• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life is Strange: True Colors - PS5 Gameplay (Ray Tracing)

rubhen925

Square sent a key so I checked it out today. Here's some info and my impressions of the game:

- PS5 install size is 13.53GB as of version 1.02
- game has ray tracing mode. But no other options such as prioritize resolution or fps.
- PR didn't specify the max resolution the game can run at nor the fps.
- but clearly as you can see the fps is widely inconsistent. Indoors is mostly smooth with occasional drops, but outdoor, oh man. Does it suck. Drops are frequent and hard. Can barely hold 30fps at times.
- funny enough, ray tracing on or off doesn't matter. FPS is still inconsistent
- Another thing was before the update 1.02 rolled out, the fps was even worse. I had to remake this video after the 1.02 as the fps was horrendous. Was giving me headaches.
- No in game HDR. Just using the PS5 HDR settings for my personal tv uses and capture
- haptic feedback is there for the triggers. When using you abilities it starts going nuts, and gives some resistance when holding down the triggers.
- Music is hella copyrighted for people wanting to stream and upload. There is a streamer mode, but the main menu music is claimed as well. That's why I skipped that part, and intro and started a bit into the game.
- Story has been interesting, scenery is nice. But I wish they did more. 60 constant with no drops without ray tracing should be a must at this point. Kind of shocked atm.

If you guys have other questions do ask. I'll try to answer them.

Last edited:

Freeman76

So disappointing. How are we only just now hearing about this? Reviews should have given a heads up on performance woes. Bummer. Thanks OP for raising awareness on this.

They probably care more about keeping their LGB fans happy than how the game performs. Its honestly a joke, when you think games like AC, GoT etc can handle 60 this is amateur shit. Me and my wife gameshare and I mainly bought it for her as she loves the others, no way am I playing this shit unless the patch it.

I saw a tweet saying they have gone for a cinemaric experience blah blah it doesnt even look as good as other games that manage 60fps and they are open world! Its just a bullshit excuse because they are too lazy to optimise it or dont have the talent to. With the power of these consoles this has blatantly been pushed out before its ready.

Maybe this sounds a little OTT but companies like this piss me off. They spout some crap to allow them to put the optimised for X/S logo on it when this is about as optimised as a gameboy advance game.

Last edited:

xion4360

On Series X fps is locked to 30 pretty stable it seems. I had VRR on but it caused wild jumps in refresh rate on menus and triggered the screen flickering a lot i just turned off VRR and it runs smooth anyway. The HDR is clearly not true HDR and makes the game look more washed out so i turned it off and it looks so much better. The raytracing option seems bugged because its supposed to use RT shadows but i cant tell a difference on or off...the shadows look mostly sharp though so its either locked to on or they are just good but not RT.

Last edited:
Top Bottom