• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Level-5 Working on an Unannounced Game

Bullet Club

Level-5 Working on an Unannounced Game​

Today Level-5 President Akihiro Hino revealed that the Japanese studio has something new in store.

The information was provided in a group interview on the Japanese website 4Gamer.

Hino-san mentioned that the studio will focus on making games as the center of its activity of 2021, while also cooperating in the production of animation and other media.

They’re working on an unannounced new game. While he cannot share any details yet, development is progressing steadily, so fans are encouraged to look forward to it.

At the moment, no further hint or information about the game has been revealed.

In the meanwhile, we’re waiting for the release of Megaton-Kyuu Musashi, which is a mecha action JRPG with online co-op. At the moment a western release for that one has not been announced or even hinted at. That being said, the Tokyo Game Show stream was in English.

It features a collaboration with Jump, so it includes plenty of tropes and a visual style that can appeal to Weekly Shonen Jump readers. Unsurprisingly, an anime series is also coming in summer 2021.

Source: Twinfinite

RareJordan

Didn’t they say that they’re not localizing games for the west anymore? Either way I’m always interested to see what they’re working on. I like their style.

Didn’t they say that they’re not localizing games for the west anymore? Either way I’m always interested to see what they’re working on. I like their style.
They're not self-publishing / localizing. It's never been stated that they wouldn't be willing to sell their games to other publishers if it was wanted. But do they really need permanent, salaried north American employees? Probably not.

If they actually make a game that could move units in the west, I'd bet on Nintendo or Sony publishing it.

Last edited:

Royal-Slime

Banned
No, the news were that they're in financial trouble or something like that. They did announce Yokai Watch 4 a while ago but it never got localized. Snack World took some time but eventually was dropped without barely any marketing. I think YW 4 still has a chance but who knows... Shame because I hate the battle system in YW 1-3 but 4 looked interesting. I don't know what the hell they're doing localizing Snack World but not YW4. Level-5 needs better management, maybe going under Square Enix or Nintendo would serve them well. I look at the games they make and it all screams "mediocre".

Last edited:

Hudo

There was this interview earlier this year (or 2019?) where Hino and Horii strongly hinted at Dragon Quest 9 Remake... so I hope whatever Level-5 are doing, this is part of it.

Last edited:

Dazraell

Well, I'm personally hoping for a new Professor Layton game. They're probably working on something more substantial and less interesting though.

at the time it seemed like a dream matchup when they announced they were partnering with Studio Ghibli, turned out to be a disaster.
How was it a disaster? Both NNK games sold over a million copies within their first year and that's not counting the remaster of NNK1.

NNK2 was made specificly for the west and it sold very well for a niche title selling over 900K within 2-3 months and having DLC/season pass.

Ryu Kaiba

How was it a disaster? Both NNK games sold over a million copies within their first year and that's not counting the remaster of NNK1.

NNK2 was made specificly for the west and it sold very well for a niche title selling over 900K within 2-3 months and having DLC/season pass.
There output used to be much more impressive and varied, I imagine they'd still be viewed as the next Square Enix or even be on equal footing with them by now if they stuck to their own path.

There output used to be much more impressive and varied, I imagine they'd still be viewed as the next Square Enix or even be on equal footing with them by now if they stuck to their own path.
They really shot themselves in the foot with their multimedia projects like Yokai Watch, and when this guy joined :
P25375-2183884752.1501115532.jpg

I think they won't be around (independently at least) much longer.

Last edited:
No, the news were that they're in financial trouble or something like that. They did announce Yokai Watch 4 a while ago but it never got localized. Snack World took some time but eventually was dropped without barely any marketing. I think YW 4 still has a chance but who knows... Shame because I hate the battle system in YW 1-3 but 4 looked interesting. I don't know what the hell they're doing localizing Snack World but not YW4. Level-5 needs better management, maybe going under Square Enix or Nintendo would serve them well. I look at the games they make and it all screams "mediocre".
I want Sony to acquire them, they have a closer relationship... and DC3.

I want Sony to acquire them, they have a closer relationship... and DC3.

This shouldve happened years ago. Level-5 running for sony exclusively would be fire.

The only thing is that Level-5, while their output is good, isnt the best option for sony - there are others who are better choices to acquire before Level 5.

In time I guess.

Top Bottom