tutorials in the game?
When in create mode, what for "?" signs for tutorials besides the different icons in the poppit too. Knowing about this all will help you get started. After you're done with that, experimentation is the key. If you try to reproduce the best level out there you might end up discouraged. Those guys you see create amazing things did start small, experimenting and they gradually upped their game. You should do the same.

The game doesn't have magnets. Also, there's no effective way to recreate magnet behavior. I can see a way for a crane to take something and look like it's a magnet though. With at least a 2 layers wide object (crane), you could have an upside down "T" shaped part that moves up/down with piston. On the object you want to take (the crate), you could have 2 little horizontal parts that will come and block the upside down "T" shaped part of the crane. All of this mechanism would have to be hidden on the back layer of your crane and crate objects so it's hidden and the player only see a crane touching a crate and then it takes the crate off the ground.

G-Bus

Banned
Man it's been a long time since I've played this.

Would it be worth it to pick this up and check out all the new stuff or wait for LBP2? Haven't played since a few months after it launched.

Wolf23

Neo Member
I am having a hard time getting the create trophy. I am going through PS3Trophies boosting thread but having no luck. Anyone have any suggestions?

BTW, the sequel is being released in a Limited Edition that includes a 7" Sackboy, some bookends and DLC. Looks pretty good!

onken

G-Bus said:

Would it be worth it to pick this up and check out all the new stuff or wait for LBP2? Haven't played since a few months after it launched.

Yeah you might want to boot it up an hour or so in advance and get the patches out the way.

netguy503

G-Bus said:

Well, since it's almost August and a BETA announcement SHOULD be right around the corner...I would say just wait for that! :)

Wowbagger

Mikey Jr. said:

There is a ton of useful info in LBPCentral.com's help forum. Also, make sure to check out their excellent logic tutorials (with copyable levels).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPds8KZuNCE

Derp, new level to tide me over before LBP2 finally shows up. :lol

Gundam Vs Tom_Molecule!

gundamvstom02.jpg

gundamvstom03.jpg

gundamvstom06.jpg

gundamvstom04.jpg

gundamvstom05.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_5WFBZzKyo

It's meant to be a silly parody of Tom getting fed up with LBP1 and messing around with the servers. This Gundam has multiple means of attacking:

- Basic rifle shots
- Melee
- Charge Attacks
- Melee Combo Enders
- etc!

If you get a chance to play it, hopefully y'all will enjoy it! :D This stuff will be so much easier in LBP2.

netguy503

donkey show said:
Awesome stage!

I think this was the level you "whored" in one of your LBP2 demonstration videos, was it not?:lol

And yes, August is just around the corner, so hopefully the BETA launch/announcement will be quite soon. I hope, I hope, I hope.:D

Oh, and if SONY doesn't give BETA keys to Playstation Plus subscribers, their first major BETA since launch of the service, they will have seriously shoot themselves in the foot.

Ranger X

Here's the lastest spotlight from the community! It's huge this week. I can't believe how much great stuff people are still pulling out. This game never ends!!

SMRC: Damocles Dock by Toykyo/ToykyoMegaplex
APhoto_42-3.jpg

Kinetic Crisis by L1GhTmArE/L1GhTmArE
KC4.jpg

The Lost Planets: Red Zone by Joey/XTrophx
TLPRZ5.jpg

The Honey Hive 2 by shookie99/SX_shookie99
APhoto_43-3.jpg

Scorching Witchcraft by BasketSnake/BasketSnake
aphoto.jpg

Mulberry Woods by mrsupercomputer/mrsupercomputer
mw.jpg

Wood Work by OKINGO/O-K-I-N-G-0
attachment.php

The GREAT TREE Prologue: (1P) Stand And Be Counted. by Gravel/GRAVEL
APhoto_41-3.jpg

Kikaiwa: Cybernauts by Vanemiera/Vanemiera
attachment.php

Cubeworld: Stormy Skyway by Mrgenji/Mrgenji
78c1a2aff61a5f04935dac6.png

Forte by filipovisck/filipovisck
attachment.php

Steel City by Malhat06/Malhat06
aphoto7.jpg

Retro 3D Shooter 2: Escape to the City by blimpkid/MooseOfSpades
APhoto_44-3.jpg

Seeking the Meaning : Part 2 - The Great Tree by Asbestos101/Asbestos101
aphoto30.jpg

The Last Guardian by GEK83/GEK83
p1000774.jpg

The Rocky Road (One player only) by MattAtk/MattAtk
APhoto_46-2.jpg

Sycophant by Cog/CogSpartan
lbp_sycophant_4.png

Logic Island and the Switch-Trigger Tribe by Luos_Desruc/Luos_Desruc
APhoto_45-2.jpg

Ranger X won me, anyway here the levels and psp level of this weeks

LBPC Community Spotlight 44

PS3 Spotlight

SMRC: Damocles Dock
by ToykyoMegaplex
Kinetic Crisis by L1GhTmArE
The Lost Planets: Red Zone by XTrophx
The Honey Hive 2 by SX_shookie99
Scorching Witchcraft by BasketSnake
Mulberry Woods by mrsupercomputer
Wood Work by O-K-I-N-G-0
The GREAT TREE Prologue: (1P) Stand And Be Counted. by GRAVEL
Kikaiwa: Cybernauts by Vanemiera
Cubeworld: Stormy Skyway by Mrgenji
Forte by filipovisck
Steel City by Malhat06
Retro 3D Shooter 2: Escape to the City by MooseOfSpades
Seeking the Meaning : Part 2 - The Great Tree by Asbestos101
The Last Guardian by GEK83
The Rocky Road (One player only) by MattAtk
Sycophant by CogSpartan
Logic Island and the Switch-Trigger Tribe by Luos_Desruc

PSP Spotlight

banaroo by th3_fly1ng_vEE
The Color of Music by eagerneph
Destiny 2 by amazingflyingpoo
Good Point by Glass_of_Win
Ruins and Riches by Glass_of_Win
Tasty Pastry? Or Just Desserts? by Alismuffin
Ted & Robi by XenonHMW
Timber Canyon II by VelcroJonze
Trifari Adventure by NightAngel321

:b you have to be so picky

Ranger X

Jump_button, would you happen to know wich username is the PSN username when they do something like this in the spotlight:

The Lost Planets: Red Zone by Joey/XTrophx

PSN name is always first or always second? Because when we post spotlights here I think we should only put the PSN name so there's no confusion. I would suggest you also put the images like I did. Well, if you have the courage to do so.

:)

Ranger X said:
Jump_button, would you happen to know wich username is the PSN username when they do something like this in the spotlight:

PSN name is always first or always second? Because when we post spotlights here I think we should only put the PSN name so there's no confusion. I would suggest you also put the images like I did. Well, if you have the courage to do so.

im too lazy lol

I dont post pic so it easyer to see the name of all the level

I hope to have a new level done this week or next been take a rest fro LBP and be playing my backlog of games

netguy503

Ranger X said:

Ranger X,

I hope you continue to mark all the cool levels in one collective place like you did for LBP1 (and thank you for doing that) though I hope in LBP2 level finding will be MUCH easier.

Also, I never got your friend request to play the Marvel stages. Did you ever send one?

netguy503 said:
Ranger X,

I hope you continue to mark all the cool levels in one collective place like you did for LBP1 (and thank you for doing that) though I hope in LBP2 level finding will be MUCH easier.

Also, I never got your friend request to play the Marvel stages. Did you ever send one?

oh it will shhhhhhhhhhhhh <_<

oh and it look like the cool pages have been fixed

netguy503 said:
huh? That link leads to a WEIRD access denied image. Just when you think you've seen everything on the internet....

Well you have to be in the beta to see it :b cant say anything more, Iam saying to much as it is.

im sure you can guest

Ranger X

netguy503 said:
Ranger X,

I did it yesterday. There was people online and they helped me. Sorry I thought I would have done it earlier. I will send you a friend request anyways.

I wasn't listing levels anymore. It became quite useless when LittleBigPlanet Central started their "community spotlights". If you want a librairy of 500+ levels of excellent quality (even trumping Media Molecule's own levels sometimes), go there:

More great levels that I could ever list!

rc213

jump_button said:
Well you have to be in the beta to see it :b cant say anything more, Iam saying to much as it is.

im sure you can guest

:O Why did I get a page with a bunch of stuff and a big Recent Activity/No results.

mclem

Well, that was a fun little screwup.

I've been playing through Community Spotlight content roughly in order, to get a feel for how level development skills have evolved through the last couple of years. The levels I've played thus far this way have been fun enough, but not spectacular.

I've got to Community Spotlight 4, which includes Mulberry Woods. What I didn't quite realise is that Community Spotlight 44 - the most recent one - includes the *remake* of Mulberry Woods, and I played the wrong one.

Holy shit. I now have a good idea of what to look forward to when I get to the more recent Community Spotlights! I played the original Mulberry Woods afterwards, and it's by no means poor, but the remake was phenomenal.

Out of interest, any idea roughly when the major landmarks in level design (Paintinator added, that trick to give 3D backdrops, anything else I may have missed)? occurred, so I'll know when to see direct evolution of level creation skills?

Ranger X

mclem said:
Well, that was a fun little screwup.

I've been playing through Community Spotlight content roughly in order, to get a feel for how level development skills have evolved through the last couple of years. The levels I've played thus far this way have been fun enough, but not spectacular.

I've got to Community Spotlight 4, which includes Mulberry Woods. What I didn't quite realise is that Community Spotlight 44 - the most recent one - includes the *remake* of Mulberry Woods, and I played the wrong one.

Holy shit. I now have a good idea of what to look forward to when I get to the more recent Community Spotlights! I played the original Mulberry Woods afterwards, and it's by no means poor, but the remake was phenomenal.

Out of interest, any idea roughly when the major landmarks in level design (Paintinator added, that trick to give 3D backdrops, anything else I may have missed)? occurred, so I'll know when to see direct evolution of level creation skills?

Paintinator appear in winter 2008 (december).
3D backgrounds appeared during summer 2009 (july-ish)
Water appeared in winter 2009 (december)

Ranger X said:
Paintinator appear in winter 2008 (december).
3D backgrounds appeared during summer 2009 (july-ish)
Water appeared in winter 2009 (december)

you forgot the Creator Pack 1 that come out 23/04/2009 that added but that wa smore or less same time as MGS pack

•Global Lighting Tool
•Invisible Bolts
•Infinite Lives Checkpoint
•Tether-less Jetpack

Ranger X

jump_button said:
you forgot the Creator Pack 1 that come out 23/04/2009 that added but that wa smore or less same time as MGS pack

•Global Lighting Tool
•Invisible Bolts
•Infinite Lives Checkpoint
•Tether-less Jetpack

Yes indeed. I think the global lighting tool changed/improved the community levels. Ìnfinite checkpoints to some extent too.

mclem

So, here's a bit of a question.

As part of my run through the Community Spotlight Archives, I'm trying to track down Metal Slug Solid (from episode 5). And.. I can't find it anywhere. I've tried searching by name, by author, nothing is showing up as likely to be it.

Either the name has changed to something I'm not able to work out, or it's been deleted. I've not found any mention of either occurrence on any of the forums I've found on which the level was promoted in the first place, which is leaving me a bit stumped. I *think* it dates back to after the Great Copyright Cleansing, although I'm not clear of dates on that.

I'll probably ask the author what happened to it, but before I do, is there any remaining avenue that I could search that could tip me off?

Ranger X

mclem said:
So, here's a bit of a question.

As part of my run through the Community Spotlight Archives, I'm trying to track down Metal Slug Solid (from episode 5). And.. I can't find it anywhere. I've tried searching by name, by author, nothing is showing up as likely to be it.

Either the name has changed to something I'm not able to work out, or it's been deleted. I've not found any mention of either occurrence on any of the forums I've found on which the level was promoted in the first place, which is leaving me a bit stumped. I *think* it dates back to after the Great Copyright Cleansing, although I'm not clear of dates on that.

I'll probably ask the author what happened to it, but before I do, is there any remaining avenue that I could search that could tip me off?

You searched by query (text) and you also searched for the author?
There no other way, unless you didn't do a proper author search. Did you put an "@" before the name? Like if you want to search for my level per example, you'd go "@Rangerzero" in the text search.

mclem

I usually do proper author searches. When I couldn't find it, I tried a few other helpful-sounding phrases, but I couldn't find it.

I think the level may have been removed, I'm just mildly bothered that I can't find mention of the fact on any of the sorts of places which I would imagine *would* mention it!

Ranger X

mclem said:
I usually do proper author searches. When I couldn't find it, I tried a few other helpful-sounding phrases, but I couldn't find it.

I think the level may have been removed, I'm just mildly bothered that I can't find mention of the fact on any of the sorts of places which I would imagine *would* mention it!

I really doubt that the spotlights are revised in case a level doesn't exist anymore. I suppose you have to expect levels to disappear from time to time because you never know what the creator did. Could have been moderated too.

Just wanted to share this for the heck of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7yR0H8BJAU

Probably one of the last things I'll work on in LBP1... which will more than likely migrate to LBP2. =)

So after working on my ZOE and Gundam mechs, this is probably the pinnacle of my "Armor" design before Controlinators come into play in LBP2. Using a simple control box with minimal grab switches, my floaty rail system, my replenishable life bar system, a modified version of Gilgamesh's circle function, and a slew of other glitched stuff and wacky logic, the Armor of Seraph is probably one of the more easily controlled yet relatively complex machines in LBP. It's definitely no Controlinator (as I've messed with it at E3), but it's as close as you can get in LBP1 without having to resort to directional grabs for multiple functions. Ultimately, this contraption is meant to make the player feel like the actual object (just like all my other previous attempts, lol) because... in all honesty, I could make a unicorn or a magic troll with the same exact functions which essentially lends to my system's flexibility. =P

Ease of use and uninhibited movement is always the main focus of these designs, so hopefully I've hit those points as well as one can in LBP1.a

lbpseraph01.jpg

The control scheme works off a simple tap/grab mechanic. The tap simply controls the "pea shooter" of the Armor. The grab functions are meat and potatoes of this particular machine and they control the following.

- shield (hold R1 when away from an enemy)
lbpseraph02.jpg

- LV1 charge attack (hold R1 for at least 1.5 seconds, release)
lbpseraph03.jpg

- LV2 charge attacks (hold R1 for at least 6 seconds, release)
lbpseraph07.jpg

- melee attacks (hold R1 when within close proximity of an enemy)
lbpseraph04.jpg

- melee combo ender Pinwheel (release R1 after 3-4 melee attacks in a row)
lbpseraph05.jpg

- melee combo ender SFS (achieve at least any 8 melee attacks in a row)
lbpseraph06.jpg

- link combo enders and even charge attacks together for massive damage!!! (i.e. link 6 melee attacks > pinwheel > SFS + arrow blazer)
lbpseraph08.jpg

Holding your shield will switch to melee when in range and vice versa when not in range.

The goal of this particular creation is to encourage melee attacks as the long range ones take time to build up. It looks complicated, but it's really easy as holding down R1 and getting in range when you can. In an attempt at toning down the attack output of the Armor, I've made it so you have either a shield or melee delay of about 1.5 seconds after you perform any charge move or combo ender (yet you can still link moves like mentioned above). I have several other attacks waiting to be implemented, but I want to keep it under 40% thermo, lol.

If your Armor takes several hits of damage in succession as well, rockets will activate and push you out of harms way (same goes for the future enemies). The life bar below represents 50 HP (lol) and can be regained to full health indefinitely. In the event of accidental player crushing, the player will be returned to the control box thanks to happy emitted checkpoints within the control box.

Anyway, this object will be in a future teaser level I'm working on currently called The Crimson Scourge. You'll be fighting other armors and mega beasts (thermo willing). I might release the WIP level that's in the vid for you guys to check it out, but we'll see. I'll also post a pic of the logic involved and add a "radar" to the armor similar to my Jehuty so you can know the position of the enemies. If you have any questions, just let me know!

:D

I'm gonna have to use this list when I play with friends who recently got this game :D

They need to see lvls that can be made that is super awesome and fun! :D

Andvary said:
WOW, it looks awesome Donkey Show, I can't wait to try it :)

Lagspike_exe said:
@donkey show

Incredible! I haven't been playing LBP for a long time, but I'll boot it up just to try your new level.

Thanks guys! I'm pretty sure you can't find anything else like this on LBP at this level.

I'll put up the terribad demo level tonight, but I do already have a published level uses very similar functions as the Armor above (although you can't combo as much).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_5WFBZzKyo

It's called Gundam vs Tom_Molecule!!! and I posted some stuff about it a couple posts up. :lol It pretty much controls exactly the same but has more of a long range focus than close range. The prospect of being able to do this but in a VS multiplayer status in LBP2 rules face.

BeeDog

Jesus christ, it's fucking impossible to ace the first level in the Marvel pack. The rising gas area is borderline impossible; eventhough I do what feels like a perfect run, the gas kills me. Any hints for this part?

Ranger X

BeeDog said:
Jesus christ, it's fucking impossible to ace the first level in the Marvel pack. The rising gas area is borderline impossible; eventhough I do what feels like a perfect run, the gas kills me. Any hints for this part?

It really is a one way. There's no trick. You simply need to be faster. I personally aced that level second of third time I tried to do it.

Somthing wrong with Update 1.29 somthing to do with ico sounds :( so all my sky town levels are geting down and can't be played

anyway new level in the works here a little drawing of what im going for hope to have it done soon as i can

bwsack.jpg

BooJoh

I just got a PS3 with LBP GotY Edition, and I have a (possibly dumb) question: Will any DLC costumes/materials/level kits/etc that I buy in LBP transfer over to LBP2?

Also I see a lot of locked levels on the community section. What does that mean exactly?

BooJoh said:
I just got a PS3 with LBP GotY Edition, and I have a (possibly dumb) question: Will any DLC costumes/materials/level kits/etc that I buy in LBP transfer over to LBP2?

Also I see a lot of locked levels on the community section. What does that mean exactly?

all DLC you own will be transfer over to LBP2

locked levels are levels the player have locked and you can only go on it by finding the key in a level

but alot use it as away to send levels to mates to help out on somthing

Top Bottom