• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's Address The Elephant In The Room. Switch OLED is ONLY $50 cheaper than a PS5

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
The whole point is that if Sony or Microsoft were to make a powerful handheld they would make a custom OS for the handheld it won't run windows lol.

I know that.........would be nice if one of them.wpuld actually do that. Ms should have made the S a portable.......

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Like i said if Sony were to make it they would sell it at a loss to try and gain marketshare, wile making up the loss money with software sales. That the whole point.
they won't take a loss of 400 bucks per handheld.

Banned
I know that.........would be nice if one of them.wpuld actually do that. Ms should have made the S a portable.......

I mean, if we expect tech to shrink at a steady rate, this could become possible within 4 years or so.
the S is already super low power and has a pretty small SoC

I could see them releasing it as a portable down the line maybe. call it the Xbox Series S Portable.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Nope as time goes on the tech will improve and price will be lower GTA 6 will not be out until 2025 at the earliest so tech will improve and price will lower by than.
It's not as easy as you think it is. A handheld that plays GTA 6 needs to be at PS5 level or close to it. It will take at least 4 or 5 years till the hardware is ready to be commercially sold and believe me, the hardware will never be sold for 250 bucks, even if Sony subsidizes. Thats wishful thinking from your side.

It's not as easy as you think it is. A handheld that plays GTA 6 needs to be at PS5 level or close to it. It will take at least 4 or 5 years till the hardware is ready to be commercially sold and believe me, the hardware will never be sold for 250 bucks, even if Sony subsidizes. Thats wishful thinking from your side.
You should take a look at this it very powerful.

skit_data

SruOAXy.jpg

MtgF0Ub.gif

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member

So roughly PS4 levels with more modern architecture. It's a low tier PC essentially. This won't play GTA 6 at a satisfactory level. Expect 20 FPS with dips. Maybe not even that.
Valve already needs to subsidize a lot here to sell at 400 bucks.

So roughly PS4 levels with more modern architecture. It's a low tier PC essentially. This won't play GTA 6 at a satisfactory level. Expect 20 FPS with dips. Maybe not even that.
Valve already needs to subsidize a lot here to sell at 400 bucks.
Since we are getting 20 FPS with dips on Switch games right now i will let this meme play for you lol

bH6vuxF.gif

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I did not.
I am just realistic.
Unlike you, who wants the best hardware at a bargain bin price and thinks a Vita 2 would be great idea for Sony.

The Steam Deck is impressive for what it is, but it's not a platform to play an AAA next gen game releasing in 2025.
Obviously you could run the game on the Deck, it's a PC after all, but GTA 6 would run like the Switch version of Ark. If you're lucky.
I could also run GTA 6 on a GPD WIN, but it would run like garbage. The hardware isn't built for games like that.

Since we are getting 20 FPS with dips on Switch games right now i will let this meme play for you lol
The games (Witcher 3, Doom etc.) you probably talking about run at 27-30 FPS with dips, which is far more playable than 20 FPS with dips. Only the worst offenders like Ark run at 20 FPS or below and its universally agreed upon that Ark is a terrible game on Switch.
GTA 6 on the Deck wouldn't run at 27-30 FPS, which is comparable to the performance of GTA V on Xbox 360, it would run far far worse, close to unplayable perhaps.
20 FPS is a rough estimate, the correct performance is probably below that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not.
I am just realistic.
Unlike you, who wants the best hardware at a bargain bin price and thinks a Vita 2 would be great idea for Sony.

The Steam Deck is impressive for what it is, but it's not a platform to play an AAA next gen game releasing in 2025.
Obviously you could run the game on the Deck, it's a PC after all, but GTA 6 would run like the Switch version of Ark. If you're lucky.
I could also run GTA 6 on a GPD WIN, but it would run like garbage. The hardware isn't built for games like that.

The games (Witcher 3, Doom etc.) you probably talking about run at 27-30 FPS with dips, which is far more playable than 20 FPS with dips. Only the worst offenders like Ark run at 20 FPS or below and its universally agreed upon that Ark is a terrible game on Switch.
GTA 6 on the Deck wouldn't run at 27-30 FPS, which is comparable to the performance of GTA V on Xbox 360, it would run far far worse, close to unplayable perhaps.
20 FPS is a rough estimate, the correct performance is probably below that.
Vita 2 would be great idea for Sony yes. The Steam Deck is only the first version of it, if it does great than by 2025-2026 there will be revision of it that would be more powerful so yes i can see GTA 6 running on it. Switch is only gone to run games worst and worst as time goes on i don't know when the new switch 2 will come out but my guess is at least 2024 so yeah it will be bad until than.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Vita 2 would be great idea for Sony yes. The Steam Deck is only the first version of it, if it does great than by 2025-2026 there will be revision of it that would be more powerful so yes i can see GTA 6 running on it. Switch is only gone to run games worst and worst as time goes on i don't know when the new switch 2 will come out but my guess is at least 2024 so yeah it will be bad until than.
Vita sold poorly, was hardly supported by Sony and doesn't have prestige. If Sony ever does another handheld, it will be a PSP2 or an entirely new named system.
Now a more powerful version of the Deck releasing in 2024/25 could probably run GTA 6 at a playable level (27-30FPS perhaps, maybe more if the game is very scalable), but the one coming up... nah.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vita sold poorly, was hardly supported by Sony and doesn't have prestige. If Sony ever does another handheld, it will be a PSP2 or an entirely new named system.
Now a more powerful version of the Deck releasing in 2024/25 could probably run GTA 6 at a playable level (27-30FPS perhaps, maybe more if the game is very scalable), but the one coming up... nah.
I know i never said the Vita sold god like just saying that i would love a Vita 2 and PSP and Vita are the same thing Vita is a PSP but with a different name lol

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
PSP and Vita are the same thing Vita is a PSP but with a different name lol
The difference is that with the PSP Sony made a handheld many people have nostalgia for. It was a successful system and people remember it fondly. Well, except the disc drive. The Vita was a good handheld, but underutilized and dropped by Sony like a stone. It sold bad. Not many people know about the Vita or forget about it. The PSP has much more prestige. Thats why naming a new handheld after it makes more sense than naming it after the Vita.

No. You're delusional hoping for a $250 portable that's running on latest tech, in any time, in any way in history.

That Steam Deck has shit battery. Son even $400 can't even solve that.
Remember they will be selling at a loss so yes. Example if it cost like 400-500 to make a Vita 2 and they sold it at 300 they seeling it at a loss to gain marketshakre it is business 101.

I mean, if we expect tech to shrink at a steady rate, this could become possible within 4 years or so.
the S is already super low power and has a pretty small SoC

I could see them releasing it as a portable down the line maybe. call it the Xbox Series S Portable.

Xbox Series S Portable
XSSP
XSP
Excess pee

Tams

Gold Member
Dude the Steam Deck is just announce at 400 with good enough specs to run all AAA titles lol

Mate, that's the base version that won't have games optimised for the poor storage size and speed. The Switch has games tailored made to get around that.
And at about twice the weight, a few inches longer, and thicker. You ain't going to be playing many AAA titles on the base version.

Mate, that's the base version that won't have games optimised for the poor storage size and speed. The Switch has games tailored made to get around that.
And at about twice the weight, a few inches longer, and thicker. You ain't going to be playing many AAA titles on the base version.
The game will be optimised it a PC it lets you adjust the settings how ever you feel like. Storage speed only improve load times the game will still run fine off of the SD card even.

Last edited:
Top Bottom