• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's Address The Elephant In The Room. Switch OLED is ONLY $50 cheaper than a PS5

MagnesG

Banned
Remember they will be selling at a loss so yes. Example if it cost like 400-500 to make a Vita 2 and they sold it at 300 they seeling it at a loss to gain marketshakre it is business 101.
Business 101 also tells you that there's a limit to the subsidization, how to recoup the costs after either by software sales or subscriptions or anything. What's the strategy here that Sony hasn't done to recoup it similar to the Vita era, that still flopped? How many times do I have to spell it out to you?

Retarded through and through.

Can't have a real discussion when trolls are gonna troll lol
Says you.

Last edited:
Business 101 also tells you that there's a limit to the subsidization, how to recoup the costs after either by software sales or subscriptions or anything. What's the strategy here that Sony hasn't done to recoup it similar to the Vita era, that still flopped? How many times do I have to spell it out to you?

Retarded through and through.

Says you.
Im not a troll the hell are you even saying? do you see me going around and saying PS5 or Xbox or Switch has no games like that fool pathetic respond i expected better man.

IUqZijC.png

Anyways The Vita 2 is possible at the price point i suggest Nintendo and Sony operate at different spectrum Nintendo try to sell you the weakest hardware wile charging the most money for it wile Sony is willing to take huge loss and try to gain market share. Sony already show that they are willing to take massive loss on hardware sales as they did so during the early PS3 days.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
Anyways The Vita 2 is possible at the price point i suggest Nintendo and Sony operate at different spectrum Nintendo try to sell you the weakest hardware wile charging the most money for it wile Sony is willing to take huge loss and try to gain market share. Sony already show that they are willing to take massive loss on hardware sales as they did so during the early PS3 days.
They have always done that, consoles or portable selling it at a loss at the start. What is different here between PSP/PS3 - PS5 vs Vita is that they just aren't able to constantly control the software production at an acceptable level. Vita flopped because Sony can't support it, they are busy supporting PS4 at that point. Vita hardware is also flawed because of the overpriced proprietary memory cards dependence, effectively killing the digital sales at large. Sony did that to recoup the costs, but it just backfired in the end.

What makes you think that Sony could launch Vita 2 and be able to support it with PS5 at the same time? Assuming they are nailing the hardware and pricing in the first place.

They have always done that, consoles or portable selling it at a loss at the start. What is different here between PSP/PS3 - PS5 vs Vita is that they just aren't able to constantly control the software production at an acceptable level. Vita flopped because Sony can't support it, they are busy supporting PS4 at that point. Vita hardware is also flawed because of the overpriced proprietary memory cards dependence, effectively killing the digital sales at large. Sony did that to recoup the costs, but it just backfired in the end.

What makes you think that Sony could launch Vita 2 and be able to support it with PS5 at the same time? Assuming they are nailing the hardware and pricing in the first place.
Back than the tech was not fully there but now in 2021 i think a Vita 2 with good enough specs to run all PS4 and PS5 games at 720p - 1080p in a handheld is possible in that price range. The Steam Deck prove that all it takes is someone at Sony greenlight it. I like Nintendo don't get me wrong but i also game on other console and what not so when i see others with better hardware i want Nintendo to do better does not mean i hate them.

MagnesG

Banned
Back than the tech was not fully there but now in 2021 i think a Vita 2 with good enough specs to run all PS4 and PS5 games at 720p - 1080p in a handheld is possible in that price range. The Steam Deck prove that all it takes is someone at Sony greenlight it. I like Nintendo don't get me wrong but i also game on other console and what not so when i see others with better hardware i want Nintendo to do better does not mean i hate them.
Then that is not Vita 2 that you're asking for, PS4/5 portable is what you mean. Assuming that Sony managed to unify the console parities at a certain level, how would they deal with the latest tech games fully utilizing PS5 specs not coming to the portable side then? With streaming? Like what I proposed before, a streaming secondary console in essential? We're going in circles now.

Your relationship with Nintendo is unrelated to this discussion, but at least Nintendo is realistic when they design and price something.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Craig of War, you do realize that sony's "selling at a loss" technique between the PS3 and the Vita nearly wiped out ALL of the profits from the ps1 and ps2 eras. It burned them badly enough that without a major gaurantee of returned costs, don't expect any significant "loss" consoles from them again.

Btw, for comparison, for $250 you can get a Tablet with windows 10s, Intel Celeron N4100, 6 gigabytes of RAM, 128gb MMC, and a 10 inch 1920x1200 screen off of amazon. I know because I've been shopping for a mobile x86/64 system for windows use and light mobile windows gaming. Sadly the "affordable" GPD Win idea is dead. :(

Also, the Steam deck is just way out of my $200 interest zone, if it don't offer something really special or something I REALLY need, it ain't worth it. Been burned too many times going over that, for both PC and console investments. :(

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
The game will be optimised it a PC it lets you adjust the settings how ever you feel like. Storage speed only improve load times the game will still run fine off of the SD card even.
To a degree. But the issues here are:

1. On PC there are currently only separate texture packs for things like 4k, not optional lower resolution ones. Will there be enough incentive for developers to make them?
  2. Game settings go a long way to accommodate for different amounts of processing power, but more efficiency can still be gained by specifically coding games for target hardware. The incentive for that with the Deck likely won't be there.
  3. Some games are specifically designed, including things like the art style chosen, to look good on specific hardware. This has absolutely been done for the Switch.
  4. Storage speeds affect more than just load times when they are at SD card speeds.

sunnysideup

Banned
I think steam deck just fuck owned the oled switch.

Switch oled is aimed at grown ups and not kids, same market as the deck.

Then that is not Vita 2 that you're asking for, PS4/5 portable is what you mean. Assuming that Sony managed to unify the console parities at a certain level, how would they deal with the latest tech games fully utilizing PS5 specs not coming to the portable side then? With streaming? Like what I proposed before, a streaming secondary console in essential? We're going in circles now.

Your relationship with Nintendo is unrelated to this discussion, but at least Nintendo is realistic when they design and price something.
"but at least Nintendo is realistic when they design and price something"

How they overpriced the Switch now.

Craig of War, you do realize that sony's "selling at a loss" technique between the PS3 and the Vita nearly wiped out ALL of the profits from the ps1 and ps2 eras. It burned them badly enough that without a major gaurantee of returned costs, don't expect any significant "loss" consoles from them again.

Btw, for comparison, for $250 you can get a Tablet with windows 10s, Intel Celeron N4100, 6 gigabytes of RAM, 128gb MMC, and a 10 inch 1920x1200 screen off of amazon. I know because I've been shopping for a mobile x86/64 system for windows use and light mobile windows gaming. Sadly the "affordable" GPD Win idea is dead. :(

Also, the Steam deck is just way out of my $200 interest zone, if it don't offer something really special or something I REALLY need, it ain't worth it. Been burned too many times going over that, for both PC and console investments. :(
OK Cool you do you

FStubbs

To a degree. But the issues here are:

1. On PC there are currently only separate texture packs for things like 4k, not optional lower resolution ones. Will there be enough incentive for developers to make them?
  2. Game settings go a long way to accommodate for different amounts of processing power, but more efficiency can still be gained by specifically coding games for target hardware. The incentive for that with the Deck likely won't be there.
  3. Some games are specifically designed, including things like the art style chosen, to look good on specific hardware. This has absolutely been done for the Switch.
  4. Storage speeds affect more than just load times when they are at SD card speeds.
There will be if the Steamdeck sells a lot. Any game that exists on Switch, PS4, or Xbox Series S will have textures that could be used on Steamdeck, especially since Steamdeck is much more powerful than the first 2 systems.

Top Bottom