• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leyou has halted trading, expect acquisition announcement soon

whitesugar

Banned
well, it would be an interesting purchase that's for sure. the history of the studios seems mixed to say the least. The rumoured price is quite high, and does make you wonder what they could purchase instead for the same amount. But when it comes down to it, it ain't my money.

If it is SOny, I will look at it with optimism like I am with a few of the studios that MS recently bought, and hope with some better guidance and maybe a bit more funding they can step up and at least make some decent games.

Sony black a powerful multiplayer game. Maybe with this purchase they get ips, engines and talent to launch a new multiplayer game or use an existing IP to add multiplayer to it.

Sony will want to share in dat mtx lootbox cash

3liteDragon

Well for SIE in this case, it’s the talent behind the these multiplayer games that are the most valuable to them more than their IP’s. Dude if Tencent acquired them.....

Last edited:

cragarmi

Sony have been doing a lot of ground work in China, with their China Heroes project, so this move is not too surprising. Although this project is mainly aimed at indies. There are a lot of promising devs in China, but any who wish to make a move to a larger studio in sonys portfolio would have to leave China to do so. If Sony bought out Leyou it could entice the talent pool?

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Seeing as everybody is buying everybody else, I just want to put it out there that I myself am up for purchase. £99.99, or £89.99 of you buy me pizza too.

I’m pretty much shit at most things, but I make a mean cheese sandwich.

Hit me up investors 📞📞📞

Kokoloko85

They have a lot of things going on..... They have Warframe, A LOTR MMO being made with Amazon, Splash Damage that made lots of multiplayer stuff like Gears multiplayer, The Telltale properties and they also have the rights to make games based on Hasbro..... GI Joe and Transformers etc.

But the studio quality is dubious at best. IMO.

They could want studios in China also for the reduced cost and potential quality.

Hopefully this doesnt mean they couldn’t aqquire another company they had there eye on.
Or they only had resources to buy only one company and went with Leyou...

Its a great choice for many reasons but I want them to purchase or make a more traditional team Too

Bryank75

Banned
Looks like Tencent....

Last edited:

PresetError

Neophyte
It's Tencent.

On one hand I'm happy Sony lost the bidding war because I didn't like the focus on multiplayer and with an investment of that size you have to expect a big emphasis on that kind of games following up.

On the other hand, if that was Sony's plan I don't think losing Leyou will change that plan so there's no reason o be happy.

Xplainin

Banned
Looks like Tencent....

1.1 Billion dollar value? I think Sony did well by missing out. Thats crazy money for them.

Dabaus

Banned
If sony was hell bent on gaining a foothold in the multiplayer scene and willing to spend at least a billion to get into it, do you think thatd be enough to convince bungie to be a first party studio? Would they even want to sell?

Castef

Banned
Looks like Tencent....

Yep, that's clearly Tencent.

I guess that if they arrived at this point the acquisition is basically done.

John Wick

Then you have that $250 million minority stake on Epic... That's a lot of money, but we're talking about Epic here. $250 million on Epic sounds like chump change. I could think of a million other ways to spend that money, but you do you, Sony!
The Epic stake makes sense as Sony can use their engines and tools in more than just games. Movies and shows is another area. Also they could develop some exclusives in the future and provide additional engine enhancement and support.
Sony are probably seeking studios with multiplayer experience. They lack those type of games. They already have enough for single player and can just expand their current ones if need be.

Last edited:
If sony was hell bent on gaining a foothold in the multiplayer scene and willing to spend at least a billion to get into it, do you think thatd be enough to convince bungie to be a first party studio? Would they even want to sell?

Bungie wants to be independent. It's why they left MS.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Tencent will close the deal.

While I do not think this would be a great collection of studios for MSFT to acquire it is a shame that Splash Damage and Certain Affinity are both "off the market" now. Those studios have a history of FPS games and have done good work on Halo and Gears in the past. Seems like they would be good to have as part of the Xbox team.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Bungie wants to be independent. It's why they left MS.
That's what they say.

But when the moneybag is dangled in their face, they'll sell out to Activision or NetEase. In fact, NetEase is even a bigger sell out because Bungie sold a stake in their company and seats at their board of directors table. I don't think Activision's Destiny partnership was that deep.

Last edited:

tryDEATH

Sony should have bought them.

Can't stand the invasion of these Chinese companies just buying up huge chunks of industries they have no legitimate interest in bar the harvesting of information and slowly spreading their censorship.

LordCBH

Shame....I fucking loved Warframe enough to buy some of the premium frames because I wanted to support the studio since the game was free. But owned by Tencent means it’s getting uninstalled as soon as I get home.

BRZBlue

Everyone ragging on Warframe, when its been a better game than anything 343i or Bungie has put out in years, LOL

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
No, I don't want to hear it! AAAAAH
My friends have been playing it for 5 years and only have 600 hours or so on it man. They also have everything they possibly could get without spending any money. What are you doing my man? The Switch version has been out for 1 year and 6 months, that is a crazy ass number. I'm impressed/slightly concerned.

there are 8760 hours in a year

yoSJU8K.png

ShinNL

My friends have been playing it for 5 years and only have 600 hours or so on it man. They also have everything they possibly could get without spending any money. What are you doing my man? The Switch version has been out for 1 year and 6 months, that is a crazy ass number. I'm impressed/slightly concerned.

there are 8760 hours in a year

yoSJU8K.png
I'm being bombarded with truth bombs, HALP

This must stink for Xbox Studios, they have practically been feeding Splash Damage since 2015. This is like the 3rd? 4th? “Partner” Studio that got snapped up in front of their noses.

Top Bottom