• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's settle this... can PS5 disc-based games be installed without an internet connection?

I keep hearing about people having to download data in order to install a game from disc. I first heard about this with AC Valhalla, then with Mortal Kombat and now with Resident Evil Village. I thought Sony came out and said that disc-based games do not need an internet connection to install and play.

Can you guys help me out and see which PS5 disc games will or will not install with no connection to the internet? I'm really curious if it's a real thing or if it's user error. I can't imagine these UHD blu-rays can't hold a 50GB game.

I'm not talking about day one patches or anything like that. Just version 1.0 that shipped on the disc. It would be really crappy if you are forced to have an internet connection to play a game you bought on physical media.

Let's settle this!

laynelane

I had a situation with a PS4 game where I couldn't play it until it installed an update. I didn't have internet at the time and so couldn't play the physical copy of a game I bought. I hadn't heard that Sony said this would not happen on PS5. Would be great if true.

Blond

Banned
Yes you can. Some games may stop you from launching but you can honestly bypass that unless it’s something like COD.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Yes you can. Some games may stop you from launching but you can honestly bypass that unless it’s something like COD.

Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate doesn't include the whole game on the PS5 disc. The PS4 version DOES, but the PS5 disc just includes the base game and then has a download code for the Ultimate content.

ethomaz

Banned
He said PS5. Not specifically Sony.

There are games on the PS5 that need to download most of the game.

It's no different on Xbox or even Switch.
Like I said all Sony games on PS5 plays offline (except the online multiplayer ones) just with the disc data... the updates improves or add content.
So yes you can in fact PS4 and/or PS5 were developed to play games just with the disc content.

The issue is that Publishers are shipping the game unfinished and putting big day one updates to make the game playable... that is something should not happen.

Game going Gold should be a fully playable image.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Some Call of Duty games need to download most of the game on PS4 (I think BO3?), there was fuck all on the disc, could be some cases like that.
Mostly though, no I don't believe so.

Blond

Banned
Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate doesn't include the whole game on the PS5 disc. The PS4 version DOES, but the PS5 disc just includes the base game and then has a download code for the Ultimate content.
Well that’s most ultimate/goty editions since last gen. They’ve long since stopped doing that and just recall old disc with new cover art and a slip in card and reselling at full price. Shit like that is why I understand why some people want the all digital edition .

ManaByte

Gold Member
Well that’s most ultimate/goty editions since last gen. They’ve long since stopped doing that and just recall old disc with new cover art and a slip in card and reselling at full price. Shit like that is why I understand why some people want the all digital edition .

The Ultimate edition is also an 80+ gig install.

Turn off wifi, put a disc in, and check?
I only have Spider-Man for PS5 on disc and AC Valhalla is the PS4 version because it’s my wife’s disc. I was hoping some people here could test their games to see if they install or not.

I know it’s not a problem “now” but with the recent news about the c-bomb and stuff, I wanted to see what couldn’t be played offline completely

I think the you haven't even mentioned the worst offenders of these I'm pretty sure black ops needed like 80 + gigs and modern warfare also required ridiculous amount before you can even play the campaign
What did people do on day one if they live in an area without internet?

Blond

Banned
The Ultimate edition is also an 80+ gig install.

it’s sounds like it’s more of an unlock code then vs additional download but then again I don’t own it so I can’t really say til I get around to buying it. But fighting games by and large require you to download everything regardless of ownership to ensure proper matchmaking.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
it’s sounds like it’s more of an unlock code then vs additional download but then again I don’t own it so I can’t really say til I get around to buying it. But fighting games by and large require you to download everything regardless of ownership to ensure proper matchmaking.
But... proper matchmaking requires an internet connection anyway so that's kind of irrelevant to this particular question.

Step 1: find a game that has at least some single player component.

Quezacolt

Very few games require internet connection in order to be playable, people usually exagerate the number. None of the games i have for ps5 needed that i downloaded anything in order for me to play after installing from the disk, same for 99% of the games i own on ps4 (exception being cyberpunk), neither do i have that issue with any of my Switch games.

Very few games require internet connection in order to be playable, people usually exagerate the number. None of the games i have for ps5 needed that i downloaded anything in order for me to play after installing from the disk, same for 99% of the games i own on ps4 (exception being cyberpunk), neither do i have that issue with any of my Switch games.
Like I said, I heard AC Valhalla is really small on disc and the rest has to be downloaded and now there are reports that RE:V is the same.

killatopak

that shit is peanuts. at least you can have the luxury of having part of the game content transferred from the disc to console.

Some Switch games don't even have a cart inside. It's just a code inside.

I had a situation with a PS4 game where I couldn't play it until it installed an update. I didn't have internet at the time and so couldn't play the physical copy of a game I bought. I hadn't heard that Sony said this would not happen on PS5. Would be great if true.
Is this the Doom (classic) release? Or some other game did it as well?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Something like that doesn't even make sense because not everyone is hooked up to the net, and it means the studio coded the game to not work straight off a vanilla disc.

So they knew during disc pressing time to deny access unless an updated was downloaded.

Talk about shady.

It was DMC: Devil May Cry. So, Doom did it too. It's pretty frustrating to buy a single-player game and not be able play it without an online connection. :messenger_pensive:
Yup, it is.

I think it's turdparty studios that do this.... Hardly a Sony issue (but an issue anyway).

Thankfully you can play it offline once it's installed no?

laynelane

Yup, it is.

I think it's turdparty studios that do this.... Hardly a Sony issue (but an issue anyway).

Thankfully you can play it offline once it's installed no?

Yeah, I just had to wait a while until I had internet again. Capcom was up to all sorts of shenanigans at the time and this was just another on the list.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
If you live in a remote enough rural place ( :lollipop_raising_hand: ), you can be paying a ton for just 50 or (if you're fortunate) 150GB of total internet a month with steep fees for exceeding it -- so it really does matter. I'd never purchase a physical game that requires more than 20GB of downloaded data just to play, on principle.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Laynelane,

What game was it? Just curious.

Even if you were playing SP, if the game has offline bot mode the studio might be trying to jam in patches so even offline bot mode works similar to online MP.

Last edited:

laynelane

Laynelane,

What game was it? Just curious.

Even if you were playing SP, if the game has offline bot mode the studio might be trying to jam in patches so even offline bot mode works similar to online MP.

It was DMC: Devil May Cry. Now that I'm thinking on it more deeply, I can't remember if it was the PS3 or PS4 version I had trouble with. Either way, it was a real shock at the time.

That's not true, most complete editions have all the DLC and patches upto that point on the disc. In this case Netherealm has done this with EVERY complete edition they have ever come out with except this PS5 release of MK11.

skakmk

Not sure about Valhalla, but no Call of Duty game since world war 2 works with the disk.

I gave up on WW2's campaign cause where I am from, the time needed to download the 80GB disk update was greater than the time needed to finish the campaign.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
Can’t return open games
Amazon will let you.
That's not true, most complete editions have all the DLC and patches upto that point on the disc. In this case Netherealm has done this with EVERY complete edition they have ever come out with except this PS5 release of MK11.
Not true.

Street Fighter V Arcade Edition
Final Fantasy Royal Edition
Nioh Complete
Fallout 4 GOTY
Spider-Man 18
Nier GOTY
Shadow of War

Just the ones I can personally think of where the implied content was on a disc but required a voucher. This isn’t anything new, it’s cheaper to print a code and a new box art than it is entirely new disc.

Blu-ray has a max capacity of 50 gigabytes. If you’re installing a game larger than that, it stands to reason that you wouldn’t be able to play it without the additional content required to download. Games are getting bigger with each generation. This will be the standard soon.

Amazon will let you.

Not true.

Street Fighter V Arcade Edition
Final Fantasy Royal Edition
Nioh Complete
Fallout 4 GOTY
Spider-Man 18
Nier GOTY
Shadow of War

Just the ones I can personally think of where the implied content was on a disc but required a voucher. This isn’t anything new, it’s cheaper to print a code and a new box art than it is entirely new disc.
Witcher 3
Diablo 3
Dying Light
Injustice 1
Injustice 2
MK9
MKX
Every other version of MK11
Horizon
RE7
Shadow of War does on the EU version
Shadow of the Tomb Raider
Dark Souls 3
MGSV

Off the top of my head. I'd imagine after developers put years and years into a game want their hard word released in some kind of state where it can be preserved. Its why Spyro was released with like half a game on the disc in the initial print but the devs made new discs that had all three games on the disc, but Activision didn't bother making new box art so even discs that had everything on the disc still said require internet connection on the front box art. It all depends on how penny pinching the publisher is and luckily in most cases it works out for the best.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Blu-ray has a max capacity of 50 gigabytes. If you’re installing a game larger than that, it stands to reason that you wouldn’t be able to play it without the additional content required to download. Games are getting bigger with each generation. This will be the standard soon.

Doesn't the PS5 use UHD Blueray at 100 gigabytes?

McCheese

People forget that disk copies of games get revision updates which include patches and such, so if you are serious about owning a physical collection that'll survive the test of time don't buy the launch edition, wait a year or so.

Top Bottom