• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life is Strange: True Colors - First Official Gameplay

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Take a walk through Haven Springs' Record Store with Alex in this EXCLUSIVE first look at gameplay!

Explore the store, browse records, and meet two potential new friends along the way.

#LifeisStrange #TrueColors is out September 10, with Steph's DLC, 'Wavelengths', available September 30 on PlayStation, Xbox, PC, and Stadia, and coming to Nintendo Switch later this year.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Check out the first 15 minutes of gameplay from Life Is Strange: True Colors, the upcoming adventure game spinoff of sorts that, unlike other Life Is Strange games, won't be episodic. The whole game drops on September 10 for all major gaming platforms.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I own but haven't played the Life is Strange games yet, but I enjoyed Tell Me Why and am looking forward to this.

Is it necessary to play past LiS 1 to enjoy the story for this one? I keep hearing LiS2 isn't that great.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
Played both LiS and LiS2, and liked both, though the sequel is very different and not really connected to the original story (but still a good story imho). Can't wait to try this one.

I don't think you need to play past LiS, it's a different story with different characters each time, there's sometime small references as it's in the same "universe" and you may encounter or hear something about a character or event from past games but nothing really essential.

Havoc2049

I own but haven't played the Life is Strange games yet, but I enjoyed Tell Me Why and am looking forward to this.

Is it necessary to play past LiS 1 to enjoy the story for this one? I keep hearing LiS2 isn't that great.
Owning but not playing the first LiS game is a crime against gamers and the gaming gods everywhere. Seriously, LiS is such an excellent game and you should do a deep dive and get lost in the game world as soon as you have the time. It's a great game and experience IMO.

I didn't bother with LiS2, as I found the premise soemwhat unrealistic and it seemed the Dev team got too caught up in the political winds of the time and tried too hard to push a narrative down gamers throat. I don't like pushy games and I loved the mysterious, yet chill and insightful vibe of the first game.

After watching these gameplay videos, I'm definitely going to jump back in the series with True Colors.

Larxia

Life Is Strange 2 is not connected to the other games, so you can most likely skip it unless this game decides to do something with it but I doubt it.

This game is made by Deck Nine, the people who made Before The Storm, which was a prequel to the original, and with True Colors they're following what they created in Before The Storm.
So if you want the whole thing, I think you only need to play before the storm and LiS 1, or maybe even just Before The Storm, I don't know if True Colors will mention events from LiS 1, I only know that it features character from Before The Storm.

What I would recommend is playing Before The Storm first, it's not very long, it's great, and if you like it you will probably want to play LiS 1 to know the rest, and if you didn't like it, you will know the series is not for you and you wouldn't have wasted too much time. And it's in my opinion a lot better to play this one before LiS 1, as it makes the story in LiS 1 a lot more impactful, I wish I played them in that order, but before the storm came out after so...

Rickyiez

She looks like a low detail DMCV Nico

nico-goldstein-lg.jpg

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

No, it is not necessary to have played the previous video games. They're standalone stories, although I can bet they'd cross-over all the games in a future installment.

I have in physical Life is Strange Before Storm Limited Edition ... But I have not played it out of laziness xD.

And the for the worst case is that I bought the videogame 3 years ago and I have not even introduced the game in the ps4 console XDDD .

Nahhh is average... For worst game is The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit... That game is a big mistake.

Last edited:

april6e

I need reviews before I would bother trying the series again.

Life is Strange and Before the Storm are both amazing. Captain/Life is Strange 2 were extremely mediocre and damaged my goodwill with the series. I don't see how they can top the first game. They should just continue the story with Max in college. Chloe and Max are the fascinating characters that I want more of and are the reason the series blew up.

Last edited:

TonyK

I don't know what to do with this game. I liked Life is Strange 1 and 2, but totally disliked Before the storm. Knowing that Before the storm developers, instead Dontnod, are doing this sequel makes me fear it will be boringgzzZZ.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I don't care, it looks good. Can't wait to play it. It's finally again by the good devs, not Dontnod, which kind of fall from grace.

Everything they've shown so far makes it look like it's light-years ahead of the abysmal LiS 2. Square Enix made the right call taking DontNod out of the picture, and giving Deck Nine a shot at a mainline entry. I would like them to show off more of how the powers work before release, but hey, at least the player character actually has powers this time unlike LiS 2.

Other than that, big upgrade in terms of visuals, writing seems like it's capturing what made the first game charming and even improving on certain areas. Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Life is Strange franchise is known for its ability to tell emotional stories with a dash of the supernatural, and developer Deck Nine looks to continue that tradition. Join GI as we go hands-on with Life is Strange: True Colors and show off some new looks at the game's first chapter.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

I really thought the second life is strange had the best story. I really enjoyed that one.

If they can get the gameplay and story tightened I'm all in this time.

Everything they've shown so far makes it look like it's light-years ahead of the abysmal LiS 2. Square Enix made the right call taking DontNod out of the picture, and giving Deck Nine a shot at a mainline entry. I would like them to show off more of how the powers work before release, but hey, at least the player character actually has powers this time unlike LiS 2.

Other than that, big upgrade in terms of visuals, writing seems like it's capturing what made the first game charming and even improving on certain areas. Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.
Only thing im worried about is the length. 60 dollars is big ask. Wonder if its a semi open world and they are just hiding it.

Only thing im worried about is the length. 60 dollars is big ask. Wonder if its a semi open world and they are just hiding it.

Since the setting of Haven Springs itself is a small town in Colorado (pretty sure it's based off the similarly named Idaho Springs), I wouldn't expect it to be too big, but probably a big-ish hub area. They have been mentioning that you get to run around freely and explore the town. That'd suggest to me that it's at least decently big with side stuff in the mix. At least I'd hope so, since Deck Nine has been working on this game since 2017.

Reading some previews and checking the extra tidbits of footage dropping today (some new stuff at the end of the GI video posted earlier) and it's encouraging IMO. One of the things I appreciated about the original LiS was that it retained a degree of puzzle solving that the narrative adventure games from TellTale had more or less purged in their post-Walking Dead games. LiS 2 got away from that and even little sequences, like at the end of the GI video where Alex is referencing clues in a drawing to find her way through a woods/factory area, are a step in the right direction for me. Just add some clever use of the empath powers and this game could be really good.

Top Bottom