• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Little Nightmares 2 free enhanced patch out now for PS5/XSX

Bartski

Gold Member

- ray traced reflections
- increased volumetric shadows and particles
- "beauty mode" emphasizing the resolution and the ray tracing (30fps with 4K)
- performance mode 60fps, ray tracing + dynamic resolution up to 4K
- 3D audio ("spatial audio" on PC/Xbox most likely Dolby Atmos compatible)

Because Little Nightmares II has such a unique atmosphere, we have been very cautious with the enhanced features we decided to use. Each one of them has been chosen and balanced for each room in order to keep the ambiance and push the visual quality to another level.
When it came to choosing which features to add, one important criteria was also to improve player immersion. We wanted players to feel like they are diving into their little nightmares. This focus on immersion implies an important attention to details. Adding more particles which are dynamically affected by Mono in the air but also on the ground with dust on the old carpets. To make the player’s senses more alert, the 3D audio gives a hint on the direction of the danger but it doesn’t mean that it will be easier to escape.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Oh nice, I haven't picked this up yet. Too much to play but this update might suck me in. They're only short games really. PS: Fuck this game if it has another trophy like in the first one for not dying.

Bartski

Gold Member
Now I regret picking it up on release as I imagine it must be amazing with all those additional features in 60 fps. Have fun!

Thief1987

It's hard to imagine more dumbest way to waste resources than to make RT reflections in a game with fixed camera angle.

thatJohann

So wait, is the performance mode 60fps + ray tracing + dynamic 4K?

OR is the ray tracing only in the 30fps 4k beauty mode?

Edit: nevermind, just read the blog post

"Thanks to the Graphics mode option, you will also be able to choose between Beauty and Performance modes. The first one emphasizes the resolution and the ray tracing; the game runs at 30fps with 4K resolution and optimized ray tracing. The second one locks the game at 60fps with a dynamic resolution up to 4K and ray tracing."

So I'm guessing the ray tracing in performance mode is an inferior ray tracing compared to the ray tracing in beauty mode

Last edited:
One day I will finish the first one and buy the second...one day
will-ferrell-i-dont-believe-you.gif

vkbest

So wait, is the performance mode 60fps + ray tracing + dynamic 4K?

OR is the ray tracing only in the 30fps 4k beauty mode?

Edit: nevermind, just read the blog post

"Thanks to the Graphics mode option, you will also be able to choose between Beauty and Performance modes. The first one emphasizes the resolution and the ray tracing; the game runs at 30fps with 4K resolution and optimized ray tracing. The second one locks the game at 60fps with a dynamic resolution up to 4K and ray tracing."

So I'm guessing the ray tracing in performance mode is an inferior ray tracing compared to the ray tracing in beauty mode
Beauty mode is 4k, the other mode is dynamic, could be 1080 to 4k, 1440p to 4k etc.

Duchess

Oh, that looks nice. The reflections are subtle, which works nicely in its favour.

I've not actually played the first game yet. Got it on PS Now, so will give it a go as my next game.

i'm trying to update it and there is nothing , in the game version there is only the ps4 version ..
nevermind , got it , fuck they make it so hard to upgrade it to the ps5 version

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
In quality mode this game runs really bad on ps5. I tried it a bit and I can clearly see drops below 30 FPS in different spots, this mode shouldn't even exhist in this state honestly.

assurdum

Banned
Oh nose. What’s the non quality rez/frames?
It's practically 60 FPS Vs unstable 30 FPS. It seems higher resolution but not by much, I don't see any major graphical improvement in the quality mode. But the FPS dips are clearly evident in a terrible way. Maybe it's full raytraced? That's the only reason of such discrepancy in performance.

Last edited:

TonyK

In quality mode this game runs really bad on ps5. I tried it a bit and I can clearly see drops below 30 FPS in different spots, this mode shouldn't even exhist in this state honestly.
Agree. I usually choose the quality mode because I'm a bit 4k fanatic, but in this case the difference is so minimal than performance mode (that looks amazing) it seems the only viable choice.

assurdum

Banned
I have to revisited my opinion. Seems more frame pacing issue but it's definitely bizzarre how FPS is hold in quality mode on ps5. Resolution is definitely higher. But still...I don't get it why FPS is so hiccuping in such mode.

Last edited:
I noticed the same thing. I usually go for Quality Modes in games at 30fps, but the stutters were really getting to me. Switched it to 60fps mode and not a stutter in sight. So weird. Might as well just stay on this mode if it still has ray tracing. Speaking of ray tracing, I played for a couple hours last night and I haven't seen a single reflection.

Sorry to bump this but I have the XSX version and I can't see any difference between beauty mode and performance, what's going on? Richard from DF said the developers had fixed the Raytracing.

Connxtion

Sorry to bump this but I have the XSX version and I can't see any difference between beauty mode and performance, what's going on? Richard from DF said the developers had fixed the Raytracing.
The difference is just resolution scaling.

beaten to it ☝️

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Is this game better than the original? Not that it was bad by any means, but when I played it I couldn't help but compare it with Inside, and it just wasn't nearly as great as that.

Last edited:
Oh I presumed performance mode would have no Raytracing, thanks for clearing that up.
I was confused at first on PS5, but I found that performance mode looked much better due to even frame pacing. I couldn't stand the uneven 30fps mode for very long. Once I realized I wasn't losing ray tracing by going to 60fps, I had a great time.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Little Nightmares could get a native PS5 and Xbox Series X version, according to a current PEGI rating. Its sequel has already gotten a free update.

When a native version of a game is available, they normally rate it for that specific console. Going by this, Little Nightmares may receive a PS5 and Xbox Series X upgrade and it could be announced soon.

Little Nightmares 2 has already had a native update. The PS5 and Xbox Series X versions support 4K resolution at 60 frames per second. On the PS5 and Xbox Series X, it also features a ray-tracing mode.

• Beauty Mode* – Little Nightmares II runs at 30fps at 4K resolution with optimized Ray Tracing.
  • Performance Mode* – Locks the game at 60fps. Dynamic resolution up to 4K to maintain 60fps with Ray Tracing.
  • Ray-Traced Reflections – Allows any shiny surface to provide a reflection. Its clarity and definition depend on surfaces.
  • Volumetric Shadows – Increased resolution of volumetric shadows. Light rays are disturbed by objects and characters moving in front of a strong light source.
  • Interactive Particles – Particles are more abundant and dynamically affected by Mono, Six and the main antagonists. Particles swim and eddy behind them, creating a more realistic and immersive environment.
  • Immersive Audio – New immersive 3D soundscape mix, creating a more involving experience when listening via 5.1 /7.1 audio systems or headphones.
While this new rating does not reference the complete edition, it might hint that it will be given as a free update. The complete edition included all post-launch DLC in one bundle.

mckmas8808

Banned

Little Nightmares could get a native PS5 and Xbox Series X version, according to a current PEGI rating. Its sequel has already gotten a free update.

When a native version of a game is available, they normally rate it for that specific console. Going by this, Little Nightmares may receive a PS5 and Xbox Series X upgrade and it could be announced soon.

Little Nightmares 2 has already had a native update. The PS5 and Xbox Series X versions support 4K resolution at 60 frames per second. On the PS5 and Xbox Series X, it also features a ray-tracing mode.

While this new rating does not reference the complete edition, it might hint that it will be given as a free update. The complete edition included all post-launch DLC in one bundle.

How is this different from the update?

skit_data

How is this different from the update?
Exactly, I thought it had a native version because of the ray-tracing implementation. I’ve seen patches that up the res and fps but I have never seen a patch add actual ray-tracing for a last gen version.

Top Bottom