• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Little Witch Academia TV |OT| Season 2 up on Netflix Aug 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Finally started this on Netflix last week since the rest of the episodes are going up tomorrow. Posted impressions in the anime thread but I'll compile them here too!

Little Witch Academia TV - Epsiodes 1-4
Started watching this yesterday, got distracted by FFXII HD and CATBIRD, continued watching another couple of episodes today. I.... think I actually like it? The first episode was a bit of a let down after the OVAs because it was pretty plain other than the cool Cockatrice design. The second episode wasn't terribly exciting either but the card designs were really cool. I kinda want a set! But by the third episode I realized that even though they weren't each like the OVAs on their own, the TV format does allow them to tell many more stories and go through various silly school ideas they wouldn't tackle in OVAs. This episode also had a far more interesting story, and the animation in the second half was fantastic. Episode 4 was neat too, with with a silly parody of Twilight and a heartwarming tale of the difference between creators and fans. It's probably the best written episode out of the four so far.

Little Witch Academia TV - Episode 5
This was cute. Reminded me of a Yucie style story actually. The CG (?) background they used for the bird's eye view shots of the forest were awful. The fireball effects were nice though!

Little Witch Academia TV - Episode 6
I guess this is a "plot" episode meant to introduce a little more of the larger part of the outside world and a new character for future misunderstandings/love triangles/lame drama. Bunny ear Akko was cute but I'm getting really tired of the two most repetitive and lameass plot elements in the series - a) Akko sucks at magic, b) Luna Nova is going to run out of money and close at any moment! Both are stupid artificial drama plot points and making Akko soooooo incompetent is really exaggerated and ridiculous.

Little Witch Academia TV - Episode 7
Akko's incompetence takes on a whole new dimension of annoyance here. But there's some solid storyboarding, and erm... errr... fishes are cute? Maybe? Idk. Who thought it was a good idea to have a fish professor? Why? How? This school deserves to close down.

Little Witch Academia TV - Episode 8
SUCY LAND! BEST SHOW EVER! YAY! LWA SAVED!

Little Witch Academia TV - Episode 9
This is one weak episode. The entire gag was obvious from the start, and the story was paper thin. In a very Saturday morning cartoon series so far, this is the most Saturday morning cartoon episode yet.

Little Witch Academia TV - Episode 10
This was pretty stupid. Although the scene where Diana falls in love with Akko was funny as hell, and the scene with Andrew talking with his father are rather interesting. Otherwise it's a pretty throwaway love "potion" gag episode with some plot hooks.

Little Witch Academia TV - Episode 11
I liked this one a lot better. Maybe the mythos episodes work better when Akko is alone. I dunno. What I don't get is why there seems to be some weird underlying "secret" that the adults have which they can't share with anyone and with each other, but yet seem okay with the kids going out and discovering when with the wrong context on their own. What is going on??? Lol.

Little Witch Academia TV - Episodes 12-13
So for the end of the first season they decided to do something that's closer to the originals where there's a special event, Akko tries to do something ridiculous. and then something something power of friendship. Except none of it really feels earned. Akko is too stupid in the TV series, her magic is presented as being so bad, and even the solutions to her problems aren't so much friendship but rather getting a cheat sheet from Ursula. It's not that satisfying, but at least the direction is kinda fun. The transformations are still a joy to watch.

--------

So... having finished the first season on Netflix... here's how I would rank the episodes:

Actually pretty damn good: Ep3, 5, 7-8
Not bad: Ep1-2, 4, 6, 11-13
Kinda lame: Ep9, 10

The best episodes so far are the ones which play with the supporting characters and settings in creative and unusual ways which end up having really fun animation to have them up, which is Trigger's strong point. The worst episodes are the ones which rely on a single joke stretched over an entire episode, and use misunderstandings as a clutch.

spiritfox

Man Netflix really dropped the ball with this series. First they don't simulcast with the Japanese release, then they split the series and release the second half so long after the first. I hope that didn't kill the audience in the West.

Man Netflix really dropped the ball with this series. First they don't simulcast with the Japanese release, then they split the series and release the second half so long after the first. I hope that didn't kill the audience in the West.

The largest ball drop isnt even Netflix - the show just isnt that good!!

duckroll

I don't think they really dropped any ball at all. Having a dub for a foreign cartoon is essential for young children. If grown up nerds who like complaining on the internet are impatient, it's not Netflix's problem.

Just caught up with episode 13. Really loved this so far. Exactly what I wanted after watching the OVAs. Looks like I finished part 1 just in time.

It's entertaining, wholesome fun with great art direction and animation. Perfectly enjoyable.

But I guess it's not Gurren Lagann so it's bad ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It's not bad, but just doesn't live up to a tenth of the potential the OVAs had.

Then factoring in the pedigree behind it, it's extremely low on the relative Trigger hierarchy of quality.

duckroll

It's not bad, but just doesn't live up to a tenth of the potential the OVAs had.

Then factoring in the pedigree behind it, it's extremely low on the relative Trigger hierarchy of quality.

I think it's easily one of their best shows so far. Low bar though. The studio hasn't really had any breakout hits or great concepts.

I really enjoyed this show. I was surprised how many people I've seen kind of down on it but the art style and just the overall feeling of the show makes this such an easy watch

spiritfox

I don't think they really dropped any ball at all. Having a dub for a foreign cartoon is essential for young children. If grown up nerds who like complaining on the internet are impatient, it's not Netflix's problem.

I'm not against dubs, I just think their release schedule is bad.

Lusankya

Does anyone know when Netflix usually update their site? I am desperately waiting for the the second part of the season.

Meffer

Maybe in 3 hours 20 mins. I think that 100 million yen Women J-Drama and LWA TV Season 2 are hitting today.

Dubs are one of the reasons why the schedule is the way it is though.

I also think they handled it poorly. They completely missed when the show was at it's most popular and talked about.

Giolon

At Anime Expo, I asked ANN's editors how articles and reviews of shows that Netflix picks up fare traffic-wise compared to simulcasting shows. Since none of the industry players publicize their viewership numbers for shows, I figured this was as close as we'd get to understanding how Netflix or Amazon show-nappings affect how a show does.

They said Netflix shows do fantastic for them once Netflix releases them. Netflix's reach is so far beyond what any of the dedicated anime streaming sites have that merely capturing a tiny tiny sliver of their subscriber base is still a large audience. For Amazon Anime Strike they said it’s harder to tell because so far they’ve mostly only picked up shows that were sequels to other popular series and ANN's folks said those shows have done well for them traffic wise too. The main thing they said (and I agree with) is that Amazon and Netflix picking up a show is a death sentence for it in the online community and conversation.

Though my question is, how much of the Netflix audience is the part of the audience that the show creators and licensors need because they buy merchandise and Blu-rays, and other physical goods?

duckroll

The "online community" for anime is garbage. Bunch of entitled pirates who care more about getting stuff immediately when and where they decide they want it, with zero regards to nuance or tack when it comes to critique. "Me don't like thing" -> "Fuck <company> I hope they die." etc.

So yeah, who cares.

Giolon

AnimeGAF is part of the online community too!

I think the fact that the conversation dies when legal streaming isn't available shows that it isn't all just pirates. If everybody that participated was pirating, shouldn't the conversations occur as if nothing happened when Netflix or Amazon gobble up a show to release them 6+ months later?

Back on topic - I'm glad S2 is finally here on Netflix. I bought some in-between frames of the show from GOODSMILE Company's booth at Anime Expo. I should post some pics. I got a few good ones!

I think it's easily one of their best shows so far. Low bar though. The studio hasn't really had any breakout hits or great concepts.
Heh looking at what they've released so far I'd definitely say LWA is my favorite studio trigger anime rn. Kill la kill was tedious and I couldn't get into Kiznaiver but maybe I'll give it another shot

Gulz1992

The largest ball drop isnt even Netflix - the show just isnt that good!!

The only dislikes I've really seen of this show are here on Gaf. Most people seem to enjoy it to, though to varying degrees. I personally don't think the show's great, but the original OVAs weren't great either. They were charming but nothing truly memorable. And that's fine. Not every anime has to be the GOAT. Like the OVAs, I simply expected the show to be silly, cute and funny while having good animation and occasional emotional payoffs, and it mostly delivered on that front. There definitely is a lot of room for improvement, but it's still enjoyable for what it is, and after watching the new Berserk I will now judge any anime lightly in comparison.

duckroll

AnimeGAF is part of the online community too!

I think the fact that the conversation dies when legal streaming isn't available shows that it isn't all just pirates. If everybody that participated was pirating, shouldn't the conversations occur as if nothing happened when Netflix or Amazon gobble up a show to release them 6+ months later?

I dunno. There are about 9 pages of conversation about the series here in this thread. There was also stuff going on in the AnimeGAF threads when it was airing. So clearly people have no problems with watching it and talking about it. Maybe the reason LESS people talked about it is because some of us were waiting for it to be on Netflix before watching at our leisure? Idk. Amazon doesn't release anything 6+ months later though. They release it as it airs, what people complain about is having to pay more on top of Prime for Anime Strike, which is a whole other argument!

LotusHD

Banned
Heh looking at what they've released so far I'd definitely say LWA is my favorite studio trigger anime rn. Kill la kill was tedious and I couldn't get into Kiznaiver but maybe I'll give it another shot

That was tedious, but this wasn't? Felt the complete opposite lol

duckroll

Watched the first five episodes of the second season and holy shit it is on FIRE. Immediately better than the first half of the series, really funny and exciting stories, more character work, and some crazy fun stuff. I'm LOVING this. The magic backstory scene in episode 15 had some awesome animation from Kou Yoshinari. Dude is god-tier.

I started season 2. For some reason it lists the first episode as episode 14. On the first ep I felt like there's an episode missing. In the season 1 finale it sounded like they were going to cover the end of the moonlight festival, but it's just a throwaway comment in the first episode. Kagari really wanted to become the Moonlight Witch and while the orange hair girl said that Diana was going to get it I was expecting to there be some kind of conflict with that. I'm on to episode 4 now I think. I'm enjoying this.

duckroll

Finished the second season last night. I think on a whole it was way better than the first season. Overall though, the series ended up being good but not great. The main story they worked towards only barely worked, and it wasn't as satisfying or climatic as I would have liked. Yet one thing remains constant throughout both seasons - this is a story of Akko and Diana, and that is one element they really pulled off and it worked far better than I would say any character dynamic did even in the original short films.

This is a story of two very different girls from totally different upbringings who were exposed to the joy of a different kind of magic as a child and that moment changed their lives. They went on to make different decisions which ultimately led them to the same school, and their personalities and approach to life aren't very compatible on the surface. Yet both are truly good people trying to make a difference in their own ways, and there was never an artificial layer of forced misunderstanding between the two. Their honesty and directness from the start is the reason why they could eventually overcome their differences to bond as true friends.

My favorite element of the original shorts is that Diana was always presented as someone with an image to uphold, but was never really mean or malicious - she simply found Akko's carefree attitude to be disappointing and improper. She struggles to express herself, but she was always trying to do the right thing. The TV series elevates this to new levels and the conversation between Diana and Akko in episode 23 is my favorite scene in the entire series.

Too bad we can't say the same for the relationship between Chariot and Croix. While Croix was a very interesting villain character when she was first introduced, it quickly became one-note, and her weak characterizations and flimsy motivations dragged Chariot down because it made her a less interesting character too. A real shame. The flashback reveal near the end really showed how lame their story is. :/

And the fact that Akko is really, really bad at magic in this version of the story because of Chariot? Well.... I don't dislike that plot twist at all, and it does make me dislike the annoying gag a little less, but I still don't think it was a necessary story beat. I would have preferred a more competent (but still silly and irresponsible) Akko, and I would have liked for Chariot to have a different reason to have become Ursula. The Chariot/Criox stuff REALLY needed more work. The less we talk about the "war over contested football goal" series long subplot the better. It was just stupid. Lol.

Where season 2 really shines is how it picks characters who would make for really interesting action set pieces and give them episodes to shine. Chariot's gauntlet run through Criox's tower in episode 15, Amanda's sword duel in episode 17, the Gurren Lagann homages through Constanze in episode 18, the broom rocket liftoff in the finale, the Akko/Diana mid-air battle with the missile demon in the finale, all great action scenes. There's energy in those scenes that surpass the best scenes of the first season. Great stuff. I think a number of story elements were done very well visually and narratively too. The silly strike in episode 14, the origins of magic flashback in episode 15, Akko's more consistent use of the mouse transformation in various episodes, seeing far away places like Lotte's and Diana's respective homes, etc. The TV series might not look as good as the original shorts, but visually it's still much more charming than the average show.

Enjoyed it quite a bit and would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a fun and cute magic school show for kids.

I chose to watch this in Spanish because I'm trying to learn it, but tht might have not been a good choice because I notice sometimes the substitles doesn't match what Akko's saying. For example, one said, "Thank you, I guess" and Akko said "De nada chicas". I've noticed this a lot more in Season 2. I feel like they just probably used the Japanese subtitles for Spanish and didn't bother changing them to fit the Spanish dialogue.

I'm really liking season 2 though.

Loving season 2 as much as the first. Just finished the Diana episodes, really loved her dynamic with Akko there.

Isn't something how everyone in the school hated her and treated her like shit and now so many people respect her now. It started out with Sucy and then slowly others started to like her. Akko's grown as well. She couldn't cast any spell to save her life and she seems to mastered Metamorpho at least.

Miker

I love season 1 so much for being so goddamn pure and adorable and cute and ohmygod those pastels in the credits, so I'm excited to hear that season 2 is even better.

Tankard

Isn't something how everyone in the school hated her and treated her like shit and now so many people respect her now. It started out with Sucy and then slowly others started to like her. Akko's grown as well. She couldn't cast any spell to save her life and she seems to mastered Metamorpho at least.

Yes, the progressions in the show feel very awarding to me, Akko's is cspecially amazing if you consider her situation.

Situation that really broke my heart into pieces on episode 22.

Lusankya

So, I finished the second part of the season today and while I overall enjoyed it I think I actually prefer the more "slice of life" approach of the first half. Although I also liked all the emotional scenes in the end and how the relationship between Akko and all the others evolved over time.
Really nice to see how they all became friends in the end and enable Akko to finally fly (a little bit).

I really hope there will be a second season as this was probably the best anime I watched in the last decade.

The second opening is great btw. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfFPJEgL1yQ

Galang

Banned
Um what?! Didn't realize the first season was out, let alone the second....lol! I was waiting for this for a while too

Finished the second season last night. I think on a whole it was way better than the first season. Overall though, the series ended up being good but not great. The main story they worked towards only barely worked, and it wasn't as satisfying or climatic as I would have liked. Yet one thing remains constant throughout both seasons - this is a story of Akko and Diana, and that is one element they really pulled off and it worked far better than I would say any character dynamic did even in the original short films.

This is a story of two very different girls from totally different upbringings who were exposed to the joy of a different kind of magic as a child and that moment changed their lives. They went on to make different decisions which ultimately led them to the same school, and their personalities and approach to life aren't very compatible on the surface. Yet both are truly good people trying to make a difference in their own ways, and there was never an artificial layer of forced misunderstanding between the two. Their honesty and directness from the start is the reason why they could eventually overcome their differences to bond as true friends.

My favorite element of the original shorts is that Diana was always presented as someone with an image to uphold, but was never really mean or malicious - she simply found Akko's carefree attitude to be disappointing and improper. She struggles to express herself, but she was always trying to do the right thing. The TV series elevates this to new levels and the conversation between Diana and Akko in episode 23 is my favorite scene in the entire series.

Too bad we can't say the same for the relationship between Chariot and Croix. While Croix was a very interesting villain character when she was first introduced, it quickly became one-note, and her weak characterizations and flimsy motivations dragged Chariot down because it made her a less interesting character too. A real shame. The flashback reveal near the end really showed how lame their story is. :/

And the fact that Akko is really, really bad at magic in this version of the story because of Chariot? Well.... I don't dislike that plot twist at all, and it does make me dislike the annoying gag a little less, but I still don't think it was a necessary story beat. I would have preferred a more competent (but still silly and irresponsible) Akko, and I would have liked for Chariot to have a different reason to have become Ursula. The Chariot/Criox stuff REALLY needed more work. The less we talk about the "war over contested football goal" series long subplot the better. It was just stupid. Lol.

Where season 2 really shines is how it picks characters who would make for really interesting action set pieces and give them episodes to shine. Chariot's gauntlet run through Criox's tower in episode 15, Amanda's sword duel in episode 17, the Gurren Lagann homages through Constanze in episode 18, the broom rocket liftoff in the finale, the Akko/Diana mid-air battle with the missile demon in the finale, all great action scenes. There's energy in those scenes that surpass the best scenes of the first season. Great stuff. I think a number of story elements were done very well visually and narratively too. The silly strike in episode 14, the origins of magic flashback in episode 15, Akko's more consistent use of the mouse transformation in various episodes, seeing far away places like Lotte's and Diana's respective homes, etc. The TV series might not look as good as the original shorts, but visually it's still much more charming than the average show.

Enjoyed it quite a bit and would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a fun and cute magic school show for kids.

I thought I remember her being mean to her along with her groupies. It is quite something how she's gained respect for her though. Great review. Too lazy to write one as extensive right now.

Miker

Just finished the second season on Netflix and I love it so much. It's so precious and so cute, and the animation is so dynamic and so...Trigger. Small things like the multi-stage rocket had so much charm and personality. It consistently put a smile on my face moreso than any anime I've watched, though I guess I haven't watched that many outright comedies.

It could've done some subplots better, but I came away satisfied and I really hope they make a second season. I would love to see more episodes centered around the fantastic supporting cast, as those were some of the strongest. Jasminka needs her own episode!

ElFly

episode 9 of season 1 is ok

it contains my favorite joke of the series so far: everyone pulling out something they value as amulets, Akko forgetting to bring anything, and just going "it's ok, I am gonna pull out something out of my pocket"

and pulls out some dirty lint/dirt out of her pocket

Astral

This show needs more love. I just finished it and that last action was fucking fire. There's just so much energy in it. Overall, I agree with Duckroll in that it was good but not great and that Croix was more interesting at the start of the season. I dug her backstory though. Akko is cute as fuck. One of my favorite protagonists in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom